Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
This thing is going to be absolutely incredible!
Thank you so much for your kind encouragement HKMP7 :love:

By the way, one more parts arrive late today,...
It is the no longer available Ducati Performance Light Weight Ergal and Adjustable Cam Pulley Kit πŸ§πŸ€“πŸ₯³

This cam pulley kit will fit 996R, 998. 749 and 999, but it also fit 998RS (yes the RS) 😎
It is a used kit because a new kit is no longer available, but in very very good condition. I almost purchased a brand new kit from KBike which I heard actually lighter, however, at the last minute, I found this kit from Ducati Performance,
and I rather have the Ducati Performance kit eventhough it might not be the lightest out there πŸ˜‰

IMG_3641.JPGIMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3643.JPGIMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3645.JPGIMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3649.JPGIMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3651.JPGIMG_3654.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
agree 100% (y)
Thank you so much Craig :love:,

and yet parts keep flowing in 🀩 :

KBike Titanium Camshaft Holder Stud:
IMG_3668.JPG

KBike Titanium Adjustable Pulley Washer:
IMG_3669.JPG

Another KBike Titanium Washer for the timing belt divider pulley:
IMG_3670.JPG

KBike Titanium Bolts for tension pulley:
IMG_3671.JPG

KBike around 800 grams Lightweight Steel Flywheel (this is the 2nd lightest version). The lightest version is 570grams something... but I worry it will be too light making the bike jerky to ride at low speed, easy to stall, hard to idle and hard to start...
so I settle for the 2nd lightest version πŸ˜‡
IMG_3675.JPG

Aella Titanium Washer for engine mounting bolts:
IMG_3672.JPG

Oberon GIANT (look at the size compare to my keyboard :ROFLMAO:) clutch basket holding tool:
IMG_3673.JPG

Speedymoto BILLET water pump cover, I choose RED because it will be part of ITALIAN Flag Color Theme (well it will be hidden behind the fairings but... I know it's there ;)):
IMG_3674.JPG

And the most nicely surprising of all is this Rizoma Handle Bar Grips because as you can see on the picture below (and on the internet picture), it looks "ordinary" nothing special, however
in REAL WORLD, they look VERY SPECIAL, so I am so happy I took a gamble and buy this (well because I have so much rewards point that I just need to spend it on something πŸ€ͺ).
Now, I am hoping it will be compatible with Ducati stock right throttle control.
IMG_3665.JPGIMG_3666.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
OK, so finally after a lengthy "discussion" I was able to pay the bike that I purchased last week 🀩

It is a 2002 Ducati 998 (base NOT S) first because the only S version available in the US at that time was the Bayliss/Bostorm.
Since the beginning of this year, I had been trying to purchase a 2004 998s Final Edition from several dealers and private owners, however, most of them was priced "ahem" far above market.
From a $25k (before tax and license) without manual books and 0 miles but unknown engine condition to a salvage title with painted tank, some fairings missing, and it's a biposto (which I never heard a US bike come in Biposto so could be black market salvage from EU) that was asking for $9k.
and anything in between.

Finally my patient run thin and I found out about this 2002 998 in stock condition except a slip-on exhaust and the owner still have the stock exhaust too ;)
My logic in buying a 2002 998 instead of the real deal 2004 998s FE are:
a. The US version of 2004 998s FE has the low sump stock 998 engine making much less horsepower than the US version. And since I am NOT happy with this and will swap the engine with a BIG BORE 1043cc 2005 999S engine anyway, well. I don't need to purchase the 2004 998s FE
b. I always one a 0 mile 2004 998s FE because I want the finish of the paint to be flawless, but that is impossible since a 0 mile bike that had been sitting for 17 years, for sure will not have a perfect paint, and the only way to get a PERFECT paint is to purchase a brand new fairings and tanks.
So, since I am able to save a lot of money by buying the 2002 998 used bike, then I can use that differences to buy a BRAND NEW FULL SET of 2004 998s Final Edition Fairings and Gas Tanks. Also all the switch, throttle hand grip, key even user manual. This will make my bike really look like a 0 miles bike.
Ups, I forgot, I also ordered a brand new DASHBOARD in Kph (because it show 300kph on the speedometer) along with the Tachometer set. This will make it show 0 miles πŸ€ͺ
I will also order all the front headlight and rear taillight and later a new Marchesini wheels.
So, when I am finished, my bike will looks better (like a brand new bike), have much more engine performance, than a 2004 998s Final Edition be it US or EU version will be,
with upgraded front Ohlins forks and rear Ohlins Shocks, the triple clamps and ALL braking components too, plus of course some Motocorse parts here and there plus ProTi Titanium Bolts (in Silver Titanium) everywhere possible, you know ALA DUCATImodified crew :cool:

That is why, I decided, for my application, it is better to buy the used 2002 Ducati 998. Now it will still be more than a month before the 998 arrived at my home due to lack of available truck to transport it,
but... in the meantime, I have time to do all the preparation oh.. and I still have much more works to do on my Ducati Panigale V4 25Β° Anniversario 916 πŸ₯³

Wait, I need to "MODIFIED" the name of this thread to add the word "REPLICA" just to be transparent πŸ˜‡

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
NEW BIKE DAY! (Well, when it arrives) Congratulations Howard πŸ‘πŸ»
Im feeling sentimental of day I paid for my 1299 and had to wait 2 weeks to get it delivered to me. So much anticipation but more than worth the wait when it arrived 😁

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Few shipments arrive together today 😁:

First, the WARNING letter to make sure the owner remember that this HC (HIGH COMPRESSION) will require a DIFFERENT COLDER SPARK PLUG and since this is a BIG BORE piston, with thinner cylinder wall, a thicker oil is required along with information on how to assemble :cool:
IMG_3722.JPG IMG_3721.JPG

I always wonder how a FORGED BIG BORE Pistal HC Piston would look like in real life... well now I know :love:, but lets stat with the unboxing:
IMG_3720.JPGIMG_3723.JPG

Half Open and out of the box:
IMG_3724.JPGIMG_3725.JPG

And there she is, so sexy 😘πŸ₯°πŸ₯³:
IMG_3726.JPGIMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPGIMG_3729.JPG

Now, this is a special cooper cylinder head gasket for the 102mm bigger bore Pistal Piston:
IMG_3718.JPGIMG_3719.JPG

Then, the Ohlins steering damper like the 998S since the 998 I purchased came with Showa steering damper:
IMG_3717.JPGIMG_3715.JPG

And how about Ducati 999s original Carbon Fiber Side Timing Belt Cover with INTAKE and filter housing, yes, it has it's own intake and filter housing, although I don't think the foam filter for it is still available πŸ˜…
This is a used parts so I will send it to be painted with matte clear coat to make it look new and more modern 🀩

IMG_3736.JPGIMG_3737.JPG

IMG_3738.JPGIMG_3740.JPG

IMG_3739.JPGIMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

continue below:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
IMG_3743.JPGIMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3746.JPGIMG_3745.JPG

and last, used 999s Manifold, however, I am disappointed to find out that the size is 45mm... although the part number is correct that this is for the deep sump 999S and also the 999R engine... I guess those bike use a smaller stock exhaust manifold... come to think of it, I think the 998 manifold might be larger.... I will check later when I have time... hmmm....
but I bought this to use the "flange" part of it anyway if I need to made a custom exhaust... so if I can't use it then it destined to be a display piece πŸ€ͺ:
IMG_3730.JPGIMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPGIMG_3734.JPG

The oval size is 55.54mm though:
IMG_3733.JPGIMG_3735.JPG

Last edited:

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
When I was a wee lil boy I dreamed of a build like this. I approve of the selection of parts and direction. "Pistal pistons"!!! Brings back so many good memories.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
When I was a wee lil boy I dreamed of a build like this. I approve of the selection of parts and direction. "Pistal pistons"!!! Brings back so many good memories.
Thanks HKMP7,
I am doing this to realized my youth dream too 😁
After this, I need to put a stop on this "mid-life crisis" insanity of mine, at least that is what I promised myself last time when I started the Panigale V4 25Β° Anniversario 916 build πŸ€ͺ

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Today, I received another part from eBay UK...
So, the UK early version of Ducati 916, 996 have the left hand switch to turn off day time running light (for UK market only). but not rest of world...
It is very hard to find this left hand switch that is still in good condition, but I found one 😁 and it is the early 916 version with the word HORN on the horn button, while the newer version have trumpet symbol...
I like word better than symbol πŸ€ͺ

It looks almost new... and while at it I also purchase the right hand switch just in case the right hand switch that came with my bike is worn by UV rays (color fading):

IMG_3784.JPGIMG_3785.JPG

nothing too exciting arrived this past few days, however,....
I found SEVERAL BRAND NEW OLD STOCK parts that is no longer available from Ducati last weekend and managed to purchased all of them....
Especially one very special TITANIUM parts made by a very famous racing company in brand new condition (never used) .... I will post it here as soon as it arrived...
Heck, even when this part is still in production,... not much people buy it because it is just a... well tube with screw and it cost almost $1k brand new at that time (well I actually pay more than $1k for mine since... I really want it and there is none available anywhere in the world)...
In fact the last time I saw someone selling it was maybe 5 or 10 years ago...

I also have another twist that might change a major direction to this build but can't confirm for now until end of next week...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Today,... the very very very special TITANIUM parts that is no longer available everywhere arrived, ... well some online shop still listed as available, but I highly doubt they are since another store had asked directly to the manufacturer and told not available.... πŸ˜‰

What's great is, this is a BRAND NEW OLD STOCK that seller was keeping in his cabinet for years. πŸ˜ƒ

Here it is the FULL Titanium (because there is a half aluminum/half titanium version) but this one is FULL Titanium NCR Ride Height Adjuster 🀩 :love:πŸ₯³πŸ˜˜πŸ₯°:
IMG_3814.JPGIMG_3818.JPG

This thing is really GORGEOUS when you hold and look in real life:
IMG_3815.JPGIMG_3816.JPG

It is also BIGGER than the picture show, so I will use a Sharpie as comparison to give perspective on the size, yap, that is how large it is 🧐:
IMG_3819.JPG

The quality join:
IMG_3817.JPG

And this is much less exciting than an NCR Titanium Ride Height Adjuster, but an update is an update πŸ€ͺ so the other update today is that I also received my BMC oil/cleaner kit for the upcoming BMC air filter:
IMG_3812.JPGIMG_3813.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
998 project weekend update:

I purchase this 999 (yes 999) radiator just so I can measure the locations of the mounting tabs for the dual electric fans:
IMG_3833.JPG

Below are the diagrams of the mounting tabs locations that I just submitted to the manufacturer of my custom radiator in Italy 🀩:
IMG_3886.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Ok, so more parts arrived today πŸ₯³:

First, how about a BRAND NEW OLD STOCK 748RS yes not S or R but RS model :cool: :
IMG_3936.JPGIMG_3935.JPG

To be transparent, the 748RS swing arm is the same length swing arm as the 998, however, I want to replace as much wear and tear parts on my bike to a brand new parts as possible, and since this is a 748RS model swing arm... it just make it a bit more special ;):
IMG_3931.JPGIMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3933.JPGIMG_3934.JPG

IMG_3937.JPGIMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

Then pair it with a brand new AXLE with new bearing too:
IMG_3940.JPGIMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3941.JPGIMG_3943.JPG

Notice this is also NEW OLD STOCK based on the OLD CAGIVA cartoon box:
IMG_3945.JPGIMG_3942.JPG

After this, how about... a Brand New 999 Clutch Cover? So I don't have to repaint my old clutch cover, don't have to change the oil level window and most importantly don't have to change the seal:
IMG_3915.JPGIMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3917.JPGIMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPGIMG_3923.JPG

Continue below....

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Just small update:

I bought this Carbon Fiber Heat Shield for the Termignoni exhaust maybe a month ago, but I never thought of test fit it to make sure it has the right mounting hole spacing because the 916/996/998 have many different heat guard version... and I am so glad that it fit perfectly πŸ˜…πŸ˜‡
IMG_3992.JPGIMG_3993.JPG
IMG_3994.JPG

Also, the SpeedyMoto SMALL Axle Nut for Wheel and Sprocket side nut tool finally arrived...
Please note this is a rare tool because it is for 12 points nut while most available tools are for 6 points nut...

IMG_4001.JPGIMG_4002.JPG

There will be a lot of parts arriving next week (hopefully) and I will update more as soon as they arrived 😁

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Mr. (or maybe Miss Postwoman) Postman deliver several stuff for the 998s FE project today 😁:

Corsa Garage Carbon Fiber Heat Guard and Heel Guard combo:
IMG_4065.JPG

Podium Racing Billet and Reversible Gear Lever:
IMG_4066.JPG

Last, from Europe and I hope this is really correct for 998 since I never since anyone made this or sell this anywhere πŸ˜…
IMG_4067.JPGIMG_4068.JPG
If this is not for 998, then it could be for 999 to utilize 998 rear set... but I guess we will see when I test fit it on the 998 in the next few weeks πŸ˜‡

Oh, my 998 is currently on the transporter truck from NY, hope to arrive in California by the end of this month 😎🀩

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Largest value of parts so far arrived today πŸ₯³:

Just look at that box and compare it with my bike (or my puppy), it is really a big box :ROFLMAO::
IMG_4084.JPG

Start with Brand New Lower Right fairing and New Lower Left Fairing:
IMG_4086.JPGIMG_4087.JPG

Then... wait a minute... another Left Lower Fairing... why double?
IMG_4110.JPG

Well.... turn out there is a mistake... the seller mistakenly ship to me 2 lower left fairing but missing one Left upper fairing πŸ₯΄, just look at this picture below:
IMG_4111.JPG

Well, you know, life is always full of challenge... just need to handle it wisely so, just contacting the seller... I won't even ask for a return... just for them to make sure I got store credit since the price of the missing upper fairing is more expensive than the lower fairing...
But in the meantime, let's enjoy the correct BRAND NEW Right Upper Fairing... "FINAL EDITION" it says ;)
IMG_4108.JPGIMG_4109.JPG

Ok, my wife is calling me to eat my dinner so I will post much much more ALL BRAND NEWW parts in about 1 hour 🀩πŸ₯³

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Ok, I am back... and now...
Brand New front fairings:
IMG_4089.JPGIMG_4090.JPG

and Brand New Windshield:
IMG_4097.JPGIMG_4088.JPG

Brand new Front mudguard:
IMG_4091.JPG

Brand new Tail Fairings specific for 998s FE and yes, we know Ducati Campione Del Mondo Superbike 😍😎:
IMG_4092.JPGIMG_4093.JPG

More sexy tail fairings:
IMG_4094.JPGIMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

Brand new seat specific for 998s FE with Ducati logo embossed:
IMG_4101.JPGIMG_4102.JPG

Ducati Performance Carbon Fiber Dry Clutch Cover, I am undecided whether to use this one or the Corsa Garage billet aluminum version, but I am following @HKMP7 footstep to always be ready with several dry clutch cover to suit different mood or occasion πŸ˜‰:
IMG_4104.JPGIMG_4105.JPG

Brand New lower V cover:
IMG_4106.JPGIMG_4107.JPG

And since I was undecided which one looks better, I also buy the Carbon Fiber version, however I must say that the quality of this carbon fiber of the 998 generation is not as good as the current Panigale V4 dry carbon quality...
These older carbon fiber is thicker, heavier and the finish is just not perfect like the current carbon fiber... but I plan to refinish them in Satin Clear Coat anyway so... irrelevant 😌 :
IMG_4100.JPGIMG_4098.JPG

IMG_4099.JPG

Original Brand New Owner's Manual for both 998s Final Edition and also for regular 998:
IMG_4119.JPGIMG_4122.JPG

Continue below:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Some older Ducati sticker for the front fairing of Ducati 916 (yes the original 916):

IMG_4121.JPG

Tank Protector:
IMG_4114.JPG

Brand New Key Set (Ignition, Gas tank and Seat) because I don't want to see scratches ignition key holes 🧐:
IMG_4117.JPG

Brand New Red Painted 998s spect rear view mirrors:
IMG_4115.JPGIMG_4116.JPG

Brand new throttle and grip set:
IMG_4118.JPG

Some extra hardwares:
IMG_4120.JPG

Brand new tool kit:
IMG_4123.JPGIMG_4124.JPG

Brand new speedometer gear and cable:
IMG_4112.JPGIMG_4113.JPG

And last but not least πŸ₯³:
Brand new full dashboard set with the speedometer in Km/hour so it show 280 πŸ€ͺ and only 1 kilometers on the speedometer for that "extra" brand new feeling πŸ˜‡:
IMG_4127.JPGIMG_4128.JPG

That is it for today... phew... I felt so excited now, can't wait to have them installed 😎