HKMP7's V4S Journal

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
GiaMoto Rearsets
I think the controls are the most important part on the motorcycle so rearsets were the next mod for me. I don't like the folding pegs on the factory ones also they aren't nearly as precise. I had some "must haves" on the new rearsets they were the following:

1. Uses bearings
2. Uses factory brake light switch
3. Doesn't have the grid style adjustments
4. Compatible with DP Carbon heel guards
5. All Black yes Im a poser lol
So that's how I ended up with these. GiaMoto V4 Rearsets

The shifter side is very simple and straight forward so I only took pictures of the brake side because its a bit more involved. Now on the the install.
Tools needed
3mm Allen
4mm Allen
5mm Allen
6mm Allen
10mm open ended wrench "cresent wrench"
11mm open ended wrench "cresent wrench"
Torque wrench

What's in the box

I love that they included some of the design drawings adds a premium touch

You will have to do a bit of trimming to get the DP heel guards to fit perfect

I opted for the folding toe pieces

After removing the lowers and the heel guards you should have this.

Remove this rubber tie

Remove this two bolts

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Slide the master like this. With the slack you have from removing the rubber tie you can wrap it in a microfiber and tuck it away.

Will look like this

Remove this bolt. I used a allen key because you don't have much room. I put some detailing tape here so I wouldn't scratch up the exhaust shield.

Remove this bolt and the "L" shaped spacer bracket
Then remove the rearsets. Now you will need the 11mm open ended wrench for the brake light switch. The 10mm open ended wrench is for the nut that secures the actuator bolt.

Before I removed the nut and bolt that activates the brake light switch. I measured the distance from the nut to underneath the bolt head. So when I put them on the new rearsets I had a starting point.

Brake light switch hardware and heat shield bracket installed.

Install the new rearsets and torque them to 25nm/18.4lb ft

Install the master cylinder body loosely. Slide in the pin then compress the spring to get the bolt started.

Should look like this. Torque specs on these bolts are 20Nm/14.8lb ft

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Before

After

Now you have a lot more room between the lower and the rearsets should make taking the lowers off less dangerous.

Before

After

I was worried that my pitbull stand wouldn't clear crisis adverted.

The end result

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
To every readers, please pay attention to what @HKMP7 said, especially on the word HOLLOW
because that Podium Racing bolt is really HOLLOW all the way through the middle of it !!! That's is amazing šŸ§

I am guessing they were using gun drilling method to create that long holes ...
That is correct. I asked a machinist before I bought them if it affected their strength. He said that it doesn't affect the shear strength much at all. I think they look super cool.

Lucati

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
To every readers, please pay attention to what @HKMP7 said, especially on the word HOLLOW
because that Podium Racing bolt is really HOLLOW all the way through the middle of it !!! That's is amazing šŸ§

I am guessing they were using gun drilling method to create that long holes ...
I had these Ti rear hub bolts that are hollow, they weigh nearly nothing it seems. I had to replace them since I got the over-suspension.
17BA0B47-1739-424D-AF13-9FB0E568732D.jpeg78010F28-11A3-4F17-8811-045DC7EF50C9.jpeg

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
More Ti diet
I decided to go with the Podium racing for the fairings bolts so I can still use allen keys. Went with black to keep the factory look.

I found these Black Ti rear Axle lock pins

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
DP Racing Seat
The design of the factory seat leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure why it has a lower part on the front of the seat. This "nut pocket" is super uncomfortable so I had to change it. My local Ducati shop had both the comfort seat and racing seat in stock. So after comparing them I decided to go with the racing seat because its not much firmer than the factory seat. It has textured grip panels on the sides and softer grip material in the center. The red deviated stitching is a nice touch. So killed 2 birds with 1 stone looks awesome and performs much better.

Nonsense

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
More Ti diet
Podium racing windscreen bolt
The screen bolts added slightly more weight but what they lack in weight savings they make up for in style.

Kick stand,Speed sensors and Steering damper bolts

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
DP Carbon rear fender
I went with this style because you can use it with the factory exhaust as well as aftermarket.

Coated with Gtechniq CSL and Exo as a top coat.

Proti Hardware

The fender matches the carbon tail pretty well. That red stitching is the business.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Its warming up here in the desert found this huge scorpion in my garage ;)

Ducati Performance Akrapovic Ti System

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Exhaust accessories prep
I got the matte carbon coated with Dr. Beasley's

Proti Bolts for the heat shields

Treated the cans with a high temp wax that will help keep them clean and free of chain sling.

Akra Exhaust lowers

Wanted to protect the lowers from melting so I added some Gold heat protection
The silver stuff is what it comes with from Ducati.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Ducati Performance Rizoma levers
I wasn't in love with the stock levers so I opted for these. They feel quite a bit better and I like the low drag folding lever. The Ducati logo is a nice touch and the little red accent on the adjuster is cool.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
I have a friend that's a Ducati tech so I asked him for any tips on the exhaust install. He said "Why don't I just do it for you?"
Don't threaten me with a good time so I loaded it up as quickly as I could lol.

An hour later I came back with this. Anytime I do any recalls or service I bring the bike naked so there is no chance of scratching the fairings.

Operating table
Gentlemen we can rebuild him we have the technology. Better stronger faster lol

Evotech Rad and oil cooler guards

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Akrapovic Installed
The install went smooth the only hiccup was getting the up-map loaded. Had some issues getting the bike synced to the Ducati mothership.
After getting the map loaded had a Dyno appt. Bike made just over 200hp 89lb ft. For comparison same dyno my 16' S1000rr with full Akra and BMW up-map made 191hp 82lb ft. So all and all I'm happy with the look the sound and performance.

Replaced more of the factory bolts these are aluminum

Ti for the rearset frame brackets

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
More Ti Diet
Front fairing stay bolts

Proti Ti pivot pin

Aella Ti Valve caps
This is one of my favorite parts on the bike.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Podium Racing Ti axle
Saved a bit more weight with this. The finish is really nice and we shaved .5 of a lb.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Updated look on Thirsty Thursday
Just at my favorite watering hole. They have 100 oct and 95 oct out of the pump. :cool:

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
916 V4
This is arguably the most Iconic bike ever made. I noticed it while out so I had to get a picture. This bike started my love affair with motorcycles. It still looks amazing for a bike that was designed in the early 90's. Its so far removed from the other motorcycle offerings very subtle in design without the loud colors, stickers and unnecessary vents. You can see the 916 DNA in the V4. Its amazing how far we have come from about 115HP to 200HP with ABS, DTC, DSC, DWC, DPL, DQS, EBC and DES. Imagine another 30 years Im sure bikes will be electric so with that being said the future sucks lol. I'll stay in the present.