V4s from street to track

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
The V4 is at the shop installing all the extras mentioned above and they sent me this picture:

View attachment 2229

The official map is successfully been installed!:love:
As soon as i have the bike i'll post some more pictures

Hello Duc_tmmc,
Those are very nice and effective upgrades for tracks use (y)
I have a quick question, May I know which map you are using for this upgrade? is it really the official factory Akrapovic map or non factory map?
because your dashboard shows RACING when you turn it on instead of Racing EVO... or maybe because this is the map for the slip-on system?
Thanks

Duc_tmmc

Hello Duc_tmmc,
Those are very nice and effective upgrades for tracks use (y)
I have a quick question, May I know which map you are using for this upgrade? is it really the official factory Akrapovic map or non factory map?
because your dashboard shows RACING when you turn it on instead of Racing EVO... or maybe because this is the map for the slip-on system?
Thanks

Thank you @BMW Alpina !!
All upgrades so far are focused indeed for track:)

This is official map for akrapovic slip on exhaust that i got installed at dealer.
Racing Evo might well be for the full Akra exhaust system or maybe for the software upgrade available : DTC EVO2 - Software for slick - rain tyres

ggok

The ECU map for the slip-on exhaust (DP1) is named D2630U1IABABL1 (Racing)
There are no changes to the BBS mapping.

The ECU map for full-exhaust (DP2) is named D2630U1IABACL1 (Racing EVO)
BBS mapping is also done.

Tuneboy Flash Contitech
CL1 ECU1.png

rexxer MP Tuner
スタンダード.PNG

In the case of EVO2, the mapping name is the same, but the ECU, BBS and DSB (dashboard) have been changed to their own mappings.

HAL9000:D
evo evo.PNG

I have read out the TERMIGNONI T800 system, which appears on the dashboard as Racing pro, and the Rexxer system ECU with a disabled Lambda Sensor, both of which have the mapping name D2630U1IABACL1.

Standard(stock) EU specification D2630U1IABAAL1

ABAL1 Standard.jpg

Standard.jpg

キャプチャ.PNG

Last edited:

Duc_tmmc

Last night i picked up my bike and listened in person for the first time the new sound!!
Its amazing:love::love:

Very happy with the Akra slip on solution(y)

This morning took some pictures of the upgrades stated above!!Very happy with result!!

Here some pics i took today

IMG_20201219_122237.jpgIMG_20201219_121809.jpgIMG_20201219_121940.jpg

I asked to cut the sprocket cover to give a more race look.. think it turned out very cool!! Just need to find drilled washer and titanium bolt to complete the look! Dont like the oem washer and bolt :cautious:
IMG_20201219_121334.jpgIMG_20201218_201850.jpgIMG_20201219_120203.jpgIMG_20201219_123105.jpgIMG_20201219_123729.jpg

With christmas holiday time near will have some spare time to detail the fuel tank paint with minor paint correction and detail some parts that couldn't reach with stock exhaust.
As soon as i complete will post some pictures (y)

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
I asked to cut the sprocket cover to give a more race look.. think it turned out very cool!! Just need to find drilled washer and titanium bolt to complete the look! Dont like the oem washer and bolt :cautious:
Looks awesome I would love to get a new bolt and washer as well let me know if you find a solution.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Last night i picked up my bike and listened in person for the first time the new sound!!
Its amazing:love::love:

Very happy with the Akra slip on solution(y)

This morning took some pictures of the upgrades stated above!!Very happy with result!!

Here some pics i took today

View attachment 2424View attachment 2421View attachment 2422

View attachment 2419View attachment 2416View attachment 2417View attachment 2425View attachment 2426

With christmas holiday time near will have some spare time to detail the fuel tank paint with minor paint correction and detail some parts that couldn't reach with stock exhaust.
As soon as i complete will post some pictures (y)
Hi Duc_tmmc,
Thanks so much for the pictures, and congratulations for the beautiful exhaust 😍
I also just noticed that there are currently 4 person posting Panigale V4 builds on this forum me, @HKMP7 , @Jamin_00 and of course you, and we all using @Melotti Racing Upper Triple Clamp, all with customized laser marking too 😁
I guess, we all have "ahem" great taste 😎🤩🥳

Regarding the Titanium Bolt for the sprocket, I was wary in the past because the current Titanium material and production process available still not allow the titanium bolt to be as strong as Steel Grade 12.9
That is why I did not change this bolt on my bike, and your post made me want to make sure how safe it is.
So to make sure, I just checked my stock bolt and here are the specs:
Turn out the stock bolt is only a Grade 10.9 Steel Bolt (marking stamp on the bolt head and not Grade 12.9.
Here are the dimension M10 x 30mm with 1.25mm pitch and 15.8mm head diameter

The next thing I checked is the Torque to tightened it is 55Nm with Grease B.

Based on all the above information I believe the ProTi Titanium Bolts is strong enough for this critical application.
Here are the reason why I am now confident:
First, ProTi stated on their website that due to their cold forging technique with the 64TI (Ti-6Al-4V) titanium material, (not machining the head of the bolt but forging), they were able to achieve tensile strength of Grade 10.9:
PROTI Fully Forged 64 Titanium Bolts, Panigale,S1000RR,RSV4
and below is the screenshot from their website:
Capture.JPG

Second, I check the recommended maximum safety torque of M10 Bolt from ProTi and they are up to 90Nm so much higher than the needed 55Nm to tighten the bolt as recommended by Ducati Service Manual

Third, I found 2 bolts that will meet the dimension and pitch requirement from ProTi:
a. M10L30-OTB04 which is basically the EXACT Dimension of the stock Ducati bolt since it has 16mm head diameter, screenshot below:
Capture.JPG

b. M10L30-OTB03 which I believe is an even better choice (both looks and spreading the force) because it has an 18mm diameter head which make it looks like a bigger bolt and also spread the clamping force more like an extra 2mm washer:
Capture.JPG

So, Thank You for posting the idea of replacing the bolt with Titanium because it made me do a research for the safety of the bolt.
Having said that, eventhough the tensile strength of the ProTi Titanium Bolt is claimed to be the same than Grade 10.9 steel alloy bolt, but if you used this for track use (meaning extreme force),
I strongly advise for you to replace the bolt every now and then, just to make sure. Because Titanium is more BRITTLE then Steel and that is just the nature of Titanium Material, just to be on the safe side.
OK, time for me to put this ProTi bolt Part# M10L30-OTB03 on the list of my next ProTi batch order that I plan after my exhaust arrived since some bolts on my exhaust will also need some ProTi upgrade too 😁

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I want one too but I was more concerned with the ugly washer lol. @BMW Alpina
Well, again, our brain seemed to operate in the same frequency 😆
I think I found the solution for you, although a bit "compromise"

So, here is the stock washer (well this one is painted by me, but it is the stock washer:
IMG_9866.JPG

As you can see the diameter is 37.11 mm while the thickness is 3.2mm
Now the diameter here play a CRITICAL role because the washer is actually the only piece holding the sprocket in place.
You see, the Sprocket area near outside the shaft had a diameter of 29mm, picture below:
IMG_9867.JPG

While the outside diameter of that "ring" is almost 38mm (37.73mm)
IMG_9868.JPG

And here how the washer stack on top of the sprocket, creating full contact surface to hold the sprocket:
IMG_9869.JPG

Now, I found 2 sellers on eBay that sell a TITANIUM Cross Drilled M10 Washer but only at 35mm outside diameter and the thickness is only at around 2.3mm to 2.45mm.
So, they will not cover the entire contact surface available on the sprocket like the stock 37mm washer will do. You will have about 1.4mm of RADIUS "ring of shame" shown because the titanium washer is only 35mm diameter while the available contact area is up to 37.73mm.
Plus since they are cross drilled not to far from the other diameter, this also created a weaker surface against the bolt clamping force, not to mention they area also THINNER in thickness at max 2.45mm compare to the stock steel washer at 3.2mm in thickness

So the only feasible (safe) solution is to STACK 2 pieces of this Titanium Cross Drilled M10 Washer together creating at least 4.6mm thickness (2.3mm x 2) or even 4.9mm thickness if you choose to stack 2 pieces of 2.45mm thick washer.
It still won't cover the entire available contact area on the sprocket but my feeling is it should be strong enough. However, you got to test it by tightening it to 55nm and see if there is some flex or deformation on the washer.

Here are the 2 sellers on eBay:
M10 Titanium cross drilled washer. 35mm Outer diameter. 2.2mm thick | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

and the second seller:
M10 Titanium Washer Cross Drilled 35mm Gr5 Ti 35 Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

Note: also it would be best if you did not stack the 2 washer with all the holes aligned (through holes), but stacked them so no holes become combined through holes for added strength 🧐🤓
for me... I think I will just stick to the original steel washer that I painted above, unless I can find a Grade V Titanium Cross Drilled M10 Washer with 37mm (or larger) outer diameter and thickness of at least 3.5mm

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Good news, I found possible PERFECT (in term of diameter) solution for the Titanium Washer, but need to do some customization on it to make it perfect. I will get back to you guys hopefully by end of this month if this solution turns out well 🤓

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Seen this picture on other forum that catch my eye.. but didnt realize it could take so much awerness!o_O
View attachment 2442

How about stacking the titanium washer over the stock one?:unsure:
Yes, you can do that too, but it only benefit cosmetically with the downside of adding extra weight (well only few more grams, but it's a matter of "principle" especially for your track use) 😁
oh, and your bolt had about 2.3 to 2.45mm less thread to engage (I think still safe for the thread engagement but still it means less).

From the picture above, I also don't think that hex drilled BOLT is strong enough considering how thin the center area on the head of that bolt (the area just above the "stud" of the bolt), especially compare to the original super thick steel grade 10.9 bolts...
I mean, a sprocket (and snapping chain) flying off the shaft and hit your calf at 180mph could be... dangerous, plus considering that you also cut your sprocket protector for more opening.

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Thank you @BMW Alpina !!
All upgrades so far are focused indeed for track:)

This is official map for akrapovic slip on exhaust that i got installed at dealer.
Racing Evo might well be for the full Akra exhaust system or maybe for the software upgrade available : DTC EVO2 - Software for slick - rain tyres
Not 100% sure for V4 but in the older 1199 series if you got just the termi slips ons you had racing come up on dash. With the full system you had Racing Evo. That is how it was before when Termi was the DP upgrade exhaust. :)

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Hi Duc_tmmc,
Thanks so much for the pictures, and congratulations for the beautiful exhaust 😍
I also just noticed that there are currently 4 person posting Panigale V4 builds on this forum me, @HKMP7 , @Jamin_00 and of course you, and we all using @Melotti Racing Upper Triple Clamp, all with customized laser marking too 😁
I guess, we all have "ahem" great taste 😎🤩🥳

Regarding the Titanium Bolt for the sprocket, I was wary in the past because the current Titanium material and production process available still not allow the titanium bolt to be as strong as Steel Grade 12.9
That is why I did not change this bolt on my bike, and your post made me want to make sure how safe it is.
So to make sure, I just checked my stock bolt and here are the specs:
Turn out the stock bolt is only a Grade 10.9 Steel Bolt (marking stamp on the bolt head and not Grade 12.9.
Here are the dimension M10 x 30mm with 1.25mm pitch and 15.8mm head diameter

The next thing I checked is the Torque to tightened it is 55Nm with Grease B.

Based on all the above information I believe the ProTi Titanium Bolts is strong enough for this critical application.
Here are the reason why I am now confident:
First, ProTi stated on their website that due to their cold forging technique with the 64TI (Ti-6Al-4V) titanium material, (not machining the head of the bolt but forging), they were able to achieve tensile strength of Grade 10.9:
PROTI Fully Forged 64 Titanium Bolts, Panigale,S1000RR,RSV4
and below is the screenshot from their website:
View attachment 2428

Second, I check the recommended maximum safety torque of M10 Bolt from ProTi and they are up to 90Nm so much higher than the needed 55Nm to tighten the bolt as recommended by Ducati Service Manual

Third, I found 2 bolts that will meet the dimension and pitch requirement from ProTi:
a. M10L30-OTB04 which is basically the EXACT Dimension of the stock Ducati bolt since it has 16mm head diameter, screenshot below:
View attachment 2431

b. M10L30-OTB03 which I believe is an even better choice (both looks and spreading the force) because it has an 18mm diameter head which make it looks like a bigger bolt and also spread the clamping force more like an extra 2mm washer:
View attachment 2432

So, Thank You for posting the idea of replacing the bolt with Titanium because it made me do a research for the safety of the bolt.
Having said that, eventhough the tensile strength of the ProTi Titanium Bolt is claimed to be the same than Grade 10.9 steel alloy bolt, but if you used this for track use (meaning extreme force),
I strongly advise for you to replace the bolt every now and then, just to make sure. Because Titanium is more BRITTLE then Steel and that is just the nature of Titanium Material, just to be on the safe side.
OK, time for me to put this ProTi bolt Part# M10L30-OTB03 on the list of my next ProTi batch order that I plan after my exhaust arrived since some bolts on my exhaust will also need some ProTi upgrade too 😁

I have been using a Ti custom made bolt on my front sprocket for a couple of years with no issue. I also have a custom machined washer in Ti. The Ti version replicates the OEM washer it is just lighter. the whole drive system is 520 with Ti nuts.

Duc_tmmc

Yes, you can do that too, but it only benefit cosmetically with the downside of adding extra weight (well only few more grams, but it's a matter of "principle" especially for your track use) 😁
oh, and your bolt had about 2.3 to 2.45mm less thread to engage (I think still safe for the thread engagement but still it means less).

From the picture above, I also don't think that hex drilled BOLT is strong enough considering how thin the center area on the head of that bolt (the area just above the "stud" of the bolt), especially compare to the original super thick steel grade 10.9 bolts...
I mean, a sprocket (and snapping chain) flying off the shaft and hit your calf at 180mph could be... dangerous, plus considering that you also cut your sprocket protector for more opening.
I will think more about this situation! If you come across with solution for this, let me know :)
Regards,
Tiago

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Tiago,

I just noticed you haven't use a dashboard protector, and most likely you already know about this but in case you haven't,
@Melotti Racing just launch their new dashboard protector for Panigale V4.

I was initially planning to use Melotti Racing dashboard protector but Diego was busy with producing items for racing teams and the project got delayed.
So after waiting for a few months and since I already bought Bonamici Racing dashboard protector long long time ago, I decided to just custom anodized and custom lasermarked the Bonamici Racing dashboard protector that I already had in my possession.

Just looking at Melotti Racing design (and thickness of the aluminum wall) I HONESTLY think the Melotti Racing version of the dashboard protector looks stronger/rugged and will protect your dashboard better than my current Bonamici Racing version.
The Melotti Racing will also a good match for your Melotti Racing Upper Triple clamp 😀

This is the original picture that Diego sent to me (clear anodized), the pictures on Melotti Racing website is the black anodized version...