Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
For the 998, I also had some progress to share:
I am installing my 996RS Large Crankcase Breather Box, fresh from satin matte re-finish to make it look modern, with some extra decal for "racing theme" :cool::
IMG_2012.JPG

But first I need to take out some of the Motocorse Exhaust piping for clearance:
IMG_2013.JPG

Installed to the rear sub-frame:
IMG_2014.JPGIMG_2015.JPG

All ProTi Titanium Bolt as usual, with added black aluminum spacer for clearance:
IMG_2016.JPG

Even the bottom part looks sexy with Ducati and Ohlins decal:
IMG_2017.JPGIMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

From the left side:
IMG_2018.JPGIMG_2019.JPG

Next, I am installing the Carbon Fiber rear swingarm protector, first taking out the nylon chain guard and also function as BEFORE looks, and the right is the AFTER look:
IMG_2022.JPGIMG_2023.JPG

More pictures:
IMG_2024.JPGIMG_2025.JPG

IMG_2026.JPGIMG_2027.JPG

IMG_2028.JPGIMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2030.JPGIMG_2032.JPG

Yes, it's PERFECT :cool:.

Ducabike998

For the 998, I also had some progress to share:
I am installing my 996RS Large Crankcase Breather Box, fresh from satin matte re-finish to make it look modern, with some extra decal for "racing theme" :cool::
View attachment 12837

But first I need to take out some of the Motocorse Exhaust piping for clearance:
View attachment 12838

Installed to the rear sub-frame:
View attachment 12839View attachment 12840

All ProTi Titanium Bolt as usual, with added black aluminum spacer for clearance:
View attachment 12841

Even the bottom part looks sexy with Ducati and Ohlins decal:
View attachment 12842View attachment 12843

View attachment 12844

From the left side:
View attachment 12845View attachment 12846

Next, I am installing the Carbon Fiber rear swingarm protector, first taking out the nylon chain guard and also function as BEFORE looks, and the right is the AFTER look:
View attachment 12847View attachment 12848

More pictures:
View attachment 12849View attachment 12850

View attachment 12851View attachment 12852

View attachment 12853View attachment 12854

View attachment 12855View attachment 12856

Yes, it's PERFECT :cool:.
Looking bad ass!

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Looking bad ass!
That looks amazing.
Thank You so much @Ducabike998 and @HKMP7 :D

The 2mm machined Brake Rotor spacer arrived, they are made from super strong 7075-T6 aluminum:
IMG_2146.JPG

So it's time to take out this cheap low-quality generic "ROUND" aluminum spacer that I have been using, and you can see the BEFORE (left picture) and AFTER (right picture) below:
IMG_2148.JPGIMG_2149.JPG

Yes, the STAR Shaped spacer looks so much nicer like it came from Marchesini:
IMG_2150.JPGIMG_2151.JPG

By the way, SEVERAL different TITANIUM Spacers for the AXLE also arrive. The first cross drilled Spacer is from RaceTech Titanium with thickness of 3mm. However it's outer diameter is too large and will drag with the bearing inner race.
Beside I need the total thickness to be 5mm, but no worry, the second spacer also Titanium with 2mm thickness not only allow it to have a combine thickness of 5mm but also space it out so the RaceTech Titanium spacer will NOT drag the wheel bearing outer race.

I also have another choice, the third spacer is also Titanium and have thickness of 5mm. Unfortunately, it's outer diameter is not large enough so it will not spread the load evenly to the wheel bearing inner race so I rather not use it.

The last (most right) spacer is the Stainless Steel that I had been using, which is perfect but unfortunately NOT Titanium so off it go:
IMG_2152.JPG

Picture below is when I use the Stainless Steel:
IMG_2153.JPG

Picture below when I test fit the 5mm Thickness Titanium Spacer but you can see the outer diameter is too small compare to the inner bearing race diameter:
IMG_2154.JPG

This picture below is the 2mm Titanium Spacer, perfectly match the inner bearing but of course need another 3mm of thickness to make the total 5mm:
IMG_2155.JPG

And with the addition of the 3mm TITANIUM spacer from RaceTech Titanium with cross-drilled surface, everything PERFECT:
IMG_2156.JPGIMG_2157.JPG

Heck, it even completely covers the ceramic bearing making it look much nicer, 3 pictures below after install everything back to the forks:
IMG_2158.JPGIMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

So now I can measure whether the Disk Brake CNC machined rotor able to center the rotor perfectly between the brake pads.
Unfortunately, for the LEFT caliper, it did not, so I need to machine a thicker 3.3mm brake rotor spacer, and it will take until end of month before I receive it:
IMG_2246.JPGIMG_2247.JPG

The right rotor though is much better, but I will still going to machine a new 2.5mm (0.5mm thicker) to make it perfect. Yes, turns out left and right spacer thickness is different.
I believe this must be because of the production tolerance of the Motocorse Lower Billet Fork Bottom:
IMG_2244.JPGIMG_2243.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Also, I have 4 pieces of Custom CNC machined TITANIUM Washers arrived, this is to spaced out the Motocorse Titanium 108mm bolts kit that is about 2mm too long since I am using a 320mm rotor for this 998 instead of the original design of 330mm rotor for Panigale V4S. Please remember I am using the Motocorse Ohlins fork bottoms originally design for Panigale V4S.
IMG_2222.JPG

This Washer will be right below the hat of the Motocorse Titanium Bolt and below it will be another Titanium Washers from AELLA with special lips to help center the bolts to the caliper hole, just like in the picture below:
IMG_2242.JPG

Below show the GAP that will be covered with these 4 custom machined TITANIUM washers:
IMG_2241.JPG

After using these 4 custom TITANIUM washers, now no more gap:
IMG_2245.JPGIMG_2248.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi All,

I was so busy this weekend working on some papers, but the previous week I managed to be quite productive and here they are:
That is the Melooti Racing License Plate Bracket for Ducat 1198, further modified with all ProTi Titanium Hardware:
IMG_2315.JPG

Then I am adding Rizoma LED turn signal of course hold with Titanium Washers and Nuts from ProBolt (the ProTi version is too big so it doesn't look as harmonious as the ProBolt):
IMG_2316.JPGIMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2319.JPGIMG_2320.JPG

Then mounted beneath the Carbon Fiber 996 RS Heat Shield:
IMG_2321.JPG

Running the wiring for the license plate LED light (by Rizoma):
IMG_2322.JPG

More mounted looks:
IMG_2323.JPGIMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2325.JPGIMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

Please pay attention to the picture below, the left is the stock M3 steel bolt to hold the Rizoma LED license plate light which looks OK from further away, but when you look up close, the ProTi Titanium bolt on the right just looks SO MUCH BETTER :love::
and of course both are now replace with the ProTi TORX style Titanium M3 bolt :cool:
IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2328.JPGIMG_2329.JPG

To be continued ;)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Next, is installing the Motocorse Titanium Silencers to see how it will fit the Melotti Racing License Plate Bracket.
First, apply Loctite Nickel AntiSeize:
IMG_2331.JPGIMG_2332.JPG

The Left Silencer CLEAR the Melotti Racing License Plate Bracket (note this license plate bracket is for 1198 that I modified to fit my 998):
IMG_2333.JPGIMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2340.JPGIMG_2336.JPG

Now the right Silencer:
IMG_2342.JPGIMG_2344.JPG

I think they look amazing :love:, and here is the back view, yes the Melotti Racing license plate bracket for 1198 fit perfectly for this setup:
IMG_2346.JPGIMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2351.JPGIMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

Then it's time to add Motocorse Titanium mounting bolt to hold the silencers bracket, and yes they were originally for MV Agusta F3, but I take a rough look and believe their thread is the same and turn out they are:
IMG_2348.JPGIMG_2349.JPG

IMG_2356.JPGIMG_2357.JPG

Notice the top is Motocorse Aluminum bolt plug that I combined with ProTi Titanium Bolt while the bottom bolt, is the Motocorse Titanium Bolt for MV Agusta F3 exhaust:
IMG_2359.JPGIMG_2358.JPG

More updates soon...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Next is Grinding out the cutout on the carbon fiber heat shield/breather tank to allow for the screw that holds the silencer brackets.

IMG_2364.JPGIMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2367.JPGIMG_2371.JPG

and the other side too:
IMG_2372.JPGIMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2375.JPGIMG_2380.JPG

Then I need to replace some shorter spacers so this heat shield will clear the 60.5mm super large Motocorse Titanium Exhaust (it was touching the exhaust pipe):
IMG_2381.JPG

I also add some spacers to space OUT the exhaust pipe away to the outside of the bike a bit but not too much because it will hit the right rear set:
IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

Its clear the exhaust pipe now, but I decided I will grind out the heat shield a bit just to make sure:
IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

But before I do that, I install the heat shield GREEN Washer from Ducati behind the triangle carbon fiber exhaust heat shield, and add Motocorse Titanium Bolt, and as usual, it's Motocorse :love::
IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPGIMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

More updates later...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
The next thing I did was test fit the Motocorse 1198 rear set and its adapter to fit the 998 bolt rear set spacing (the part painted in Red Anodize Color).

First the right (rear brake) side:
This can be seen by the DUAL stack of aluminum spacers in the picture below.
The First Stack so the MS Production Carbon Fiber Exhaust Heat Guard can clear the giant 60.5mm Motocorse Exhaust pipe.
The Second Stack of the aluminum spacer is for the red anodized rear set adapter to clear the MS Production Carbon Fiber Exhaust Heat Guard.
IMG_2397.JPG

Well the looks speaks for it self 🥰, I think I keep fallin in love 😍😍:
IMG_2398.JPGIMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2401.JPGIMG_2402.JPG

Now time to work on the Gear (Left Side):
Aluminum Spacers also needed so the Red Anodized Painted Adapter can clear the MS Production Heel Guard:
IMG_2416.JPGIMG_2415.JPG

And of course, it also looks marvelous (those gold ProTi Titanium Bolts will be replace with a Silver Titanium Color, I just using it for this test fit):
IMG_2412.JPGIMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2413.JPGIMG_2414.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
That matte looks insane.
Really makes it look more modern..
Great job.
Thanks so much for your kind compliment @HKMP7 , I am glad you introduced me to Spooky Fast Painting Shop, they really did an amazing jobs 😃

Next, I test fit Podium Racing Billet Gear Lever so I can measure the length of the gear shift rod that I need to purchase:
IMG_2465.JPGIMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

The above was done before Thanksgiving holiday, and Podium Racing is so fast with shipping me their Titanium Shift Rod which is already arrive:
IMG_2620.JPGIMG_2621.JPG

I then move to the right side of the bike, and trying to figure out how to mount the Motocorse Billet Rear Brake Fluid Reservoir, and I suddenly realized, the NCR front mudguard bracket might be a good fit:
IMG_2479.JPGIMG_2480.JPG
IMG_2482.JPG

And it is PERFECT, so this is how it going to look, yap it will look like the Motocorse Rear Brake Reservoir is "floating" in the air 😍, but for now, I am ordering an extra set of this NCR bracket from Forza Moto France and it is on it's way as we speak:
IMG_2481.JPGIMG_2483.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I test-fit the NCR front mudguard adapter to the Motocorse fork bottom and they work, but I just have to drill more holes since the hole spacing of the Motocorse fork bottom adapter to the front mudguard is closer than the available holes of the NCR adapter:

IMG_2495.JPGIMG_2494.JPG

The hole spacing for the 2 holes that hold to the Ducati OEM Genuine 998 Front Mudguard fit perfectly, so I was able to test mount the front mudguard.
They do need some spacers though:
IMG_2492.JPG

I am planning to use the Red Painted stock plastic (brand new) instead of Carbon Fiber since I just like the painted Red mudguard better for 998. At least for now, but I might change my mind in the future...
IMG_2485.JPGIMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2486.JPGIMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2489.JPGIMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

And to drill this NCR adapter, I bought a Drill Stand which arrived from Amazon:
IMG_2638.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
The 998 still use mechanical speedometer gear and due to the Motocorse fork bottom, the threaded portion now pointing down which mean the original speedometer cable no longer long enough:

IMG_2503.JPGIMG_2496.JPG

Initially, I was planning to custom order speedometer cable and had contacted some custom speedometer cable makers, but they were not able to replicate the looks of the original Ducati OEM speedometer cable,
so I decided to find the equivalent but longer from either Yamaha or KTM and I find the ideal version from KTM. I ordered it, and it's on its way.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
It's now time to test fit the Rear Brake Master Cylinder bracket and Brake Lever from the Motocorse 1198 Rear Set Kit.
Please note that I am re-using the Brembo Rear Brake Master Cylinder from my Panigale V4S 916 25 Anniversario.
I also use Podium Racing TITANIUM Pivot Bolt for the brake lever:

IMG_2606.JPGIMG_2607.JPG

Test mount on the engine crankcase:
IMG_2608.JPGIMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

Then I realized I still needed to choose the return helper spring. I do have several choices from using the stock 998 return helper spring to the more modern inline helper spring.
IMG_2611.JPG

However, after the test fitting, I found out the stock 998 helper spring will not work with the 1198 brake lever !!!, so I need to modify it using the parts I have in the pictures above and make it an INLINE helper spring.

Well, first, I need to add M8 to the M6 thread adapter
IMG_2612.JPGIMG_2613.JPG

Then I add ProTi M6 Locking Nut:
IMG_2614.JPG

Next the Rose Joint:
IMG_2615.JPG

Then I add the stock Panigale V4S special nut to hold the inline helper return spring:
IMG_2616.JPG

Then I add the stock Panigale V4S inline helper spring:
IMG_2617.JPG

And that is how it is going to be connected to the Motocorse 1198 Brake Lever:
IMG_2618.JPG

Now, I just need to install some spacers to make the whole assembly a bit offset out since the rear set was offset out a lot to clear the 60.5mm Motocorse exhaust.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Last week, I drilled my NCR billet front mudguard bracket so the mounting holes match the Motocorse Billet Fork Bottom.
I was using my new drill stand to do this:
IMG_2755.JPGIMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

Basically I am adding a middle througholes:
IMG_2760.JPGIMG_2761.JPG

And now they fit perfectly with the Motocorse Fork Bottom:
IMG_2758.JPGIMG_2759.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Oh, 2 small things that I forgot...

My son painted the back of this Ducati Original 1198 Carbon Heelguard with black paint because it show the barcode (original from Ducati) but in terrible condition since this was new old stock, so better just paint it black:
IMG_2640.JPG

And the custom thickness spacer (different thickness left and right) for the T-Drive rotor just arrived:
IMG_2639.JPG

Plus tons of aluminum spacers also arrived:
IMG_2641.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Another NCR front fender brackets I ordered from Forza Moto in France arrived, however, they were both the right side, but Kevin from Forza Moto just told me today, he will send me the left side and I also will return this 1 mistakenly send back to Kevin.

IMG_2791.JPG

Oh, I also bought this NCR gear shift lever rod, but unfortunately it a bit long for my 998 with Motocorse 1198 rear set, so I will just keep it for future use, its NCR after all, so it's kinda historic item:
IMG_2792.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Ok, here is a pair of spacer but this time it's for the 998, (6 holes meaning for older Ducati). It's made from 7075-T6 with Clear Anodized finish, to kinda blend with the Silver Marchesini Wheel:
IMG_2801.JPG

I custom order different thicknesses, 2mm for the right side and 3.2 mm for the left side:
IMG_2798.JPGIMG_2799.JPG

These 2 pictures are BEFORE the new spacers and as you can see the disk brake rotor was not centered:
IMG_2796.JPGIMG_2797.JPG

The most important side is the left side since there is the GEAR mechanism for the old style speedometer. I placed the thicker spacer on the Marchesini wheel shown in the picture below:
IMG_2800.JPG

Then I add the Speedometer Gear on top, unfortunately, the already Low Profile ProTi Titanium bolts will still RUB the speedometer gear, so my plan is to slightly dremel the plastic housing of the speedometer gear later. Then I tightened the disk brake rotor further and install the whole front wheel to the bike:
IMG_2802.JPGIMG_2803.JPG

And now both rotors centered very well within the brake pads both left and right calipers:
IMG_2806.JPGIMG_2808.JPG

So I rotate the wheel to see how bad is the rub between the ProTi bolt's head to the black speedometer gear and to my suprise, NO RUBBING at all. It barely cleared... so this must be because I tightened the front rotor further causing the head of the ProTi bolt to sunk further inside and just enough to clear the black speedometer gear :ROFLMAO:
Well... looks like it's PERFECT after all :cool:

Here how they look, yes, very very tiny clearance but just enough:
IMG_2809.JPGIMG_2810.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I finally have a chance to work on my bike again today,
Starting with this 998:

I am replacing the Stainless Steel Nut on the Motocorse Titanium Exhaust Flange with ProTi Titanium Nut.
The first picture below show comparison between the stainless steel nut (top) and ProTi Titanium Nut below:
IMG_3041.JPG

Then replace all the nuts (use Loctite Nickel Anti-Seize) and tightened to 10Nm, both front and rear cylinder:
IMG_3042.JPG
IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

Then I install the Colder 999R Spark Plug (brand new of course):
IMG_3046.JPGIMG_3047.JPG

Add Loctite Nickel Anti-Seize to the thread:
IMG_3048.JPG

Then use my trusty 5/8" spark plug tool:
IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3051.JPGIMG_3052.JPG

Only to find out that this Colder Spark Plug need an even thinner wall tool, that even the stock Ducati spark plug tool for this bike is too thick too:
IMG_3053.JPGIMG_3054.JPG

So I am currently buying a thinner wall tools and need to wait until it arrive before I can torque the spark plug.