DUCATI Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 BUILD Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
The 3D printed bracket for the ChaseBay F Brake Line Distributor, that I post a few pages back was just the FIRST prototype and it won't work because it did not have enough space to accommodate the -3AN Brake Line NUT.
Today, I also want to check the holes (diameter and spacing) to secure it to the lower triple clamp, and as I suspect, it also don't work well.

This is NORMAL since this is just the FIRST prototype. I mentioned that this is just a NON WORKING Prototype/Design long time ago at the old forum.
However, it doesn't help when a "NON-technical savvy character", who never read the details (and like to be spoon feed) start demanding to get the CAD files of this design so he can use it on his bike. 😏
Heck, it wasn't even a working prototype 🤣

This created a drama at the old forum that looking back, is actually a blessing in disguise.
Because that drama motivated me (with the support of many FOUNDING Members of this forum) to create this NEW Forum that can provide a COMFORTABLE place for any poster (especially the CONTENT Contributor/Provider or VENDOR) ! 🙂

So, before anyone start asking for the CAD files again, let me put a disclosure, once and for all, that the CAD files is NOT for sale and I will NOT give it out to anyone.
This is related to braking system, and it's a LEGAL LIABILITY for me.
Having said that, just by looking at my pictures, it will be very easy for any reader to take some measurement and copy my design. (or better, IMPROVE on my crude design). Just have to be willing to do a thing call measuring ;)

Here is the old design being tested today with the 35mm long ProTi M5 Titanium bolt, and turn out the hole diameter is too small, making it hard (and could damage the thread) to thread it onto the lower triple clamp:
IMG_8985.JPGIMG_8986.JPG
IMG_8987.JPG

So based on the testing above, I asked my younger son to make several adjustments to the design, listed below:
a. Make the hole diameter for the bolts to 6mm to allow some slack making it easy to thread and allow easy threading into the lower triple clamp
b. Cut a 45 degree angle corner to give more space for the -3AN brake line nut
c. Make the center part thinner my 1 mm again to give more space for the -3AN brake line nut
d. Make the BASEPLATE thicker from 3mm to 5mm for a more stable base

My younger son quickly work on his computer and in just 10 minutes, his 3D Printer already start printing again 😁

and here are the pictures of the SECOND Prototype:
IMG_9021.JPGIMG_9022.JPG
IMG_9023.JPG
IMG_9024.JPGIMG_9025.JPG

Hopefully this SECOND Prototype will be the Final revision... and I should know this by next weekend when I screw in the -3AN nut from Goodridge to make sure the spacing is really enough.
If everything goes ok, then... I will have a CNC Machine Shop make it out of 7075-T3 Aluminum or hmmm maybe even Titanium if the price is right (meaning still affordable) 😜

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Great stuff
One day I need to get a 3D printer and learn how to do it
Hi PanigalePilot,
We bought this model
Dremel DigiLab 3D40 Flex 3D Printer
from Amazon: Dremel DigiLab 3D40 Flex 3D Printer with Filament, Flexible Build Plate, Fully Enclosed Housing, Automated 9-Point Leveling, PC & MAC OS, Chromebook, iPad Compatible, Network-Friendly: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Decent printer for beginner :D

Here it is in action:
IMG_9043.JPG

So I tested by plugging/screwing in the Goodridge -AN3 nut and if you notice the left side NUT can't be screw in completely because the hex corner of the nut hit the middle waist of the bracket... so the bracket waist is still TOO FAT and need to be SLIMMER :LOL:
IMG_9037.JPG

My Younger Son, quickly go back to work and created REVISION 3, you can see from the picture below, LEFT is Revision 2 (FAT Waist), Right is Revision 3 (SUPER MODEL SUPER SLIM WAIST) 😘
IMG_9050.JPG

And now the bracket FIT perfectly, so I just sent the CAD files to an online CNC Machine shop and they will machined it from 7075-T6 Aluminum then Anodized it black. It will cost me about $250.
That is ok because, I did asked for a quote in Titanium Grade 5, and it came back at very close to $11,000 . Yes I am not joking $11,000 USD !!! well, that is a bit too expensive for a small bracket but I can understand since this is a one-off order 🤑
Also, it need to be from Aluminum 7075-T6 because that super model slim waist need to be strong, to make sure this bracket don't break 🧐
IMG_9056.JPG

Oh, I also test fit with the larger PIAA horn (Thanks for your idea @PanigalePilot ) and hopefully this weekend, I can cut the Carbon Fiber bracket for this horn:
IMG_9042.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
ProTi upgrade time 😃:

Radiator Drain Bolts, Before and After. I decided to use Blue Color ProTi Titanium Bolts since... the radiator is so hot, it turn the Titanium into it's bluish state color 😇
IMG_8980.JPGIMG_8981.JPG

ProTi upgrade for the Pins of the Rear Brembo CNC Billet Caliper:
IMG_8989.JPG
IMG_8993.JPGIMG_8990.JPG
IMG_8995.JPGIMG_8991.JPG

ProTi upgrade for the Bolts that hold the 2 halves of the Rear Brembo CNC Billet Caliper:
IMG_8996.JPGIMG_8997.JPG
IMG_8998.JPGIMG_9004.JPG

The other side:
IMG_9005.JPG

and now with Staubli Quick Disconnect and Gold ProTi Banjo Bolts:
IMG_9007.JPGIMG_9013.JPG

IMG_9011.JPGIMG_9012.JPG

Finally the Stahlbus Quick Bleeder Valve upgrade:
IMG_9018.JPGIMG_9015.JPG
IMG_9014.JPGIMG_9020.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I always love Friday evening, time to relax my mind by finding more things to modified 😃

So let's talk about rear master cylinder again:

The Brembo RACING Rear Billet Brake Master Cylinder With Reservoir Product code: XA2.C6.10 came standard with build in push rod. While the original stock rear MC has the removeable push rod.
That means, I need to replace the Ducati by Rizoma rear set push rod assy. with just a female rod end. Doing this modification also means I need to find a NEW helper springs.

There are several helper springs kit for rear master cylinder available, however none is as nice looking as this Japanese kit form G'craft. And because like some "undecided voter" out there, I was also having the same dilemma,
but only for "undecided color" 🤣 Because of that, I decided to just buy several kits with different based ring color and decided later. I also purchase the female rod end, picture below.
If you pay really close attention, the Gold and Red kit is the non adjustable model (spring tension), while the silver color is the full adjustable (spring tension) model.

IMG_8710.JPG

After waiting for several weeks, my order arrived and I immediately want test fit them so I can choose the best color, however, I found one problem.
The Brembo push rod was M6 thread, while the Silver Anodized Gear Like adjuster hole is M8... ups...
so... I have to buy M8 to M6 thread adapter with the correct pitch, and I can't find it due to the pitch size... but... since I am not giving up even after few days of searching...
it finally pay off and I find the one and only seller who sell the M6 to M8 adapter with the right pitch and below is the picture of the thread adapter and when I install it:
IMG_8751.JPGIMG_8752.JPG

Ok, so now I am ready to test fit and see which color is the best (for my eye) 😜:

IMG_8711.JPGIMG_8712.JPG
IMG_8713.JPG

And finally, I decided RED it is😌, so I proceed to test fit on the Ducati by Rizoma rearset:
IMG_8714.JPG

Well, another problem arises... turn out that same adjuster anodized silver gear like plate hit the bracket of the carbon foot guard...
which means, I can't use the fully adjustable (spring tension) and have to use the cone shape spring. this after all the time I waste just to find the right thread adapter and then wait for it to arrive... but that's ok...

Now, remember the rod end that I bought from Japan together with the G'Craft helper springs kit, well, the cast is rough and I don't like it... so I purchase another rod end kit here in the good ol' USA 🇺🇸
In the picture below, you can see the top rod end is the one from Japan and the bottom on is the one from USA. The USA sourced is much nicer, right? so USA it is 🦸‍♂️

IMG_9075.JPG

Ok, before I show you the assembled helper spring and rod end, I want to show you some other modification...

This time is for the nipple that will connect this Brembo Racing Billet rear master cylinder to the Ducati by Rizoma reservoir.
Initially, I thought (from the picture of the Brembo Racing Billet rear master before I buy it), the hole for the upper gold bolt is the regular banjo bolt thread, so I buy a nipple from Vibrant Racing and Anodized it in gold:
IMG_9076.JPG

But I was wrong, the hole is much smaller, so again I look all around the world to replace that gold bolt plug with the right nipple and finally (took several days to look), I found one source in AUSTRALIA. They have 3 different nipples so I just buy all 3 of them since the shipping cost is high if I made mistake and need to order another one. And of course took couple of weeks to arrive and it finally arrived:
IMG_8730.JPGIMG_8731.JPG

IMG_8732.JPG

After test fitting them I found the ideal length and diameter and install it onto the Brembo Racing Billet Rear MC. However it was made from Stainless Steel so I can anodized it gold. (Also notice the helper spring kit and end rod was still the wrong one):
IMG_8733.JPGIMG_8734.JPG

IMG_8735.JPG

Oh, I forgot, I also use this o-ring to make a good seal:
IMG_8736.JPG

And finally below is the correct configuration including the correct helper spring and end rod, plus notice the Stahlbus quick bleeder valve with the matching anodized red cap :love::

IMG_9072.JPGIMG_9071.JPG
IMG_9073.JPG

fiewww 😅 so many modification just for a Brembo rear billet master cylinder...seriously, I am already tired just posting this post now ... but wait there are more !!!o_O

I still need to replace some locking nut and also 2 bolts for the cover of the integrated reservoir with ProTi Titanium Bolt (will order soon),
and I am also wait for the correct diameter hose to connect between this Brembo rear billet master cylinder to the Ducati by Rizoma reservoir (which have different nipple and thus hose diameter),
and I also need to drill the 2 mounting holes for the Brembo Rear Billet Master Cylinder from threaded (as come from Brembo) to through hole, because the threaded part will be on the Ducati by Rizoma rear set.

But I am just waiting for the hose and already bought several different shape and diameter of nipple diameter adapter:
IMG_8757.JPG

continue below

BMW Alpina

Staff member
more hose adapter:
IMG_8749.JPGIMG_9027.JPG

Also some more ProTi shipment arrived:
IMG_8728.JPG

and the Ducati Performance Carbon Fiber tank cover also arrived , now this Ducati Performance Carbon Tank Cover will also be MODIFIED, so STAY TUNE 😉:
IMG_8715.JPG

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
more hose adapter:
View attachment 1217View attachment 1218

Also some more ProTi shipment arrived:
View attachment 1219

and the Ducati Performance Carbon Fiber tank cover also arrived , now this Ducati Performance Carbon Tank Cover will also be MODIFIED, so STAY TUNE 😉:
View attachment 1220
I like your persistence in getting to the point of exactly what you want. I have been distracted doing other things that got in the way but I will be back onto my 1199 soon. So many pieces to put on,

BMW Alpina

Staff member
@BMW Alpina I may have missed this in an earlier post but I’ll ask now anyway - do you plan to keep stock wheels or get some carbon fibre ones?
Hi Andy7,
I will not change the wheel because:
a. it is the main part of the 916 25 Anniversario package,
b. plus this is magnesium forged wheel, not the regular aluminum forged wheel, and the color of magnesium also make it look like the original 916 wheel

BMW Alpina

Staff member
That makes sense, those magnesium wheels look great already.
Just between you and me, there are ALREADY 2 members of our forum who received their NEW & GORGEOUS Carbon Fiber BST wheel lately...
They are just still "SHY" or "WAITING for The RIGHT MOMENT" before they posted it here ;)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I am trying to be productive today, so I decided to change one Crankcase NUT that normally hidden behind the sprocket with Titanium Nut.
The location is quite tight and normal socket wrench will not fit. Enter the Snap On torque adaptor, and luckily it have a rarely used size 13mm. 😃
IMG_9079.JPG

The replacement Titanium Nut from ProTi in M8 x 1.25mm pitch:
IMG_9081.JPGIMG_9082.JPG

I also purchase Ducati original washer to replace the washer:
IMG_9080.JPG

However, when I try to screw in the ProTi Nut, it just won't fit, and now I found out the Ducati Stud thread pitch is M8x1.00mm so the 1.25mm pitch of ProTi Nut won't fit. 😤
Unfortunately, ProTi does not sell M8 nut in 1.00 pitch only 1.25mm pitch and so does ProBolt.
I am in the process of ordering a Titanium Nut in M8x1.00 pitch but this means more delays before I can install the Front Sprocket.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Just when you think you got things figured out. Ducati throws a curve.
Yes, there is always something, just have to keep moving forward :D
like what happened below...

So @PanigalePilot gave me a great idea to replace the stock Ducati horn with a lighter and louder horn. I bought PIAA horn set kit that came as a pair of lower and higher tone (but I plan to only use the 500mhz one since there is only a space for one horn).
Last night I try to test fit and the larger (albeit lighter PIAA) just won't fit unless I cut it's horn housing. It won't fit because it is very tight behind the headlight with the Ram Air Duct. The PIAA horn housing would hit the ram air duct if I turn the steering.
Also, because it's steel bracket were part of it's assembly and there is a warning that I could not loosen the nut behind the PIAA horn without damaging the horn, that mean the alignment is off and I need to make an offset bracket.
However, the offset bracket might hit the brake line distribution block that I need for my brake line project.
With all the above, I decided to just stick with the simple Ducati original horn, but of course I will still replace the steel bracket with carbon fiber (this idea also came from @PanigalePilot 👍)

PIAA vs Stock Ducati Horn, notice the warning that tampering with the nut of the PIAA bracket will damage the horn:
IMG_9150.JPGIMG_9151.JPG
IMG_9152.JPG

Oh, I also considering putting a PAIR of the PIAA low and high tone horn somewhere else, but there are no space available. The only spaces available are the holes on the side of the swing arm, however, this will require drilling the swingarm to mount the horns plus the location will be covered by fairings that I think it will make the sound of the horn severely muffled, so I decided not to do this:
IMG_9153.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Now, all of this started because I purchase the ProTi Titanium Bolt kit for the horn and to install this kit, I need to take down the whole lower triple clamp.
That is where the conversation about replacing the steel horn bracket with carbon fiber and the horn with better and lighter horn were started.

Plus, I want to replace my upper triple clamp with the custom laser marked Melotti Racing upper triple clamp plus CNC Racing Titanium Steering head nut and also install the MotoCorse Upper Head Nut cover, so this is a great time to do this.

First, I used the ABBA stand extra attachment to lift up the front wheel together with the lower jack stand under the oil sump:
IMG_9105.JPG
IMG_9107.JPGIMG_9106.JPG

As you can see the front wheel is now lifted off the ground:
IMG_9108.JPG

Then I took out the Front Wheel and then took out the Front Right and Left Handle bars:
IMG_9111.JPGIMG_9112.JPG

But turn out despite all this step, the upper triple clamp was very tight and unmovable plus I don't want to tap it with wood and hammer worry I might scratch it so I decided to take out the Ohlins (which I need to take out anyway to remove the lower triple clamp):
IMG_9110.JPGIMG_9126.JPG

Then using fiber towel to further protect the surface and rubber mallet, I gently tap the upper triple clamp alternating between left and right side:
IMG_9109.JPG

Finally it is out 🤩:
IMG_9145.JPGIMG_9146.JPG

Then I use the Melotti Racing Steering Stem Nut tool to open the stock steering stem head nut. Note the Melloti Racing Tools is very wheel build with many pins (not just 4 pins) to turn the nut plus an O-Ring to protect the surface from touching (y):
IMG_9134.JPGIMG_9135.JPG

Remove the nut (becareful, don't forget to hold your lower triple clamp so it won't drop the ground) :p:
IMG_9113.JPGIMG_9114.JPG

IMG_9115.JPGIMG_9116.JPG

IMG_9117.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Now, I remove the horn bracket:
IMG_9122.JPG

I am also happily surprised that this CAST lower triple clamp is HOLLOW inside !!! So it is very light, and here are the pictures:
IMG_9118.JPGIMG_9119.JPG

The stem it self also very thin, thus light:
IMG_9120.JPGIMG_9121.JPG

I was thinking of replacing the lower triple clamp but I can't find any aftermarket replacement that have "windows/holes", I am talking about this marked in red:
IMG_8023.JPG

It really make a good contrast between the gold Ohlins Forks and the Black "ROUGH" surface of the stock Ducati Lower Triple Clamp. I almost like a Powrerful MONSTER Hand/Finger holding the forks 😡😡😡😉

All the alternatives like from Evotech Srl and IMA did not have those windows/holes. I do like the IMA design more than the Evotech Srl, however the IMA will only work with their top triple clamp and not with the stock/Melotti racing triple clamp.
I of course can make it fit by custom machining a new stem with 0 offset, but again it still did not have those "windows/holes".
So in the end, I decided to stay with the stock Lower Triple Clamp.

Then, I decided to weight the stock vs. replacement parts:

Note that the stock upper triple clamp were 52 grams heavier than the replacement Melotti Racing. The ProTi Titanium Bolts on the Melotti Racing also must help the weight reduction since the stock Ducati upper triple clamp came with Steel bolts:
IMG_9143.JPGIMG_9144.JPG

However the stock Ducati OEM steering head nut was 24 grams lighter vs. the CNC Racing Titanium steering head nut, meaning the combine weight reduction is only 52 grams - 24 grams = 28 grams 🧐
Not that I worry too much about weight reduction 🤪 but just in case anyone wants to know 😉
IMG_9148.JPGIMG_9147.JPG

Next step is to make the Carbon Fiber horn bracket and I start by using sharpie to outline the area I need to cut.
Oh, the stock Ducati steel horn bracket actually consist of 2 layer sandwich together with combine thickness of 2mm.
The carbon fiber plate that I am using is also 2mm, but I feel the carbon fiber plate is much more rigid (didn't flex like the original steel bracket) but at the same time potentially more brittle due to the way the fiber orient and the force apply by road imperfection.
So I will use 2 sandwich layer of the carbon fiber plate, meaning total thickness of 4mm.

IMG_9138.JPGIMG_9139.JPG

IMG_9142.JPG

And here is how the bike temporarily looks like, which is also a good time to access those cylinder head bolt behind the radiator and install the radiator grille 🤓:
IBZS2299.JPGIMG_9136.JPGIMG_9137.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I weigh the stock horn, wow it is very heavy, half the weight of the upper triple clamp !!! 😱:
Without bracket and with steel original bracket:
IMG_9162.JPGIMG_9163.JPG

However, if I stack/sandwich 2 stack of carbon fiber plate together as bracket, the nut on the horn will not have enough thread to bite,.. so again, I decided to just accept the fact that the original Ducati solution was and still the best solution 😌
So I will stick with the original steel bracket, and no carbon fiber bracket. Time to install the steel bracket and horn back to the lower triple clamp, with the ProTi Titanium Bolt and Nut, use loctite medium and 18Nm torque for the large M8 bolts.
I did not torque the M6 ProTi nuts to the horn since I will need to remove the horn again when I install my front brake line.

IMG_9164.JPGIMG_9165.JPG

Then I decided to test fit the MotoCorse front steering hub cover, I must say, it's worth the wait and worth the extra effort to GOLD anodized it 😍😘🥰:

IMG_9166.JPGIMG_9167.JPG