Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Some inspiration once you find your *new* bike 😎
View attachment 3961
View attachment 3962
Thanks so much Andy πŸ˜ƒ,
The sad news about the US version of 998s FE is their engine is the stock 998s engine, while the rest of the world got the 998R engine (more power, deep sump)...
But I think the NCR rear set is a must 😎 hopefully by the time I manage to get a 998s FE that I want, NCR is still selling the rear set for a 998 πŸ˜…

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi @HKMP7 , you will like this YouTube video, I had been watching it every day for the past few weeks (the effect almost like drugs addiction) πŸ€ͺ

And @Andy7 this one is a much watch GREAT quality Youtube video:

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Whoa that video was superb. I wish I could speak French (or at least had subtitles lol)
And the roads 🀀

BMW Alpina

Staff member
My first update for this BUILD Thread ;)
I am sure the senior members of our forum especially @HKMP7 catch my drift with the word "BUILD" πŸ˜‡

So, today an OLD NOS (New Old Stock) part from ancient eras of the mid 1990's made Ducati Performance arrived from Italy.
It's just a simple, low cost, small parts, but nevertheless it is the first part that arrive out of the several UPGRADE parts that I order 😌:

IMG_3181.JPG

This is the Aluminum cover for the turn signal mounting hole of the Ducati 916 / 996 / 998. In case I decided to not use the original turn signal 😎
Look at the embossed Ducati Performance Logo on the part it self... that is so ancient πŸ€ͺ but so original 🀩

Hopefully more parts coming soon...

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been looking for a 999 lol.
I hope you find the right bike because it’s going to be sick.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Mr. Postman just rang my door bell and to my surprise (because I wasn't expecting it to arrive this fast)... the only BRAND NEW Termignoni 54/50mm with the mid-pipe kit left in the world for Ducati 998R and 998S (at least this is the only kit I can find in the whole wide world) arrived 🀩

IMG_3194.JPG

Inspect it together with my puppy to make sure everything is good 😁:
IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

And measure the diameter of the pipe to make sure I did received the right kit 🧐:

First both mid-pipe inlet and outlet:
IMG_3206.JPGIMG_3207.JPG

Then diameter of the silencers, unfortunately one of the inlet of the silencers was bent, so I just order a flaring tools for exhaust from Amazon πŸ€“:
IMG_3215.JPGIMG_3211.JPG

Outside diameter:
IMG_3216.JPG

Check the Carbon Fiber finishes:
IMG_3208.JPGIMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

Check to make sure this is the FREE FLOWING system and no noise reducer 🏍:
IMG_3213.JPG

And just to make sure this is RACE ONLY 😎:
IMG_3210.JPGIMG_3214.JPG

And, make sure the clamps and hardware are complete:
IMG_3217.JPGIMG_3218.JPG

Last need to measure the distance between the mounting bolts for the Carbon Fiber heat guard, because Ducati has several iteration of Carbon Fiber heat guard with different mounting bolts distances (and now I need to HUNT for a nice but original Carbon Fiber heat guard ;)):
IMG_3219.JPG

I need to find this type:
1631406728682.png

Oh by the way, I also purchase a brand new old stock Ducati 998S (Euro Version) Service Manual books:geek::
IMG_3199.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Another important parts arrived today 🀩

The Euro Version of the 998s (including the Final Edition) has the deep sump engine with much higher horsepower compare to the US version. They also come with 50mm manifold/header while the US version is the smaller 45mm manifold header.
So, I decided to purchase a set of 50mm manifold/header of the EU version and just arrived today. However, I don't think I will be using this 50mm header/manifold anymore because I plan to BIG BORE the engine so I will need at least the 54mm manifold/header ;)
Well, I can always use this 50mm manifold/header as a template to custom made a 54mm manifold/header. Why custom made? Well because it is so hard to find any 54mm Termignoni full system manifold/header now since not too many system sold with 54mm (around 20 years ago) πŸ˜…
So my best bet is to custom made then to wait and wait and wait until someone sell their 54mm manifold/header.

I also check with some other exhaust manufacturer like SilMotor who currently still making a brand new 54mm full system exhaust, however, their pipe bend angle is not the same as my Termignoni 54mm silencers so they are not compatible...

but... if anyone reading this has a 54mm Termignoni manifold/headers that they want to sell, please let me know πŸ˜€

Here are the pictures:
IMG_3228.JPGIMG_3229.JPG

Here how they look assembled:
IMG_3237.JPG

and I check their diameter at each joint just to make sure they are really 50mm 😁:
IMG_3230.JPGIMG_3235.JPG
IMG_3233.JPGIMG_3234.JPG

The manifold:
IMG_3231.JPG

Last, the Amazon exhaust tubing flaring tools also arrived today:
IMG_3238.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
One small but CRUCIAL arrived today for the 998s FE project 🀩

Ducati no longer produce this parts, and CM Composite used to be the supplier of this parts for Ducati, and now they change name to Speed-Carbon, that is why I choose to buy from Speed Carbon:

IMG_3243.JPGIMG_3244.JPG

And I purchase the right version with about 75mm bolt spacings:
IMG_3242.JPG

I just purchased even more parts and hopefully will come in the next days and weeks 🀩 (that is if you can call a complete engine as a part ;):cool:πŸ˜‡)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
More parts arrived today,

First, please take a look at this Sitta Front Sprocket for 520 chain conversion, I think they are very beautifully machined :love::

IMG_3272.JPG

But wait the REAR Sitta Sprocket is even prettier πŸ₯°:

IMG_3273.JPG

Initially, I want to find a Quick Change Sprocket like the one in my current bike, however Sitta did not produce a Quick Change Sprocket for 998, and I was considering STM version, however, they only come in black color, and I would like to have more color palette for the rear sprocket so I decided to just stick with non quick change sprocket but choose Sitta.
I only see it in picture, and never see it in person, so was so pleasantly surprise to see the color, the logo and all the marking on it (and of course the machining design)... Below are more pictures to show the details:

IMG_3274.JPGIMG_3275.JPG

The stock Ducati 999s engine has 15T front sprocket and 36T rear sprocket. I decided to keep the front sprocket the same at 15T, but increase the rear sprocket to 42T. I could use 14T front sprocket and have the rear sprocket to 39T and save some weight, but I don't want to burden the 520 chain with more tension due to smaller 14T front sprocket,
beside I love the larger size rear sprocket, especially since the Sitta Rear Sprocket looks good (on picture, and now looks even nicer in real life) 😎

I also received the CNC Racing tools to took out the dry clutch and also Motocorse Titanium Oil Plug for 999S (yes 999S engineπŸ˜‰)
IMG_3277.JPGIMG_3271.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
More parts arrived today 😁:

Titanium DZUS Fasteners by Podium Racing, 14pcs kit to replace the stock zinc plate fasteners:
IMG_3316.JPG IMG_3319.JPG

The Billet Aluminum Fuel Pump Nut to replace the stock plastic version:
IMG_3317.JPG

A New Old Stock part from Ducati to lock helmet 😎, yes this part might look non important, but I want to have everything that came with the bike when it is new and this part is no longer available (no longer in production) from Ducati.
I am quite lucky to stumble on it. This will be used on the upgraded rear subframe lower cover in Carbon Fiber from 998R (you know the Superleggera version of the 998 long long time ago ;)):
IMG_3318.JPG

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
The anticipation waiting for the bike to arrive is huge haha

Just Finished watching these ones - you might have seen it already but another good reference if need be!

BMW Alpina

Staff member
The anticipation waiting for the bike to arrive is huge haha

Just Finished watching these ones - you might have seen it already but another good reference if need be!

Thanks Andy πŸ˜ƒ, I am very excited too.
Thanks for the YouTube video link, there are some good tips there.
I just found out another part that I want to buy is no longer available today... it's the AELLA billet front sprocket cover (no longer in production)...
hopefully I can find a used one someday...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Corsa Garage Billet Clutch Cover/Guard arrived today along with Corsa Garage TITANIUM Seat Pin (to replace the stock plastic pin that prone to break):

IMG_3379.JPGIMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

I also ordered a Chrome Plated Brass Quick Disconnect Fuel Line with VITON O-Ring to replace the stock factory plastic version that prone to break and could cause fire if break during driving (pour water on top of hot engine) and they just arrived today:
IMG_3378.JPG

I also ordered more than $11,000 worth of parts this past few days and hopefully they will arrive in the next coming weeks (or months for some rare parts), so stay tune everyone πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘
Actually, I still have over $15,000 more worth of parts that I have not ordered... my wallet need a breather valve πŸ˜…
Plus the extra cost for head flow porting, crankshaft lightening, cylinder boring and nikasil coating, magnesium color painting (if I can't find a real magnesium engine parts since they are almost impossible to find in decent conditions by now), dyno tuning, etc... which I will outsource to the expert ;)
Oh, and I forgot, I still need to buy the bike... πŸ˜‡

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Another thing that arrived from Mick Boasman at Bike Sport Development (BSD) UK beside my custom left side Panigale V4 switches are...
The upgraded Magneti Marelli IWP189 injectors originally for Ducati 1098R that I will use for my 999S big bore engine project.
The different is this IWP189 injector have 12 micro holes (shower) while the original injector from 999S was just a single hole.
Mick ran out of a new injectors set. He initially offered me a used but good (and balanced flow) injectors that he will utrasonic clean but since I only want to purchase a new injectors, Mick right away order some brand new sets from Magneti Marelli in Italy for me so I can save cost compare to buying this injectors from Ducati (with the Ducati mark up).
Thanks so much to Mick for his help again, and here are the pictures, (pay attention to the pictures that show the 12 micro holes):

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3409.JPGIMG_3408.JPG

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
I am actually looking to upgrade my injectors on my Hypermotard but not sure what to go with. I believe I'm having issues with the front one so why not upgrade at that time. You parts list is really coming together. I can't wait to see the build progress.