Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Thanks so much HKMP7 😃 ,
I am not sure whether Millennium Tech or usnicom.com (US Chrome). Do you have experience with any of this 2 companies?
Please kindly advise if you did. Thanks again
Yes with Millennium Tech but its was super long ago 05-06. Was a good experience they did some cylinder head work. Several of the race teams in Motoamerica use them tho.

Last edited:

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday, I received a "pre-order" from fellow Ducati enthusiast who want to purchase my original swing arm, brake calipers and front brake/clutch master cylinders.
So I decided to try taking out the swing arm and the engine.

First I take out the 2 upper nut on the left side that hold the 2 engine mounting bolts to the frame:

IMG_5468.JPG

Then I took out the bolt that hold the long hollow stud (axle) of the swing arm to the frame/engine crankcase on the right side:
IMG_5469.JPG

Next, tried to push out the long hollow stud (axle) using a longer bolt and use hammer like Ducati Service Manual shows, but it won't bulge despite many PB blaster spray and lots of effort.
I know that this axle often seize if it is not regularly taken out and grease every year or so. So, I want to wait for a better SPECIAL OFFICIAL TOOLS from Ducati before I really push it out by hammer.
Which means, I cannot took out the rear axle and engine this weekend... well, I got to be patient ;)

So, I decided to do other works needed like cutting the chain and throw it away to the garbage bin :ROFLMAO:
IMG_5471.JPG

Cleaning all the sprocket, swing arm, hub, as much as I can so the new owner will received a clean parts from me 😃, well, I like to always make my customer happy (y):
IMG_5472.JPGIMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5474.JPGIMG_5478.JPG

IMG_5489.JPG

And I will take more parts form the bike today 🥳

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I continued "LIGHTENED" the bike 🤣 by taking out parts from it:
Taking out the Speedometer/Tachometer/Dashboard assembly:
IMG_5494.JPGIMG_5495.JPG

Taking out the light housing assembly:
IMG_5496.JPG

Taking out the zinc plated bracket that hold the light assembly to the frame:
IMG_5503.JPGIMG_5505.JPG

Taking out the Front Brake System and Clutch Master Cylinder:
IMG_5506.JPGIMG_5508.JPG

Taking out the front wiring harness:
IMG_5507.JPG

So now it looks like this:
IMG_5512.JPGIMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5514.JPG

Now, it's time to assemble my new Ducati Performance Front Stand, and as usual, it require a lot of BANGING to fully assemble all the plastic joints, even after I add Silicone Grease to help:
IMG_5509.JPGIMG_5510.JPG
IMG_5511.JPG

Then use it to lift the front forks:
IMG_5515.JPGIMG_5516.JPG
IMG_5517.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Next, I took out that front wheel off the bike:
IMG_5533.JPGIMG_5534.JPG

Add central jack under the engine to help and make sure it is stable:
IMG_5535.JPG

Took out the front rotor from the wheel so I can sell those Brembo Original Disk Brakes:
IMG_5542.JPGIMG_5543.JPG

Then install the wheel back on the bike for now so I can still roll the bike:
IMG_5537.JPGIMG_5539.JPG

Then I took a lot of pictures on where the tie-lock and rubber tie for the main harness just so I remember how it was routed before I took it out:
IMG_5559.JPG

And here now how the bike look without wire harness:
IMG_5560.JPGIMG_5561.JPG

IMG_5562.JPGIMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5571.JPGIMG_5572.JPG

This is how my SUPERLEGGERA modification looks like hahaha VERY LIGHT 🤪🤣
On a serious note, the older generation Ducati is so simple in design... unlike the current generation, I mean just take a look at those frames, engine and suspension setup.

I also spent this weekend to measure many bolts and ordered their ProTi Titanium equivalent, but I still have so many bolts left un measured...
I also need to wait until the Ducati Special Tools to remove the swingarm stud so I can take out the swingarm and the engine at the same time..

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Today is a GREAT Wednesday because...
many parts I ordered from Ducati Omaha during their BLACK FRIDAY sale, finally arrived 🥳:

First, some T-Shirt, Socks, keychain that were on sale and some Ducati by Rizoma Brake and Clutch Reservoir for Panigale V4 but I will use it for this 998 project 🤩
IMG_5592.JPG

Then the Ducati by Rizoma frame slider for Hypermotard and Ducati Monster 1200S, but it will fit this project when I replace the forks with Ohlins from my Panigale V4S...
It also looks like the Ducati by Rizoma frame slider specific for Panigale V4S, but it's have narrow distance between the 2 forks:
IMG_5593.JPG

Then, the 20mm (THIN WALLED) socket that I somehow don't have yet... and needed only for 1 bolt, which is the Rear Swingarm Axle Nut bolt for 998 arrived from Amazon today:
IMG_5589.JPGIMG_5590.JPGIMG_5591.JPG

Last, like Thor, I want to prove that I am WORTHY by buying some HAMMER and be able to lift it 🤪, because I will need this sledge hammer to help me took out that stubborn rear axle of the swing arm (after the Ducati special tools arrived of course):
IMG_5607.JPG

Wait, I forgot this is NOT the last parts.

So, I also purchase a LEFT Carbon Fiber Fairing from Corsa Garage that is the replica of 998R Carbon Fiber Fairing... but why I only buy the left side?
Because I don't plan to use it on my bike, but I will use this as a parts that will be polished by the robotic system I represent for a trade show demonstration ;)
But, I just want to share it here in case some reader would like to use this gorgeous and nicely build Carbon Fiber fairing from Corsa Garage for their project. Note, that it have KEVLAR reinforcement:
IMG_5605.JPGIMG_5606.JPG

Now, the last part for Project 998 that arrived today came from our own forum official vendor @Melotti Racing
Diego designed a super nice licence plate holder for Ducati 1198 and I made up my mind that somehow, someway, I will install it on my 998 (in combination with some parts from Ducati by Rizoma license plate holder also for 1198) and here it is:
IMG_5608.JPGIMG_5609.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
That carbon looks excellent. I will keep that in mind for the future.
Hmmmmmm..... @HKMP7 🤩,
is this a hint of things to come? 🥳
Please say yes 😁

In the meantime....
it's time for USPS to deliver another happiness for me today 😇:

The Left Upper 998s FE fairing that I had been waiting for ... maybe 5 months? 🥴 :ROFLMAO:
With this part, that means I already have all the fairings I need for this project... well except the airbox because I returned the EVR airbox...
IMG_5611.JPG

Then... how about... the 999R original upper triple clamp (or some other like to call it "upper yoke") :love:.
I look at every available upper triple clamp that can fit 998 and the most beautiful one is this 999R, at least for me.
I also almost bought a used 998s Final Edition upper triple clamp (with the label on it of course), but the seller want to sell it together with the 998 Ohlins forks for $2k, so I pass...
IMG_5624.JPG

Now these are the Bolts for the Pankl Titanium Connecting Rods... I think they are also made of Titanium since 4 pieces cost me ... you guys can google the price from that part# 🥴
IMG_5623.JPG

Then... I always have a soft spot for magnesium colored parts from the older generation 916... so
I bought the light housing and the rear view mirror holder for 916 model... it is amazing that Ducati still have this parts brand new in their warehouse :cool::
IMG_5618.JPGIMG_5619.JPG
IMG_5620.JPGIMG_5621.JPG

Then....
I can't stand to look at tailight that do not look new... so I buy a new tail light too:
IMG_5617.JPG

Next. I buy the end cap for the handlebar... please note this end cap is not at the outer side because that will have a Motocorse vibration damper, this is for the inner side facing the center of the bike:
IMG_5616.JPG

Also the rear tail harness because the current one had been modified for rear turn signal hidden inside the tail fairing... but now I see how nice a brand new wiring harness is...
well... I think I will replace the entire wiring harness on the bike so it will all look the same (as in new) 🧐🤓😜
IMG_5612.JPG

Also, somehow, the previous owner of my bike decided to take out the rear brake switch... I don't know why, but I want it back:
IMG_5613.JPG

To be safe, a brand new throttle cable:
IMG_5622.JPG

And, I want to cover my bike to protect it from dust... initially I was thinking of using Ducati Performance universal bike cover... but then again... why not make it a bit more special...
so I buy the same cover for the Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916... so they both will have the same cover (no bike will be jealous with each other hahaha):
IMG_5614.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
The tool that I had been waiting for finally arrived from Ducati Omaha today 🤓
It's the special tool to take off the swing arm stud/axle to the frame/engine block.
Well, it is basically a precisely made giant CHISEL 🤪 .
I use the 30cm/12in ruler as comparison 🧐

IMG_5682.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I got an email on my inbox a few minutes ago... it was DHL saying my package delivered, and its already over 9pm...
I check my porch and there it is 🥳

Fresh from Germany, the Billet aluminum handle bars in 275mm length (stock is 250mm). But the reason I buy a new one is because the stock one have lot's of imperfection/blemishes from years of use.
I decided to buy longer one because I remember the original 916 was so stable but a bit too hard to turn, so the longer bar should provide just a bit more leverage, and flexibility in case I am adding something on the handlebar 😉 :

275mm length
IMG_5722.JPG

more like 18mm diameter where the handlebar weight side:
IMG_5723.JPG

More like 14mm at the inner side:
IMG_5724.JPG

Which means, for the inner side the Ducati official plug won't fit since it have 17mm diameter:
IMG_5725.JPG

This is what I am talking about the plug on the inner side:
IMG_5731.JPG

Oh, and this is the maximum depth for the handlebar weight before the tube become smaller in inner diameter (meaning thicker wall):
IMG_5732.JPG

And now compare to stock handlebar... yeah not a fair comparison in GORGEOUSNESS 😍:
IMG_5727.JPGIMG_5726.JPG

IMG_5728.JPGIMG_5730.JPG

This is a GREAT Evening 😉

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Ok, I am having a work out today... yes seriously, feel like as strong and as WORTHY as THOR 🤪
Here is why:

First, maneuver the bike into position :cool: and document it because regretfully, the marriage between the engine and the frame since 2002, 20 years ago about to be OVER, DIVORCED without PRENUP too today 🥴:
IMG_5748.JPG

I position the Ducati Special Tool, basically a custom made machined aluminum CHISEL, that I want to keep free of blemish that I wrap it with many many many layers of painters tape, and below it, the THOR 4lb bought at Amazon hammer ready to be pick to show I am WORTHY like THOR hahaha:
IMG_5750.JPG

Well, yes, I am worthy enough that I was able to pick up the hammer and start banging it on the Ducati fancy chisel, but it just won't bulge... so much for THOR strength 🤪, so time to pick up the heat gun and heating the area:
IMG_5751.JPG

Well that didn't work to despite so much more banging again, then some PB blaster might be needed to "lubricate":
IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5756.JPG

After more banging... it start to move a bit pheew...
IMG_5753.JPG

And finally, it BREAK FREE, YES :cool::
IMG_5757.JPG

Next I use this long socket wrench extension to push out the 2 long 250mm engine mounting bolt that hold the engine to the frame:
IMG_5758.JPG

And one more:
IMG_5759.JPG

My 2 sons working helping me steading the engine while I lover the engine jack down:
IMG_5760.JPG

And she finally down on the floor, OFFICIALLY DIVORCED 😇 with the frame:
IMG_5761.JPGIMG_5762.JPG

The frame is now single again:
IMG_5763.JPG

Move the engine to the cart ready for cleaning and then eBay she goes to find a new lover to marry again:
IMG_5765.JPG

In the meantime, the frame decided to ditch the heavy and burdensome old swing arm:
IMG_5767.JPGIMG_5768.JPG

And the swingarm is now on his/her own (depend on which gender you prefer to assign a swing arm)::ROFLMAO::
IMG_5769.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Oh forgot to mention, a new bling from Podium Racing arrived today. It's the pivot bolt for both gear and brake lever, Titanium of course:
IMG_5747.JPG

Then I proceed to clean the swing arm since someone already waiting to buy it to be put on a 998R. Yap, the swing arm is the lucky one, ditch by my old 2002 998 (base model) only to be taken by a 2002 998R model ;)
Congratulations my old swing arm and here he/she is cleaned and ready to be pack:
IMG_5771.JPGIMG_5772.JPG

IMG_5773.JPGIMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5775.JPGIMG_5776.JPG

IMG_5777.JPGIMG_5778.JPG

IMG_5779.JPGIMG_5781.JPG

IMG_5782.JPGIMG_5780.JPG

IMG_5783.JPGIMG_5784.JPG

IMG_5785.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I must say this is quite the project/build. So many gorgeous pieces. I'll enjoy watching this come together!
Thanks so much for your kind words DesmoAndrew 😃

Also, today, I spent most of my day cleaning the old 998 engine with my younger son:

Before:
IMG_5800.JPG

After:
IMG_5831.JPGIMG_5832.JPG

IMG_5808.JPGIMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5809.JPGIMG_5810.JPG

IMG_5815.JPGIMG_5816.JPG

IMG_5828.JPGIMG_5829.JPG

IMG_5826.JPGIMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5817.JPGIMG_5818.JPG

IMG_5822.JPGIMG_5823.JPG

IMG_5824.JPGIMG_5825.JPG

The engine is now ready for sale at $1,500 plus $300 shipping ;)
I hope I can sell it soon so I can use the funds for more upgrades 😇

BMW Alpina

Staff member
regarding those new clip on tubes, if you need someone with a lathe to turn a new ID for the OEM plug, let me know. Easy peasy job to do in my home shop.
Hello DesmoAndrew,
Wow, thank you so much for letting me know. I really appreciate it. 😃
I think I will need your kind help with your lathe in the near future. Thanks again from Howard

DesmoAndrew

BMW Alpina ... given that you are building a high output engine, a few things you might consider:

[1] Add a case saver to the front sprocket. It will fit under the sprocket cover and prevent a broken chain from ruining an engine. (did that once on a built 999 race bike)

[2] Consider having the crankshaft for the build fully inspected for cracks. And nitrided to improve surface hardness. (see pic below of a 1098 crank that broke while going down the back straight at Mid Ohio a few years ago; it was used as is from a donor engine - not one of my better decisions). All in addition to balancing and knife edging. I've used Ben Fox for this and have had good results with his cranks. I'm sure others can do similar services as well.

IMG_1991 copy.jpg

IMG_2002 copy.jpg

IMG_2003 copy.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
HI DesmoAndrew,
Thanks for sharing your experiences and the pictures above.
Tjat Carrillo rods looks very nice... I am now thinking of using those after looking at your pictures above.

I originally want to ask Ben Fox to balance my crankshaft, polish and knife edge it. However despite numerous attempt to contact him by multiple emails he never responded back to me.
Some people said, he is better to be reach by phone, but I rather communicate via email to make sure no misunderstanding.

I also had been in contact with Mark at Ducshop and also Brian at Boulder, and most likely I will ask Brian to perform the crankshaft balancing etc. plus head work.
Both Mark and Brian are well known for their works on this generation engine, however, Mark is in Georgia while Brian is in Colorado so closer to me in Northern California.
My plan now is to have Brian perform as many work to the engine as possible, and me and both my sons will try to assemble all the parts at home as part of family project.
However, if we think it is too difficult to get it right (especially since the cylinder wall now is very thin with the over bore), I might in the end just ask Brian to completely build the engine.

Once the engine is build, we will install it back on the bike at our home, then ship complete bike back to Brian for final dyno tuning of the Microtek M197 ECU.
That is the current plan... 😃