HKMP7's V4S Journal

Apuca

So, where to begin :). I am swapping out the front and rear frames for the SL4 carbon frames. I am assuming this alone will not get me down to this weight. The rotors seem to be the big difference as I have carbon wheels already. Perhaps the dry clutch too? Did that as well as well as carbon fairings.. where else do you recommend I try to lose some more weight?

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
So, where to begin :). I am swapping out the front and rear frames for the SL4 carbon frames. I am assuming this alone will not get me down to this weight. The rotors seem to be the big difference as I have carbon wheels already. Perhaps the dry clutch too? Did that as well as well as carbon fairings.. where else do you recommend I try to lose some more weight?
The SLV4 frame and swingarm will get you to the 400 range.
Rotors and axles for sure.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Apuca
I am sure everyone here (including those "lurking guest visitors") can't wait to learn from your Superleggera V4 conversion Build Thread (y) 🤩

Apuca

View attachment 8042
Starting to do some more modification to the V4R haven't touched it for a while so starting to finish off some of the small things, this is a heatsink i machined for the gear position indicator that constantly overheats.View attachment 8043
Fancy and nicely engineered. Are you anticipating the gills will increase surface area for heat dispersion, ventilation for air or both. I’d be interested if this makes improvements. If it does would you produce a few for this forum🙏

Bruce Wayne

Fancy and nicely engineered. Are you anticipating the gills will increase surface area for heat dispersion, ventilation for air or both. I’d be interested if this makes improvements. If it does would you produce a few for this forum🙏
Both, but I'm also fabricating a Naca Duct to mount on the fairing to direct air across it, i thought about mounting a small fan on top like a CPU because there's a lot of latent heat when bike comes off the track but will see how this goes.

Apuca

Both, but I'm also fabricating a Naca Duct to mount on the fairing to direct air across it, i thought about mounting a small fan on top like a CPU because there's a lot of latent heat when bike comes off the track but will see how this goes.
Cool. I figured that would be needed. Really keen to see how this turns out. Keep us updated

Apuca

"Bedding-In"
I need to get the rotors and pads bedded-in. Since I don't have any track events coming up I will have to bed them in on the street. Sketchy af lol. I loaded up my backpack with a pump sprayer more on that later. I decided early in the morning would be the best time since there will be less traffic and no 👮‍♂️. To my dismay there were 👮‍♂️👮‍♀️ everywhere lol. So in between my sightings I would bed the brakes. After the 10 stops from 50 mph which were easy I started on to the 100 mph stops. I now have somewhat of a lever and the bike stops decent. The initial bite isn't like the Braketech Iron rotors but these ramp up like crazy. During the 100 mph stop the ABS would activate which I've never felt on this bike. Its not unsettling like other ABS systems it was a slight nudge on the lever as oppose to it fighting you. I let the brakes cool down and now we are in the home stretch. 2 more 100 mph stops then I ended up at the gas station here's were the pump sprayer comes into play. I go inside and purchase a large Fiji water I filled my sprayer with half and I drank the rest. Sprayed down the brakes to cool them off. Only the best hydration for the Sicoms lol. I could only imagine what the people at the gas station were thinking wtf 🤨.

Now that the brakes are good to go they feel great I've put about 100 miles or so on them and they stop stop.
I'm ready to out brake Toprak Razgatlıoğlu into turn 1 at Jerez 🤪🥴. I will put more miles on them and do a proper review. Initial thoughts are positive.
"Bedding-In"
I need to get the rotors and pads bedded-in. Since I don't have any track events coming up I will have to bed them in on the street. Sketchy af lol. I loaded up my backpack with a pump sprayer more on that later. I decided early in the morning would be the best time since there will be less traffic and no 👮‍♂️. To my dismay there were 👮‍♂️👮‍♀️ everywhere lol. So in between my sightings I would bed the brakes. After the 10 stops from 50 mph which were easy I started on to the 100 mph stops. I now have somewhat of a lever and the bike stops decent. The initial bite isn't like the Braketech Iron rotors but these ramp up like crazy. During the 100 mph stop the ABS would activate which I've never felt on this bike. Its not unsettling like other ABS systems it was a slight nudge on the lever as oppose to it fighting you. I let the brakes cool down and now we are in the home stretch. 2 more 100 mph stops then I ended up at the gas station here's were the pump sprayer comes into play. I go inside and purchase a large Fiji water I filled my sprayer with half and I drank the rest. Sprayed down the brakes to cool them off. Only the best hydration for the Sicoms lol. I could only imagine what the people at the gas station were thinking wtf 🤨.

Now that the brakes are good to go they feel great I've put about 100 miles or so on them and they stop stop.
I'm ready to out brake Toprak Razgatlıoğlu into turn 1 at Jerez 🤪🥴. I will put more miles on them and do a proper review. Initial thoughts are positive.
Does the abs intervene regularly with these? I am seriously considering these but am always weary on swapping out parts that require a lot of rider adjustment on input. Especially on track.