Riding Gear

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Our main dealer Frasers is having a sale at the moment and I’ve always wanted one of the replica GP jackets so I took the opportunity to grab a bargain this evening. Can’t beat a bit of retail therapy.
View attachment 1611
That was cheap. I have the Rossi version from about 2 years ago. It is a Dainese product. I note yours is AStars. Looks good. When I am on the 1199S, the Rossi jacket is what I wear. It is bright and I hope car drivers see me easier.

PanigalePilot

Staff member
What sort of protection are people wearing when they ride?
Understandably different brands fit better than others so it’s not a one size fits all solution but it helps having a place to discuss if anyone needs some advices.

Some general questions for example:
How much does styling/practicality influence your decisions if commuting or street riding?
What’s the verdict on airbag systems for street and track?
Feedback on bluetooth & intercom units?
I am looking at Airbag stuff too. Things are moving at a rapid rate so I am still hanging off a bit. I use the Pro Level Sub 4 and sometimes matching chest protector most of the time. Sidi Mag 1 boots and the top of the line Fives gloves.

@Andy7. I noticed you mentioned heat. Without getting into the big discussions on causes etc, my solution about a 2 years ago was to get a local leather suit supplier to sew on a black leather patch over the inner thigh area of my Dainese black leather riding pants. She was able to match the leather very well. I gave her a section of wool blanket which I folded over. It was then leather, two layers of 100% wool and a final layer of leather. That stopped heat transfer in its tracks.

Firefighters from all countries all over the world have traditionally used wool in their protective uniforms. With my work I once did a week long breathing apparatus course with the state fire brigade. The material used now is different to wool but it is still thick. At times we had flame rolling over us and the only thing that stops heat transfer is the thickness of the material. When looking at heat resistant material people usually think of Nomex like the flight suits airforce pilots wear. It gives very short protection for the brief exposure to flash fire for an ejection sequence or to quickly escape a burning aircraft on the ground. Any more than a few seconds though and you are cooked. A standard flight suit is 4.5 ounces of nomex (per square foot ?) it is also made in heavier grades. Both wool and aramid fibres have a very low flammability. Modacrylic, Nomex, Kevlar and Dyneema are all good non melting material for flash fires, electric arcs etc. They are designed to provide short term protection. Thicker versions and wool provide a longer protection period. Even the high end expensive layered fire resistant driving suits the F1 drivers wear only provide about 30 seconds of protection from burning and after that time they start to receive burns to the skin the longer they stay in the flame.

In hot summers wearing a second layer under your leathers can be too hot but putting a patch exactly where the heat was hitting my right leg worked for me. I used an old blanket I had at home and I think from memory the charge was about $80 to do the sewing. My apologies I have prattled on. :)

POMPLARDPANAM

I spoke too soon. Went riding for a fews hours yesterday. It was 33C, the warmest day of riding since I got the V4S six months ago. My left inner thigh was well and truly cooked. Also a patch on the upper calf. It was not a pleasant ride home. Nothing on the right leg. Leathers saved me from a proper burn but still very uncomfortable.

Funny how the heat switches on and off repeatedly. I really haven't worked out if it's blowing through from the radiator when the fan switches on (in which case why nothing on the right?) or direct radiant heat from the left rear cylinder when the fan is off.
hi bro i know that shit u have to be careful in hot days bro that V4 Pizza in this weather condition is hot like Beyonce 's ass i have buy things to have less heat like engine ice coolant Engine Ice – 1/2 Gallon Bottle – Engine Ice , Teknofibra kit Teknofibra Fuel Tank Thermal Insulation Kit Ducati Panigale V4 V4R S may be i will buy samco hoses Durites de radiateur Samco Sport pour Ducati Panigale V4 N the Ducabike hose Ducabike Performance Technology In-Line Radiator Coolers for the Ducati Panigale / Streetfighter V4 models like my bro big bill
few weeks ago the Pizzeria put a new gear indicator from NOVOTECHNIK on my bike for free by the way the first model was too weak it was under waranty for the moment i wait to install all that shit i'm broke N this is winter in France i hope to do it soon before the summer with my exhaust upgrades :cool:ass of fire.jpgDUCATI PANIGALE V4 thermal camera pic after run 2.jpgDucati-Panigale-V4-NOVOTECHNIK-gear-indicator-1.jpg

POMPLARDPANAM

I am looking at Airbag stuff too. Things are moving at a rapid rate so I am still hanging off a bit. I use the Pro Level Sub 4 and sometimes matching chest protector most of the time. Sidi Mag 1 boots and the top of the line Fives gloves.

@Andy7. I noticed you mentioned heat. Without getting into the big discussions on causes etc, my solution about a 2 years ago was to get a local leather suit supplier to sew on a black leather patch over the inner thigh area of my Dainese black leather riding pants. She was able to match the leather very well. I gave her a section of wool blanket which I folded over. It was then leather, two layers of 100% wool and a final layer of leather. That stopped heat transfer in its tracks.

Firefighters from all countries all over the world have traditionally used wool in their protective uniforms. With my work I once did a week long breathing apparatus course with the state fire brigade. The material used now is different to wool but it is still thick. At times we had flame rolling over us and the only thing that stops heat transfer is the thickness of the material. When looking at heat resistant material people usually think of Nomex like the flight suits airforce pilots wear. It gives very short protection for the brief exposure to flash fire for an ejection sequence or to quickly escape a burning aircraft on the ground. Any more than a few seconds though and you are cooked. A standard flight suit is 4.5 ounces of nomex (per square foot ?) it is also made in heavier grades. Both wool and aramid fibres have a very low flammability. Modacrylic, Nomex, Kevlar and Dyneema are all good non melting material for flash fires, electric arcs etc. They are designed to provide short term protection. Thicker versions and wool provide a longer protection period. Even the high end expensive layered fire resistant driving suits the F1 drivers wear only provide about 30 seconds of protection from burning and after that time they start to receive burns to the skin the longer they stay in the flame.

In hot summers wearing a second layer under your leathers can be too hot but putting a patch exactly where the heat was hitting my right leg worked for me. I used an old blanket I had at home and I think from memory the charge was about $80 to do the sewing. My apologies I have prattled on. :)
Yeah my bro i'm a pro fireman:cool: i know that shit it is a good idea what u have done can u show that custom suit pleaseYeah bro better than Tom CRUISE - Copie.jpg

Andy7

Staff member

Yep @HKMP7 changed my life when he brought my attention to the standalone airbag vests. I wasn’t completely sold on the integrated jackets as I hear you can be without it for several months once it’s sent off for repairs/recalibration after a crash.
You’re right, the tech and price is always improving but I still plan to pick something up within the next couple of months.

Good call on the wool, did you get that sewn onto the inside or outside of the leathers?
Interesting breakdown of all those fabrics too. I didn’t know that about the f1 or flight suits.

The jacket I got looks great in person - i was skeptical about the fit since Dainese are a far better fit for me than Astars however this one seems to be perfect so no complaints. I plan to get the waist zipper changed so I can connect it to my Dainese pants as kind of hybrid 2-piece suit. 😂

Its a struggle sometimes deciding to spend money on riding gear or parts.

PanigalePilot

Staff member
I will post a pic of my Jacket and the mod to my pants
I have had a few good crashes in my time and in the moment before impact you would spend anything to make it hurt less, that is how I always think 🏍😷

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Yeah my bro i'm a pro fireman:cool: i know that shit it is a good idea what u have done can u show that custom suit please
Hello Pomplardpanam

Here are a couple pics of my pants. I think these are called Dainese Speed pants or similar. I have had them since late 2012. I have put the patches in the centre of the photo. If you look immediately above the calf area where the black material is you will see the square leather patch on both sides. This patch of leather has been sewn over the original leather with a double layer of 100% wool blanket sewn in between. So leather then 2 layers wool then anther outer layer of the black leather. No heat problem anymore. It was always just behind the knee on the back side of the thigh that got hot for me.

I tried reflective heat foil under my seat. Did nothing. I tried running McCool in the radiator. Did nothing. I have a full Akra Evolution exhaust Ti system. Did nothing for heat. (not that I thought it ever would), however other people suggest a free flowing exhaust would make the bike run cooler. Maybe it does, one or two degrees but nothing you can feel on your legs. I purchased the Akra for the sound and the saving of almost 6 kg in weight over OEM.

The only way to fix it is get much bigger radiators or protect yourself against the heat. IMHO. (In my humble opinion). It worked for me and was cheap. Wish I did it back when I first got the bike.

By putting a patch on just the area where the heat comes thru to your skin you are not making all of the pants double thickness and so other areas remain more comfortable. If I ever get a nice race suit to wear I will get the same mod done.

cheers

PS having trouble uploading the pics as to large. I think am doing something wrong. Happened last night as well. It will be my poor computer skills. :(
Will post the pics once I work out what I am doing wrong.

OK. BMWAlpina came to the rescue and told me what I was doing wrong so here we go again. Second time lucky.

Ok first pic show the patches on the back side of the thigh. You can see it is hard to tell there are patches there as they follow the line of the standard stitching

If you look at the second image you will see the corner of the patch indicated by my thumb. The inner line of stitching is the patch. Look carefully and you will see it is not as straight as the factory dainese stitching. Underneath that smaller square patch is the 2 layers of wool. The second photo is the lower left corner of the back of the right pants leg.

IMG_4748 8x6.jpg

IMG_4749 8x6.jpg

Last edited:

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
For me, I found a crazy deal at sport bike track gear(local to me) on a full Scorpion suit(the wife, kids and myself refer to it as my "Riding costume" because I rarely go to the track). The normal price was like $900, I paid under $300otd and it fits me as though it were cut for me.

I have 3 coats I rotate, old textile Joe rocker with waterproof liner, a white A*s textile with water resistant liner(does absolutely nothing) and a leather A*s GP Plus R coat. The leather gets the most use.

I have a pair of A*s air something pants that I wear everywhere except going to work. They zip into all 3 coats but the combo most used is the Leather A*s coat with the A*s

My most favorite gloves that I have ever owned are these Plus Racing gloves. I can not stress enough how fantastic these gloves are and at an unbeatable price. Kangaroo palms, knox palm and scalpoid sliders, full gauntlet, wrist slider, carbon fiber n titanium knuckle protector , stingray pinky anti friction material , pinky bridge, external seams and leather remainder all for $150(like $180 shipped). This in itself is is fantastic BUT they will often times honor that price on custom made custom sizing and custom color gloves. If your fingers are a little longer or shorter than the average, they will make you a pair. If your palm is wider than most,they will make you a pair. Want custom colors, they will make you a pair. Hand made in Budapest. Hozzane Schudery is the FB contact for the U.S.A. (it may seem like I have a connection to the company but I don't. I love to share crazy values from lesser known companies).

As for boots, I need boots I can wear all into a store or at a gathering that I ride too. TCX have been great for me. I have 2 pair, Vibe Air(not waterproof, alot of air flow) and X-Cube EVO WP(waterproof, about zero air flow but I were them the most/daily). They are very comfortable for daily riding and have some protection. If I were to do it all over again I would get a model without the "speed laces/eyelets" (basically a nylon strap I stead of an actual hole punched through the boot). Over time your shoelaces will cut through the "speed laces/eyelets" as you tighten the laces. The lace acts as a friction saw. I ended up punching holes in the Vibes and putting conventional eyelets when I eventually cut through.

My helmet, AGV AX8 EVO DS. It was great when it was new. It has a European fit which means(from what I discovered) that the mouth piece is close to your mouth. Over time it have become noisey. I have washed the pads and cleaned the helmet but somehow it picked up some excess wind noise on my right side at the neck(opposite side of the Cardo). I can't seem to pinpoint the cause but if I put my hand their it's super quiet again. Communications are difficult to attach to this helmet because the cheek pads are not cut for speakers and there are no holes to get the speaker in. It was very tricky but using a razor to the foam and completely twisting and turning the guts to get them out of the pocket I got it in and nice fitting. Another down side to the AGV AX8 is that they don't make a pinlock screen for it. I ride in all weather and this sucks when it's raining or snowing. The helmet I had before this was the Icon Variant. Very cool looking helmet. Probably decent in a crash but VERY heavy and has ALOT of drag out in the road. They also have an 'American fit'. Which feels far more roomy than the AGV(as it turns out I prefer the Euro fit better). To do it all over again I would have got the AX9 DS or looked deeper into other options. All in all its been a good helmet but I would not buy it again.

Communications , I have had the Sena SMH10 for like 8 years. I tend to ride alone so the rider-to-rider intercom was never used. It was easy to use and worked great. I recently switched to the Cardo Pactalk Bold. It has JBL speakers so i had high expectations. The sound quality did not meet expectations. It has cool features like speaking "hey Cardo volume up" and the vine gos up and communications between other riders is VERY cool but had everyone else had Sena I would have just kept what I had. It worked well(but again I never intercommed with it)for calls and music. The Sena was better at phone calls than the Cardo. 20201109_163759_resize_22.jpg20201109_164010_resize_41.jpg20201109_164029_resize_27.jpg20201109_164042_resize_14.jpg20201109_165922_resize_54.jpg20201109_164244_resize_96.jpg20201109_164416_resize_65.jpg

POMPLARDPANAM

Hello Pomplardpanam

Here are a couple pics of my pants. I think these are called Dainese Speed pants or similar. I have had them since late 2012. I have put the patches in the centre of the photo. If you look immediately above the calf area where the black material is you will see the square leather patch on both sides. This patch of leather has been sewn over the original leather with a double layer of 100% wool blanket sewn in between. So leather then 2 layers wool then anther outer layer of the black leather. No heat problem anymore. It was always just behind the knee on the back side of the thigh that got hot for me.

I tried reflective heat foil under my seat. Did nothing. I tried running McCool in the radiator. Did nothing. I have a full Akra Evolution exhaust Ti system. Did nothing for heat. (not that I thought it ever would), however other people suggest a free flowing exhaust would make the bike run cooler. Maybe it does, one or two degrees but nothing you can feel on your legs. I purchased the Akra for the sound and the saving of almost 6 kg in weight over OEM.

The only way to fix it is get much bigger radiators or protect yourself against the heat. IMHO. (In my humble opinion). It worked for me and was cheap. Wish I did it back when I first got the bike.

By putting a patch on just the area where the heat comes thru to your skin you are not making all of the pants double thickness and so other areas remain more comfortable. If I ever get a nice race suit to wear I will get the same mod done.

cheers

PS having trouble uploading the pics as to large. I think am doing something wrong. Happened last night as well. It will be my poor computer skills. :(
Will post the pics once I work out what I am doing wrong.

OK. BMWAlpina came to the rescue and told me what I was doing wrong so here we go again. Second time lucky.

Ok first pic show the patches on the back side of the thigh. You can see it is hard to tell there are patches there as they follow the line of the standard stitching

If you look at the second image you will see the corner of the patch indicated by my thumb. The inner line of stitching is the patch. Look carefully and you will see it is not as straight as the factory dainese stitching. Underneath that smaller square patch is the 2 layers of wool. The second photo is the lower left corner of the back of the right pants leg.

View attachment 1827

View attachment 1828
Yeah my bro that nice to know how to go against the heat of the 🍕 pizza 🍕

Andy7

Staff member
I tried one of those Arai helmets on. Super comfortable, it’s defintiely gonna be my next lid.

MaverickiB

I love Arai. I switched to AGV after my noggin encased in my last Arai helmet kissed the highway. I loved my Arais but figured it would be worth giving a different brand a try. I got a AGV Corsa R, didn't go for the Pista since the Corsa R has a channel for glasses in the pads and the Pista doesn't.

It isn't a bad helmet at all, and is definitely better for the track. When I tracked in my Arai, I had to put a blue shop towel on my forehead to force it to sit just a little bit higher. Vertical viewing angle on the AGV models is much better. However, the Arai is much more comfortable and the exterior sun visor is mint, allowing you to have the convenience of choosing between a visor or not without sacrificing collision safety. Once my Corsa R is used up, I'm going back to Arai forever.IMG_20201019_175442_536.jpg

PanigalePilot

Staff member
I have the 2012 version of the Ducati products Rx7
I have the newer version in just plain gloss white
Just waiting on new colored one coming from the USA
I rate the Arai Rx7

Pete T

Staff member
When I tracked in my Arai, I had to put a blue shop towel on my forehead to force it to sit just a little bit higher.
When this current version of the RX7 (Corsair V, I think, in US) came out - it would be about 3 years ago or so - I had only recently bought mine. I recall one of the differences they claimed was a raised (vertical) angle of view so it was easier to see in a crouch. But they don't mention that any more.

MaverickiB

When this current version of the RX7 (Corsair V, I think, in US) came out - it would be about 3 years ago or so - I had only recently bought mine. I recall one of the differences they claimed was a raised (vertical) angle of view so it was easier to see in a crouch. But they don't mention that any more.
I'll have to try it out. Mine was a Corsair from a few years ago so it's likely the RX7 is better in that regard.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
BmwAlpina
Do you mind asking the Instagram friend
How much the carbon fiber version sell for in Japan ?
Cheers
Hi @PanigalePilot ,
This is the webpage of DucatiLifeStyle Tokyo (who posted the picture on the instagram contain the pricing for the Ducati Carbon Fiber Helmet:
Items – Ducati Lifestyle Tokyo

and below is the screenshot with the price from the webpage, it looks like the price is 313,500 YEN (including Japanese Sales Tax).
Try contacting our official forum vendor, Dennis @dennispowersport who is based in Taiwan and he usually able to get you a BETTER PRICING.
1612666847575.png

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
Loving my Plus Racing gloves I was watching for a sale, I ended up catching the winter sale on a full custom jacket. I'm an odd shape so I never really had a jacket that fit me properly. I messaged back and forth with them with my measurements. They had to verify 2 more times due to some off numbers. In the end they requested me to send pics of the tape measure on each location just to make sure I'm not measuring in the wrong area. We went back and forth on materials, which level of protection, print patterns n logos and colors. For the colors and logos decided to keep it very simple since it will be my daily driver and this was my first ever full custom piece. 2 and half months later it showed up on my doorstep. Now that I have had it for a few weeks I can honestly say that I LOVE it. The fit is unlike anything I have ever had. The detailamd symetry is spot on(I was thinking that it might be a little wonky being a somewhat smaller company making gear in Istanbul). Here are the features..
Custom ARROW jacket with stingray inserts is on its way to Tim King by PLUS Racing Gear 🇭🇺
Cowhide AAA certified 1.2 mm Leath
- SasTec CE level 2 body armo
- SasTec CE level 2 back inser
- Stingray crash insert
- Shock absorbing Shoulder Cap
- Elbow Slider
- Air Ventilation System
- Removable Thermoliner for usage in col
- YKK Zipper
- Breathable 3D CE mesh line
now for the price...$375 shipped. That's an incredible bargain in my opinion, especially since my old A*s was about $600.
I have included one of the pics from another full custom suit. It's a cheffs outfit. LOL. Screenshot_20210225-193630_Facebook_compress26.jpgScreenshot_20210225-193637_Facebook_compress44.jpg20210225_164317_compress9.jpg20210225_164328_compress1.jpg20210225_164346_compress82.jpg20210225_164415_compress43.jpgScreenshot_20210225-193712_Facebook_compress59.jpgScreenshot_20210225-193655_Facebook_compress63.jpgScreenshot_20210225-193651_Facebook_compress45.jpgScreenshot_20210225-193644_Facebook_compress42.jpgFB_IMG_1616412200814.jpg