My 1299 project

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lucati,
Now that you installed your brake line on your bike, it actually looks very PROFESSIONAL, and very ROBUST RACING GRADE look !
I actually LOVE it !😍(y)🏍

Lucati

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
2AA59470-A55E-4A5F-A434-047793909611.jpegadded fluid to the rear brake system and bleeding. Adding a stahlbus bleeder to the front MC for the thumb brake is a must I’d say, it would be a huge PITA to bleed the system without it.
And yes, I use my sons old lego table chairs Haha, they get me nice and low.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Lucati,
2 questions:
a. What is the brand of your tool box? is it stainless steel or aluminum? and was the top surface made of thick wood? it is very nice looking (y)
b. After you change your exhaust, how do you tune your bike?
Thanks

Lucati

Staff member
Wanted to show this...the FM racing exhaust that I am using...since it is for track use only they say, the front horizontal pipe that comes with the system, does not allow the use of the oem radiator fan set up because of its size. Obviously with street riding, especially where I’m at with temps reaching 100+ degrees, the fan is needed. So one will have to use an 1199’s front horizontal pipe ( the 1299 horizontal pipe is too long), but then you can’t utilize the big, beautiful pipe that comes with the system. What I did was scrap the whole fan shroud and fan. Bought a new fan ( 5” I believe it is) and I mounted it a little lower on the radiator.
1C5DC3C3-E881-42AF-AD5F-204F90FE9551.jpeg
and here is a picture of the oem pipe for reference, it’s like half the size....
D0864162-716C-46D4-BDA0-8636DE30F6E5.jpeg

Lucati

Staff member
Hi Lucati,
2 questions:
a. What is the brand of your tool box? is it stainless steel or aluminum? and was the top surface made of thick wood? it is very nice looking (y)
b. After you change your exhaust, how do you tune your bike?
Thanks
I dont remember the brand, but my wife got it for me from Costco. It is stainless steel, thick wood with a kind of protectant coat. Right before buying that, We actually had someone that was going to come and make a custom work bench which was very similar to that one, but about $1200 more😱 the Costco trip was great timing.
I am using the Brentune, which made a world of difference. With the brentune, the fan kicks on around 180 degrees instead of the normal 220 degrees, thaT made a big difference.

Lucati

Staff member
Apparently brembo billet clutch MC are back ordered, so I was offered an RCS instead haha

I told them I’ll just wait for the billet MC. Until then I’m putting the stock MC back so I can ride a bit.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Apparently brembo billet clutch MC are back ordered, so I was offered an RCS instead haha

I told them I’ll just wait for the billet MC. Until then I’m putting the stock MC back so I can ride a bit.
Hi Lucati,
Did they offer you the RCS or the RCS Corsa Corta? Because if the RCS 16 Corsa Corta is available now, I want to order.
Thanks

Lucati

Staff member
Hi Lucati,
Did they offer you the RCS or the RCS Corsa Corta? Because if the RCS 16 Corsa Corta is available now, I want to order.
Thanks
they offered me the regular RCS which I have already. The corsa corta was mentioned but I was told the same time line that I saw you have mentioned.

Lucati

Staff member
hey yalllll, any one know of some type of spring compressor (that isn’t crazy expensive) that I can use to remove the spring from my ohlins ttx shock? I tried that “hook on both sides” type (____) but the hooks were too big to fit the spring, couldn’t find a smaller one. Any suggestions would be just fabulousss

Andy7

Staff member
If you skip to 7:25 you’ll find a solution. Whether it’s the one you want im not sure but it did the job 😅

Lucati

Staff member
If you skip to 7:25 you’ll find a solution. Whether it’s the one you want im not sure but it did the job 😅

I’m not sure I’m seeing the right video haha. I saw the guy just getting on the 1299

BMW Alpina

Staff member
hey yalllll, any one know of some type of spring compressor (that isn’t crazy expensive) that I can use to remove the spring from my ohlins ttx shock? I tried that “hook on both sides” type (____) but the hooks were too big to fit the spring, couldn’t find a smaller one. Any suggestions would be just fabulousss
Hi @Araitim , do you have experience on removing springs from Ohlins shock?
Maybe you has some ideas for Lucati?

Lucati

Staff member
Yep copied the wrong link. My bad

Same time as before 7:25

haha if I had that entire contraption I’d try! I did actually try once with tie-down straps...didn’t work as good as I’d thought

PanigalePilot

Staff member
I glanced through that website the other day, never seen it before, wrs.it . I saw an ohlins damper with a black finish. It looks waaayyy better than the regular aluminum finish one, only reason I bought that one because I thought there was no other option. Have to switch these out in the near future
View attachment 478
View attachment 479
A shout out for WRS.it. When I purchased my new wheels for my 1199S they were special order from Marchesini. I was dealing with a shop in the USA and waited on some list for 3 months. This was in early 2017. I got sick of all the lies and excuses from them and ended up contacting WRS after a google search. 8 weeks later after a custom build and both wheels painted at the same time to ensure colour matching by Marchesini, I had them in my hands. And for about $1000 AUD cheaper than the useless accessory store in the USA. Plus one for WRS.it.

Nice work on your bike Lucati. Looking good.

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Yep copied the wrong link. My bad

Same time as before 7:25

Ok guys I just watched the video. And the spring removal is not what attracted my interest. :)

I just could not believe they stuck that piece of wood against the bottom of the Akra system. Sacrilegious :eek:

And there were two other things I noticed.

Andy7

Staff member
And there were two other things I noticed.
Click bait for the views.
Forget the bloke and his missus they don’t contribute anything mechanically. I liked watching Dado working on the bikes tho. I learned a fair bit about panigales which has helped me do some of my own work on mine.

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
Some shocks the spring can be removed by just backing off the preload all the way. I'm assuming that you tried this and it's not the case for this particular case. One idea I have is to take 2 pieces of plate steel(or aluminum), cut a slot to fit the center shaft in, 3 threaded rods with nuts and slide it in and tighten the nuts till the bottom spring retainer can be pulled out. You shouldn't need to compress too much, I'm guessing if you were to get the plate between 2-3 coils then it will be more than enough to get the retainer out. You might even run up to AutoZone and rent something like in the picture. I wouldnt compress any of the coils till they touch, I would grab a few more coils and compress them all a little as opposed to all the way down on 1-2 coils . Shouldnt be under alot of tension when the preload is fully backed off. 20201109_105244.jpg