Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Im interested to see what direction your headed with your airbox / tube combination.
My 999r is paired with an EVR box, large tubes, BMc filters and producing 156rWhp
Hi Ducabike998,
The MS production carbon fiber airbox/tube/front fairing arrived yesterday, but I have not unpacked it because I am still very busy with office work. I will post it here soon.
In the meantime, I just got this email from "SPOOKYFAST", the custom painter that our friend and moderator @HKMP7 kindly introduce to me, and I am so happy with their work.
Well not just the quality of their work but also their PROFESSIONALISM and On Schedule (well earlier actually than what they promise me earlier).
Thanks you so much for @HKMP7 to introduce me to "SPOOKY FAST".

The email contain the painted picture of my 998 Frame in the same color as Ducati Diavel Lamborghini and of course Lamborghini Sian FKP 37. The color is Oro ELectrum Satin.
I can't wait for it to arrive at my home :love:
HH Pic (002).jpeg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
The problem of researching for better parts every day, usually yield in ... well founding better parts 😅.
Initially, I was happy with the 848 EVO rear brake caliper bracket that will allow the use of 245 larger diameter rear rotor, however, later I found out IM Manufaktur in Germany made a Billet Version or the Monster S4RS so... can't help but buy it :ROFLMAO: and below is comparison pictures.
I am also happily surprise that the Billet Version (Black Anodized Color) have a longer adjustment range for the eccentric hub, this will allow me to adjust the swing arm (hubcentric) more.
IMG_8299.JPGIMG_8300.JPG

I also found out they made the Titanium Swing Arm axle,... so despite I already have brand new Ducati Steel Axle... well can help it to "MODIFIED" 🤩
IMG_8303.JPGIMG_8304.JPG

Then I found out this 2 stud for the gear shifter mechanism inside the engine, in Titanium with DLC coating... so it will be an upgrade of the brand new Ducati stock steel version that I already bought in the past:
IMG_8301.JPG

Some more miscellaneous Titanium Parts:
IMG_8302.JPG

OH, I also found out that the older 916 Speedometer (in Km/H) came with 300 Km/H shown on it, while my brand new set of speedometer/tachometer for 998 only shows 290 Km/H...
so I decided to buy the older but brand new 916 300 Km/H version to replace the speedometer part of the 998 speedometer/tachometer set:
IMG_8305.JPG

And last, I found a New Old Stock front steering eccentric,... nothing wrong with the front steering eccentric that came with my 2002 998... but I want my bike to look as new as possible, so... this New Old Stock Steering eccentric will guarantee that, so I buy it from a seller in UK:
IMG_8295.JPGIMG_8296.JPG
IMG_8297.JPGIMG_8298.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I test fit the whole MS Production Intake/Airbox/Front Fairing system today,

First it arrived in a very big box with very strong triple box packing from Italy:
IMG_8306.JPG

Here is the front fairing:
IMG_8307.JPGIMG_8308.JPG
IMG_8309.JPGIMG_8310.JPG

Here are a side by side pictures with the stock 998 front fairing just to show how much bigger the Air Intake Opening of the MS Production Carbon Fiber Fairing:
IMG_8328.JPGIMG_8330.JPG

Now here is the MS Production Airbox with larger inlet and detachable side panels:
IMG_8311.JPGIMG_8312.JPG
IMG_8314.JPGIMG_8315.JPG

Now, these are side by side pictures of the inlets of both the stock airbox and the MS Production Much Larger Inlet. Please note that I also have another MS Production Carbon Fiber Airbox with the smaller inlet, but I am selling it now because I just realized that my 999S big bore 1038cc engine will need as much air flow that it can get.
Previously, I bought a Much Larger EVR Airbox, however that EVR Airbox have very bad cosmetic finish, plus the inlets are the same size as stock. So it doesn't matter how much larger the EVR Airbox is because it can only sustain extra air supply for a moment before it ran out of and its inlets are not large enough to replenish it's supply on time.
Think of the EVR Airbox like a large capacitor but with small recharging system. Yes, the large capacitor can provide extra electricity for a short burst, but as soon as its depleted, then it can not be charge fast enough.
This MS Production much larger inlets should have enough constant inlet air flow to sustain high demand of the larger 1043 cc engine.
Now, the even larger RS airbox from MS production is an even better solution, because it also have extra volume for that instant short burst need, however, it require an RS gas tank and I really prefer a stock Ducati gas tank, beside my 1038cc engine is no where as high performance as an RS engine so this is more than enough 😅

IMG_8342.JPGIMG_8343.JPG

Here are the MS Production LARGER Air Funnel/Intake that connect the larger MS Production front fairing inlet with the larger MS Production airbox inlet. This Larger version still have provision to mount the Front Turn Signal which is important for me:
IMG_8316.JPGIMG_8319.JPG

IMG_8318.JPGIMG_8317.JPG

MS Production also have an even larger Air Intake funnel, however that also require the RS Airbox so I can't use it.
I start by test fitting the larger intake funnel to the larger inlet airbox below:
IMG_8322.JPG

Then I test with both stock and MS Production larger inlet front fairing:
IMG_8335.JPGIMG_8324.JPG

Unfortunately, this larger air funnel will not easily fit the stock fairing, I might be able to cut it a bit and make it fit... but it's not optimal for performance anyway, so I will paint this Carbon Fiber MS Production front fairing in Red Color because I want it to looks as close to stock fairing as possible.
IMG_8336.JPG

The only thing I need to figure out is to find the wire mesh for the MS Production Front Fairing that looks like this stock Ducati Fairing, picture on the next post below:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
IMG_8353.JPGIMG_8354.JPG
This mesh is important from preventing large object to be ingested into the engine, since I don't plan to use any air filter at all :cool:

Some more comparison pictures for the front fairings:
IMG_8332.JPGIMG_8333.JPG

Oh, almost forgot the MS Production Certificate of Authenticity:
IMG_8321.JPG
So according to the seller, MS Production have a new owner who purchased all the old mold and the right to MS Production name. So these are all authentic brand new MS Production Product.
The even better news is they also plan to introduce new products and not just producing from the old molds 🤩

Next, I prepare all the remaining gears inside the engine to be Micro Polish and I shipped them to be processed today:
IMG_8370.JPG

While preparing all these gears I found 2 sets of gears that are further LIGHTENED by Ducati compare to the stock gear that came from my 2005 999S engine... so these lighter gear must come from the 2006 999S engine.

Just take a lot at these picture below, the left of course is the brand new gear and the right is the used gear from my 2005 999S engine, that is a lot of lightening:
IMG_8368.JPG

and here is another gear, that also lightened to the extreme by Ducati (left is used from my 2005 999S engine and right is brand new):
IMG_8369.JPG

Ducabike998

I test fit the whole MS Production Intake/Airbox/Front Fairing system today,

First it arrived in a very big box with very strong triple box packing from Italy:
View attachment 9848

Here is the front fairing:
View attachment 9849View attachment 9850
View attachment 9851View attachment 9852

Here are a side by side pictures with the stock 998 front fairing just to show how much bigger the Air Intake Opening of the MS Production Carbon Fiber Fairing:
View attachment 9853View attachment 9854

Now here is the MS Production Airbox with larger inlet and detachable side panels:
View attachment 9855View attachment 9856
View attachment 9857View attachment 9858

Now, these are side by side pictures of the inlets of both the stock airbox and the MS Production Much Larger Inlet. Please note that I also have another MS Production Carbon Fiber Airbox with the smaller inlet, but I am selling it now because I just realized that my 999S big bore 1038cc engine will need as much air flow that it can get.
Previously, I bought a Much Larger EVR Airbox, however that EVR Airbox have very bad cosmetic finish, plus the inlets are the same size as stock. So it doesn't matter how much larger the EVR Airbox is because it can only sustain extra air supply for a moment before it ran out of and its inlets are not large enough to replenish it's supply on time.
Think of the EVR Airbox like a large capacitor but with small recharging system. Yes, the large capacitor can provide extra electricity for a short burst, but as soon as its depleted, then it can not be charge fast enough.
This MS Production much larger inlets should have enough constant inlet air flow to sustain high demand of the larger 1043 cc engine.
Now, the even larger RS airbox from MS production is an even better solution, because it also have extra volume for that instant short burst need, however, it require an RS gas tank and I really prefer a stock Ducati gas tank, beside my 1038cc engine is no where as high performance as an RS engine so this is more than enough 😅

View attachment 9859View attachment 9860

Here are the MS Production LARGER Air Funnel/Intake that connect the larger MS Production front fairing inlet with the larger MS Production airbox inlet. This Larger version still have provision to mount the Front Turn Signal which is important for me:
View attachment 9861View attachment 9862

View attachment 9863View attachment 9864

MS Production also have an even larger Air Intake funnel, however that also require the RS Airbox so I can't use it.
I start by test fitting the larger intake funnel to the larger inlet airbox below:
View attachment 9865

Then I test with both stock and MS Production larger inlet front fairing:
View attachment 9866View attachment 9867

Unfortunately, this larger air funnel will not easily fit the stock fairing, I might be able to cut it a bit and make it fit... but it's not optimal for performance anyway, so I will paint this Carbon Fiber MS Production front fairing in Red Color because I want it to looks as close to stock fairing as possible.
View attachment 9868

The only thing I need to figure out is to find the wire mesh for the MS Production Front Fairing that looks like this stock Ducati Fairing, picture on the next post below:
I think I have an extra pair for the large inlet. I can check this weekend and get back to you.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I think I have an extra pair for the large inlet. I can check this weekend and get back to you.
Hi @Ducabike998 , if you have an extra pair of the mesh for the large inlet, I would love to see it and perhaps if possible purchase from you.
I already bought a pair of Ducati Diavel intake mesh and plan to modify it to fit my MS Production front fairing but if you already have a custom fit pair, then I would rather purchase them from you.

Thanks

Ducabike998

Hi @Ducabike998 , if you have an extra pair of the mesh for the large inlet, I would love to see it and perhaps if possible purchase from you.
I already bought a pair of Ducati Diavel intake mesh and plan to modify it to fit my MS Production front fairing but if you already have a custom fit pair, then I would rather purchase them from you.

Thanks

Thanks
Currently traveling but once I get back I’ll send you some pictures of what I have, no problem.
I love the titanium swing arm pivot bolt.
I sourced mine from TPO back in the day.
Great find, what did it cost you?

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Currently traveling but once I get back I’ll send you some pictures of what I have, no problem.
I love the titanium swing arm pivot bolt.
I sourced mine from TPO back in the day.
Great find, what did it cost you?
The Titanium Swing Arm Pivot and bolt set cost me 245 Euro

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Another important parts arrived today, which are the 999R Camshafts because turns out, you can replace the 999S Camshafts (which already made more than stock non S camshafts) to a higher lift R camshafts.
Here are the comparison, the S Camshafts is still in the cylinder head assembly:
IMG_8394.JPGIMG_8395.JPG

They look very similar (although there is slight offset), so I am curious how much more lift available from the R Camshafts:

This is exhaust side lobe height and base height of the S Cam meaning 35.72 mm minus 25.73 mm = 9.9 mm of lift
IMG_8396.JPGIMG_8399.JPG

And here is the exhaust R Cam 34.87mm - 23.68mm = 11.19 mm meaning about 1.29mm more lift
IMG_8402.JPGIMG_8403.JPG

Now, this is the intake S Cam 37.34 - 25.13mm = 12.21mm
IMG_8400.JPGIMG_8401.JPG

and Intake R Cam 36.26mm - 23.80mm = 12.46 mm meaning 0.25mm more lifts
IMG_8404.JPGIMG_8405.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I am sending the 4 brand new camshafts above to NEGP (New England Gear Polishing) for micropolishing today (I sent the gears to NEGP last week), in the meantime,
Here are the Part# of all the 4 brand new 2005+ 999R camshafts:
IMG_8406.JPGIMG_8407.JPG

IMG_8408.JPGIMG_8409.JPG
IMG_8411.JPGIMG_8410.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
UPS perform super late night delivery tonight with a very big box:

IMG_8429.JPG

After my Labrador finished his mandatory security inspection :ROFLMAO:, I open the box and inside I found this:
IMG_8430.JPG

Yes, my 998 frame freshly and gorgeously painted by SPOOKYFast of Arizona :cool:. Perfect Finish, factory quality paint, and will sent the engine cover to be Magnesium Color match to SPOOKYFast soon 🥳:
IMG_8431.JPGIMG_8433.JPG

IMG_8432.JPGIMG_8434.JPG

IMG_8435.JPG

I also managed to take out the Stock 999S camshaft from the cylinder head today:
IMG_8423.JPG

IMG_8424.JPGIMG_8425.JPG

Also decided to measure the Valve diameter:
IMG_8426.JPGIMG_8428.JPG

Will do more tomorrow ;)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I am preparing to ship engine parts to engine builder.
Some that I need to prepared is installing all the ProTi Titanium Bolts on the Crankcase:
IMG_8381.JPGIMG_8382.JPG

IMG_8384.JPGIMG_8383.JPG

Oh, I also test fit the lower CNC / Billet Red Anodized Sump Filter cover, with ProTi Titanium Bolts:
IMG_8385.JPGIMG_8386.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
This has been a very productive long weekend 😎:

Yesterday, I treat the 999S Cylinder heads to some VIP bubble bath inside my Ultrasonic Washer :ROFLMAO:
IMG_8437.JPG IMG_8436.JPG

and clean and fresh like new 🤩:

IMG_8522.JPGIMG_8524.JPG

IMG_8530.JPG

By the way I took out the stock 999S camshafts because I plan to ship this 999S Cylinder Heads for complete head works, valve jobs, port and polishing, basically everything that can be done to improve these 999S Cylinder Heads. I marked them to differentiate the Vertical and Horizontal Heads:
IMG_8523.JPG

Oh, I also perform some polishing for the bottom area to clean the residue from head gaskets:
Before:
IMG_8534.JPG

After:
IMG_8535.JPG

The intake ports is clean like new:
IMG_8525.JPG

The exhaust ports still not as clean but it will be ported anyway:
IMG_8526.JPG

Also took out the camshaft brackets for now:
IMG_8527.JPG

ProTi is employed for the internal rocker bracket:
IMG_8533.JPG

I also installed the Rubber Intake Manifold (with ProTi Titanium Bolts of course), and it will be ported to match the intake port of the Cylinder Head perfectly:
IMG_8552.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I am sorting many parts so it is easier for me to find them and install them.

For example, this engine mounting bolt (steel, OEM) that will be paired with the Titanium Nut ( I also have the steel version that I purchased before I found the Titanium version) plus the AELLA Titanium spacer that have small aligning lips:

IMG_8537.JPGIMG_8538.JPG

IMG_8539.JPGIMG_8540.JPG

Here is the complete setup:
IMG_8541.JPG

I also will replace all the oil pathway plug replaced with CNC anodized aluminum:
IMG_8542.JPG

Oh, this unique stud below is actually another oil plug with a unique stud to mount the bracket that hold the oil cooler. Ducati no longer make this and I took this unique stud from my old 998 engine.
Unfortunately the Zinc plated was in stain, dirty condition, so I decided to mirror polish it....
IMG_8543.JPGIMG_8544.JPG

And then... I decided to go one step further and paint it Anodized Red 🤩, so it will match the other CNC machined oil plug:
IMG_8546.JPG

Oh, this is how the oil cooler bracket looks like after being Cerakoted, much nicer than the original zinc plated:
IMG_8547.JPG

I bought this Titanium washer and circlip to replace the steel version inside the clutch cover, but at the end, I decided to only use the Titanium Washer and reuse the steel circlip back because the Titanium circlip has POOR retention (I think Titanium at the same dimension/shape will not perform as good as steel for spring):
IMG_8555.JPGIMG_8556.JPG

Last,
I bought this long M5 Titanium bolts to replace the steel bolts on the starter motor... unfortunately, they are NOT long enough... so I am ordering a stainless steel 316 bolt from Accubolt UK now... (can't find an M5 in Titanium that is long enough):
IMG_8548.JPGIMG_8549.JPG

IMG_8550.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
The owner of NEGP, New England Gear Polishing was kind enough to process my gears in just 1 day turn around !!! Yes, while other Micropolishing companies took weeks, Bob helped me and get it done in just 1 day 🤩 (y)

He also texted me the picture and... I think I will be dreaming about it tonight :love: , they are now look better than Brand New (well, they were brand new gears, just better now) 😎
IMG_5656.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I forgot, but a few weeks ago, I purchased brand new (old stock) wiring harness from 996 in UK. I now that it will not work for 998, however, I just want to cannibalize some of the special connector and also the fuse box in case I need to have Bike Sport Development UK to build me a new wiring harness for 998. Ducati still listed the 998 wiring harness in back order status (and it had been like that since almost a year),... so in case I still cannot purchase from Ducati when I need to install the wiring harness back with the engine, then I will build at Bike Sport Development UK:
IMG_8557.JPGIMG_8558.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
This weekend I decided to start installing the frame, swing arm and rear suspension, and was thinking how hard could it be 😅...

First, I have 2 sets of rear swing arm pivot axle. The brand new stock steel OEM from Ducati pivot axle combined with a Titanium Bolt and full Titanium pivot axle and bolt SET...
IMG_8564.JPG

IMG_8565.JPG

I started by comparing the length and while the full titanium axle was shorter than the stock OEM Ducati steel, but the bolt that came with it is longer:
IMG_8566.JPGIMG_8567.JPG

So I thought... everything is good and I proceed with comparing the weight:
IMG_8569.JPGIMG_8570.JPG

Because the Full Titanium set is much lighter, I decided to use it and start applying the correct Grease C into the bearings and the pivot axle it self:
IMG_8571.JPG
IMG_8572.JPG

IMG_8573.JPG

However once I insert the axle and try to tightened it (not super tight, just test with tools), I realized, the size of the bolt that came with the Titanium set is too large for the socket wrench to be inserted and clear the hole of the frame opening. So the stock Ducati bolt size is 20mm and the same size as that Titanium bolt that I use as a combo to the stock steel pivot. However, the Full titanium pivot and bolt set have the size of 23mm.

IMG_8568.JPG

Then, I thought... why don't I use the Titanium Pivot axle with the other Titanium bolt (20mm head)... but then I realized... it will be a bit too short... I still test fit and it fit, but from my calculation, I lost about 7mm of thread engagement... and since my priority is safety and reliability above all, I decided, I am just going to use the steel Ducati OEM pivot with the 20mm head titanium bolt. By the way, that Titanium pivot axle set was for Ducati 1198... so I guess the 1198 have larger opening on the frame.
Here is the picture showing the 20mm head titanium bolt inside the opening on the frame:
IMG_8605.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Next, I test fit the combination of the Ducati OEM stock steel engine mounting stud with the Titanium Nut.
The only issue is, the Ducati OEM stock steel engine mounting stud that I purchased turn out to be the latest model where it is thinner on the center area.
I am ok with this design if the center thinner area is not as much as this because, as you can see on the pictures below, this means the area of the bolt touching the surface on the engine crankcase is minimal on the left side... and I don't like it. This is also the reason why I decided not to use the K-Bike Titanium engine mounting bolt kit (that I purchased a while ago)...
IMG_8575.JPG

Please pay attention to this picture for the left side, and notice how short the thicker surface is:
IMG_8577.JPG

The right side is kinda ok:
IMG_8576.JPG

So I just ordered an OLDER but new old stock engine bolt that have the full length of it in thick size.

Next...
I perform multi step polishing to the RS Rocker Link for the rear suspension, to make sure it glow 😎
IMG_8581.JPGIMG_8582.JPG

Then applying Grease C to the inner bushing, only to realize that I forgot to purchase the correct Titanium Bolt to mount it onto the frame :cautious:,
so I measure the right size that I need and it will be an awesome Titanium bolt (yes, I found a very nice one) 🥳 and it's on order now:
IMG_8584.JPG

So for now I used the old used bolt/nut to mount it, and then I get the Titanium bolt to mount the RS rocker to the Ohlins shocks top mount:
IMG_8585.JPG

IMG_8586.JPGIMG_8587.JPG

After that, I decide to install the NCR Titanium Ride Height Adjuster:
IMG_8593.JPGIMG_8594.JPG

Oh, by the way, that lower Titanium bolt that hold both the lower NCR right height adjuster and the lower Ohlins shock is PERFECT, and used in combination with stock zinc plated special nut from Ducati. I actually purchase another set of what supposed to be high strength steel version, however, when I look from the top of this high strength bolt, I saw what look like casting imperfection. Nevertheless, I still try to install it and it is way too big for the hole on the swing arm (I am talking about the head of the bolt)... so back to the Titanium version with Ducati stock zinc plated special nut.

Now, I really don't like the look of zinc plated nut so... I paint it anodized red 🤩, yap it's going to look gorgeous with the gold cerakote swingarm in the foreground:
IMG_8606.JPG

But somehow, this RS rear rocker link does not fit well with the 998 frame... maybe because it was designed for 996RS frame...
It hit the frame and limited it's travel (well swivel) especially on the right side:
IMG_8591.JPGIMG_8591.JPG
IMG_8588.JPG
IMG_8589.JPG

so.... well grinder time ;)
first cover everything with blue painter tape except the area that is going to be grind:
IMG_8596.JPG

First grinding is done:
IMG_8597.JPG

Oh, also grind the area where the NCR ride height adjuster will be mounted because that area is not wide enough (wide enough for stock height adjuster, but the NCR is just wider):
IMG_8598.JPGIMG_8599.JPG

Then I found out, need to grind more, so blue painter's tape again:
IMG_8600.JPG

And finally good grinding result, picture on the next post:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
More bolts arrived,
First the Stainless Steel Accubolt from UK for the starter motor (I can't find Titanium Equivalent, so Stainless Steel it is) 😅:
IMG_8608.JPG

Then the RaceTech Titanium Bolt for the main bolt holding the rear suspension to rocker arm arrived along with matching Titanium Drilled Washer and Locking Nuts (12 points) from ProBolt:
IMG_8610.JPGIMG_8611.JPG

IMG_8612.JPG

Here is how they will be configured:
IMG_8619.JPG

But then I realized there is an issue... as shown on the red circle in the picture below. The "SLIM WAIST" area on this Titanium bolt is just too long,
this is the similar issue I was having with KBike Titanium bolt for engine mounting. I just don't trust the very small engagement around the thread area,
so I am ordering a different bolt from RaceTech Titanium that should arrived maybe next week...
IMG_8621 marked.jpg

I also found out it was not my mistake, but apparently the bolt used as picture on the RaceTech Titanium website is not the exact bolt I received, no wonder I was confident when ordering this bolt,... but oh well, this happened, so no big deal, just need to order a few different bolt so I can choose which one I like the most...
IMG_8620.JPG

Oh, I also ordered some extra Snap-On Torque Adaptor to complete my previous kit... only to find out, I forgot to order the 21mm to truly complete the kit,... so order more today at Snap-on website:
IMG_8616.JPGIMG_8617.JPG