Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Today, I received news that BST factory is unable to produce a BST Rapid Tek Wheel with Anodized Silver Hub (similar to the official Superleggera V4 wheel). They can only produce in Anodized Black hub.
This despite back in October, I was in direct contact with BST factory in South Africa where they confirm this is possible which is why I had paid for the BST wheel since last December.
It is a disappointing news so I asked for a refund and received the refund right away.

I really don't want a totally black color wheel...
The good news is, this give me an opportunity to order custom painted Marchesini M10RS CORSE Magnesium Forged Wheel and I am currently in discussion with Brad @MOTION SBK to get this order moving forward 😎
The lead time for Marchesini custom painted is around 20 to 24 weeks though (including summer August holiday in Italy)... so more patient is needed 😇
been there done that my M10RS corse in magnesium for my 1199S took 12 weeks to Australia from WRS in italy
I got gold

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
been there done that my M10RS corse in magnesium for my 1199S took 12 weeks to Australia from WRS in italy
I got gold
Hi PanigalePilot,
I am back to "undecided" again regarding the wheel.., too many "factors" to consider and reconsider 😅

By the way, I was busy with office work again this weekend but I managed to squeeze some time working on the 999s engine... well more like measuring all the bolts inside the crankcase so I can replace all of them with ProTi...
I noticed most of the bolts is only grade 8.8 so the ProTi Titanium bolts with Grade 10.9 is going to be a stronger and lighter upgrades.

Taking out the bolts one by one to measure, and in this particular case,
VOIS7726.JPG

turn out I already have the exact size needed from the extra bolts out of the Panigale V4 916 projects so I can replace it today:
IMG_7165.JPGIMG_7166.JPG
IMG_7167.JPGIMG_7168.JPG

Found more bolts that I already have extra:
IMG_7169.JPGIMG_7170.JPG

Upgraded to ProTi:
IMG_7173.JPG

Wait, I have more extra bolts... hahaha.. I have so many extra bolts unused from previous projects.... so again replace the stock steel with ProTi Titanium:
IMG_7174.JPGIMG_7175.JPG

Unfortunately, I still have a lot of ProTi bolts to purchase to replace these bolts:
UPTO6681.JPG

Oh, I also found these TITANIUM Engine Mounting Nuts from eBay UK a few months ago but the seller refuse to ship to USA...
Luckily I found a way and its finally here, like what they said "when there is a will, there is a way" 😎:
IMG_7156.JPGIMG_7157.JPG

IMG_7158.JPG

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Hi PanigalePilot,
I am back to "undecided" again regarding the wheel.., too many "factors" to consider and reconsider 😅

By the way, I was busy with office work again this weekend but I managed to squeeze some time working on the 999s engine... well more like measuring all the bolts inside the crankcase so I can replace all of them with ProTi...
I noticed most of the bolts is only grade 8.8 so the ProTi Titanium bolts with Grade 10.9 is going to be a stronger and lighter upgrades.

Taking out the bolts one by one to measure, and in this particular case,
View attachment 8765

turn out I already have the exact size needed from the extra bolts out of the Panigale V4 916 projects so I can replace it today:
View attachment 8755View attachment 8756
View attachment 8757View attachment 8758

Found more bolts that I already have extra:
View attachment 8759View attachment 8760

Upgraded to ProTi:
View attachment 8761

Wait, I have more extra bolts... hahaha.. I have so many extra bolts unused from previous projects.... so again replace the stock steel with ProTi Titanium:
View attachment 8762View attachment 8763

Unfortunately, I still have a lot of ProTi bolts to purchase to replace these bolts:
View attachment 8764

Oh, I also found these TITANIUM Engine Mounting Nuts from eBay UK a few months ago but the seller refuse to ship to USA...
Luckily I found a way and its finally here, like what they said "when there is a will, there is a way" 😎:
View attachment 8766View attachment 8767

View attachment 8768
great post👍

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I need to measure the correct length of the bolt that hold the front caliper, in my case the GP4-MS to the Motocorse Lower Billet Ohlins Forks because the Panigale V4S have 330mm rotors while the 998 only have 320mm rotors which means the 5mm Titanium Spacers is no longer used.
The stock length bolt was 55mm, turn out even after the 5mm spacers remove the 55mm bolt still fit inside the Motocorse Lower Billet Ohlins Forks so I just need to buy the same 55mm length but instead of using the current ProTi, I want to ahem "change" to the Motocorse front Titanium bolts caliper that I will order soon ;)

In the meantime...
I also want to know how the color combinations of the Nickel Plated GP4-MS looks with the RED anodized Motocorse Billet Lower Ohlins Forks and here they are and again those ProiTi Titanium bolts will be replace with the Motocorse version 🥳, I think they look Gorgeous 🥰:
IMG_7195.JPG IMG_7196.JPG

Next,
I want to test fit the adaptor from M10 Banjo Thread directly to AN type fitting of the Staubli, however, I don't think they will work well with the GP4-MS caliper since the outlet orientation is like in the picture below... it might have clearance issue with the wheel (unless I want to add some more AN adapter, but that would make it NOT ELEGANT solution)...
so I think I am going to stay with using Staubli Banjo Style connection:
IMG_7198.JPGIMG_7199.JPG

Next... is test fit the Stahlbus quick bleeder to make sure they look well... Gorgeous :p and I think they are:
IMG_7203.JPGIMG_7200.JPG

IMG_7205.JPGIMG_7206.JPG

IMG_7208.JPGIMG_7207.JPG

I think I will have a pleasant sleep tonight knowing the color combo works ;)

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
That looks absolutely insane. Too good!
Great job. I was skeptical in the beginning but it flows well.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
That looks absolutely insane. Too good!
Great job. I was skeptical in the beginning but it flows well.
Thanks HKMP7, to be honest, I was worried too 😅
and related to this Red Anodized Color Choice... now I need to think the best color choice either Cerakote or Anodized for the Center Hat of the BrakeTech Rear Rotor for 848/Monster S4RS that just arrived... yes it is 848/Monster S4RS because these bikes came with 245mm larger rear rotor vs. stock 998 rear rotor of 220mm.
I also already have the 848 rear caliper hanger that fit this 245 rear rotor that will be red anodized so the center hat of this BrakeTech rear rotor need to be a good contrast with the red anodized hanger and also red anodized locking floating bobbin from Braketech. hmmmm anyway, this is the rear BrakeTech 245mm rear rotor that just arrived yesterday:
IMG_7222.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I spent this weekend measuring all the bolts that need to be replace with ProTi Titanium bolts and still not finished yet 😅.

I also start assembling some of the sections such as the Battery Holder, Stock Starter Relay, also figuring out how to install the second higher capacity starter relay and the Panigale V4S DC Voltage Regulator with adapter cable from Triumph.

Below are the stock battery holder, the brand new 998 Battery Holder and ST4 Battery Holder because I need the battery bracket from the ST4 (used) since Ducati no longer sell this battery plate bracket:
IMG_7225.JPG

I test fit this battery plate bracket from ST4 to make sure it fit the Anti Gravity Lithium Batteries and it fit perfectly.
IMG_7228.JPG

Oh, I also have some extra ProTi Titanium Bolt with the same size but in both gold and Titanium Silver color so I decided to use the Gold for the positive terminal and the Titanium Silver for the negative terminals:
IMG_7227.JPG

Found this Blue Vibration Damper inside mountains of brand new parts so I decided to install it on the brand new 998R Oil Cooler:
IMG_7223.JPG

Also need to test fit the Rizoma Turn Signal along with the Bronze Cerakoted Rizoma for Scramble turn signal adapter, then I measure the ideal ProTi titanium bolts size for this:
IMG_7230.JPG
IMG_7231.JPG

Then test fit the Corsa Garage Rear Oil Breather Box (Carbon Fiber) with the Monoposto Subframe that had been Cerakoted Glacier Silver...
Turn out, I still need to drill holes on the Carbon Fiber to mount it to the Subframe... but it does looks perfect 🥰:
IMG_7232.JPGIMG_7234.JPG

Install some of the rubber Nuts:
IMG_7235.JPG

Then, I decided to start figuring out on how I can install the 1198 Melotti Racing License Plate Bracket onto this 998 Corsa Garage Carbon Fiber Oil Breather,... and it did took me a couple of hours of thinking (by test fitting):
IMG_7236.JPGIMG_7237.JPG
IMG_7238.JPG
IMG_7239.JPG

Then I decided the only way is to drill holes a bit rearward so it will clear the "hump" of the breather box. First need to marked it with Sharpie and ruler to make sure the hole will be straight, then drill them:
IMG_7241.JPG

Test fit with some extra bolts:
IMG_7242.JPG

Check the angle with the stock license plate bracket:
IMG_7240.JPG

And VOILA:
IMG_7243.JPG IMG_7244.JPG

IMG_7245.JPG

IMG_7248.JPG

IMG_7246.JPG

PERFECT :cool:... well... I need to add some carbon fiber and resin to reinforce the area where I drilled some extra holes along with some ProBolt (yes ProBolt Titanium washers that I just ordered a few hours ago).... stay tune....
Ok, time to get some rest and continue next week 😃

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Today, I decided to check the fitment of the Upper and Lower Triple Clamp while also measuring all the ProTi Titanium Bolts needed.
First, I found out that 22mm is the ideal length for the bolts on the lower triple clamp and luckily I have plenty of M8 22mm bolts that was used to be for the Panigale V4S rear set:
IMG_7270.JPG
IMG_7271.JPG

Next step is test fitting the Upper Triple Clamp which include the Ohlins SD 031 Steering Damper kit for 998.
And this is when I find out all the "challenges".
So please note that the upper triple clamp I test fit in the picture below is from 999R because I just love the design, but the SD031 Steering Damper Kit is for 998 Upper Triple Clamp was not designed for 999R upper triple clamp as a result, it sits much higher, precisely about 25mm or 1 inch higher than it should be:

IMG_7275.JPG

The bolt on the left of the picture below should clearly show that 1" (25mm) extra height):
IMG_7276.JPG

Yes, I could use a spacer and 25mm longer bolt, however... it also mean it create extra leverage which also means putting extra stress on the mounting to the frame.
So I am now thinking on a way to make the Ohlins steering damper sits lower. At least 10mm lower, so I only need to add about 15mm of spacer.
Picture below should make it even clearer of the 25mm extra height:

IMG_7281.JPG

In the meantime, I think everything looks good 🤩
IMG_7278.JPG

IMG_7280.JPG

IMG_7279.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I spent most of the day working on my car today, and later in the day, I am back on researching how to fix the 999R Upper Triple Clamp and Ohlins for 998 kit issue...
First, I decided to purchase the 999 Upper Triple Clamp replica for 998 application from PerformanceParts.de in Germany link here: https://www.performanceparts.de/en/ducati/748-916-996-998/triple-clamps-handlebars/75/upper-triple-clamp-ducati748-916-996-998-design-like-999?c=530

1656915770632.png

This would easily solve everything,... however, I just ... well,... really want the original 999R Upper Triple Clamp... but since I already paid for the replica above... I decided to just keep the order and perhaps I can use it as example on how to design the steering lock mechanism... since the 999R steering lock mechanism also do not work with the 998...

But then,... while I am doing more research... I stumble on this MV Agusta Steering Damper bracket by... well Motocorse 😇
Braccialetto Silver.jpg001_Silver.jpg

004_Silver.jpg
I think I crazily in love with this bracket :love:
Hmmm... I think I need to somehow make it work with both original 999R Upper Triple Clamp and this Motocorse Steering Damper bracket (for MV Agusta)... I already have some idea on how to make a strong spacer for the end of the steering damper attached to the Steel Trellis Frame...
So, I will order this Motocorse Steering Damper Bracket soon...

In the meantime, I took more picture to directly compare the 999R Upper Triple Clamp and 998 stock upper triple clamp:
IMG_7282.JPGIMG_7283.JPG

Also this is the stock Ohlins Kit steering damper bracket, now equipped with ProTi Titanium Clamp bolts... It was very nice looking ... until I saw the Motocorse brackets 😅:
IMG_7285.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Today, I decided to start painting again... and initially, I paint using large cartoon box and use thread to kinda "suspension bridge" style the Left Billet Side Stand Bracket so I can paint the other surface using clear coat paint.
Because this Billet Side Stand Bracket was NOT anodized, so I better clear coat it to make sure it won't stain. Also it is not possible to anodized it since there is some titanium pin on it and it was press fit into the billet aluminum body.
So the best way is to just clear coat them with paint:
IMG_7295.JPGIMG_7295.JPG

But then, when I want to also clear coat the Right Side Rear Brake Master Cylinder bracket... I realized the best way is to just hang them... and after looking around in my garage... I saw the garage door rails is a great place to hang it (carefully place it so it won't interfere with the garage door movement or my car coming into the garage:
IMG_7291.JPGIMG_7292.JPG

You guys can't see it on the above picture but I used some coat hanger :ROFLMAO:, and shown on these pictures when I hang the billet RS Rear Shock Upper Bracket below:
IMG_7293.JPG

But then I modify the way I hang the RS bracket to this:
IMG_7297.JPG

And here are more pictures before I paint it:
IMG_7298.JPGIMG_7299.JPGIMG_7300.JPG

Then first coat of Red Anodized Paint:
IMG_7301.JPGIMG_7302.JPG

Then more and more coats of Red Anodized until it is very shiny 🤩, well even managed to over spray a tiny bit but that's ok... I consider it "hand made imperfection" :ROFLMAO: :
IMG_7309.JPGIMG_7310.JPG

And finally after the last coat... wow, SHINY 😎🤣. Now will wait it to completely dry for about 3 weeks to make sure they are hardened by the heat inside the garage during California summer (like a paint oven 😉):
IMG_7312.JPGIMG_7313.JPG

Then, I asked my sons to take out the showa forks from the frame:
IMG_7314.JPGIMG_7315.JPG

Ok, will do a bit more polishing for the rear brake caliper bracket from 848 EVO... and update later ...

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Today, I decided to start painting again... and initially, I paint using large cartoon box and use thread to kinda "suspension bridge" style the Left Billet Side Stand Bracket so I can paint the other surface using clear coat paint.
Because this Billet Side Stand Bracket was NOT anodized, so I better clear coat it to make sure it won't stain. Also it is not possible to anodized it since there is some titanium pin on it and it was press fit into the billet aluminum body.
So the best way is to just clear coat them with paint:
View attachment 9416View attachment 9417

But then, when I want to also clear coat the Right Side Rear Brake Master Cylinder bracket... I realized the best way is to just hang them... and after looking around in my garage... I saw the garage door rails is a great place to hang it (carefully place it so it won't interfere with the garage door movement or my car coming into the garage:
View attachment 9418View attachment 9419

You guys can't see it on the above picture but I used some coat hanger :ROFLMAO:, and shown on these pictures when I hang the billet RS Rear Shock Upper Bracket below:
View attachment 9420

But then I modify the way I hang the RS bracket to this:
View attachment 9421

And here are more pictures before I paint it:
View attachment 9422View attachment 9423View attachment 9424

Then first coat of Red Anodized Paint:
View attachment 9425View attachment 9426

Then more and more coats of Red Anodized until it is very shiny 🤩, well even managed to over spray a tiny bit but that's ok... I consider it "hand made imperfection" :ROFLMAO: :
View attachment 9427View attachment 9433

And finally after the last coat... wow, SHINY 😎🤣. Now will wait it to completely dry for about 3 weeks to make sure they are hardened by the heat inside the garage during California summer (like a paint oven 😉):
View attachment 9429View attachment 9430

Then, I asked my sons to take out the showa forks from the frame:
View attachment 9431View attachment 9432

Ok, will do a bit more polishing for the rear brake caliper bracket from 848 EVO... and update later ...
nice work H

BMW Alpina

Staff member
nice work H
Thanks so much for the kind words @PanigalePilot :D

I was traveling all week to visit clients in Mid-West & East Coast this week, but when I arrived back home at midnight last night... I have 2 exciting boxes to open:
First box is the LIGHTENED (Corse Spec), Balanced, and Super Polished Crankshaft, all work perform by Brian of Boulder Motor Sports in Colorado 🤩.

As a reminder, although my bike is a 998, but the engine will come from a 2005 999S, so this crankshaft below is from that 2005 999S engine with super low mileage of only a few thousand kilometers.

Those Pankl TITANIUM Connecting Rods were also re tightened to the crankshaft using NEW Titanium Bolts because I don't want any risk from reusing those bolts (even though in theory, it should be ok for 2 or 3 times tightened and re tightened before they stretch too much):
IMG_7443.JPG

More pictures:
IMG_7447.JPGIMG_7450.JPG

IMG_7456.JPGIMG_7452.JPG

Brian also marked the PISTAL High Compression Forged Pistons:
IMG_7444.JPG

Next, as soon as I have all the parts needed, I will send the 2 cylinder heads to be "MODIFIED" 😉 and also for every gear that can be SUPERPOLISHED (Micro Polished) 😎 by Brian of Boulder Motor Sports

Second, I had been HUNTING for a brand new 998 radiator fans because they have similar shape to the 999 radiator fans but their socket connector are different and only work for 998 wiring harness.
Now, what is interesting, the fan that was New but Old Stock are the same as the original fan that came to my bike on which it have some kind of dark yellow (almost look like they are rust) coating on top of the motor just like on the first picture below.
So even when they were new, they already look like an OLD RUSTED fan:
IMG_7436.JPG

But the latest spare parts from Ducati no longer have this ugly dark yellow coating, like picture below. (well they do have some coating but it is a CLEAR Resin coating so they look much better:
IMG_7437.JPG

The problem is, I can only find 1 brand new fan that came from recent batch of production after searching the entire world. So finger crossed, by this September, Ducati will have a new batch of the newer style fan (with clear resin coating) back in stock so I can buy 1 more fan.
This way the left and right radiator fan will look the same (and better).
Here are more comparison pictures between my 2 old fan that came with the bike, and the brand new fan that just arrived this week:
IMG_7435.JPGIMG_7438.JPG

IMG_7440.JPGIMG_7441.JPG

If you notice on one of the picture above, there is a gold sticker saying "JAPAN", but what funny is, the box for the new fan show that it made in Czech Republic... well maybe Mitsuba have a production facility in Czech but I certainly hope they are as good as the original one build in Japan...
IMG_7442.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Below are side by side pictures of the crankshaft before and after:
View attachment 9461View attachment 9462

View attachment 9463View attachment 9464
The more I review this knife edge and polishing, the more I have concern, so long story short, I believe I will either redo the knife edge and polishing process using this crankshaft,
or if necessary, I will just go buy a new crankshaft and knife edge/polish it again. Hopefully, I can still reuse this crankshaft to save cost.

craig bush

The more I review this knife edge and polishing, the more I have concern, so long story short, I believe I will either redo the knife edge and polishing process using this crankshaft,
or if necessary, I will just go buy a new crankshaft and knife edge/polish it again. Hopefully, I can still reuse this crankshaft to save cost.
What’s your concern?

BMW Alpina

Staff member
What’s your concern?
It's more of cosmetic concern because the shape of the knife edge between the left and right lobe is not symmetrical because this looks like is was purely done by hand and also there are still some rough surfaces (pores), that might be because it already hit the right balancing weight before they can "cut/polish" more to make it smooth. However, this engine build got to be perfect so I want to redo it.
IMG_7458.JPG
IMG_7459.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
One more bracket arrived... this one is for the tail fairing:
Please note this bracket no longer available from Ducati so I need to hunt to find the brand new OLD STOCK unit and... luckily I find one. Here are the comparison between new and old bracket:
IMG_7471.JPG

I also decided to take out the whole eccentric steering and lower triple clamp assembly from the main frame so I can send the main frame for re-painting soon:
IMG_7514.JPG

IMG_7507.JPGIMG_7509.JPG

Looks like my frame was build in August 02, 2002 or 08/02/02 🤩:
IMG_7510.JPG

topolino

One more bracket arrived... this one is for the tail fairing:
Please note this bracket no longer available from Ducati so I need to hunt to find the brand new OLD STOCK unit and... luckily I find one. Here are the comparison between new and old bracket:
View attachment 9506

I also decided to take out the whole eccentric steering and lower triple clamp assembly from the main frame so I can send the main frame for re-painting soon:
View attachment 9507

View attachment 9508View attachment 9509

Looks like my frame was build in August 02, 2002 or 08/02/02 🤩:
View attachment 9510
Howard, why don't you get the original tail fairing bracket re-plated in bright nickel (or yellow passivated if you want it to resemble the original appearance) since it does not seem that bad compared to the new one you bought. Even on the new one, the plating is not good quality from the factory. Have you thought of Cerakoting them to a similar colour, which would last much longer? Or you could have them galvanised then paint them. I had alll the metal work on the Monster 620ie I restored bright zinc plated after galvanising them, and they still look good 5 years on. Cadmium plating used to be the way to go but it is no longer allowed in the UK due to it's toxicity and it's harmful environmental properties.