My 1299 project

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
when I purchased my IMA thumb brake, I first wanted the fork mount, but it was not available in the diameter that I needed. I spoke with someone at superbikeunlimited and was told that IMA can custom make the diameter that is needed.I imagine they can do the same with the clip-ons? It’s worth a shot, give em a call!
🏍🏍🏍🏍
Hi Lucati,
I contacted IMA Italy directly a few weeks ago, and at that time IMA product development manager (his name is Patrick Costa) confirmed to me that they can even customized lower triple clamp diameter,

then I also see if you purchase at WRS.it (for the clip on), you can choose your diameter from their online menu:
MOD5P ADJUSTABLE HANDLEBARS IMA SPECIAL PARTS MODEL 5P DUCATI PANIGALE ALL MODELS

because you mention IMA thumb brake above (with custom diameter for forks mount), I am curious and just quickly check the webpage at WRS.it, and turn out you can also select your fork diameter directly from their online menu (check it out the price is not bad too):
TBS-BASE-F THUMB BRAKE PUMP KIT TBS BASE-F IMA SPECIAL PARTS

I am not planning to purchase thumb brake though... 😅
and the IMA clip on purchase is tentative on future test...

Lucati

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Hi Lucati,
I contacted IMA Italy directly a few weeks ago, and at that time IMA product development manager (his name is Patrick Costa) confirmed to me that they can even customized lower triple clamp diameter,

then I also see if you purchase at WRS.it (for the clip on), you can choose your diameter from their online menu:
MOD5P ADJUSTABLE HANDLEBARS IMA SPECIAL PARTS MODEL 5P DUCATI PANIGALE ALL MODELS

because you mention IMA thumb brake above (with custom diameter for forks mount), I am curious and just quickly check the webpage at WRS.it, and turn out you can also select your fork diameter directly from their online menu (check it out the price is not bad too):
TBS-BASE-F THUMB BRAKE PUMP KIT TBS BASE-F IMA SPECIAL PARTS

I am not planning to purchase thumb brake though... 😅
and the IMA clip on purchase is tentative on future test...
you’re already ahead of the game! Haha.
the price on their TBS iany bad, but that is the “base model” price, it does not come with an IMA MC

Lucati

Staff member
So I just ordered a few things. The RCS clutch MC is really limiting the wheel travel (side to side) due to the position that the bleeder. Then the position I have to have it in so it doesn’t hit the front fairing is high and doesn’t flow with my hand position. So I ordered a new MC and a new switch that should clear things up, and it looks a bit prettier
4A32D69A-FABB-4C1F-B5FA-E50ACEA4005A.jpeg
4D2DAEC4-F88C-442A-A2D2-B1B4BFAEE016.jpeg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Lucati,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the Brembo Billet Radial Clutch Master Cylinder? If that is correct, did you choose the 16x16 FL or 16x18 FL?
They are about $600 right, about double the price of an RCS16 (even the upcoming RCS 16 Corsa Corta version)?
Well, Money Don't Lie 😇 They are very very nice ! (y)

Also, may I know the model/brand of your new clutch pressure switch? Because the Kohken Switch that I bought was design for the RCS16 and it might not fit the RCS16 Corsa Corta.
If I can't make it fit, I for sure want to use the same clutch switch as your, it looks so much better than every other pressure switch I can find out there 😍

Also, if you need to sell your RCS16 and switch, please kindly don't forget to utilize our Sell section of this forum.

By the way, I now noticed that the original version of the RCS master cylinder (brake or clutch) has their bleeder position up right and I can see how it was causing the space problem...

However the new RCS Corsa Corta version adopt the angled bleeder (similar angle to your new Billet MC) so hopefully,
I will not have the same problem with my upcoming RCS16 Corsa Corta Clutch MC, otherwise, I have to follow your footstep with the Billet Radial Clutch Master Cylinder,...
Of course the RCS16 Corsa Corta does not have that nice CNC Billet Looks/Smooth Finish like your new Brembo Billet Clutch MC, because the RCS Corsa Corta are FORGED aluminum body with secondary CNC machining process, and not full Billet/CNC like yours :cry:

Link to Brembo page about the RCS 16 Corsa Corta Clutch Master Cylinder: BREMBO 16RCS CORSA CORTA
Here how the upcoming RCS 16 Corsa Corta Clutch Master Cylinder looks, and I was informed it should be ready for release (after long delay) in the next 3 to 4 weeks:

Lucati

Staff member
Hi Lucati,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the Brembo Billet Radial Clutch Master Cylinder? If that is correct, did you choose the 16x16 FL or 16x18 FL?
They are about $600 right, about double the price of an RCS16 (even the upcoming RCS 16 Corsa Corta version)?
Well, Money Don't Lie 😇 They are very very nice ! (y)

Also, may I know the model/brand of your new clutch pressure switch? Because the Kohken Switch that I bought was design for the RCS16 and it might not fit the RCS16 Corsa Corta.
If I can't make it fit, I for sure want to use the same clutch switch as your, it looks so much better than every other pressure switch I can find out there 😍

Also, if you need to sell your RCS16 and switch, please kindly don't forget to utilize our Sell section of this forum.

By the way, I now noticed that the original version of the RCS master cylinder (brake or clutch) has their bleeder position up right and I can see how it was causing the space problem...

However the new RCS Corsa Corta version adopt the angled bleeder (similar angle to your new Billet MC) so hopefully,
I will not have the same problem with my upcoming RCS16 Corsa Corta Clutch MC, otherwise, I have to follow your footstep with the Billet Radial Clutch Master Cylinder,...
Of course the RCS16 Corsa Corta does not have that nice CNC Billet Looks/Smooth Finish like your new Brembo Billet Clutch MC, because the RCS Corsa Corta are FORGED aluminum body with secondary CNC machining process, and not full Billet/CNC like yours :cry:

Link to Brembo page about the RCS 16 Corsa Corta Clutch Master Cylinder: BREMBO 16RCS CORSA CORTA
Here how the upcoming RCS 16 Corsa Corta Clutch Master Cylinder looks, and I was informed it should be ready for release (after long delay) in the next 3 to 4 weeks:

you nailed it, it is the billet 16x18. Yes it was about double the price, but I didn’t have much of a choice because of the issues I was having (with clearance and travel). I did notice before you mentioned the rcs 16 corsa corta was being released this winter, but I’m too impatient for that plus riding with the tiny radius I had to turn the wheel was pretty dangerous.
I found the switch on eBay, going to give it a try. Only $29, so if it happens not to work correctly, oh well.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Thanks so much Lucati,

I visit the eBay page that you point out above, and just in time to purchased the last switch available 😋
By the way, I notice the thickness of this switch is only 3 mm, so a double 29mm banjo bolts might be too long, while the regular single19mm banjo bolts might be too short.

I wasn't going to post about this until my thread is up to date, but it looks like it will takes longer for me to completely update my build thread since there are so many things to transfer from my old build thread...
so here we go:

I plan to use Staubli Quick Dry Disconnect system and their banjo fitting is about 3mm thicker than your normal banjo fitting, so exactly the same added thickness of this switch.
and since you also purchase a lot of ProTi Titanium Bolts, you might already knew that ProTi offer a longer Titanium single banjo bolt with 21mm length.
But just in case you are not aware,...
so I purchased 1 pieces of this 21mm single longer titanium banjo bolt from ProTi to test fit, and it arrived a few days ago. (standard single banjo bolts length is 19mm)

(you might also remember that one "notorious so called resident expert" at the old forum with a forum handle name like a "medical procedure" 🤣😂🤒
claimed / posted on my old thread that he knew only 1 manufacturer IN THE WORLD that made a longer custom TITANIUM single banjo bolt that will work with the Staubli banjo and ask people to PM him so he can sell it to them 🤑 🤪)

Well, turn out, ProTi already make a longer Titanium single banjo bolt and the ProTi Part# is M10L21-OT03 link: PROTI Fully Forged 64 Titanium Bolts, Panigale,S1000RR,RSV4
so we don't need to PM that "fakeDOC" 🤕🤮🤧🥴

Here are 2 pictures to compare their length from 19mmvs21mm and 29mmvs21mm to better illustrate (the gold one is 21mm):
IMG_8743.JPGIMG_8746.JPG

The washer for Banjo application came in 3 sizes, 1mm thickness (stock Ducati cooper washer), 1.5mm thickness (most aftermarket cooper washer) and 2mm thickness (aftermarket cooper or aluminum washer).

I plan to use 1mm washer and for this switch application it will need total of 3 washers in total.

Again my Staubli banjo fitting total thickness is about the same as the combined thickness of a regular banjo fitting plus the switch fitting, so by using Staubli fitting, its thickness is enough to simulate the combine thickness of the regular banjo plus the switch fitting.

Now, let's try to use the double banjo bolts at 29mm length first. And assume we will be using 3 washers with the most thickest 2mm.
Since I only have the Ducati stock 1mm washer (well I have 2mm aluminum washers, but it is hidden somewhere in many of the boxes in my garage) so, I will just simulate this by using 6 Ducati washer with 1mm thickness instead
after all 3 x 2mm = 6 x 1mm, and below are the pictures of 6 washers x 1mm:

IMG_8745.JPG

Now I test fit it onto my Brembo Brake Caliper and as you can see despite using 6 x 1mm washer, the 29mm bolt is still too long as I can't tightened it to go in more,
and there are visible gaps between the copper washer even with 6 x 1mm stacks of cooper washer.
(by the way, I also just test fit using this double banjo bolts, Staublis banjo with 6 stacks of 1mm washer on both my RCS17 Corsa Corta brakes MC and stock Brembo clutch MC,
and the gap was even worse since both of the MCs has less thread than the caliper below)
IMG_8744.JPG

Now, lets use the slightly longer ProTi 21mm single banjo bolt instead and as you can see they threaded all the way in properly 🤓,
so I am pretty sure the 21mm ProTi single (but slightly longer) banjo bolts is the best length for our application with this switch or with the Staublis:
IMG_8747.JPGIMG_8748.JPG

Last edited:

Lucati

Staff member
Thanks so much Lucati,

I visit the eBay page that you point out above, and just in time to purchased the last switch available 😋
By the way, I notice the thickness of this switch is only 3 mm, so a double 29mm banjo bolts might be too long, while the regular single19mm banjo bolts might be too short.

I wasn't going to post about this until my thread is up to date, but it looks like it will takes longer for me to completely update my build thread since there are so many things to transfer from my old build thread...
so here we go:

I plan to use Staubli Quick Dry Disconnect system and their banjo fitting is about 3mm thicker than your normal banjo fitting, so exactly the same added thickness of this switch.
and since you also purchase a lot of ProTi Titanium Bolts, you might already knew that ProTi offer a longer Titanium single banjo bolt with 21mm length.
But just in case you are not aware,...
so I purchased 1 pieces of this 21mm single longer titanium banjo bolt from ProTi to test fit, and it arrived a few days ago. (standard single banjo bolts length is 19mm)

(you might also remember that one "notorious so called resident expert" at the old forum with a forum handle name like a "medical procedure" 🤣😂🤒
claimed / posted on my old thread that he knew only 1 manufacturer IN THE WORLD that made a longer custom TITANIUM single banjo bolt that will work with the Staubli banjo and ask people to PM him so he can sell it to them 🤑 🤪)

Well, turn out, ProTi already make a longer Titanium single banjo bolt and the ProTi Part# is M10L21-OT03 link: PROTI Fully Forged 64 Titanium Bolts, Panigale,S1000RR,RSV4
so we don't need to PM that "fakeDOC" 🤕🤮🤧🥴

Here are 2 pictures to compare their length from 19mmvs21mm and 29mmvs21mm to better illustrate (the gold one is 21mm):
View attachment 387View attachment 388

The washer for Banjo application came in 3 sizes, 1mm thickness (stock Ducati cooper washer), 1.5mm thickness (most aftermarket cooper washer) and 2mm thickness (aftermarket cooper or aluminum washer).

I plan to use 1mm washer and for this switch application it will need total of 3 washers in total.

Again my Staubli banjo fitting total thickness is about the same as the combined thickness of a regular banjo fitting plus the switch fitting, so by using Staubli fitting, its thickness is enough to simulate the combine thickness of the regular banjo plus the switch fitting.

Now, let's try to use the double banjo bolts at 29mm length first. And assume we will be using 3 washers with the most thickest 2mm.
Since I only have the Ducati stock 1mm washer (well I have 2mm aluminum washers, but it is hidden somewhere in many of the boxes in my garage) so, I will just simulate this by using 6 Ducati washer with 1mm thickness instead
after all 3 x 2mm = 6 x 1mm, and below are the pictures of 6 washers x 1mm:

View attachment 389

Now I test fit it onto my Brembo Brake Caliper and as you can see despite using 6 x 1mm washer, the 29mm bolt is still too long as I can't tightened it to go in more,
and there are visible gaps between the copper washer even with 6 x 1mm stacks of cooper washer.
(by the way, I also just test fit using this double banjo bolts, Staublis banjo with 6 stacks of 1mm washer on both my RCS17 Corsa Corta brakes MC and stock Brembo clutch MC,
and the gap was even worse since both of the MCs has less thread than the caliper below)
View attachment 390

Now, lets use the slightly longer ProTi 21mm single banjo bolt instead and as you can see they threaded all the way in properly 🤓,
so I am pretty sure the 21mm ProTi single (but slightly longer) banjo bolts is the best length for our application with this switch or with the Staublis:
View attachment 391View attachment 392
Ah! I didn’t even think about needing a longer banjo bolt. It would have came
To thought when I was installing it, but then that would have put me back much more time. Life
Saver!
as always, great info 🙏🏻

Lucati

Staff member
I glanced through that website the other day, never seen it before, wrs.it . I saw an ohlins damper with a black finish. It looks waaayyy better than the regular aluminum finish one, only reason I bought that one because I thought there was no other option. Have to switch these out in the near future
CB304EA0-9D7D-4E4C-9FD3-979A179D8C79.jpeg
58F008B1-4713-4B92-B81B-CF35F22C318F.jpeg

Lucati

Staff member
So I ran into a problem. I was replacing my left foot holder. 2 bolts go through that, then through the kick-stand assembly, then thread into the engine block. The threads in both those holes STRIPPED. I have no idea how it even happen. I use a torque wrench for everything, and I figured out they were stripped before I even tightened down the bolts, so it just doesn’t make sense. Anyway, gotta fix it. I tried to renew the existing threads and clean them up but they’re totally gone. Anyone have experience with making new threads? It’s an M8x1.25 bolts. Should I drill and tap it to a M10x1.25? Any help is appreciated!

BMW Alpina

Staff member
So I ran into a problem. I was replacing my left foot holder. 2 bolts go through that, then through the kick-stand assembly, then thread into the engine block. The threads in both those holes STRIPPED. I have no idea how it even happen. I use a torque wrench for everything, and I figured out they were stripped before I even tightened down the bolts, so it just doesn’t make sense. Anyway, gotta fix it. I tried to renew the existing threads and clean them up but they’re totally gone. Anyone have experience with making new threads? It’s an M8x1.25 bolts. Should I drill and tap it to a M10x1.25? Any help is appreciated!
Hi Lucati,

Is the thread that was broken on the engine block?
If yes, then I think the best way is to use Thread Inserts:
M8 x 1.25 Threaded Inserts - Grainger Industrial Supply

This is a search result from YouTube video that show many videos on how to use Thread Insert:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=helicoil+thread+repair+M8

I actually use a version of locking thread insert on this post:
DUCATI Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 BUILD Thread
but I used it to convert thread size.

Lucati

Staff member
Hi Lucati,

Is the thread that was broken on the engine block?
If yes, then I think the best way is to use Thread Inserts:
M8 x 1.25 Threaded Inserts - Grainger Industrial Supply

This is a search result from YouTube video that show many videos on how to use Thread Insert:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=helicoil+thread+repair+M8

I actually use a version of locking thread insert on this post:
DUCATI Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 BUILD Thread
but I used it to convert thread size.

Yes it was the threads in the engine block.

Awesome, thank you!

Lucati

Staff member
Amazon prime came through with 1 day delivery of the inserts. I’ve never done it before but it’s a pretty straight forward process.
heres one completed...
5F317985-9192-485A-942D-3D8A11D6F583.jpeg
Both completed...
035BECBF-F675-4A3E-BBA4-13D87655F009.jpeg

bolts are in and torqued to spec...
63D06203-9863-413E-A7F8-65972EE8B6EE.jpeg

have some titanium bolts on order to replace those ugly ones( not that they are seen with fairing on, but I can see them)

Lucati

Staff member
Switch for the brembo RCS came in today...too bad I no longer need it with the new MC coming. I’ll just hold onto it, maybe I’ll use it in the future.
0492A2A2-C845-4BE5-898B-CCCF736AF6D1.jpeg

Lucati

Staff member
Gave it a little wash yesterday...not near as good Of a job that HKMP7 can do though.

F91DB475-A712-425E-A65B-B235B663C606.jpeg
D416226D-CAB6-46CD-B965-788275C82113.jpeg
received today the other “washer like” clutch switch and the ProTi banjo bolt, though it still may be too short even though it’s the longer 21mm one.Im just waiting on a new clutch line and the new billet MC to bring it all together.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Gave it a little wash yesterday...not near as good Of a job that HKMP7 can do though.

View attachment 901
View attachment 902
received today the other “washer like” clutch switch and the ProTi banjo bolt, though it still may be too short even though it’s the longer 21mm one.Im just waiting on a new clutch line and the new billet MC to bring it all together.
Hi Lucati,
I also received the clutch switch that you recommended from that eBay seller, and mine came with a longer 25mm bolts. It also came with a much thicker 1.5mm washer though. Did you also received that bolts?

By the way, your bronze color swing arm combine with the carbon rear mudguard is very very nice 😍

Lucati

Staff member
Hi Lucati,
I also received the clutch switch that you recommended from that eBay seller, and mine came with a longer 25mm bolts. It also came with a much thicker 1.5mm washer though. Did you also received that bolts?

By the way, your bronze color swing arm combine with the carbon rear mudguard is very very nice 😍
Thank you, much appreciated🙏🏻
Awesome, yes I also received the longer bolt and the washers. I have 1mm washers as well so when the other items come I will see which will work best

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Lucati,

I am really curious to find TITANIUM Banjo Bolts with the "ideal" length so I do more searches and managed to found several sources that at least from their drawing is 25mm (thread length below the head) :

Win By - Titanium Alloy Banjo Bolt M10 x 1.0 Pitch 25mm Thread For Brembo Single Brake Line for BMW Ducati KTM Husqvarna Triumph Aprilia - - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: LIWIN Motorbike Accessories Titanium Alloy Banjo Bolt M10 x 1.0 Pitch 25mm Thread for Brembo Single Brake Line for KTM for BMW for Husqvarna for Triumph for Aprilia for Ducati: Automotive

and here is a cheap vendor at Aliexpress: US $6.28 9% OFF|Titanium Alloy Banjo Bolt M10 x 1.0 Pitch 25mm Thread For Brembo Single Brake Line for KTM BMW Husqvarna Triumph Aprilia Ducati|Covers & Ornamental Mouldings| - AliExpress

And this one I am not so sure, the description said thread length but no drawing, however this is the cheapest on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Off-Road-Titanium-Hydraulic-Husqvarna/dp/B07MW7TJR5/

However, if you are OK with 23mm length then you can purchase from MCET in Germany but a bit higher price (both the bolts and the shipping cost):
banjo bolt M 10 x 1.0 x 23 titanium for Stäubli-ZB.138/1.0T
I just ordered 4 pieces from MCET Germany store since I think 23mm is perfect for Staubli quick disconnect, plus the MCET Titanium Banjo Bolt is Made in Germany.
By the way, for out of Germany order, their default payment is bank transfer, however, they will send you an order acknowledgement along with approximation of the shipping cost, then you can reply to that email to tell them your PayPal account so you can pay by PayPal.
If you decided to purchase, please kindly told the MCET owner, that Howard refer him to you. The MCET owner is very nice and now considering to be our forum supporting vendor too :D

Here is a picture of the MCET Titanium Banjo Bolt:

Last edited: