Jrkk's budget build V4 base

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
That is a very bright turn signal and much safer too.
Again, it shows that your persistence and determination to find solutions paid off with success 🤩 :love:

Jrkk

Me and my v4s friend have same problem. Fuel line is poorly sealed where it enters to airbox.
I'm referring to this:
Screenshot_20220125-200520_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

There seems to be some kind of rubber slice, but it won't do what supposed to. You can move fuel line easily about 5mm and also little bit up/down.
I searched all of your pictures and of course service manual. But it's not clear to me how it supposed to be. Are your line tigh fit in there or are they wobbling like mine.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Me and my v4s friend have same problem. Fuel line is poorly sealed where it enters to airbox.
I'm referring to this:
View attachment 7354

There seems to be some kind of rubber slice, but it won't do what supposed to. You can move fuel line easily about 5mm and also little bit up/down.
I searched all of your pictures and of course service manual. But it's not clear to me how it supposed to be. Are your line tigh fit in there or are they wobbling like mine.
Hello Jrkk
yes, there is supposed to be a line of rubber gasket surrounding that pipe to seal it, however, I am not sure whether my line was tight or have a bit of play.
But I don't think it will matter that much since that airbox was not designed to be fully leak proof anyway.
If you worry about the fuel line wobble, then it's best to just tie lock that fuel line somewhere to prevent it from moving too much.

Jrkk

Ok, thanks. My friend was worried about dust sealing. He has some oil broblems, crankcase is breathing oil back to airbox and that fuel line was oily. So he then noticed how loose that seal was.

Jrkk

Last winter we all 4 got Arrow exhausts and two of these are broken already. One season, less than 5000km.
Perforated inner tube has torn, mine from left side, 4vs friend from right side. Tube is very thin titanium. We replaced it with thicker stainless tube.
Ebay seller didn't respond to us nor than Arrow.

Mine has something to do with db-killer, it's secured with big circlip which allow killer to rotate, killer has 30 degree bend, so if it rotates to wrong position, it can hit the wall of perforated tube.
20210816_231828.jpg
But this is just bad quality.
IMG-20210816-WA0004.jpg

Little force was needed to detach inner tube from outer cone, cos it was welded to outer cone.
IMG-20211229-WA0002.jpeg

It was pain to remove.
IMG-20211229-WA0010.jpeg
Then new stainless tube needed to tapered slightly.
IMG-20211229-WA0018.jpeg
And welded to end cap, so I can easily replace baffling afterwards.
20220112_105819.jpg

New acousta-fill boa stuff that swells a bit, is easy to wrap around perforated tube.
20220112_104406.jpg

And little polish to carbon parts, cos all my other carbon parts are glossy. Here lower is polished.
Closing with gas tight stainless rivets of course (not in the pic).

20220111_145048.jpg

Jrkk

Before this, we were trying to figure how to secure left silencer better. Arrow left bracket is too long and it bend and vibrates a lot.
So we welded another spring hook to opposed side from original spring.
Those thicker are titanium to silencer.
IMG-20211229-WA0000.jpegIMG-20220114-WA0002.jpgIMG-20220114-WA0001.jpg

But this doesn't do anything to vibrating bracket, so I made some additional bracket for us.

20220118_115945.jpg

20220118_103133.jpg
20220119_102359.jpg

Now it's tight and firm.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Jrkk,
Amazing creativity and fabricating skills as always :love:
By the way, may I know where did you purchase the TITANIUM spring hook? I will need it for my 998 project very soon. Please kindly help advise, Thanks from Howard

Jrkk

Next I was going to install that small superleggera abs pump bracket. Thank you Howard for helping me finding it.
But when I removed my fairings I noticed heavy oil leak from front cylinder valve covers. So it's time to check valve clearances. Also both front coil security bolts were missing.
I removed all parts around front cylinder and now I'm waiting seals to arrive. I may start to look at those valves tough.
20220208_200158.jpg

Brooklynv4

Ok, thanks. My friend was worried about dust sealing. He has some oil broblems, crankcase is breathing oil back to airbox and that fuel line was oily. So he then noticed how loose that seal was.
Just went through the same dilema putting my airbox back together I left it as is line has a little play in it. I kept trying to get a tight seal where it didn’t move and wasn’t successful.

Jrkk

Did you try to add some extra rubber or how did you try to make it better. Some kind of thin rubber sheet may work.

Jrkk

Small update.
These motors also eat valve collets. There is no MBP or anything better quality.

20220221_011205.jpg
And while clearances wasn't tight, cams are having hard time with heat.

20220219_021713.jpg

All opening lobes have those blueish marks. Rockers are fine

Made some excel cos I'm nerd 🤓.
20220221_011257.jpg

Hra

Are those collets broken? I remember on my previous bike (1299) only once i had a broken half ring, i did 5 desmo services on that motor and it was only once. I have about 11k miles on my V4 and will be ready to get it done this summer.