DUCATI Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 BUILD Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
This is one of my favorite videos of 2021.
When the smoke alarm 🚨 goes off 🤣🤣🤣.
Congrats @BMW Alpina.
Thanks HKMP7 🤣,

Now, do you guys recognize what is that transparent cylinder in the picture below?
IMG_4504.JPG

ok... how about this picture:
IMG_4504.JPG

I am sure you guys still confused... what the heck is that...

Ok, let me share the "intense moment" I had before I started the engine...
So... I was using a hand siphon pump to transfer the fuel from the plastic gasoline container to the gas tank.
I bought this hand siphon pump together with this generic plastic gasoline container last year.
I left both the hand siphon pump and the plastic gasoline container on our house side porch which make them exposed to sunlight (not directly though)...
Problem is... turn out these "modern" plastic is very fragile with UV from the sunlight... because the plastic gasoline container had this small pin hole which I only found out a few days ago after I fill them up at gas pump and it was leaking drip by drip from the bottom... but I solve the problem (temporarily) by placing it on it's side so it won't leak.
I should have realized this will also create problem with the plastic siphon pump...

Anyway, again
I was using a hand siphon pump to transfer the fuel from the plastic gasoline container to the gas tank, and
I insert one end of the outlet tube into the opening of the gas tank when I saw it CRACKED while I am pumping gasoline...
So I stop and try to take the tube out from the gas tank and... it just broke (fell apart) and about 3 inches part of the tube fall INTO the gas tank...
I am like... Oh no... this means I need to take the gas tank out again from the bike and put it upside down until the tube came out...
I was really .... well not happy.... I try to look from the gasoline cap opening and can't see anything.... (picture below):

IMG_4508.JPG

but then I realize... hey what if I take out the entire gas tank cap assembly... so I took it out and voila... I can see the piece of tube , picture below:
IMG_4505.JPG

Then use a plier to pick it out:
IMG_4507.JPG

Ah... crisis averted 😅

I am still using that siphon pump again to pump more fuel, but do it very carefully not to break it apart more... then once done, transfer it to where it belong, the trash can 😇
IMG_4514.JPG

Anyway, I am going to order a new siphon pump and also already ordered a better quality VP Fuel gas can....

Oh, by the way, the heat is working well on the color transformation at the Titanium rear Manifold 😍:
IMG_4509.JPG
and here is the front manifold:
IMG_4510.JPG

This happened after I let the engine run for a while until the cooling fan start spinning:
IMG_4511.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Wow! Sounds really good. Nice stage presence too, Howard. (y)

I think you have to ride this bike one day my friend.
Thanks so much @craig bush 😃
Yes the twin silencer with longer pipe (and thus larger total volume of the pipe) really made the exhaust sounds deeper (lower frequency).
Plus the high location made the sound stages higher (just like when you put a tweeter higher on the dashboard of a car instead of the lower part of the door)
The silencers also a bit further apart and made it sound more STEREO... it's really more musical then the stock exhaust location.

The good news is, the sound does not sound as loud as the original exhaust (because less high pitch), so it doesn't hurt my ear...
I only realize that it is much louder then stock because when I try to talk to my son when the bike is on, I had to really yelling while with stock exhaust, I don't have to yell to talk to my sons...

I am already itching now to ride it... but I need to keep my promise to myself to only ride this bike after both my sons already graduate from college, have good jobs and can support themselves.

Jrkk

Omg, Howard.
I didn't had time to watch your video until now. 😂 Fire alarm and all that smoke.
Must be nice smell in your apartment now. :eek:

Congratulations for your success. Great sound.(y)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Thanks Jrkk 😃,

I did open the front door (it have mesh screen for ventilation), the door to the garage (with the garage door slightly opened), the side door and the back yard window with ceiling fan to help evacuate the smoke to the back yard...
However, Yes, it was smelly in my house for the next few hours due to all that smoke from the oil/join grease in the new exhaust 🤣😅.

Brooklynv4

According to the instruction manual, remove the Canister from the car body when the akrapovic exhaust is installed.

Even if it is a standard ECU mapping and standard exhaust, it is less likely to cause problems if it is removed.
It is illegal depending on the country or region😜
View attachment 6737
View attachment 6738
I’ve removed my evap canister but I’m wondering if there is any way to bypass that little motor so that I can remove it without throwing a code

ggok

I’ve removed my evap canister but I’m wondering if there is any way to bypass that little motor so that I can remove it without throwing a code
If the akrapovic exhaust is installed and changed to akrapovic mapping, close the blue ◯ shown in photo (1) and remove the Charcoal Canister along with the barge valve.

To remove the Canister without generating an error, leave the purge valve and plug the red ◯ shown in photo (2).

Leave the connector connected to the purge valve body attached as shown in photo (3).
No error occurs.

If the official akrapovic mapping or the racing map that disables the purge valve, exhaust valve, or O2λ sensor is flushed, follow Photo (1).

スクリーンショット 2021-12-07 204822.png

スクリーンショット 2021-12-07 204728.png

スクリーンショット 2021-12-07 204838.png

Attachments

MaverickiB

You can do this without needing the official Akra map by purchasing a purge valve eliminator plug from smart-moto. It's just a simple termination plug that allows the assembly to be removed. I did that, then terminated the purge hoses individually for each cylinder to remove as much unnecessary hose as possible.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I ordered the Ducati Gear Sensor Cooling Duct Kit because I was interested in installing it on my bike:
IMG_4517.JPG

However, now I learned that the entire kit will be bolted by a small M5 screws onto the 2 special bolt that hold the left plate for rear set and side stand.
The issue here, I prefer the ProTi bolt since it is a great match to my Motocorse side left plate.
Beside I no longer using stock exhaust with high heat generating catalytic converter so my gear sensor should be safe from over heating.
Thus I decided not to install this kit.
I guess, I now have one more items to be displayed in my future display rack 😅

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I just noticed the manifold is getting "blueer" 🤩 after I turn on the engine a few more minutes yesterday. I hope it stay in this hue forever ;)
IMG_4577.JPG

Oh, the VP Racing gas can and new transfer pump arrived yesterday:
IMG_4574.JPGIMG_4575.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
In order to start the bike, one of the very important thing to do is... connect the Kohken Clutch Lever Switch... by connecting means, cutting the original Brembo Clutch Lever Switch wiring and then soldered them to the Kohken pigtail wire 🧐

Now, the first is to documented the current wiring routing and where the tie-lock/rubber band located:
View attachment 6591View attachment 6592

Then I recheck the last optimize position of the Kohken switch because I will need to remove it from the RCS16 Corsa Corta Clutch to make it easy to solder:
View attachment 6593

Next, we need to check whether the Stock Brembo Clutch Lever Switch is a Normally Open or Normally Closed Switch using Multimeter:
View attachment 6594

By cutting the wires (of course after measuring the ideal length of wire that needed for the Kohken Switch):
View attachment 6595

View attachment 6596

And it's a Normally Open switch, meaning when you press the switch then it connect:
View attachment 6597

So now to check which of the 3 Kohken wires is the correct one since the Kohken can function as both Normally Open and Normally Closed Switch,
and I found out it is the Green with Black wire which create a Normally Open Switch:
View attachment 6598

So next, find my old stash of Shrink Tube, and TechFlex wire loom protection:
View attachment 6599

Then cut the black outer shrink tubing and put it over the whole wiring:
View attachment 6600

Then make sure I isolate the end of the red wire (unused) then bend it back inside:
View attachment 6601View attachment 6602

Time to use the old flux and solder:
View attachment 6603View attachment 6604

Then use alcohol to clean the flux (after soldering):
View attachment 6605

Oh, of course, I also have the smaller shrink tubing to cover each solder individually:
View attachment 6606

Cover everything with the black heat shrink tube for that stock look:
View attachment 6607

But, why stock look, let's go one step further with the TechFlex Flexo PET Uptown Gold 😃:
View attachment 6608View attachment 6609

View attachment 6610

View attachment 6611

Continue below...
I tested the clutch switch function today by trying to start the bike with the first gear engage, and the bike started without me pulling the clutch...
What the heck...

Well, that can only means I wire the Kohken switch backward...
but how could that be... I check my post above... and I do everything correctly...
Then I realized... the way the Kohken switch mount, it actually "release" the switch when I pull the clutch lever, while the stock Brembo switch setup, it actually "press" the switch when I pull the clutch lever...
oh well, I took the switch out again and re soldered the connection the right way...
then test it again and VOILA now everything is good...
🤓so if you buy a Kohken switch use the RED and BLACK wire instead🧐

Brooklynv4

You can do this without needing the official Akra map by purchasing a purge valve eliminator plug from smart-moto. It's just a simple termination plug that allows the assembly to be removed. I did that, then terminated the purge hoses individually for each cylinder to remove as much unnecessary hose as possible.
Thank you I’m going to go the non Akra route as I have a 4 uscite on my bike. Should I do block off plates also or just plug the ones already on the bike

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Thank you @ggok for the information regarding the OBDStar diagnostic system (y) 😃

This morning, the TEXA Dual Y Connector arrived first:
IMG_4602.JPG

and later in the evening DHL delivered fresh from Hongkong, the OBDStar iScan for Ducati:
IMG_4603.JPGIMG_4604.JPG

IMG_4605.JPG

Look at those attention to details in packaging and packing list,... make it feel worth thousands of USD $ eventhough it is not that expensive 🤑
Can't wait to try using it maybe during the weekend 😃

Next, I also purchase extra rubber base for the battery, because at this moment, the battery is somehow "floating" in the air since both ground and main positive cable is very stiff and longer than it suppose to so it kinda hold the battery hanging in the air:
IMG_4587.JPGIMG_4588.JPG

Also purchase some extra Ducati clamps and tielocks:
IMG_4589.JPGIMG_4590.JPG

ggok

Thank you @ggok for the information regarding the OBDStar diagnostic system (y) 😃

This morning, the TEXA Dual Y Connector arrived first:
View attachment 6880

and later in the evening DHL delivered fresh from Hongkong, the OBDStar iScan for Ducati:
View attachment 6881View attachment 6882

View attachment 6883

Look at those attention to details in packaging and packing list,... make it feel worth thousands of USD $ eventhough it is not that expensive 🤑
Can't wait to try using it maybe during the weekend 😃

Next, I also purchase extra rubber base for the battery, because at this moment, the battery is somehow "floating" in the air since both ground and main positive cable is very stiff and longer than it suppose to so it kinda hold the battery hanging in the air:
View attachment 6884View attachment 6885

Also purchase some extra Ducati clamps and tielocks:
View attachment 6886View attachment 6887

I was notified of a major update to my MS 80 device, so I also updated my ISCAN DUCATI device😎
Screenshot_2021-12-03-16-37-25.png
Screenshot_2021-12-15-15-29-42.png
Superleggera v4

It seems to support transport mode.
This is no longer the same as the DUCATI dealer.

Screenshot_2021-12-15-15-32-57.png
Screenshot_2021-12-15-15-33-25.png

Screenshot_2021-12-15-15-32-49.png

BMW Alpina

Staff member

I was notified of a major update to my MS 80 device, so I also updated my ISCAN DUCATI device😎
View attachment 6894
View attachment 6895
Superleggera v4

It seems to support transport mode.
This is no longer the same as the DUCATI dealer.

View attachment 6896
View attachment 6897

View attachment 6898
First, you as always are GENIUS @ggok
Second, you said you purchase the MS80? That is over $2k or maybe $3k USD, right?
Wow, you are very committed to this system. Is there any chance in the future for the MS80 to upgrade the ECU mapping?
Thanks again

ggok

First, you as always are GENIUS @ggok
Second, you said you purchase the MS80? That is over $2k or maybe $3k USD, right?
Wow, you are very committed to this system. Is there any chance in the future for the MS80 to upgrade the ECU mapping?
Thanks again
The DUCATI updater for the MS80 device is identical to the ISCAN DUCATI device.

If there is a DUCATI updater for the MS80, it means that it is an updater for the ISCAN DUCATI.

Since the ISCAN DUCATI has just been released, it is possible that updates will be announced to ISCAN DUCATI users soon.

I have no plans to purchase the MS80 device.
The MS80, MS50 and ISCAN devices are also high performance CAN converters.
It is easy to access the vehicle's ECU and adjust the fuel and ignition.

Maybe OBDSTAR is thinking of creating a dedicated app or software and releasing an app that would allow you to change and adjust the ECU mapping with it.

Since OBDSTAR is an Android device, for example, if you download the TuneECU app, it will be a device that allows you to change the mapping of the ECU.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I just posted a GREAT review on Yelp and Google Review for Ducati Concord for providing a full pick up and delivery service plus the Full System Akrapovic Exhaust UpMap and DTC EVO 2 upgrade for me 🤩
I am so so so happy today because now everytime I start my bike it will show RACING EVO for a few seconds and then RACE EVO permanently (well if I choose RACE mode)... I don't like to be a RACING PRO, it have to be RACING EVO 🤪

IMG_4673.JPGIMG_4670.JPG

And below is my review for Ducati Concord that I copy and paste here so other reader who happened to live in the Bay Area can also consider Ducati Concord to be their service provider:

I owned a Fully MODIFIED 2020 Ducati Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916.
I installed SC-Project WSBK Full Titanium exhaust further customized with Termignoni Silencers. So I need the ECU to be upgraded with the Ducati Official Akrapovic Full System Exhaust Up-Map which only can be performed by official Ducati Dealer.

I also want to add the DTC EVO2 software to further optimized the traction during track use.
I start my research by emailing several Ducati Dealership in the Bay Area, Becki Moreno, The Service Business Development Manager from Ducati Concord was the first to respond back to me and quickly provide me with a quote by email.
Not only Becki provide me with the fastest response, she also was very friendly, provide all the information that I asked in details and also provide the best quote (both software and service cost) compare to other dealership.
Not to mention Ducati Concord is the only dealership that offer pick up from your home by their Mercedes Sprinter Van service. This is perfect because my bike is a "Display Only bike" with only 4 miles on the odometer, so I don't have to arrange transport myself.
Then Becki introduce me to Mario Lopez, the Service Dept. Director at Ducati Concord.
Mario further provide me with more information, on how the Software upgrading procedure will be and take notes of all my extra requests due to customization level of my bike. Mario basically provide me with the feeling that my bike is in great professional hand.
At the agreed date, Marco their Van Transporter Driver called me in the morning, giving me real time update on when he will arrive at my house to pick up my bike. Marco arrived on time, have great friendly personality, and also a motorcycle enthusiast.

Please note that Marco is a young person but have the great personality and attitude that is usually not found with a person at his age. He took great care of my bike when he secure it on his van and off my bike go.
Later, Renee from their head office called me to confirm that my bike arrived and also ask me for final confirmation to all the service that I agreed.
The following day, Renee again called me to let me know all service had been done and to get my payment information. Renee is also very pleasant to talk too and super nice.
A day later, Josh is the Van Transporter Driver for delivering the bike back to my home. Like Marco, he called in the morning and also have some great personality as Marco. It's feel like Josh is the Twin Great Personality of Marco.
In summary, I never felt treated as good as this with every service dept. Car or Motorcycle I had been to. Ducati Concord Service Dept. level of customer service is even better than at Porsche/Lexus/BMW/Mercedes/Infiniti dealerships that I deal in the past.
I greatly recommend anyone in the Bay Area to give Ducati Concord a chance to service your Ducati.
Thank You Becki, Mario, Marco, Renee and Josh. I really appreciate and so happy to see my dashboard now shows Racing EVO and Race EVO each time I started my bike :)

By the way, now that my bike already have the ECU upgraded with the UpMap, then this is time for me to sell the Brand New Akrapovic Full System Exhaust for Panigale V4/V4S/V4R at heavily discounted price of just $3,500 including shipping cost to 48 lower US states because it will not come with any UpMap since I already used it.
This is a great package since many track rider prefer an after market tuner like SLR Tuning or BrenTuning or XECU for the tune anyway because from what I heard, the Ducati official Akrapovic UpMap tune still not perfect and does not produce the maximum horsepower.
Again, my application is only for the dashboard to show RACING EVO and RACE EVO so I don't care about the last ounce of horsepower but others do, so again, this is a great chance to buy a BRAND NEW Akrapovic Full System Exhaust without UpMap and the price reflects that. ;)

Last edited: