My little build

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
@BMW Alpina if it wasn’t for your pioneering post of taking the whole bike apart it probably would have taken longer. I only stripped one screw which is an amazing feat considering Ducati must have had a who can put more locktite on a screw competition when building these bikes 😂
🤣
Yes they are crazy tight... and maybe their torque wrench is "calibrated differently" 😅

MaverickiB

I wound up using the samco clamp kit
Before you seal everything up (unless I'm too late) try to set the hose clamps so they are vaguely accessible from the side once everything is reassembled. Will make fixing any potential leaks significantly easier. I did it just in case and turns out one wasn't quite tight enough, but my foresight allowed me to tighten it without disassembling anything thankfully.

Brooklynv4

I did already for the hoses that are accessible from the side of the bike. I just have to pray the ones under the air box don’t leak. Fingers crossed when I get her back together she actually starts 😂

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hopefully 2022 will be a better year for all of us, bring a lot of happiness (especially from the satisfaction of your MODIFIED Ducati), and of course much more prosperity (so we all can finance our "Ducati activity") 🥳

Brooklynv4

Started putting her back together today. I eliminated the whole purge system and plugged the holes up with screws I ordered from Accu. I ordered a bunch for everything airbox related as the stock ones are soft like slice bread lol. I must say putting everything back together feels like it goes faster

Brooklynv4

That screw next to the black coolant line is where the purge hose was there are four of them obviously I just used this pick for example.

Brooklynv4

Also should I do the spark plugs while I have everything apart I’m not sure how many miles I’m supposed change them out at. Also is there a better plug than stock that I can use

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Also should I do the spark plugs while I have everything apart I’m not sure how many miles I’m supposed change them out at. Also is there a better plug than stock that I can use
Spark plug nowadays is more about the heat rating so unless you are really going to the extreme high rpm all the time, the current spark plug should be good enough for occasional track days and road use while preventing the plug from fouling to easily from road use.
Also make it easy to start on cold days.

MaverickiB

If I recall correctly, the OEM plugs are already very high performance plugs. They are sufficient for everything, including racing, until *maybe* when you start doing massive top end work like on Corse SBK motors.

Just make sure, if you're gonna buy new plugs, to buy them from the manufacturer and not Ducati. Ducati marks them up considerably, almost 100 percent markup.

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
As mentioned above, the plugs are $30-40 at all the usual Ducati places but only $16 directly from NGK(plus ordering direct assures it's not counterfeit) As far as "better plug", you MIGHT be able to find iridium but that's not necessarily 'better', they just last longer. I would pull one of the ugs and look at the center electrode. If it still has a crisp sharp edge then run it. If it has become blunt then I would get new. Sorry, I didn't see howmany miles you have on the bike so I was doing a blanket statement. The center copper electrode will melt and erode over it's life creating more and more of a spark if gap.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
+1 on all the things said. Mainly the factory ones are chosen to work in all kinds of conditions and types of riding. I think those will be suitable for a majority of owners.
On my race bike the plugs would foul leaving the pits. I would need to take a lap to "clean" them off. Pain in the butt so I wont be changing the type of plug I use in this bike.

Brooklynv4

Thanks for the feed back guys I’ll check the plugs over the weekend if I have to change them I’ll stay with stock plugs. Was just curious is all