Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Next, I open another box, this from Ducati Omaha containing many parts, and one of them are a pair of #1 stickers (original from Ducati Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 side fairings):
IMG_8623.JPG

Why?
Because I plan to add White Painted Area on my 998s Final Edition Tail Fairing so now it can have a place for the black #1 stickers above.
These White Painted Areas will be similar to the 916 SPS Carl Fogarty Tail Fairing like in the picture below:
ducati-916-motorbike-petrol_39383674.jpg

ducati-916-motorbike-petrol_39383666.jpg

004_Ducati916SPS_Foggy001_BikeIconics_June2019_D8J_6413.jpg

And here are the approximate area where all the #1 stickers will be:
IMG_8624.JPGIMG_8625.JPG

I also plan to add "DUCATI" sticker at the end of the tail:
IMG_8627.JPG

So it will looks like this:
IMG_8628.JPG

By the way, I also thinking of using the BMW MINERAL White color for the white painted area because they have that glittering pearly white and not too wash out white to make it a bit "RETRO" looks :cool:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Next is Airbox, the MS Production Carbon Fiber Airbox finish is "decent" but it is not up to the level of @Peter Lieb of course,
so I will use the rear carbon fiber license plate bracket cover from the Ducati Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 that @Peter Lieb made long time ago for me as sample color :cool:

Now, just making it a SATIN Finish is not good enough but I want to make it look like this bike where the red color continue from the tail fairing to the carbon fiber side covers of the airbox. This is the inverse of the normal Ducati 998R paint scheme where the carbon fiber continue to the tail fairing instead.
Here is the picture that inspired me (circled in blue is what I meant by continuation of red color), but instead of glossy carbon like in the picture below, mine will be SATIN finish:

1.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Move to the front of the bike,
I received the Ducati DIAVEL wire mesh intake cover today:
IMG_8633.JPG

Then I test fit to cover the LARGER 998RS style Carbon Fiber Fairing intake opening:

IMG_8638.JPG

And they are PERFECT FIT, look like it came from Ducati factory 🤩:
IMG_8635.JPG
IMG_8637.JPG

Plus their hole spacing is a bit larger than the stock Ducati 998 fairing wire mesh so they should allow better air flow.

I want to paint them exactly like the 916 SPS Carl Fogarty front fairing:
441903.jpg

the white painted area shape is slightly different then the latter 996 and 998 style. This style is more rounded and smaller, but I think looks sweeter and retro ;)
Beside the rear tail fairing white area is already 916 SPS Carl Fogarty so front and rear better match :ROFLMAO:

I also purchased the original Ducati #1 sticker from the Ducati Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916,
and I taped it for test fit:
IMG_8639.JPG

Last, of course the Ducati Logo on the right side (left side of the bike):
IMG_8640.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Ok, belated weekend update :):

First, I gather all the parts needed to assemble the Gear Change Lever mechanism, from the main levers that had been micropolished, to some pin, springs, washers and ProTi Titanium Nuts:
IMG_8653.JPGIMG_8655.JPG

IMG_8656.JPGIMG_8657.JPG

IMG_8659.JPG

So it looks like this (and comparison between the old and the new set:
IMG_8660.JPGIMG_8661.JPG

I also reassembled the gears inside the oil pump that had been micropolished:
IMG_8662.JPG
and it become like this:
IMG_8740.JPG

Unfortunately, I found out I still missing some parts that need to be ordered from Ducati, so the micropolished outer gear cannot be secured yet:
IMG_8742.JPG

But once I have the C-Clip, it will look like this:
IMG_8741.JPG

Then I work on test fitting the layshafts with the center pulleys:
IMG_8705.JPGIMG_8706.JPG
using K-Bike large washer/separator (titanium of course) and also Titanium spacers from IM Manufaktur Germany:
IMG_8707.JPGIMG_8709.JPG
But then I found out, I forgot to purchase special M15 locking nut from Ducati... so can't secure them yet...

I then move to the other end of the layshaft and test fit both the titanium nuts from IM Manafakture and the special washers
IMG_8710.JPGIMG_8711.JPG

Then I add the micropolish gear on to the layshaft:
IMG_8712.JPGIMG_8713.JPG

And here is the final assembly:
IMG_8714.JPGIMG_8715.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
After that, time for the adjustable and non adjustable tension roller (which again I forget to buy the brand new studs for it).
First the adjustable roller:
I also found out that the old roller that came with my 999S engine (on the left) is different then the new Part from Ducati, noticed the left old part have 2 lips, while the right part only have 1 lips.
So that pentagon shape Titanium adjuster from IM manufakture will NOT fit the new style on the right... But after carefully looking at the design, I prefer the New parts since it does not require any spacer and also have more loading area to the center stud...
which means that Pentagon shape Titanium Adjuster is now not usable.
IMG_8716.JPGIMG_8718.JPG

IMG_8717.JPG

Below is the non adjustable rollers, where I still need to press in the bearings, maybe this coming weekend:
IMG_8719.JPG

Next I jump to the camshaft rollers, assembling it with the ProTi Titanium Bolts and K-Bike Titanium Washers, oh, by the way all these rollers are the Ducati Performance ERGAL light weight rollers:
IMG_8720.JPGIMG_8721.JPG

IMG_8722.JPGIMG_8723.JPG

Some comparison between the old heavy steel roller and the super tricked titanium/ergal light weight combo 🤩, nothing compares of course 😎
IMG_8724.JPG

Pack them up, ready to be paired with the 999R camshafts currently being micropolish at NEGP:
IMG_8725.JPG

After that, I am preparing the Stainless Steel Bolt and Washer from Accu UK:
IMG_8726.JPG

Which then be used to replace the steel bolts for the starter motor (believe me that I look for Titanium bolts but can't find in this size so stainless steel have to be enough 😅):
Left is half half, and right picture full stainless steel:
IMG_8727.JPGIMG_8728.JPG
some side view:
IMG_8729.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I am not done yet... next is the old style full diameter 10.9 grade steel engine mounting bolt:
IMG_8663.JPGIMG_8704.JPG

And comparing them with the newer style (have thin waist that I don't like):
IMG_8703.JPG

Still about bolts, now the new Titanium Bolts from RaceTech Titanium arrived (super fast and great customer service from RaceTech Titanium). They offer me to refund the earlier bolts that was not the same as in their website picture, which I appreciate, but I decided to just keep it. I am sure someday, I can use them.
Now from the top in the picture below:
stock steel bolt
wrong shape titanium bolt by RaceTech
ideal shape titanium bolt from RaceTech
full width no waist at all just like stock bolt but from Titanium by RaceTech:
IMG_8693.JPG

My choice of course is the 2 bottom bolts in the picture above, but first let's do some weighing:
Stock Steel:
IMG_8694.JPG

Wrong Shape Titanium:
IMG_8695.JPG

Ideal Shape Titanium:
IMG_8698.JPG

and Full width no waist Titanium:
IMG_8697.JPG

Of course, I choose the IDEAL waisted titanium because it is PERFECT when inserted in the cylinder spacer below:
IMG_8699.JPGIMG_8702.JPG

Of course, don't forget the Cross Drilled Titanium Washers from ProBolt on both side:
IMG_8701.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hmmm... I also managed to locate the 2 remaining pieces of special Bolt to plug the non usable oil outlet in the cylinder head that also function as a stud to hold the bracket for oil cooler...
I already have 1 piece used special bolt, but I just want to buy a new bolt if possible, and since it is very cheap, I decided to just buy the 2 last stock available at any Ducati dealer in America just for spare... who know someday I have another engine 😎:
IMG_8672.JPG

Of course it will also be painted just like the original used bolt that had been painted in red anodized:
IMG_8692.JPG

I also buy another set of Podium Racing Titanium DZUS because I need it for the MS Production Carbon Fiber Airbox RS style side cover:
IMG_8664.JPG

Talking about RS Style MS Production Carbon Fiber side air cover...
I decided to give it more spice by adding official sticker from WSBK governing body, please note the white square is just the backing, the sticker is just the RED arrow (from letter "K) and that small white SBK sticker.
It will be protected under satin clear coat soon at SpookyFast paint shop 🥳
IMG_8737.JPG

IMG_8738.JPGIMG_8739.JPG

Ok... more updates coming soon :cool:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I just finished packing up the RS Carbon front fairing, the RS style airbox and the rear tail fairing in 3 separate large boxes. Will ship them to SpookyFast for custom painting in Arizona tomorrow.
They quote me very close to $3,000 for custom paintings these 3 parts, but they are the best painter that I had found so far (and by far), so it's ok. This is a one in a life time project ;)
I can only ship them today because that "DUCATI SUPERBIKE" sticker finally arrived from Ducati Omaha yesterday 🥳:
IMG_8752.JPGIMG_8755.JPG

Yes, they are very large boxes 😅:
IMG_8757.JPG

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
More bolts arrived,
First the Stainless Steel Accubolt from UK for the starter motor (I can't find Titanium Equivalent, so Stainless Steel it is) 😅:
View attachment 10031

Then the RaceTech Titanium Bolt for the main bolt holding the rear suspension to rocker arm arrived along with matching Titanium Drilled Washer and Locking Nuts (12 points) from ProBolt:
View attachment 10032View attachment 10033

View attachment 10034

Here is how they will be configured:
View attachment 10035

But then I realized there is an issue... as shown on the red circle in the picture below. The "SLIM WAIST" area on this Titanium bolt is just too long,
this is the similar issue I was having with KBike Titanium bolt for engine mounting. I just don't trust the very small engagement around the thread area,
so I am ordering a different bolt from RaceTech Titanium that should arrived maybe next week...
View attachment 10036

I also found out it was not my mistake, but apparently the bolt used as picture on the RaceTech Titanium website is not the exact bolt I received, no wonder I was confident when ordering this bolt,... but oh well, this happened, so no big deal, just need to order a few different bolt so I can choose which one I like the most...
View attachment 10037

Oh, I also ordered some extra Snap-On Torque Adaptor to complete my previous kit... only to find out, I forgot to order the 21mm to truly complete the kit,... so order more today at Snap-on website:
View attachment 10038View attachment 10039
Nothing like nice tools

PanigalePilot

Staff member
I am not done yet... next is the old style full diameter 10.9 grade steel engine mounting bolt:
View attachment 10160View attachment 10161

And comparing them with the newer style (have thin waist that I don't like):
View attachment 10162

Still about bolts, now the new Titanium Bolts from RaceTech Titanium arrived (super fast and great customer service from RaceTech Titanium). They offer me to refund the earlier bolts that was not the same as in their website picture, which I appreciate, but I decided to just keep it. I am sure someday, I can use them.
Now from the top in the picture below:
stock steel bolt
wrong shape titanium bolt by RaceTech
ideal shape titanium bolt from RaceTech
full width no waist at all just like stock bolt but from Titanium by RaceTech:
View attachment 10163

My choice of course is the 2 bottom bolts in the picture above, but first let's do some weighing:
Stock Steel:
View attachment 10164

Wrong Shape Titanium:
View attachment 10165

Ideal Shape Titanium:
View attachment 10166

and Full width no waist Titanium:
View attachment 10167

Of course, I choose the IDEAL waisted titanium because it is PERFECT when inserted in the cylinder spacer below:
View attachment 10168View attachment 10170

Of course, don't forget the Cross Drilled Titanium Washers from ProBolt on both side:
View attachment 10169
That is a great post. Very nice bolts and details
I always get a kick out of weighing pieces 👍

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Extra 10 horsepower there for sure 😏
Well, the micro polishing will not bring much horsepower :ROFLMAO: but hopefully help generate less friction, less heat, and hopefully longevity from "controlled break in"
The "R" camshaft on the other hand though... might bring another 10 hp at the minimum compare to the "S" camshaft and of course much much more compare to the stock non "S" camshaft...
However, I had been warned that the "R" camshaft due to the profile will make the engine need to be rev up more during low speed riding otherwise it will stall easier compare to the "S" camshafts...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I replace more parts with Titanium Equivalent, such as this Oil Plug:

IMG_8760.JPG

Oil Filter Nipple:
IMG_8761.JPG

Steel weight:
IMG_8762.JPG

Titanium weight (almost half the weight of steel):
IMG_8763.JPG

Slightly different diameters but still ok:
IMG_8764.JPG

Of course follow Ducati factory procedures of using Loctite 243 that can withstand Oil:
IMG_8765.JPG

and tightened it to the right torque:
IMG_8766.JPG

Voila:
IMG_8767.JPG

Also install brand new mesh oil filter and O-rings for it:
IMG_8768.JPG

Install special Aluminum Billet bolt for the gear drum springs/ball mechanism:
IMG_8769.JPG

IMG_8770.JPG

This is how the spring looks like:
IMG_8771.JPG

Then install the Neutral Gear Switch:
IMG_8772.JPG

IMG_8773.JPG

Oh, I also purchased a genuine Ducati Corse Swingarm Axle Titanium Bolt:
IMG_8776.JPG

And after I compare it with the similar but not the same Titanium Bolt I purchase from eBay UK, I decided the Ducati Corse version is better:
IMG_8778.JPG

To be continued soon, now I need to deal with all the new but unfriendly to use Windows 11 features... wish I stayed with Windows 10...

PanigalePilot

Staff member
I replace more parts with Titanium Equivalent, such as this Oil Plug:

View attachment 10355

Oil Filter Nipple:
View attachment 10356

Steel weight:
View attachment 10357

Titanium weight (almost half the weight of steel):
View attachment 10358

Slightly different diameters but still ok:
View attachment 10359

Of course follow Ducati factory procedures of using Loctite 243 that can withstand Oil:
View attachment 10360

and tightened it to the right torque:
View attachment 10361

Voila:
View attachment 10362

Also install brand new mesh oil filter and O-rings for it:
View attachment 10363

Install special Aluminum Billet bolt for the gear drum springs/ball mechanism:
View attachment 10364

View attachment 10365

This is how the spring looks like:
View attachment 10366

Then install the Neutral Gear Switch:
View attachment 10367

View attachment 10368

Oh, I also purchased a genuine Ducati Corse Swingarm Axle Titanium Bolt:
View attachment 10369

And after I compare it with the similar but not the same Titanium Bolt I purchase from eBay UK, I decided the Ducati Corse version is better:
View attachment 10370

To be continued soon, now I need to deal with all the new but unfriendly to use Windows 11 features... wish I stayed with Windows 10...
that was great finding those Ti special fittings pretty cool

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I am very busy these past 2 weeks traveling all over US, from Colorado, Utah, and to Michigan 😅
While I was away, several parts arrived, like this Motocorse steering damper bracket for MV Agusta that I will modify so I can use it for this 998:
IMG_8790.JPGIMG_8791.JPG IMG_8792.JPG

Also, the BRAND NEW Fuel Pump Plastic Bracket (inside the gas tank), which Ducati no longer made and WAS the only part of the Fuel Pump assy. that was not brand new finally arrived:
IMG_8786.JPGIMG_8787.JPG

I bought 2 pieces for spare :cool:

I also received the Stainless Steel Studs for Exhaust Manifolds from UK:
IMG_8785.JPG

And I bought extra Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter (I already have a brand new set, but this second set is just for long term spare) ;)
IMG_8789.JPG

I will do more work this weekend so please stay tune :D

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Ok, today is CHEMICAL Stripping day 🤓:

I used this Rust Stain Remover to strip the black anodized finished of 2 items:
IMG_8849.JPG

I don't like the black anodized finished of Podium Racing Gear Shift Arm:
IMG_8848.JPG

So soak it for few minutes while using paint brush to help strip the black anodized:
IMG_8850.JPG

Then it came out clean:
IMG_8851.JPG

Success bring more success with larger part, this time the IM Manufaktur CNC machined Rear Brake Caliper Bracket for Monster S4RS that also came as black anodized:
IMG_8852.JPGIMG_8854.JPG

The much larger parts takes longer and also create more "bubble" as a result of the chemical reactions:
IMG_8855.JPG

Then I wash them with water and later with Alcohol:
IMG_8857.JPGIMG_8858.JPG

Now washing them with Alcohol:
IMG_8859.JPGIMG_8860.JPG

I plan to further polish them so stay tune :cool: