V4s from street to track

Duc_tmmc

Hi Tiago,

I just noticed you haven't use a dashboard protector, and most likely you already know about this but in case you haven't,
@Melotti Racing just launch their new dashboard protector for Panigale V4.

I was initially planning to use Melotti Racing dashboard protector but Diego was busy with producing items for racing teams and the project got delayed.
So after waiting for a few months and since I already bought Bonamici Racing dashboard protector long long time ago, I decided to just custom anodized and custom lasermarked the Bonamici Racing dashboard protector that I already had in my possession.

Just looking at Melotti Racing design (and thickness of the aluminum wall) I HONESTLY think the Melotti Racing version of the dashboard protector looks stronger/rugged and will protect your dashboard better than my current Bonamici Racing version.
The Melotti Racing will also a good match for your Melotti Racing Upper Triple clamp πŸ˜€

This is the original picture that Diego sent to me (clear anodized), the pictures on Melotti Racing website is the black anodized version...

When i ordered the tripple clamp they were releasing the dash protector! Its in my list for next year to do things:)(y)

Duc_tmmc

I want to remove the front headlights and replace with headlight track fairing.
Is there any dummy plug/connector? or i can unplug and no error codes will appear?:unsure:

I only can find this kind of dummy plug for the rear lights...

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I want to remove the front headlights and replace with headlight track fairing.
Is there any dummy plug/connector? or i can unplug and no error codes will appear?:unsure:

I only can find this kind of dummy plug for the rear lights...
You just have to plug your tail light wiring (it is actually specifically for the brake light) and the side stand (if you remove the side stand) with the dummy plug.
Ducati only want to detect the most safety related items (like brake light and side stand) but don't check other lighting system. So you can remove front head light (or other lights) without getting any error.

Here are the kits for the tail (brake light) and side stand from Ducati of Omaha.
Panigale V4 Racing Electrical Plugs
I also purchased those kit, out of curiosity a few months ago, below are the pictures of mine πŸ˜€
IMG_9887.JPGIMG_9888.JPG

Duc_tmmc

As i said before, i dont ride at steet and this bike will run only at track, but i love mint condition or very close to that.

So, with winter and some time, this week I'm doing a small paint detail and prepping for next year..

IMG_20201226_163842.jpgIMG_20201226_180042.jpgIMG_20201226_180653.jpgIMG_20201227_183915.jpgIMG_20201227_185528.jpgIMG_20201227_185913.jpg

Once the new lower fairings arrive from painter i'll post some final shots of the result :)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I will think more about this situation! If you come across with solution for this, let me know :)
Regards,
Tiago
Hello Tiago,

Good news, I found the solution for us πŸ˜ƒ:

I purchase this GRADE 5 (same grade as ProTi) from Amazon:
Allied Titanium 0000872, (Pack of 5) 3/8 Inch Fender Washer 0.078 Thick X 1-1/2 Inch Outside Diameter, Grade 5 (Ti-6Al-4V): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

and just arrived today.
IMG_9934.JPG

I was worry that the center hole is slightly smaller for the M10 bolts, but turn out it is PERFECT size:
IMG_9937.JPGIMG_9936.JPG

These are the center hole diameter comparison pictures between the stock steel from Ducati (I painted my stock steel RED Anodized), vs the Titanium washer, so no need for enlarge drilling πŸ§πŸ˜…:
IMG_9941.JPGIMG_9935.JPG

The outside diameter is also the same;
IMG_9942.JPG

How about weight? LESS than HALF of the stock steel πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ŽπŸ₯³:

IMG_9938.JPGIMG_9939.JPG

The only 2 issues are:
The Titanium washer is NOT mirror polished, so you still need to mirror polish them to make them looks nicer πŸ˜‡

The Titanium washer is THINNER than the steel washer, picture below:
IMG_9943.JPG

so I recommend for you to use 2 Titanium Washer stack on top of each other just for the ultimate safety/strength because please remember only a tiny portion of the surface of the washer hold the front sprocket,
I haven't test torque the center sprocket bolt, but I expect with the proper torque, the Titanium Washer might deform and being Titanium they are more brittle compare to steel and more prone to crack.

Even if you use 2 stack of Titanium Washers, they will still be lighter than the stock steel washer, plus... .... ....
IF YOU CROSS DRILLED those Titanium Washer,... well, I am sure you can cut few more grams of weight.

Note: I just measure the thickness of stock washer, and they are about 3.16mm while the Titanium washer is about 2.11mm so 2 Titanium washers stack together only about 1 mm thicker, no problem for the stock bolt (y)πŸ€“

BMW Alpina

Staff member
UPDATE,

I just check the listing again at Amazon and I found this technical drawing of the washers in the listing
71hMX4G+DvL._SL1500_.jpg

and I also realized this is the picture of the washers they post at Amazon:
51tkDYhyooL._SL1500_ (1).jpg

Well, there is a problem here,
The washers that I received were NOT Polished NOR DEBURR/CHAMFER, almost like someone at the factory FORGOT to perform this SECONDARY PROCESS.
(I am familiar with all the term above because I used to work for a global die-casting company)...
So, I just sent an email to Allied Titanium asking about this issue and hopefully the will respond. If not I will RETURN this washer to Amazon...
I mean $51 plus tax for just 5 washers... that is ProTI pricing and better have finished per the Technical Drawing and also picture above !!! 😀😀😀

So....... please hold on from buying these washers at Amazon for now πŸ₯Ά

These are all 5 washers that I received, notice, there are even some black and red sharpie marker on it πŸ₯΄:
IMG_9944.JPG

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
That looks like a standard Fusion360 (or similar) software pic. An image of the specs you input before you run the programs. My guess is that they are either water jet/lazer or press cut and shipped instead of cnc machined. CNC would make the end product look exactly like the Fusion360 image

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
Like this. (Wow, I am horrible at sharing today. This is my 3rd attempt at sharing this and I still did it wrong, uploading the pic seperate)
Screenshot_20201229-175501_Google_resize_59.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
That looks like a standard Fusion360 (or similar) software pic. An image of the specs you input before you run the programs. My guess is that they are either water jet/lazer or press cut and shipped instead of cnc machined. CNC would make the end product look exactly like the Fusion360 image

Awesome finding!:)
Keep us updated (y)
I sent an email to Allied Titanium last night (to their sales dept., customer service dept. and production dept. email addresses). At around midnight pacific time, the sales and customer service dept. sent me a "READ RECEIPT" but they never reply back.
I will wait until tomorrow morning, and if they still did not reply, I will just return the 5 washers through Amazon and asked for refund.

This is disappointing since last night, my younger son already prepared a 3D printed cross-drilled washer to be put on top of those titanium washer as a "TEMPLATE" to cross drilled those Titanium washers
(using the center nut to hold the 3D printed template and 2 stacks of Titanium washer together during drilling):

IMG_9945.JPGIMG_9946.JPG

IMG_9947.JPGIMG_9949.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I still did not received any response from Allied Titanium so I decided to just return the washer to Amazon today.
Because if they can "forget" with performing the secondary operation (polishing and chamfering), heck even on the label it clearly say "POLISHED FIINISH",
what guarantee do I have that this washer is actually the Grade 5 (stronger titanium)? Because Allied Titanium also sell washer in Grade 2 Titanium (weaker) and they might "accidentally" package the grade 2 washer and sell it as Grade 5 to me... who knows???
For this crucial application, I don't want to have failure on the washer because they sent me the wrong grade. Of course this is just me being worried, and it might be the correct Grade 5, but I am not taking any chances.

So, I think what I will do is just used my Red Anodized Painted steel stock washer but use ProTi bolts :)

note: if somehow Allied Titanium reached out to me in January (they might be closed for the holiday) and offer me the correct finished product, of course I will update it here again.

Duc_tmmc

While i was waiting for lower fairings from painter, i've made new victim for a minor detailing.

My beloved helmet got some attention and its ready to face 2021 :)
IMG_20201229_170948.jpgIMG_20201229_171048.jpgIMG_20201229_173144.jpgIMG_20201229_173155.jpgIMG_20201229_173844.jpgIMG_20201229_174148.jpgTrack day set up.jpg

Picked up the new lower fairings today and will install this weekend.. cant wait to see all put together..
Soon more pictures;)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Duc_tmmc,

That is the long neck version of the i-Brid Nano, right? I also plan to buy it so I can learn how to detail my fairing...
However, what do you think should I buy, long neck or short neck? Please keep in mind I am just an amateur and will not be doing this professionally, thus only have budget for 1 model πŸ˜…

Duc_tmmc

Hi Duc_tmmc,

That is the long neck version of the i-Brid Nano, right? I also plan to buy it so I can learn how to detail my fairing...
However, what do you think should I buy, long neck or short neck? Please keep in mind I am just an amateur and will not be doing this professionally, thus only have budget for 1 model πŸ˜…

I also just wanted to buy one version too.
I prefer the long neck to get more to the tight spaces, but i found to use this advantage only couple times.
The machine is very well balanced, but i think the short neck gives more control.