HKMP7's V4S Journal

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
Clutch Cover Craze
I will dedicate this week to the dry clutch covers I bought and why. I plan to install the clutch over the winter leading into next season. The first one is the factory cover that comes with the kit. I don't think anyone in their right mind will use this cover. I'm sure it was included for legal purposes. It's made of magnesium and is the same as the factory V4/V4S cover with 2 of the mounting tabs removed. They also removed the internal sound deadening. This cover weighs 288g.
Can we take guesses as to what is under the dots? I'm going to guess that the bottom left is the Spider brand with the scoop? The middle is the 1/2 carbon Pack Man cover? The top right the Woodcraft cover and just a wild guess the bottom right is the Ducabike cover?

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Can we take guesses as to what is under the dots? I'm going to guess that the bottom left is the Spider brand with the scoop? The middle is the 1/2 carbon Pack Man cover? The top right the Woodcraft cover and just a wild guess the bottom right is the Ducabike cover?
Ha Ha yes and no. Geez were you looking over my shoulder when I took these lol.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Clutch Cover Craze part 3
This cover was bought for a couple different reasons. I will run this cover when doing track days to provide more protection in case the bike throws me off. Also the WSBK team runs this cover and it looks killer. This cover weighs 314g.

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Clutch Cover Craze part 3
This cover was bought for a couple different reasons. I will run this cover when doing track days to provide more protection in case the bike throws me off. Also the WSBK team runs this cover and it looks killer. This cover weighs 314g.

Nice
I like the weight savings of the CF one

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
May be it is more heavy because this strong steel or not...
The basket is aluminum and so are most of the other components. I'm not sure if the oem wet clutch has a aluminum basket as well. I guess we will find out soon.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Clutch Cover Craze part 4
@Araitim already guessed this cover lol man I guess I'm predictable ha ha. I think its good looking but more about function. The air scoop is supposed to help cool down the clutch plates to help with longevity. Who knows if it will actually do anything but they at least took the time to think about it. This is basically their normal cover with holes drilled to mount the scoop. I'm betting this cover will crash well its pretty robust. This cover weighs 394g

Araitim

Staff member
Clutch Cover Craze part 4
@Araitim already guessed this cover lol man I guess I'm predictable ha ha. I think its good looking but more about function. The air scoop is supposed to help cool down the clutch plates to help with longevity. Who knows if it will actually do anything but they at least took the time to think about it. This is basically their normal cover with holes drilled to mount the scoop. I'm betting this cover will crash well its pretty robust. This cover weighs 394g

I absolutely LOVE that style Spider cover. I wish they made one in that style for the old dry clutch bikes. The one they make for the old dry bikes is not neat as cool. This is actually my favorite cover made for the V4 d.c(second favorite is the Woodcraft with removable slider).. VERY NICE! (Also, so far I was only wrong with one when I guessed. I was wrong with placement on the pic but actual covers I did pretty good.LOL. feeling pretty proud of myself)

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Clutch Cover Craze part 5
I love this cover and the minimalist design. It reminds me of the covers on the old 998's. It's as light as the carbon cover and may provide a bit more protection. I haven't seen anyone with this one yet without further ado. The STM TI dry clutch cover. This cover weighs 69g

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Clutch Cover Craze recap:
In order by weight.
Ducati Performance carbon cover part# 96981251AA 65g
STM Titanium dry clutch cover part # SDU-0181
69g
Factory Magnesium dry clutch cover 288g
Ducati Performance billet cover part # 97381131AA 314g
Spider Max flow clutch cover
394g

Araitim

Staff member
I have that same titanium STM cover for my hyper. I liked it too. I like the minimalist design but it broke. I tried to braze it back together but it turns out I can't do it at home with what I have. They are definitely nice.
Screenshot_20211029-175449_Gallery.jpg

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Clutch Cover Craze bonus round:
I'm sure you saw this coming this is Ducati Modified for crying out loud lol. Titanium is one of my favorite metals to use because a little heat gives it character. So I got the torch out and went to work I did some shades of bronze, blue and purple. I also burnt the 3 bolts that will hold the cover on.

Tsaico

FOUNDING Member
New factory o-ring part# 88610951A

I also changed the grease I use for the front and rear axle. This is the same grease Porsche uses on their GT cars with centerlock wheels.
omg! The paste is amazing, as I slides the front axle and brake piston, just a different feedback from pushed through action, very gratifying indeed!

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
omg! The paste is amazing, as I slides the front axle and brake piston, just a different feedback from pushed through action, very gratifying indeed!
If it’s good enough for Porsche it’s good enough for me.