Riding Gear

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
@POMPLARDPANAM There is some variety in quality of gear even if they’re knock offs or from cheaper brands. It’s up to the individual, for me it’s cheap insurance to at the very least protect my skin. I don’t mind paying $2 grand+ if it’s gonna save me from weeks of pain and discomfort 😂

Pete T

Staff member
Question for anybody...how tight do you buy your sport jacket?

I was in a bike shop today to get some chain lube and ended up trying on jackets. My size 50 Dainese leather jacket is 25 years old and was bought for more upright riding with room to accomodate layers of clothing.

20201028_180912.jpg

I also have a size 50 Dainese Super Speed textile jacket which doesn't seem as roomy and, with a Rukka D30 All Back protector, fits well with just a t-shirt and not too tight for summer.

20201028_175503_copy_965x965.jpg

Time to upgrade the leather jacket so looking for something along the lines of the Dainese Super Speed 3 (apparently being superceded though). They didn't have my size of course and it's no longer available here in Aus. He looked at me and declared probably size 46 or maybe 48 and then got me to try some others to illustrate what he was talking about. He said these are basically cut to shape so they actually support your body in rider stance; and hinder you standing upright. The chest is deliberately narrow and you want to eliminate bunching. He said the leather can stretch up to two sizes so you don't want it loose.

This is a decision I want to get right. 48 should fit well - my pants are a snug 48 - but should I go even tighter?

Gratuitous shorts shot for @DucatiKev 😊. But no, not my de rigeuer riding gear, just trying this little red bike on for size. I wear ATGATT and don't get my thighs cooked.
20201028_193346_copy_1632x918.jpg

My Current Gear:
Dainese "old?" sport touring leather jacket
Dainese Super Speed textile jacket
Dainese Delta Pro Evo leather pants
Alpinestars SMX5 Waterproof boots
Alpinestars Supertech R boots
Held Phantom II gloves
Rukka Airium textile short gloves
BMW heated vest
Clover Niagra two piece rain suit
Arai RX-7 GP Doohan TT Edition helmet
Arai RX-Q gloss black helmet
Cardo Packtalk Slim comms unit (x2)

Andy7

Staff member
@Pete T My understanding regarding leather is you want it to be tight so the material isn’t baggy which won’t be as effective in a slide. If it is loose it can snag on something (hello dislocation...) so if it’s cold I can fit into the jacket wearing woolen thermals or something tight but not a hoodie.
Body types obviously vary a lot so it’s a bit of a substitute in some areas getting the right fit overall so that’s why it’s good to try different brands. And try it on wearing your typical under layers.

As for the Super Speed 3 , Dainese have the Super race as their top of the line Sports jacket now - you can find both online so it just comes down to the styling and a few small changes but overall I think they’re both good. I plan on picking up a Super Race in the next couple weeks.
I’d say go for the tighter size as it will flex a bit to fit you more comfortably in time.
*comfort on a panigale?* haha
Great pics too, I think that bikes got your name on it ;) did they still have the SL on display there?

Pete T

Staff member
Thanks Andy. That pic was 6 months ago and a week later I rode it home (middle pic). So no I still haven't seen the SL in the flesh.

Andy7

Staff member
Amazing!
Yeh I think we’ll be lucky to get 5 in the whole of Australia hey

Lucati

Staff member
Yeah bros in my case i buy a lot of fake from Pakistan i know this is kind of dangerous but comparing to what i have try N see to a Dainese store or about Alpinestars N Gimoto etc...
N reals gears that i have already buy i have no problem with that
Anyway i buy almost only fakes gears...
I have had a few of those “fake” suits custom made for me, and they were really good, did their job at 1/4th the price.

Lucati

Staff member
Yeah my bro me too look that sexy boy one year ago at the motorland Aragon in Spain for the IPONE DAYS 2019 yeah that's me fake suit powaaaa bro:cool::ROFLMAO::cool:
Haha.
dang, that track is awesome. I’d like to get on it some day

Lucati

Staff member
If u R in Europe N not too far from Spain go to see that bro N join me Ipone Days 2021 - October 2021
I will be on that shit next year 4 sure lol that track was on TV this last week end it was awesome to see that so much fun in my memory LOL crazy wheelings one guy was calling me wheeling land :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
haha

I'm a little far, in California. Yea I saw it on the last motogp race like a week ago

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
New additions to the gear collection.
Astars missle air jacket
Astar tech 5 airbag vest
Astar supertech gloves
I will do a full review of the Tech 5 vest once I get some put more miles on it

Last edited:

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
New additions to the gear collection.
Astars missle air jacket
Astar tech 5 airbag vest
Astar supertech gloves
I will do a full review of the Tech 5 vest once I get some put more miles on it.

That Jacket is very very nice ! :love:

Pete T

Staff member
I wear ATGATT and don't get my thighs cooked.
I spoke too soon. Went riding for a fews hours yesterday. It was 33C, the warmest day of riding since I got the V4S six months ago. My left inner thigh was well and truly cooked. Also a patch on the upper calf. It was not a pleasant ride home. Nothing on the right leg. Leathers saved me from a proper burn but still very uncomfortable.

Funny how the heat switches on and off repeatedly. I really haven't worked out if it's blowing through from the radiator when the fan switches on (in which case why nothing on the right?) or direct radiant heat from the left rear cylinder when the fan is off.

Lucati

Staff member
I spoke too soon. Went riding for a fews hours yesterday. It was 33C, the warmest day of riding since I got the V4S six months ago. My left inner thigh was well and truly cooked. Also a patch on the upper calf. It was not a pleasant ride home. Nothing on the right leg. Leathers saved me from a proper burn but still very uncomfortable.

Funny how the heat switches on and off repeatedly. I really haven't worked out if it's blowing through from the radiator when the fan switches on (in which case why nothing on the right?) or direct radiant heat from the left rear cylinder when the fan is off.
ouch, sounds as bad as my 1299 was