Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Thanks DucRider_NL for the engine table above.

The original engine that came with my bike is the DieCast 998 US Version and NO Deep Sump.
That is why I decided to replace it with a 2005 999S engine from Japan (same as EU) that is Deep Sump and has Pankl Ti Con-Rod but it is a Die Cast with super low mileage.
I was specifically looking for a 999S engine from 2005 and newer because starting 2005 and newer the 999S came with improve cylinder head design, Pankl Ti Con-Rod and LIGHTENED Crankshaft from the factory.
Yes, if you look at the picture of my stock 2005 999S crankshaft BEFORE the balance/polish/knifeedge and compare it to several 999S used crankshaft now available on eBay from 2004 and older engine, you can see that my stock 2005 999S crankshaft from the Japan engine have a much smaller profile because it is lighten version.

Back to about the current engine configuration:
I found a Brand New Old Stock 2006 999S Crankcase EU Version so the CrankCase in this build is Brand New but it is a Die Cast. I didn't want to use 999R engine because the Pistal over bore kit is available only for the 999S. The 999R complete engine is also harder to find in low mileage and not abused condition.
I also purchase brand new cylinder block and piston, STM Dry Clutch, Generator, Starter, Primary Gear, Ducati Performance Lightened belt gear, Oil Pump, both side cover (clutch and generator), Water Pump, cylinder block/head side covers, Cylinder head magnesium Cover and now the crankshaft and con-rod (Carrillo) will also be new.
So in the end, the only parts that I used from that 2005 999S Japan engine will be the cylinder head and gear box.

Now, there is one parts that will increase the performance maybe another 15hp (according to the engine builder) that I just decided to upgrade and it is from a 999R. I will post it here once I place the order 😉

DucRider_NL

I finally have a chance to open the box and these Certificates came out:
View attachment 7854View attachment 7855

But for what...
well
for
these:

Original MS Production Left and Right Carbon Fiber intakes with provision for mounting turn signal (Strada/Street Version).
But why Street version, well first, the larger intakes means it will require the larger inlet on the front fairing/cowling so that will not be the original Ducati 998 plastic front cowling,...
Wait why I like plastic front cowling,... well because I want it to look like a stock 998s FE from fairing point of view. I actually like the fairing to be in red color outside and inside surface.
Second the larger inlet also do not have provision for mounting the turn signal, and I do want a turn signal because I am building a street bike not a race bike.
So I might lose some potential top end of my big bore 999 engine... but that is ok... I don't need ultimate power, just ultimate looks that I love :love:
View attachment 7856View attachment 7857

By the way, look at the quality of those threaded insert for the turn signal. so so nice...
View attachment 7858View attachment 7859
View attachment 7860View attachment 7861

For the record, I actually ordered a matte carbon color of similar intake from Carbon4US through Bellissimoto, but Carbon4US from Italy had not deliver since 6 months ago... with no news to Bellissimoto as well.
So hopefully sooner or later Bellissimoto can get them from Carbon4US and depending on how they look, I will either keep them for display or sell them on eBay...

Second...
now this is also related to another Italian company, EVR.
EVR made the only larger volume carbon airbox that is compatible with Strada version of intake (like the above) for 998, however as you guys recall, it was delivered with deep marks (like wrinkle skin) due to their vacuum bag mark imprinted on the surface.
Some area actually have extra layer of carbon fiber that is NOT oriented properly to cover some cracks. Then they do not deburr all the holes and edges so it was sharp everywhere...
And they also do NOT include the clip for holding the intakes in place, meaning I need to buy those from Ducati and RIVET them myself...
I could have a paint shop refinish the surface to make it looks nice but long story short, I decided to return them to Bellissimoto which provide exemplary customer service and issue me a store credit (I asked for store credit) which I spent right away on other items.

Then, I was thinking of buying an original Ducati 998R Carbon Airbox, but then I saw this MS Production Airbox which was the manufacturer that made the airbox for Ducati anyway... so I buy it together with the intakes above and here are the pictures.
Please note that this is the same size as the original Ducati 998 plastic airbox or 998R Carbon Airbox, however, it also make it easier to access part of the engines because the large EVR airbox cover many area around the throttle body making it difficult to do adjustment if needed.
So, everything happened for a reason. Again, I might loose some of the air buffer from a larger airbox, but... as long as my eyes are happy, that is what matter the most 🥰:

View attachment 7862View attachment 7863

View attachment 7864View attachment 7865

It came with the important clip to hold the intakes:
View attachment 7866View attachment 7868

And the HISTORIC Logo of MS Production 😉:
View attachment 7867
Where do you buy these new ms production bits?

cheees Nick

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I was organizing all the old parts that I do not need and start posting them on eBay this weekend and it took a lot of time 😅

Later today, I also received a package from DHL (nice for them to deliver on Sunday) which is a BRAND NEW ERGAL Pulley Kit for Testastretta engine 🤩
So I actually already have a kit that I purchased USED from out of US seller, but since I always want to get BRAND NEW parts, I decided to buy this BRAND NEW kit.

Please note that this kit is NO LONGER available from Ducati (discontinued).
The top box is the OLD USED kit, and the lower box is the BRAND NEW kit:
IMG_7761.JPG

Out of curiosity, I decided to compare them and this is when things start become DISAPPOINTING 😡.
The Top 6 are the BRAND NEW ERGAL PULLEY Kit and the Lower 6 are the USED Kit:

IMG_7763.JPG

But when I feel their weight one by one, I noticed the Pulley for the camshaft (4 pieces out of 6) on the OLD kit are HEAVY... while the 4 pieces from the BRAND NEW kit are much lighter.
I become to suspect something is wrong, so I use magnet... and the Pulley from the OLD kit turn out to be just a STOCK STEEL Pulley !!! 🤬...
So when I purchase those OLD USED KIT many months ago, only 2 pieces for the lower pulley were TRUE ERGAL, the 4 other pieces that connect to the camshaft are STOCK STEEL...
I am not sure whether the seller was intentionally cheat... it might be a simple mistake since both steel and ergal pulley looks exactly the same. The old used kit even came with the original Ducati Box and User Manual for this ERGAL Kit !!!

But I am so GLAD that I purchase this BRAND NEW KIT... so I really have the TRUE ERGAL LIGHTWEIGHT Pulley kit now... and of course again it is BRAND NEW... this is why I always prefer to buy BRAND NEW PARTS for this build whenever it's possible.

Ok... I am going to just let it go... after all, I bought those OLD USED KIT at cheap price... now let's start the weigh comparison:

STOCK STEEL Lower Pulley is 186 grams.
IMG_7764.JPG

ERGAL Lower Pulley is only about 1/3 at 65 grams !!!:
IMG_7766.JPG

Stock Steel Camshaft Pulley is 137 grams:
IMG_7767.JPG

ERGAL Camshaft Pulley is only 48 grams !!! :
IMG_7769.JPG

ALL STOCK STEEL Pulley is a whooping 921 grams:
IMG_7772.JPG

The OLD USED (I got cheated) KIT where 4 of the Cam Pulleys are Steel and 2 lower pulleys are ergal at 680 grams, so even when I got cheated, it is still safe 1/3 the weight:
IMG_7771.JPG

But the TRUE ERGAL BRAND NEW PULLEY KIT is only 321 grams, yes a saving of about 2/3 the weight of the original steel 🥳:
IMG_7770.JPG

So this is a GREAT weight savings 😎

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I want to say Thank You for to DUCATImodified official supporting vendor: @dennispowersport
for helping me to source these special parts from MOTOCORSE Japan 🥳 that arrived today.

If any members would like to get parts from Motocorse Japan or SC-Project Exhaust, @dennispowersport
not only can get them at super great price but also great service.

IMG_7794.JPG

These are all MOTOCORSE Japan parts that arrived today... ALL TITANIUM of course :cool:
IMG_7793.JPG

Ducati 998 Titanium Frame Plugs:
IMG_7795.JPG

Ducati 1199 Panigale Titanium Frame Plugs (that I will use to cover remaining holes on the 998 frame that the kit above does not cover):
IMG_7799.JPG

Ducati 998 Titanium Handle Bar Weights:
IMG_7796.JPG

Ducati 998 Timing Titanium Cover with the Titanium Bolts from MOTOCORSE DBT Design of course:
IMG_7797.JPG

MOTOCORSE M5 Titanium Bolts that I will use to attached Carbon Fiber heel protector for the MOTOCORSE Italy 1198 Rear Sets that I will modified for 998:
IMG_7798.JPG

Yes, it is a MOTOCORSE Party today 🤩

dennispowersport

Forum VENDOR & PROFESSIONAL Builder
I want to say Thank You for to DUCATImodified official supporting vendor: @dennispowersport
for helping me to source these special parts from MOTOCORSE Japan 🥳 that arrived today.

If any members would like to get parts from Motocorse Japan or SC-Project Exhaust, @dennispowersport
not only can get them at super great price but also great service.

View attachment 9656

These are all MOTOCORSE Japan parts that arrived today... ALL TITANIUM of course :cool:
View attachment 9657

Ducati 998 Titanium Frame Plugs:
View attachment 9658

Ducati 1199 Panigale Titanium Frame Plugs (that I will use to cover remaining holes on the 998 frame that the kit above does not cover):
View attachment 9659

Ducati 998 Titanium Handle Bar Weights:
View attachment 9660

Ducati 998 Timing Titanium Cover with the Titanium Bolts from MOTOCORSE DBT Design of course:
View attachment 9661

MOTOCORSE M5 Titanium Bolts that I will use to attached Carbon Fiber heel protector for the MOTOCORSE Italy 1198 Rear Sets that I will modified for 998:
View attachment 9662

Yes, it is a MOTOCORSE Party today 🤩
GLAD YOU LOVE THEM :)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
FAST by FERRACI
Still clearly remember when I was in college with my original 916 and reading about FAST by FERRACI...
well, fast forward many decades later 😅 I bought something from FAST by FERRACI:
IMG_7804.JPG

This days, they don't have to many items left to sell but I managed to find a great tool for adjusting the height and an old Snap-On tools to remove engine stud:
IMG_7805.JPG

So I decided to buy from FAST by FERRACI :cool:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I installed the AELLA Radiator Protector to the NOS 998 Radiator today, to make sure those "fragile fins" will not be damaged accidentally:
Please note that the AELLA is made of Stainless Steel so they will always looks good for many years to come.
Please they have variable size opening, with closer diameter around the center (where most of the dirt will be kick out to from the front tire, and larger diameter opening on the left and right side, to allow more Free Air Flow, so they are also very well engineered.
I normally leaning to source parts from Motocorse but for radiator protector, I always like the stainless steel looks of AELLA compare to the yellowish color of the titanium Motocorse, not to mention the variable diameter holes advantage, so AELLA it is 😎

Before:
IMG_7810.JPG

After:
IMG_7811.JPG

IMG_7812.JPG

IMG_7813.JPG

Then secure them with ProTi Titanium Bolts/Nuts and of course Loctite 272 High Temperature:
IMG_7814.JPG

IMG_7815.JPGIMG_7816.JPG
IMG_7817.JPG

topolino

Just a thought Howard. It is quite possible that when you get your new crank balanced, it will be assymetrical again, if they have to remove more material on one web than another to achieve that. Won't you then be back in the same situation as you are now with the currently balanced crank? I.e it is not going to be exactly the same each side/web

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Just a thought Howard. It is quite possible that when you get your new crank balanced, it will be assymetrical again, if they have to remove more material on one web than another to achieve that. Won't you then be back in the same situation as you are now with the currently balanced crank? I.e it is not going to be exactly the same each side/web
Hi Topolino,
Yes, it could be that one web need to have more material removed as you said above. I just want the "shape" of the material remove to be as similar as possible between the left and right web so the differences in shape will not be as obvious as the current crankshaft. Beside, the differences in weight between the left and right piston plus con-rod should be not that much so the material removed from the crankshaft if differ maybe just a few grams. It seemed that balancing a crank is half engineering, half art.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I was just talking about crankshaft with Topolino this morning and when I arrived back home from office later in the evening, I saw a big box arrived.
Inside there are 2 items, but let's focus on the smaller item because it is The Brand NEW 2006 Ducati 999S Crankshaft 🥳
I am now coordinating with the shop who will perform the LIGHTENING, KNIFE EDGE, BALANCE and POLISHING to see if I can send it with the Carrillo Connecting Rods and Pistal 102mm Pistons asap.

Here are the pictures:
IMG_7844.JPGIMG_7846.JPG

IMG_7848.JPGIMG_7849.JPG

IMG_7852.JPGIMG_7853.JPG

By the way, early this morning, I also shipped the Gearbox assy. to be disassembled, and then MICROPOLISH :cool:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Today, I received some CNC machined parts that I order from Eastern Europe back in June 😅 which are the lower sump oil mesh cover (red anodized) and the RS style water nozzle:
IMG_7862.JPG

Then I decided its time to prepare other gears (outside gearbox assy. and primary gear with bearing) to be MICROPOLISH and maybe CyroHeat treated too 😎.
I just contacted several micropolishing provider to compare their response, quote and lead time. As soon as I found a good provider, then I will ship to them right away.
First, I need to disassemble the brand new oil pump... yikes 😅:
IMG_7864.JPGIMG_7865.JPG

IMG_7866.JPG

And here are all the gears:
IMG_7867.JPG

I am also currently checking whether the gear shift drum can be micropolish because (as my finger point out in the picture), some area looks like to be coated for the gear neutral switch, so I am not sure about this...
IMG_7863.JPG

Oh, by the way,
this are the gearbox assy. and the primary gear with bearings that is already on the way to be disassembled and micropolish, well in the case of the primary gear with the bearing installed,... I think it will only be coated but not micropolish since based on the expert advice of a legendary engine builder,...
those bearing are so precise fit that even micropolish might cause it to not fit back as good as before (because those bearing need to be remove and replace during micropolish).
IMG_7825.JPGIMG_7830.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Cerakote day today :cool:

Here is the many of the parts before cerakote:
IMG_7649.JPG

And whenever possible, I will post picture of parts before and after side by side:

Braketech center hat of rear floating rotor, before black anodized, after burnt bronze cerakote:
IMG_7651.JPGIMG_7873.JPG

Handlebar stock and glacier silver+clear cerakote:
IMG_7653.JPGIMG_7868.JPG

Exhaust bracket to Gun Metal Grey cerakote:
IMG_7655.JPGIMG_7877.JPG

Heat protector for the DC Regulator and Inlet of water coolant to cylinder block cerakoted in Glacier Gold
IMG_7652.JPGIMG_E7872.JPG
IMG_E7870.JPG

Side stand silver painted to Cerakote Glacier Silver and Clear Coat:
IMG_7656.JPGIMG_7871.JPG

Rear Fairing Hinges to Glacier Black Cerakote
IMG_7657.JPGIMG_7874.JPG

Adaptor for Motocorse 1198 rear set from Black Anodized to Glass Bead Blasted (later I will most likely cerakote it in gloss):
IMG_7875.JPG

And more parts in Gun Metal Gray Cerakote:
IMG_7878.JPGIMG_7879.JPG

IMG_7880.JPGIMG_7881.JPG

IMG_7882.JPGIMG_7883.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
More gun metal gray parts:
IMG_7884.JPGIMG_7885.JPG

IMG_7886.JPGIMG_7887.JPG

IMG_7888.JPG

Oh, I also install some ProTi on the intake manifold to block what used to be the nipple for US version fuel canister tubing:
IMG_7777.JPGIMG_7778.JPG

IMG_7779.JPGIMG_7780.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Install the Rotor Hat of the BrakeTech assembly today :love:.
I choose this dark bronze color because on the background there will be gold color swingarm, nickel plated Brembo Billet Caliper, Red Anodized brake caliper bracket and Silver color wheel with sprinkle of Titanium Silver ProTi, oh with bronze&red color Staubli dry break ;)
IMG_7892.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I spent the full day yesterday researching for Airbox and Air Intake (conveyor) pipe because I felt the current MS Production Airbox/Intake combo does not have enough airflow for my 999S big bore engine so stay tuned for further update on further "MODIFIED" upgrades ;)

I then spent the whole day, listing many items for sale on eBay and I have not done yet... Better sell all the redundant used parts that I will never use and clean the house a bit :ROFLMAO:
And I am not finished yet... way too many parts to be listed on eBay....

Anyway, I also bought some Ducati Special Tools (no longer in production) and ProBolt special bolts:
These are the timing roller holding tools... somehow, the seller gave me an extra tool (it not suppose to come in 2 pieces like in the picture below)...
Also, it is a much better quality tool than the previous same tools I bought on eBay so I am happy (oh, now I need to sell the generic, non Ducati special tools on eBay then...)
IMG_7893.JPG

I also purchased this very special dual hex socket and regular 6 point socket Titanium bolts from ProBolt and it will be used on the 998 Throttle Body adjustment screw:
IMG_7969.JPGIMG_7970.JPG

There are so much more updates coming... but right now it is the calm before the storm :cool:

Ducabike998

Im interested to see what direction your headed with your airbox / tube combination.
My 999r is paired with an EVR box, large tubes, BMc filters and producing 156rWhp