Panigale V4S Unica - From Start To Finish

topolino

On the home straight at last. Main fairings, nose cone, tank and seat unit fitted. What an utter PIA it was to get the side fairings on without the small tank grommets and rear mid-fairing grommets engaging on the pins without them popping out. Must have tried about ten times before I finally got them to go on correctly. Next up is the battery cover panel and lowers. I have both a split lower fairing and a one piece painted bellypan. The latter will get fitted after the bike's first service/oil change. Once it's all back together it's going off to get the paint correction done (any minor swirl marks and flaws removed), then an Xpel film kit fitted. Lastly the Media module needs to be activated, Akra map and any software updates installed and an MOT (despite the fact it's never been ridden and has only 12 PDI miles on the clock). As promised I will upload a video and pics as soon as I get some free time, which is not something I am blessed with right now, so please bear with me.

topolino

Project V4S Unica.........................................................................is complete!! (save for the PPF film, some software updates, MM module activation and an MOT). Pictures and video to follow as soon as I can get some free time to piece something together. I'm well chuffed with how it's turned out after three looooooong years in the making. It's been a labour of love and definitely a journey I might actually think twice about repeating, given the time and effort involved but I've learnt a lot along the way and appreciated the design and technology that goes into producing a modern day superbike, given the sheer complexity of the build.

topolino

Sorry one and all, work and family bereavements have seriously swallowed up most of my time. However there is a light at the end of my build project tunnel and it's inching very very close to completion now. In the meantime, here is a sneak preview. I've set aside some time this week to take some pictures and compile a video which will follow on later.

sneak-preview.jpg

topolino

Right then, here it is. Once again apologies for the protracted wait, but you know the story by now. Incidentally this is my first foray into using a GoPro so don't expect a Blockbuster! This is very much a case of me dipping my toe into video production. By the way hopefully by the time you see this, Youtube will have processed the HD and 4K version but if not it's still of an OK quality, albeit bar the shaky camera. I will post up all the high res images tomorrow. Enough hot air from me. Here is the link.......

topolino

This is the current two-piece belly pan set up. This picture was taken before I had the lower fairings resprayed again to move the "Ducati Performance" logo further down to the vertical mid-point, as on the one piece bellypan.

20210819_212425 (1).jpg

This is the one piece version. I have only to fit the foil heat lining and the fittings and it's ready to bolt on. It will be fitted after the first service.

20220623_140808[14013] (1).jpg

20220623_140753[14012] (1).jpg

20220623_140759[14014] (1).jpg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Tank and battery cover fitted for alignment checks by the painter, before they go back to the shop tomorrow for final paintwork to be done. I temporarily fitted the OEM upper side fairings to aid alignment. Incidentally these are for sale if anyone is interested, brand new. One small blemish on right hand side fairing (about 2mm across near Panigale logo), picked up during the house move two years ago but otherwise flawless.

View attachment 9285
The Ducabike Black Anodized Triple Clamp (Yoke) really match well with the Glossy Carbon Fiber Ignition Key cover :love:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
So many GORGEOUS pictures @topolino
I actually confuse on which picture is better because all of them are GREAT !
Your color choices really marry both modern and classic Ducati. Love it 🥰

topolino

So many GORGEOUS pictures @topolino
I actually confuse on which picture is better because all of them are GREAT !
Your color choices really marry both modern and classic Ducati. Love it 🥰
Thanks. I've always had a soft spot for the SPS colour scheme and magnesium coloured frames of the older bikes. I have a couple of other build threads I completed some time ago, on the 1199SPS and Monster 620ie, which I wil post up when time allows.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Congratulations to @topolino and his artistic custom creation for being selected as July 2022 Bike of The Month of DUCATImodified 🥳 direct link here: DUCATI modified Forum

topolino really made my life difficult o_O because there are so many awesome pictures in his build thread that make me have to think hard before selecting one picture that hopefully represent and show his effort the most 🤩 (y)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and journey topolino 😃

topolino

Congratulations to @topolino and his artistic custom creation for being selected as July 2022 Bike of The Month of DUCATImodified 🥳 direct link here: DUCATI modified Forum

topolino really made my life difficult o_O because there are so many awesome pictures in his build thread that make me have to think hard before selecting one picture that hopefully represent and show his effort the most 🤩 (y)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and journey topolino 😃
Thanks Howard. Looking forward to seeing which one you choose!

topolino

The last of the carbon parts to go on the bike. Been on back order for a long while now and then had them clear coated (as you will have gathered I am not a fan of matte carbon fibre)

20220701_112244.jpg

20220701_112609.jpg

20220701_112701.jpg

The kit comes with no instructions, not that your really need any, but did manage to get hold of the correct PDF file from the dealer, which shows you where to place the rubber dampers that come with the air ducts. Four are supplied, but you only need two (one per duct). I played around with the position until I got it spot on, then mirrored that across to the other side, with the use of masking tape and some measurements.

20220701_172008.jpg

20220701_172843.jpg

Five mins to fit. As per the workshop manual, set a step of 2Nm then 1-2-1 up to 45Nm for the caliper bolts.

20220701_175503.jpg

20220701_175423.jpg

20220701_175452.jpg

topolino

Inbound in the next month or so, in an effort to clean up the stock rear brake reservoir area on the bike, are these two billet aluminium goodies from Moto Corse. I've ordered a red cap (in addition) to the stock black reservoir, as I can't decide which set up I prefer. I photoshopped the image below to show the alternate colour cap. The second image shows the hose guide which will eliminate the plastic OEM part. Fullsix make one in carbon but the quality of it is quite poor. The last image shows the reservoir in position on Moto Corse's bike.

reservoirs.jpg

Image1.jpg

silver reservoir.jpg

Apuca

Inbound in the next month or so, in an effort to clean up the stock rear brake reservoir area on the bike, are these two billet aluminium goodies from Moto Corse. I've ordered a red cap (in addition) to the stock black reservoir, as I can't decide which set up I prefer. I photoshopped the image below to show the alternate colour cap. The second image shows the hose guide which will eliminate the plastic OEM part. Fullsix make one in carbon but the quality of it is quite poor. The last image shows the reservoir in position on Moto Corse's bike.

View attachment 9364

View attachment 9365

View attachment 9366
Might be just me, but I find Fullsix quality overall is not the greatest.

topolino

Might be just me, but I find Fullsix quality overall is not the greatest.
It is a bit hit and miss with Fullsix. Less so with Ilmberger. Even Ducati Performance can be a little poor sometimes (particularly fitment). As I have mentioned many times in this thread, Lieb Speed carbon is unquestionably THE best carbon fibre you can buy. It is beautifully made, incredibly acccurate compared to the OEM part it replaces and oozes quality. It fits perfectly everytime and I have yet to find a better manufacturer in the past ten years.

Apuca

It is a bit hit and miss with Fullsix. Less so with Ilmberger. Even Ducati Performance can be a little poor sometimes (particularly fitment). As I have mentioned many times in this thread, Lieb Speed carbon is unquestionably THE best carbon fibre you can buy. It is beautifully made, incredibly acccurate compared to the OEM part it replaces and oozes quality. It fits perfectly everytime and I have yet to find a better manufacturer in the past ten years.
Completely agree with Lieb being the best. Finish and fit, incredible. Also, Peter is top notch costumer service.