HKMP7's V4S Journal

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Update
So I was left alone for the weekend and decided to re arrange some furniture lol. Here is what we are working on over the winter break.

P.S. this took way too long to setup smh
I found a new "WALDO" the Ima handle bar 🤩 :love:

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
I think I may have to change the whole setup. The Melotti is awesome don't get me wrong. What they did to save weight is milled the underside. So it doesn't have a place to drill and tap for bolts. The IMA top clamp has to holes already drilled and tapped. I think with those extra holes it will make mounting the brackets for the reservoirs simple.3154E4FA-2C67-49E6-9A26-04C2D124C164.jpeg

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Ilmberger V4R Fairings
I never formally posted these but here they are. The wait on these was crazy long. Before you get them painted you should definitely do a test fit. I had to trim near the the kickstand cut out for it to fit properly. I also smoothed out the sharp edge on the lower fairing where it attaches on the motocorse rearset bracket. Mainly to help eliminate scratches on the clutch cover when installing the lower by myself.
Notice the pre installed swirls in the tank and windscreen 🥴. I wont bother with the ones on the tank since it will be painted. But the ones on the windscreen I'll remove and share in a future post.
I'm sure @layed_black would approve

The extra width is very noticeable

Weights & Measures
Fairings weight

Upper

Stock 413g
Carbon 316g

Mid

Stock with inner fairing 1233g left 1234g right
Carbon 610g left 718g right

Lower
Stock 1146g
Carbon 1033g

Wings

Stock n/a
Carbon 183g per

Total weight
Stock 18-19 V4S 4026g
Ilmberger V4R kit 3043g
Weight saved 983g or 2.1lbs

Last edited:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi HKMP7,
Will it be possible to share the color scheme that you plan on your new carbon fiber tank and carbon fiber wider fairings right now?
Or that is still a "surprise" "surprise" ?;)

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Hi HKMP7,
Will it be possible to share the color scheme that you plan on your new carbon fiber tank and carbon fiber wider fairings right now?
Or that is still a "surprise" "surprise" ?;)
Sure. As you know I like subtle with details. So it will be the factory paint scheme with some exposed carbon accents. From 3 feet away it will look stock lol but up close you will see all the work.
All factory decals

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Sure. As you know I like subtle with details. So it will be the factory paint scheme with some exposed carbon accents. From 3 feet away it will look stock lol but up close you will see all the work.
All factory decals

I can't wait to see the final result 😍

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Hose management
Here is a nice piece that came with the Ilmberger carbon lower fairing.
Its a carbon bracket to manage the overflow hoses. Its nice that they are tucked away and you don't have to deal with them.
I did add a ziptie to the smaller hose for added security.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Brembo GP4-MS+Staubli QD Brakelines
After getting some seat time with the rotors it was time to take another incremental step in the braking dept. In this installment I replace the calipers and brakelines. The calipers are straight forward they are direct replacements for the factory ones. The brakelines were made by @MOTION SBK the quality is top notch. Once there is a proper solution for ABS delete I will run these directly to the master. But for now I have this line going to the ABS box. What a pain in the butt that ABS box is. I have 3 different types of bleeders and I still couldn't get a firm lever. I did finally find the issue. The fitting for the brakeline on the ABS box was barely touching the other fitting going back to the rear brake. So I loosened that fitting and rotated it until I got enough clearance. Another bleed job then voila solid as a rock. I haven't finalized the routing so I will make it look a bit more tidy later.

The keen eye will notice something missing here. That's right I ditched the horn and saved 194g

Last edited:

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
How proper a solution is a proper solution? Most guys just block off the ABS module with bolts and it causes no issues.
I want to wait to see if anyone comes up with full delete. So I can ditch the pump all together I believe its 2-2.5lb of weight that can be saved. If that doesn't happen I will go the plug the ports route.

MaverickiB

I want to wait to see if anyone comes up with full delete. So I can ditch the pump all together I believe its 2-2.5lb of weight that can be saved. If that doesn't happen I will go the plug the ports route.
Full delete probably won't come until a true tuning solution is come up with, or you switch to a completely different electronics suite like Motec. However, in my travels I discovered the guy who did all the tuning and deconstruction of Kyle Wyman's MotoAmerica V4 the first year he raced, before he had the MM electronics suite from the factory. He apparently was able to dissect the ECU and develop a real tune. Was told he's a true wizard of the art of breaking modern ECUs (in a good way).

I'm waiting until I get more spare funds on hand before having a serious conversation with him, as I hate wasting people's time. But he might be able to work something out for you to eliminate ABS and/or some other things. Based out of Las Vegas I believe.

Name is Gary Dean at Speed Demon Motorcycles.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Full delete probably won't come until a true tuning solution is come up with, or you switch to a completely different electronics suite like Motec. However, in my travels I discovered the guy who did all the tuning and deconstruction of Kyle Wyman's MotoAmerica V4 the first year he raced, before he had the MM electronics suite from the factory. He apparently was able to dissect the ECU and develop a real tune. Was told he's a true wizard of the art of breaking modern ECUs (in a good way).

I'm waiting until I get more spare funds on hand before having a serious conversation with him, as I hate wasting people's time. But he might be able to work something out for you to eliminate ABS and/or some other things. Based out of Las Vegas I believe.

I heard something similar with a couple tuning outfits so I will wait. The feel with this setup is actually pretty good. I do notice with the added braking performance the ABS intervention happens a lot sooner.

craig bush

Keep us posted. When I tried to get hold of Gary regarding a former Grave’s R1 I was considering buying, he was not responsive.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Radiator bracket cerakote
Once I test fitted the V4R bodywork I noticed that the gills on the side expose a lot of the inner workings. So I saw this large silver bracket sticking out like a sore thumb.

Removed them

FF 48hrs

Installed