DUCATI ECU and BBS Tuning (Racing EVO) for aftermarket exhaust

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if you’ll be able to buy a ‘slip-on’ to fit into the current Akra headers that are available.
😉😉

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Well, if they just let me know last year that they will be releasing an official Akrapovic under tail exhaust, I would have wait and just buy this one because I am sure the fitment and everything will be perfect.
I believe (and I hope still the same policy), you can get upmap if you show your bike is not going to be used on the street and write an affidavit.
I guess I will find out in the next few weeks when I will try to upgrade my map to the official Akrapovic full system (the old one not this new one) upmap.
However, I already invest way too much money, time and effort with my SC-Project WSBK exhaust with Termignoni Silencers modified that I actually already fall in love with mine and nothing change my love for errr my current exhaust 🤪

Actually, here is a good song that I will sing to this new undertail Akrapovic system:

ggok

Last edited:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Thanks @ggok ,
This is already on my next equipment to buy list because this is very useful and like you said can do almost everything the Ducati Diagnostic tool have.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hello @ggok,

I have not done any research yet, but if you had experience this before and know the answer, please kindly advise me.

So, after I started my engine with the new exhaust yesterday, I noticed the check engine line on the dashboard is now on.
a. Is there any way to check the OBD code (error code) without using any diagnostic equipment since I don't have any at this moment?
(Note: I just purchased the OBDStar iScan for Ducati and the Texa dual charging cable, but they won't arrive until at least 2 weeks from now).

b. I also installed the module to bypass the exhaust valve and I also install back the front and rear O2/Lambda sensor on the new exhaust pipe before I started the engine, but why do I still get error?
From what I recall, this O2/Lambda sensor was located BEFORE the stock catalytic converter on the original stock exhaust so I don't think it detect the change without catalytic converter...
Or maybe because my bike now run too lean? or maybe the check engine light come out because it detect too much contaminant from the oil in the SC-Project exhaust (that usually come with new exhaust)?
Or maybe from you post above, this could be because my oil is very low because now I see on the window that the oil is below the minimum level... hmmmmmmm

Please kindly help and advise. Thanks from Howard

Edited: because I just bought the OBDStar iScan

Last edited:

ggok

Hello @ggok,

I have not done any research yet, but if you had experience this before and know the answer, please kindly advise me.
So, after I started my engine with the new exhaust yesterday, I noticed the check engine line on the dashboard is now on.
a. Is there any way to check the OBD code (error code) without using any diagnostic equipment since I don't have any at this moment?
(Note: I just purchased the OBDStar iScan for Ducati and the Texa dual charging cable, but they won't arrive until at least 2 weeks from now).

b. I also installed the module to bypass the exhaust valve and I also install back the front and rear O2/Lambda sensor on the new exhaust pipe before I started the engine, but why do I still get error?
From what I recall, this O2/Lambda sensor was located BEFORE the stock catalytic converter on the original stock exhaust so I don't think it detect the change without catalytic converter...
Or maybe because my bike now run too lean? or maybe the check engine light come out because it detect too much contaminant from the oil in the SC-Project exhaust (that usually come with new exhaust)?
Or maybe from you post above, this could be because my oil is very low because now I see on the window that the oil is below the minimum level... hmmmmmmm

Please kindly help and advise. Thanks from Howard

Edited: because I just bought the OBDStar iScan
I don't think it is the cause of the error because the suspension and bypass module for the exhaust servo motor are installed.

Most of the MIL lights I experienced were caused by temporary exhaust servo motor errors and O2λ sensor errors caused by forgetting to connect the connector.
There are many reasons why the MIL lamp lights up. It is difficult to find the cause from the video.

By the way, when I was watching the video, there were a few things that bothered me.
When the MIL lamp turned on, it appeared that the fluid was not filled in the brake oil cup.
When the main key is turned on, the ABS pump solenoid valve is tested for proper operation.
If the front brake line is not filled with fluid, air is drawn into the ABS pump unit.
The air in the unit can only be removed by a special method with the diagnostic unit connected.
You can probably do this with an OBDSTAR device, but you should also work at a Ducati dealer for your safety.

Also, I think it is the first time to start the engine after modification, but have you been able to expel the air in the radiator line?
An engine coolant temperature sensor error also illuminates the MIL lamp.

If the MIL lamp is illuminated due to a transient error, start the engine and allow it to idle until the cooling fan is activated.
Then turn off the primary key. If you do this same operation 3 times, the MIL lamp will turn off.

If you want to investigate the cause immediately, buy a few dollars of the odd2 tool on Amazon. 😜
mini_20211112_065810142_iOS.jpg

20200307_074314000_iOS.png

20200307_074303000_iOS.png

20200307_074255000_iOS.png

20190105_071924000_iOS.png

20190105_071935000_iOS.png

20200730_090052000_iOS.png

20200306_065338000_iOS.png

20200306_034712000_iOS.png

20200306_065350000_iOS.jpg

20200306_065358000_iOS.jpg

20200306_065405000_iOS.png

White line is CAN-Hi Yellow line is CAN-Low Red line is + Black line is - earth
20181214_024029595_iOS.jpg

20181214_024034894_iOS.jpg

20181213_143329000_iOS 1.jpg

20181213_143329000_iOS.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Thanks ggok, I already contacted the dealer to perform the UPMAP, waiting for them to respond since they closed (holiday) every Monday (yesterday).
Yes, I don't have any front brake line and caliper installed for now, still waiting for the Ohlins FGR400 new forks to be released by Ohlins.
I guess, it's either the dealer fix it, or I tried to cycle 3 times, or wait until OBDstar arrived.
Thanks again for your guidance.
(y)😀

MaverickiB

Thanks ggok, I already contacted the dealer to perform the UPMAP, waiting for them to respond since they closed (holiday) every Monday (yesterday).
Yes, I don't have any front brake line and caliper installed for now, still waiting for the Ohlins FGR400 new forks to be released by Ohlins.
I guess, it's either the dealer fix it, or I tried to cycle 3 times, or wait until OBDstar arrived.
Thanks again for your guidance.
(y)😀
Wait, you haven't had the UpMap applied yet? Did you use a healtech or other termination module for the exhaust flapper valve?

If the plug for the exhaust flapper is just sitting there without anything attached, there's your error code. The Akra map disables that circuit entirely.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Wait, you haven't had the UpMap applied yet? Did you use a healtech or other termination module for the exhaust flapper valve?

If the plug for the exhaust flapper is just sitting there without anything attached, there's your error code. The Akra map disables that circuit entirely.
Hi MaverickiB,
I have not install the UpMAP yet, still trying to get appointment with the dealership.
I did plug the Healtech Exhaust Valve bypss module BEFORE I start the engine.
I can't wait for the OBDStar module to arrive to check what is the code.

ggok

It is very good to share useful information with other DUCATI owners.
However, I don't want the sales price to rise in the future, and if it is based on my post, the introduction on other forums is not very pleasant. Why don't you put a link to the DUCATI MODIFY site? Interested people will visit the site.

I like the atmosphere of the DUCATI MODIFY site. That's why I post a lot on this site.

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
the introduction on other forums is not very pleasant.

I like the atmosphere of the DUCATI MODIFY site. That's why I post a lot on this site.
I visit the other forums and eat my popcorn while people argue. There are some very experienced members who post great info there sometimes, often you have to look back through the archives.

But everyone here is constructive and enjoys seeing what crazy ideas each other comes up with. Every day I learn a lot from both the frequent & infrequent member posts. Quality > quantity

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I read on the product page of the MS50: http://www.obdstar.com/Products_271.html
Screenshot below:
1638998971398.png

and wondering if this is really can work with the way Ducati distribute their UPMAP...

In fact, I will be very interested in purchasing a device that can upload Ducati Official Akrapovic UPMAP to the ECU.
From my understanding, right now, Ducati dealer can only upload the official UPMAP to the ECU after the VIN number of the bike was registered into the Ducati Server/Computer system as a bike equipped with Akrapovic official exhaust. This mean the Ducati tool at Ducati dealership need to be able to login into the Ducati server/computer system.
And if I am not mistaken, only official Ducati dealership can get the login access to this Ducati server/computer system.

If those access is available to non Ducati official dealer (for a price of course), than I am quite interested.

hihihehe

I read on the product page of the MS50: MS50 STD - Professional Tool - OBDSTAR Technology Co., Ltd
Screenshot below:
View attachment 6845

and wondering if this is really can work with the way Ducati distribute their UPMAP...

In fact, I will be very interested in purchasing a device that can upload Ducati Official Akrapovic UPMAP to the ECU.
From my understanding, right now, Ducati dealer can only upload the official UPMAP to the ECU after the VIN number of the bike was registered into the Ducati Server/Computer system as a bike equipped with Akrapovic official exhaust. This mean the Ducati tool at Ducati dealership need to be able to login into the Ducati server/computer system.
And if I am not mistaken, only official Ducati dealership can get the login access to this Ducati server/computer system.

If those access is available to non Ducati official dealer (for a price of course), than I am quite interested.
If this device can program ecu, i will look like same way up-map or Dimsport (Alientech) device or tuneboy. Only write direct to ecu (can't program bbs).
Offical dealer DDS3 is different because they're factory tool & can program bbs for Evo2 (qs/traction control).
Yes correct, Ducati dealer need access their server to confirm VIN.

I don't know if Rexxer Itali can read/write bbs for newest model ? Anyone can confirm it ?

BMW Alpina

Staff member
If this device can program ecu, i will look like same way up-map or Dimsport (Alientech) device or tuneboy. Only write direct to ecu (can't program bbs).
Offical dealer DDS3 is different because they're factory tool & can program bbs for Evo2 (qs/traction control).
Yes correct, Ducati dealer need access their server to confirm VIN.

I don't know if Rexxer Itali can read/write bbs for newest model ? Anyone can confirm it ?
Hello hihihehe,
I spoke to Rexxer Italy early this year and they are still unable to read/write BBS for 2020 and newer model, they can only write ECU so they don't have the DTC EVO2 upgrade yet for 2020 and newer model.

By the way, I contacted Texa distributor and he just replied telling me that even if I buy their most expensive TEXA diagnostic tool for Ducati, the tool still cannot update the ECU software with Ducati official update. Only dealer can update the ECU since only dealer have access to Ducati server.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Following @ggok advice, I started my bike again today and after the fan turn on, I turn it off, waited a few minutes and re started it.
VOILA the engine error light is now GONE from the dashboard 😃
Thanks again @ggok...

So I am guessing this is either because the oil level was too low, or the O2 sensor detect way too much emission on the exhaust (due to all the oil when SC-Project is manufacturing the exhaust pipe or from the antiseized I applied when assembling/installing the exhaust and burned during first start up).
Or maybe because the radiator coolant level also a bit low (I did top it up this morning). It was full when I just fill it up after replacing the Samco, but maybe after the engine run, all the trapped air in the hose and engine water jacket went away and thus the lower coolant fluid.
I guess we will find out soon, what is the engine error code was when the OBDStar diagnostic equipment arrived.

Below is the picture of my dashboard after the engine error light went away 🤩:
IMG_4566.JPG

ggok

Since the gear position is displayed on the dashboard, the error is not due to an abnormality or failure of the gear position sensor.

The ▲general error warning light is also on, indicating an abnormality or malfunction in a control unit other than the ECU, so the method of turning off the MIL light will not turn off the ▲general error warning light, nor will it turn off the error displayed in the lower right corner of the dashboard.

It is very bad to recommend the error elimination procedure using heat cycle and power latch easily.

DTC DWC DSC DQS is often caused by a malfunction in the BBS control unit, but even if you try to find the cause of the problem with a diagnostic machine, it is often not clear. disconnecting the ground side terminal of the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting it will often fix the problem naturally.

Last edited:

ggok

I read on the product page of the MS50: http://www.obdstar.com/Products_271.html
Screenshot below:
View attachment 6845

DUCATI genuine diagnostics are made by TEXA. A part number is assigned to a genuine diagnostic machine for ordering. Before the software major version 8 of genuine diagnostic equipment, if you get the diagnostic equipment somehow, you can access DUCATI's server, and even if you are not a DUCATI dealer, you can do various things 😁
However, the security hole was closed by major version 8.

Even if you now have a DUCATI genuine diagnostic machine, you will not be able to access the DUCATI server. Of course, access is not possible even with TEXA general-purpose diagnostics.

The DUCATI genuine diagnostic equipment is specialized for DUCATI vehicles, and it was not possible to diagnose by vehicle manufacturers other than DUCATI. However, since about 2 years ago, by making a subscription contract, it has become possible to diagnose motorcycles all over the world like the TEXA general-purpose machine. It may be a good contract plan for a company that runs a multi-manufacturer motorcycle dealer.

This has nothing to do with communication with the DUCATI server or with the ECU UP-MAP.
I have already replied to you, but I think it means ignition of ECU, fuel adjustment and editing.