Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Weekend Update 🤩:

The CastleNut special tools arrived from UK a few days ago and I was pleasantly surprise that UK Post Office is now shipping very quickly like before COVID19:
IMG_6505.JPGIMG_6506.JPG

This tools enable me to take out that one remaining castle nut holding one of the Gear Pulley connected to the Camshaft.
This Tools made by Laser UK is so nice because it is stainless steel... and this time I decided not to use impact wrench but instead installing back the whole cylinder head to the crankcase to provide leverage:
IMG_6512.JPGIMG_6513.JPG

Unfortunately the regular wrench does not have enough leverage so I use breaker bar and it made it much easier:
IMG_6514.JPG

Also dediced to take out the original spark plug:
IMG_6516.JPGIMG_6518.JPG

Then I took of the 2 belt tensioner rollers with breaker bar too:
IMG_6519.JPG

Once the roller out, time to take out the shafts of these tensioner roller using special socket too:

IMG_6521.JPGIMG_6522.JPG

Then I ask my son to take out the 11 or so bolts holding the right side cylinder head cover, I am also amaze and so happy that he actually knew a lot about how engine work before we started this project because he did his own research on the internet proactively 😊
IMG_6523.JPGIMG_6525.JPG

This is how the 2 cylinder heads now look without any roller, no pulley and no cover, oh, the cylinder block cover both left and right had been taken off too:
IMG_6526.JPG

Then using another special tools I took out the layshaft pulley nut:
IMG_6527.JPG

After that I took out one of the hex socket M6 bolt that hold the Desmo Valve mechanism deep inside the cylinder head and use my iPhone to zoom in so I can see the grade of the bolt (yap my eyes is old so I cannot see small writing on the bolt head) 🧐😂.
I am glad that it is only grade 8.8 so the ProTi Titanium Forged M6 bolt that is equivalent to Grade 10.9 will be stronger than this original bolt.
Yes, I will try to replace every single bolt inside this engine to it's Titanium Equivalent:
IMG_6528.JPG

On this picture, you can see where those Hex Socket M6 bolt is located (deep inside):
IMG_6532.JPG

I also purchase many special bolt/stud made of Titanium either from K-Bike Italy or IM Manufacktur, Germany. One of those special double stud is the one holding the center position of the head cover.
It is hard to take out using normal double nut method, so I use this locking plier:
IMG_6529.JPG

Left picture show all the BLACK color stock steel bolt/stud, and right picture show after they were REPLACE with the TITANIUM version, and the Titanium of course looks so much nicer:
IMG_6530.JPGIMG_6531.JPG

However, for this 2 Titanium Hex Bolt, I found out that I can find their ProTi equivalent so I will replace this Titanium Hex Bolt from IM-Manufaktur with ProTi version soon.
I wasn't sure about the shape of this bolt before, so that is why I bought from IM-Manufaktur, but now I have them in my hand, I can measure that the ProTi have the same dimensions of this bolt and since ProTi is FORGED, it will be even stronger (and 1mm thinner on the head):
IMG_6532.JPG

I want to continue with SPLITTING the Crankcase to extract the CrankShaft, however ... turn out I still need to buy even more Special Tools so hopefully I can do it in about 2 weeks from today 😎

zfrilly

I just started a ground up build of a 1999 996SPS. I am doing much the same as you with swapping ALL bolts to titanium and anything I can in carbon, not sticking to original as much as you. I found this site while doing research and joined. You are doing an amazing job! I will get a thread started on my build soon.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi @zfrilly ,
Thank you so much for choosing our forum and we all can't wait to learn from your build thread. I know it will be SPECIAL, it is after all an SPS 🤩 (y)
By the way, do you noticed that when you posted your first post above, the time (clock) is 916? :love:
It's a good sign 🥳

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I like the Rizoma Corsa Turn Signal on my Panigale V4S project so I decided to use the same turn signal for this 998 project.
The issue is the mounting point for the 998 is on the air intake channel (from front fairing to airbox).
So I bought many different Rizoma turn signal adapter since I was unsure which one fits.
Turn out the Ducati Scramble adapter fit perfectly so I am looking forward to install it...
in the meantime I am sending these Rizoma turn signal adapter for Ducati Scrambler to Cerakote for Bronze coating :cool:
IMG_6480.JPGIMG_6481.JPG

IMG_6482.JPGIMG_6483.JPGIMG_6484.JPG

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
My first update for this BUILD Thread ;)
I am sure the senior members of our forum especially @HKMP7 catch my drift with the word "BUILD" 😇

So, today an OLD NOS (New Old Stock) part from ancient eras of the mid 1990's made Ducati Performance arrived from Italy.
It's just a simple, low cost, small parts, but nevertheless it is the first part that arrive out of the several UPGRADE parts that I order 😌:

View attachment 5560

This is the Aluminum cover for the turn signal mounting hole of the Ducati 916 / 996 / 998. In case I decided to not use the original turn signal 😎
Look at the embossed Ducati Performance Logo on the part it self... that is so ancient 🤪 but so original 🤩

Hopefully more parts coming soon...

H
I get the "build" good on you..Cheers B

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Another important parts arrived today 🤩

The Euro Version of the 998s (including the Final Edition) has the deep sump engine with much higher horsepower compare to the US version. They also come with 50mm manifold/header while the US version is the smaller 45mm manifold header.
So, I decided to purchase a set of 50mm manifold/header of the EU version and just arrived today. However, I don't think I will be using this 50mm header/manifold anymore because I plan to BIG BORE the engine so I will need at least the 54mm manifold/header ;)
Well, I can always use this 50mm manifold/header as a template to custom made a 54mm manifold/header. Why custom made? Well because it is so hard to find any 54mm Termignoni full system manifold/header now since not too many system sold with 54mm (around 20 years ago) 😅
So my best bet is to custom made then to wait and wait and wait until someone sell their 54mm manifold/header.

I also check with some other exhaust manufacturer like SilMotor who currently still making a brand new 54mm full system exhaust, however, their pipe bend angle is not the same as my Termignoni 54mm silencers so they are not compatible...

but... if anyone reading this has a 54mm Termignoni manifold/headers that they want to sell, please let me know 😀

Here are the pictures:
View attachment 5618View attachment 5619

Here how they look assembled:
View attachment 5620

and I check their diameter at each joint just to make sure they are really 50mm 😁:
View attachment 5621View attachment 5622
View attachment 5623View attachment 5624

The manifold:
View attachment 5625

Last, the Amazon exhaust tubing flaring tools also arrived today:
View attachment 5626

And I assume you will have those headers made in Ti :)

PanigalePilot

Staff member
More parts arrived today 😁:

Titanium DZUS Fasteners by Podium Racing, 14pcs kit to replace the stock zinc plate fasteners:
View attachment 5680 View attachment 5681

The Billet Aluminum Fuel Pump Nut to replace the stock plastic version:
View attachment 5682

A New Old Stock part from Ducati to lock helmet 😎, yes this part might look non important, but I want to have everything that came with the bike when it is new and this part is no longer available (no longer in production) from Ducati.
I am quite lucky to stumble on it. This will be used on the upgraded rear subframe lower cover in Carbon Fiber from 998R (you know the Superleggera version of the 998 long long time ago ;)):
View attachment 5683
H
Time to get your polishing skills up to date. It will come up so pretty. Removing the hinged arm will make the job easier to get inside, but get a better result.

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Well, I wish it's a Ferrari from Maranello, however, for the time being, I am happy with a BRAND NEW DEEP SUMP Crankcase for Ducati 2005/2006 999S engine 😍😘🥰:

As usual, my puppy need to inspect the box to make sure everything is good and NO CONTRABAND 😉:
View attachment 5873

Then, after he give me the "Everything CLEARED", I proceed to open the box, yes, even the box is still the original box from Ducati Ricambi :cool::
View attachment 5874

Inside the box still wrapped and one more inspection just to be sure 🤣:
View attachment 5875View attachment 5876

Took it out of the box, and well more Puppy Inspections:
View attachment 5877View attachment 5878

And please pay attention to my finger on the 2 pictures below, because that is what DEEP SUMP engine looks like. All European 998S, 996R, 998R plus 999S/R and 2005 and above base 999 has the DEEP SUMP crankcase.
However, the US version of 998S including Bayliss/Bostrom and Final Edition all have Shallow Sump Crankcase. That is why I really want this DEEP SUMP Crankcase, and luckily someone in Maranello still have 1 last one.
View attachment 5879View attachment 5880

Some more pictures, sneak peak inside the crankcase:
View attachment 5881View attachment 5882

I actually also purchase a COMPLETE 2005 Ducati 999S engine SEPARATELY. It is a used engine with only about 2,000 miles on it and its still on the way to my house.
However, despite the low mileage, it is still a slightly used engine, and most likely the crankcase will never look as new as well a BRAND NEW crankcase 🤪
That is why I purchase this Brand New Crankcase just to make my engine looks NEW and have all the new bearings in it.

Beside, the upper cylinder block and head will be bored out and port flow, so those slightly used cylinder block and head will be brand new again after the bore out and port flow.
The Crankshaft will also be lightened with the Pankl Titanium Con-Ron worked to make them like new spec.
In summary after all this parts combined, I will have a brand new engine minus slightly used S/R Camshaft and gearboxes. But that is ok since those camshaft and gearbox barely wear anyway.

Hopefully later today, some of the used engine will arrive too and I will update as soon as they arrive 😃
Looks like I have missed a lot of great new stuff. So cool you find this piece.

PanigalePilot

Staff member
View attachment 6226View attachment 6223

View attachment 6224View attachment 6225

View attachment 6227View attachment 6228

Then more SPECIAL Titanium M17 x 1 Ducati Corse Camshaft Pulley Nut:
View attachment 6229View attachment 6230

Finally, a brand new old stock Ducati 2003 World Dealer Guide and Ducati 999 upper triple clamp locking attachment:
View attachment 6231View attachment 6232
Picked up my brand new 748RS swing arm from Sagisi Custom Cerakote Shop today 🥳,

now cerakoted in Glacier Gold, and so happy with the result:
View attachment 7375View attachment 7376

Even my Labrador Puppy is happy and want to pose together :ROFLMAO::
View attachment 7377

Compare to the ahem "stock" swing arm:
View attachment 7378View attachment 7379

View attachment 7380
H,
Love the way you get the "family" (a highly trained Lab pup posing for pics) involved and do it all in the middle of your house. Fantastic. I have had COVID now for 10 eight days and still no sign of letting up. After spending hours reading this thread last night. I looked forward to having a look this morning. It is Easter Sunday morning here. I realise now I have missed a lot on this forum over the past 18 months. Being at home in isolation have given me a chance to catch up. What a great thread and project. Congrats H.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
H,
Love the way you get the "family" involved and do it all in the middle of your house. Fantastic. I have had COVID now for 10 eight days and still no sign of letting up. After spending hours reading this thread last night. I looked forward to having a look this morning. It is Easter Sunday morning here. I realise now I have missed a lot on this forum over the past 18 months. Being at home in isolation have given me a chance to catch up. What a great thread and project. Congrats H.
Thanks so much PanigalePilot ,
I am currently behind schedule on both bikes project though, like you were this past 18 months, I am now have a heavy load of works from office, which means things are going well at the office, but that also means less time for Ducati 🤪

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Next, I took out that front wheel off the bike:
View attachment 7406View attachment 7407

Add central jack under the engine to help and make sure it is stable:
View attachment 7408

Took out the front rotor from the wheel so I can sell those Brembo Original Disk Brakes:
View attachment 7409View attachment 7410

Then install the wheel back on the bike for now so I can still roll the bike:
View attachment 7411View attachment 7412

Then I took a lot of pictures on where the tie-lock and rubber tie for the main harness just so I remember how it was routed before I took it out:
View attachment 7413

And here now how the bike look without wire harness:
View attachment 7414View attachment 7415

View attachment 7416View attachment 7417

View attachment 7418View attachment 7419

This is how my SUPERLEGGERA modification looks like hahaha VERY LIGHT 🤪🤣
On a serious note, the older generation Ducati is so simple in design... unlike the current generation, I mean just take a look at those frames, engine and suspension setup.

I also spent this weekend to measure many bolts and ordered their ProTi Titanium equivalent, but I still have so many bolts left un measured...
I also need to wait until the Ducati Special Tools to remove the swingarm stud so I can take out the swingarm and the engine at the same time..
Exactly H they are nice and simple which is attractive. My 1978 SSD Darmah is another generation of simplicity before the 916 family. It is so much fun to work on these older machines. Looking great.

PanigalePilot

Staff member
The brake line cover (on the swing arm) has not changed in all those years, same style as on my 1199. I would have not known as I do not know much about the 916/999 generation. Very educational. Great to see you are getting some money back by selling the parts you do not need. I so wish that Ducati Factory still had new parts on the shelf for my SSD Darmah. :)

1650160285613.png

PanigalePilot

Staff member
This picture clearly show the extra headlight switch on the 916 and brand new 998 switch compare to the BLANKED US 998 switch on the left:
View attachment 8105

More comparison between the 916 and new 998 switch... notice the lettering/symbol is very different (oh, I also cleaned them very well today):
View attachment 8106View attachment 8107

Ok, will do some more works tonight and hopefully I can get further update post here soon 🥳

I recall in an earlier post you liked the word "Horn". IMHO is looks a little better too. You could put either on and it would look great. On my SSD because it has Nippon Denso elections I was about to buy a Suzuki GT500 left shift block which was almost identical to the one on the Darmah. There was only one pin position difference which I worked out after much trial and error.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Yes, the Horn look more "classic" and "retro" :cool:,
By the way, I forgot to post this pictures of the original rear subframe refinished with Cerakote Glacier Silver, it looks almost the same as the original silver paints from Ducati factory but hopefully more durable than the original paint, not that it is going to see much of outside weather but... just in case ;):
IMG_6341.JPGIMG_6342.JPG
IMG_6343.JPG

I am now still thinking of which color is best for the original front main trellis frame. The original factory color below is Grey, which is nice, but I think it is kinda boring... so initially I think I will go with the glossy gold of the 2019 Monster 25° Anniversario,
IMG_6344.JPG

however I cannot find the paint code for the 2019 Monster 25° Anniversario, luckily I think it is the same as 1098S Tricolore :love::

I don't want to go with the original matte gold on the 916 and early 996 because I think the matte gold will make the 998 looks too old and tired... but the glossy gold should be retro yet fresh looks ;)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I am now super busy at the office since there is so much new business coming from the trade show last week, plus we will have an even larger trade show coming soon... so I am really struggling to keep up with business and these 2 Ducati projects...
but hopefully this weekend, I make some progress...

Well, lets start with this MS Production Carbon Fiber heat guards that have the bolt spacing suitable for the Motocorse Titanium 60.5mm Exhaust and arrived a few days ago:
IMG_6623.HEIC.jpgIMG_6624.HEIC.jpg

I decided to purchase the "RS" version which is shorter than the street version because I think the much larger diameter of the Motocorse 60.5mm exhaust combined with the Motocorse 1198 rear set will create a spacing problem with the regular street and longer heat guard version.
And below, test fitted on the Motocorse exhaust:
IMG_6625.HEIC.jpgIMG_6626.HEIC.jpg

I also decided to purchase the MS Production rear set heat guard too because, it will not add much to the shipping cost from Italy. I already have the Corsa garage version, but that yellow MS Production logo on the back of the Carbon Fiber, just too hard to resist for me 🤪:
IMG_6627.jpgIMG_6628.jpg

Also, more parts arrived, the cylinder head studs and notice the 999 coil and plug integrated which is an upgrade and better than the 998 original separate coil and plug:
IMG_6637.jpg

I also received my second Cylinder Head Magnesium Cover and also all ENGINE Side Covers. Now, the engine side covers supposed to came in Dark Grey color since they are for 999, but funny thing was, one of them came in the Gold Magnesium Color (which the color I want all of them to be after send them to the pain shop).

IMG_6639.jpgIMG_6640.jpg

I also pick up the cerakoted part in Burnt Bronze color and I compare them to the Ducati Magnesium Gold Color:
IMG_6641.jpgIMG_6642.JPG

hmmmm.... I think for all the Cylinder Head cover, Cylinder Side Cover and also the Clutch/Generator cover, I will stick with the Ducati original Gold Magnesium Color instead of cerakoting them...

Ok, now it's time to move to work on taking out the crankshaft from the crankcase and I will update later

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Ok, so the first thing I want to take out today was the primary gear, and I was planning to use the tool from LASER Tool UK, however... turn out the locking washer did not allow the 3 dowels on the tool to hold the primary gear:
IMG_6643.JPG

So, I decided to hold it using the flywheel holder tools from HDESA, unfortunately the special bolt that came with the tool was too long and I can't lock the tool because it hit the edge of the crankcase:
IMG_6646.JPG

I look at the picture of the eBay of HDESA tool and it looks like they sent me the bolt that is too long:
IMG_6644.JPGIMG_6645.JPG

But once I contacted HDESA tool via their eBay store, he get back to me saying that he only have 1 size bolt... , quite a disappointment hearing that kind of answer without any offer to solve the problem...
well... I guess I need to tamp down my expectation since this is not DUCATI factory tool so...
So, I decided to find the solution myself and I did by grinding the bolt about 2 to 3mm... which I did and I made the tool work:
IMG_6648.JPG

Locking the flywheel also mean it look the primary gear and using 32mm socket tool:
IMG_6650.JPG

I tried to take out the nut using a breaker bar, but it stuck and since engine was on the ground,
and nothing holding the engine, so the breaker bar was not easy to be controlled... then I decided to just use impact wrench, and it make it so much easier:
IMG_6652.JPG

IMG_6653.JPG

Next step is taking out the nut that hold the generator/flywheel:
IMG_6649.JPGIMG_6654.JPG

And of it go:
IMG_6658.JPGIMG_6659.JPG

and then took of the roller bearing behind it:
IMG_6662.JPG

Will continue tomorrow 😃

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I spent almost the whole day today... starting with, .. installing back the right side timing belt pulley (lower double pulley) so I can lock it using the tool to remove the left side timing gear behind the water pump.

So first put back the "woodroof key", then flattened the locking washer on the left side timing gears:
IMG_6663.JPGIMG_6664.JPG

Use the tool to lock the right double pulley and then remove the nut on the left side timing gear:
IMG_6666.JPGIMG_6667.JPG

Renove the left side timing gear and gently Tap the shaft with rubber mallet:
IMG_6668.JPG

then remove the starter gear:
IMG_6669.JPGIMG_6670.JPG

IMG_6671.JPGIMG_6672.JPG

Next remove the sprocket gear and spacer:
IMG_6674.JPGIMG_6676.JPG

Then remove the cylinder heads:
IMG_6677.JPG

Remove the gear shift mechanism:
IMG_6680.JPGIMG_6682.JPG

Then remove all the bolts holding both side of crankcase together:
IMG_6681.JPG

Install the generator cover back so I can use it combined with special tools to push the crankshaft and split the crankcase:
IMG_6683.JPGIMG_6684.JPG

Spin the special tools and right away the crankcase start splitting and become larger (the gap) and larger:
IMG_6686.JPGIMG_6687.JPG

IMG_6688.JPGIMG_6689.JPG

Continue on the next post below