Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I am actually looking to upgrade my injectors on my Hypermotard but not sure what to go with. I believe I'm having issues with the front one so why not upgrade at that time. You parts list is really coming together. I can't wait to see the build progress.
Hi Tim,
The reason I upgrade is because I have to do custom tuning anyway since everything on the engine will not be the same as stock (lightened crankshaft, larger piston, port head, different timing, different exhaust, different airbox), but from what I noticed, even this injector rates with the similar flow as the stock injector, in theory in flows differently.
So you might need to retune your ECU if you upgrade your injectors even if it seemed to have the same flow...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Well, turn out more parts and tools arrived (a bit later) today 😁:

First, the Brembo Billet Rear Caliper in Nickel Finished,...
so my Panigale V4 916 25 Anniversario was modified with many GOLD Theme Parts because the original 916 had that golden Magnesium Frame, Wheel, Brake etc...
basically making the bike look more RETRO πŸ˜‰

However, the 998s Final Edition was equipped with SILVER Frame, Silver Wheel and more subdue tone, so I want to keep that 998s FE theme by using mostly SILVER or NICKEL finished on this project.
Well, unless the part is really magnesium then... that is why this Brembo Nickel Plated finish was choosen. I also plan to use a NICKEL plated front caliper, perhaps the GP4-MS.
Because I actually want to make the 998s FE to look more MODERN 🀩
IMG_3451.JPGIMG_3452.JPG

EVR Carbon Fiber Radiator Fluid Reservoir because the stock plastic will crack due to age, plus this will match with the upcoming EVR LARGER Carbon Fiber Airbox:
IMG_3455.JPGIMG_3456.JPG
IMG_3457.JPG

Scotts reusable BILLET oil filter, beautifully made... I wonder if they have a version for the Panigale V4, I need to check :love::
IMG_3453.JPGIMG_3454.JPG

Nichols, Double Flywheel Nut to make sure it won't become loose, which is a tendency of Ducati stock single nut system:
IMG_3460.JPG

Since I plan to change the flywheel with lighter flywheel from K-Bike, so I need to buy the Special Tool to replace the flywheel from K-Bike and this tool is HUGE 🧐:
IMG_3458.JPGIMG_3459.JPG

AELLA locking pin to match the still on the way AELLA 12 points Titanium Rear Axle nuts:
IMG_3461.JPG

AEM Titanium Steering Hub Nut, and yes, they have a lot of scratches, but I actually expected this scratches due to my experience with buying the titanium steering hub nut for my Panigale V4,...
it seemed that machining Titanium with this intricate of details is not easy... so I plan to just hand polish them myself... (and if not good enough, I will send it to a professional polisher)...
IMG_3465.JPGIMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG

Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder in Silver color, because again for the 998s FE, the theme is SILVER πŸ˜‰:
IMG_3469.JPGIMG_3470.JPG

How about some RED in between though, well, this is because for the Crankcase breather, STM only produce them in Red so I take red like Ducati Red 🀩:
IMG_3475.JPGIMG_3476.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG

More K-Bike tools for the Cam Pulley and Timing Belt, plus other engine related tools:
IMG_3463.JPG

Kbike Cylinder Head Nut tools:
IMG_3472.JPG

continue below

BMW Alpina

Staff member
More K-Bike tools and Moto MFG tools:
IMG_3473.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG
IMG_3474.JPG

Tapered Bearing for the steering hub, that is better than the stock non tapered Ducati bearing:
IMG_3464.JPG

And K-Bike TITANIUM Stud for the Oil Filter Mounting:
IMG_3471.JPG

and so much more still on the way πŸ₯³;):cool:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Well, I wish it's a Ferrari from Maranello, however, for the time being, I am happy with a BRAND NEW DEEP SUMP Crankcase for Ducati 2005/2006 999S engine 😍😘πŸ₯°:

As usual, my puppy need to inspect the box to make sure everything is good and NO CONTRABAND πŸ˜‰:
IMG_3521.JPG

Then, after he give me the "Everything CLEARED", I proceed to open the box, yes, even the box is still the original box from Ducati Ricambi :cool::
IMG_3526.JPG

Inside the box still wrapped and one more inspection just to be sure 🀣:
IMG_3527.JPGIMG_3528.JPG

Took it out of the box, and well more Puppy Inspections:
IMG_3529.JPGIMG_3532.JPG

And please pay attention to my finger on the 2 pictures below, because that is what DEEP SUMP engine looks like. All European 998S, 996R, 998R plus 999S/R and 2005 and above base 999 has the DEEP SUMP crankcase.
However, the US version of 998S including Bayliss/Bostrom and Final Edition all have Shallow Sump Crankcase. That is why I really want this DEEP SUMP Crankcase, and luckily someone in Maranello still have 1 last one.
IMG_3531.JPGIMG_3530.JPG

Some more pictures, sneak peak inside the crankcase:
IMG_3533.JPGIMG_3534.JPG

I actually also purchase a COMPLETE 2005 Ducati 999S engine SEPARATELY. It is a used engine with only about 2,000 miles on it and its still on the way to my house.
However, despite the low mileage, it is still a slightly used engine, and most likely the crankcase will never look as new as well a BRAND NEW crankcase πŸ€ͺ
That is why I purchase this Brand New Crankcase just to make my engine looks NEW and have all the new bearings in it.

Beside, the upper cylinder block and head will be bored out and port flow, so those slightly used cylinder block and head will be brand new again after the bore out and port flow.
The Crankshaft will also be lightened with the Pankl Titanium Con-Ron worked to make them like new spec.
In summary after all this parts combined, I will have a brand new engine minus slightly used S/R Camshaft and gearboxes. But that is ok since those camshaft and gearbox barely wear anyway.

Hopefully later today, some of the used engine will arrive too and I will update as soon as they arrive πŸ˜ƒ

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Some parts from the used engine arrived this evening πŸ˜ƒ :

IMG_3542.JPG

First the large Gear behind the clutch:
IMG_3543.JPGIMG_3544.JPG

Second, generator side cover, although it looks clean enough, the finished of course is no longer as shiny as the the BRAND NEW Crankcase so I will refinished it... Still thinking painting or cerakote. I was originally thinking of finding a real magnesium version, however, there is a water pump attached to this cover and the magnesium will rust
when expose to water for a long time so it might be better to stay with this aluminum version and just paint it in magnesium color if I prefer in Magnesium finish. The seller also include the original bolt/hardware which I will replace with a ProTi Titanium in Silver Color for sure 🀩
IMG_3545.JPGIMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3547.JPGIMG_3548.JPG

Third the clutch cover side:
IMG_3551.JPGIMG_3552.JPG

Now the clutch cover of the 999 (and certain Monster) is different than the 998 because it has this threaded holes for the oil line to the cylinder head (pointed by my finger below):
IMG_3553.JPGIMG_3554.JPG

The clutch stud and also the starter motor:
IMG_3549.JPGIMG_3550.JPG

Finally the braided hose for that connection between the clutch cover to the cylinder head which I plan to replace with a Goodridge Aramid Fiber G-LINE XF 910 hoses which I can assembled by myself using reusable fittings πŸ€“
and the used timing belt, which I will not reuse of course πŸ˜‡
IMG_3555.JPGIMG_3556.JPG

By the way,
I took more picture of the BRAND NEW Crankcase right where the oil filter will reside and that center stud, will be replace by the titanium version from K-Bike soon:
IMG_3535.JPG

Oh, almost forgot, another part also arrived today, the original Ducati (VINTAGE NEW OLD STOCK/NOS) Carbon Fiber Sprocket Cover, very super rare in brand new condition manufactured back in March 25, 2008 😎πŸ₯³:
IMG_3536.JPGIMG_3537.JPGIMG_3538.JPG

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
Some parts from the used engine arrived this evening πŸ˜ƒ :

View attachment 5885

First the large Gear behind the clutch:
View attachment 5886View attachment 5887

Second, generator side cover, although it looks clean enough, the finished of course is no longer as shiny as the the BRAND NEW Crankcase so I will refinished it... Still thinking painting or cerakote. I was originally thinking of finding a real magnesium version, however, there is a water pump attached to this cover and the magnesium will rust
when expose to water for a long time so it might be better to stay with this aluminum version and just paint it in magnesium color if I prefer in Magnesium finish. The seller also include the original bolt/hardware which I will replace with a ProTi Titanium in Silver Color for sure 🀩
View attachment 5888View attachment 5889
View attachment 5890View attachment 5894

Third the clutch cover side:
View attachment 5891View attachment 5892

Now the clutch cover of the 999 (and certain Monster) is different than the 998 because it has this threaded holes for the oil line to the cylinder head (pointed by my finger below):
View attachment 5893View attachment 5895

The clutch stud and also the starter motor:
View attachment 5896View attachment 5897

Finally the braided hose for that connection between the clutch cover to the cylinder head which I plan to replace with a Goodridge Aramid Fiber G-LINE XF 910 hoses which I can assembled by myself using reusable fittings πŸ€“
and the used timing belt, which I will not reuse of course πŸ˜‡
View attachment 5898View attachment 5899

By the way,
I took more picture of the BRAND NEW Crankcase right where the oil filter will reside and that center stud, will be replace by the titanium version from K-Bike soon:
View attachment 5900

Oh, almost forgot, another part also arrived today, the original Ducati (VINTAGE NEW OLD STOCK/NOS) Carbon Fiber Sprocket Cover, very super rare in brand new condition manufactured back in March 25, 2008 😎πŸ₯³:
View attachment 5901View attachment 5902View attachment 5903
What made you go with the solid primary clutch gear as opposed to the lighter OEM drilled gear? I thought the drilled one came on most special edition bikes. When I was doing my dry clutch conversion I ended up ordering many of these to find the right one (crank gears come in two different configuration. Taper fit and splined fit).
In the end I ended up with the drilled one and weighing them the drilled one was quite a bit lighter. Some race guys go a little further and machine them to make them even lighter. Just curious if you were shooting for originality or it's a gearset you came across.
Screenshot_20211005-061623_eBay.jpg

Araitim

Staff member
Here are a couple examples of companies that go a little farther with the lightening but the one in the reply above is an OEM 999sp gear because I was having an issue finding examples quickly.
Screenshot_20211005-062430_Google.jpgScreenshot_20211005-062320_Google.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Tim,
The primary clutch gear that I posted above was the original gear that came with my used 2005 999S engine.
So the 2005 and 2006 999S engine already have their crankshaft lightened from the factory plus they have the Pankl Titanium Connecting rods from the factory.

I am undecided regarding whether I am keeping this original non-drilled clutch gear or replace it with lighter drilled/machined version.

However, I talked to an engine builder before I ordered my K-Bike Flywheel and he told me to choose the 800 grams version of the K-bike flywheel instead of the 500 grams version because the 500 grams versions might be too light for street use (jerky and hard to idle).
Please note that I will lighten my current already lighten crankshaft even further, plus knife edge and polished. I also already order the lighter STM EVO SBK slipper clutch which also should be lighter than stock clutch. and the larger bore piston will actually be lighter than the stock smaller bore piston.
So, all the above will reduce the weight even further.
But thanks so much for this information regarding lightening the primary clutch gear, I will check with my engine builder to see if I can use lighter primary clutch gear for street use.

Also, please note that this 998/999S engine combo bike does not have any traction control, and if everything is too light, it might be more dangerous to drive during wet weather because the throttle is very responsive, (not that I am even thinking of riding it in the wet 🀣 but just in case)

Last edited:

Araitim

Staff member
Hi Tim,
The primary clutch gear that I posted above was the original gear that came with my used 2005 999S engine.
So the 2005 and 2006 999S engine already have their crankshaft lightened from the factory plus they have the Pankl Titanium Connecting rods from the factory.

I am undecided regarding whether I am keeping this original non-drilled clutch gear or replace it with lighter drilled/machined version.

However, I talked to an engine builder before I ordered my K-Bike Flywheel and he told me to choose the 800 grams version of the K-bike flywheel instead of the 500 grams version because the 500 grams versions might be too light for street use (jerky and hard to idle).
Please note that I will lighten my current already lighten crankshaft even further, plus knife edge and polished. I also already order the lighter STM EVO SBK slipper clutch which also should be lighter than stock clutch. and the larger bore piston will actually be lighter than the stock smaller bore piston.
So, all the above will reduce the weight even further.
But thanks so much for this information regarding lightening the primary clutch gear, I will check with my engine builder to see if I can use lighter primary clutch gear for street use.

Also, please note that this 998/999S engine combo bike does not have any traction control, and if everything is too light, it might be more dangerous to drive during wet weather because the throttle is very responsive, (not that I am even thinking of riding it in the wet 🀣 but just in case)
I have also heard that the super light flywheel options are too light for the street use. When I was machining down my OEM flywheel I also have read of numerous failures with the aluminum Nichols flywheel for street use. Something about the splines wollowing out backing off the Nichols nuts and metal shavings in the oil. That's won't be an issue for you since I believe the Kbike is steel(almost bought that one but it was easier for me to just machine the OEM plus I don't usually have funds for that type of stuff). Just sharing what I have learned that might help.

Do you intend on micro polishing / hard coating / nano coating teeth on the gears and trans gears? I micro polished my primary gears just because I had it out and could. Doubt it made any difference at all for me since it was just the primary crank and primary clutch gears but I hear doing this to the trans gears make for a butter smooth shifting and a very very long life. I thought micro polishing was the best thing for gears but it was explained to me by someone in the field there are some super good nano coatings that are a very worthwhile investment given the smoothness and the increased life for track and street.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Tim,
Yes, the K-bike is steel and I agree with you to avoid the aluminum flywheel like Nichols. Beside the Nichols is about half the weight of the lighter K-Bike flywheel so the Nichols is for sure too light for a 999 engine. Maybe for a 916 engine with stock heavy crank it will work well (the weight).
I actually "accidentally" visit Nichols shop because it is right next to the cerakote shop that I use here in the bay area :).

I never heard about micro polishing and coating of the transmission gear. I learn something new again today, thanks to you.
I will look into this because there are 2 things that will be reused from the used engine untouch which is the transmission gear and the camshaft, but if I micro polish and nano coating the transmission gear, it will make it better than new gear πŸ˜ƒ
So I will for sure look into this.
Also, you say you micro polished your primary gears. Are you doing this by yourself? or do you have a shop do it for you? Please advise more. Thanks

Araitim

Staff member
I did the micropolishing myself. They normal way is to put them in a tumbler with some abrasive cones and some light lubricant and let them vibrate for a long time. This polishes the entire gear. I used the same method that I use to polish metals to a mirror finish. Spiral sewn cotton wheels stacked on my bench grinder and the use of tripoli compound, white rouge and healers rouge. I only did this on the teeth themselves but they were extremely flat and mirror finish. I add and subtract cotton wheels depending on what I'm doing and where I have to reach. The idea is to sreate a smooth flat surface to minimize friction between teeth. I don't have pics of the gear teeth but there is this image of a Drz exhaust (pipe work itsself not the silencer) years back using the same method. I even polish up my wife's jewelry from time to time 🀣. 2021-10-05_16.14.20.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Thanks Tim, micropolishing has been added to my to do list πŸ˜ƒ
By the way, I found this official Ducati Video showing how to work on the Ducati 998R Engine:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
More engine parts arrived today, but of course, first we need the "infrastructure" to properly work on the engine hence the K-Bike engine stand (I haven't have the time to assembled it, still flat packed):
IMG_3557.JPGIMG_3558.JPG

And The Cylinder Heads, Cylinder Blocks and Pistons:
IMG_3563.JPGIMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3562.JPGIMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3565.JPGIMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3564.JPGIMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3566.JPGIMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3567.JPGIMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3570.JPGIMG_3579.JPG

IMG_3569.JPGIMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3571.JPGIMG_3584.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

continue below

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I went on a shopping spree because I found some NOS (New Old Stock) treasure of parts this weekend, and so happy that it arrive in just 2 days πŸ₯³:

Ducati 998R 6 row oil cooler with QUICK CHANGE/RELEASE connection, as you can see on the second picture the hole for the hose is NOT thread but will rely on O-Ring on the hose, and lock with a clip.
The reason is, this oil cooler is located right behind the front tire, and will suffer some marks from dirts and stone thrown by the front tire. I hate it when I see a dirty and full of chips oil cooler.
But this new and better oil cooler not to mention BRAND NEW, will surely make the bike look new again.
Initially, I was thinking of buying either the H20 or Febur larger oil cooler, but those oil cooler will require some cutting of the original plastic/carbon fairings and I don't want to do that so this is the best choice that met all my requirements.
IMG_3608.JPG IMG_3609.JPG

The special hose for the oil cooler with the O-ring end and the clip to lock it in place:
IMG_3613.JPGIMG_3619.JPG

Below is the NOS turn signal cover and NOS rubber wiring clamp:

IMG_3610.JPGIMG_3614.JPG

NOS Ducati Corse racing exhaust spacer (in case I need it) and the washers for exhaust heat guard:
IMG_3616.JPGIMG_3617.JPG

Next is the new spring clip for front rear view mirrors and Engine Bolt mounting to frame stud NUT:
IMG_3615.JPGIMG_3618.JPG

I also found several service manual NOS of course, that I think will be good for this build, and later for display in the showcase around the bikes πŸ₯³:
IMG_3611.JPGIMG_3612.JPG

Then about a week ago, I found an even RARER NOS treasure, the original Ducati Carbon Fiber Belly Pan for Ducati 998R, 996R, 998s Final Edition, 998s Ben Borstrom and 998s Troy Bayliss. This NO LONGER in Production, and this is why I purchase a bike this weekend. I will explain more in the next few days, but in the meantime. here it is, just arrived today:
IMG_3620.JPGIMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3622.JPGIMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3624.JPGIMG_3625.JPG

And last shipment arrive today is the long awaited LOWER Crankcase with the Crankshaft and Titanium Pankl Connecting Ron (ConRod) from 2005 Ducati 999s. I will split this crankcase as soon as I am free with my sons, to extract the Crankshaft and ConRods, oh and the gearbox, but I will not be using this crankcase since I already bought a Brand New replacement Crankcase so the engine will look new πŸ˜‰πŸ€©:
IMG_3626.JPGIMG_3627.JPG
IMG_3628.JPG

a few more pictures below:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Another amazing parts arrived this morning :love:

Initially, I was planning to order the original Ducati 996R/998R Rear Carbon Fiber Subframe Lower Cover from Ducati.
That is until I found out about Ducati 996RS CORSE Carbon Fiber LARGER Breather Tank/Oil Catch Tank that is integrated to the rear lower subframe cover !!!

However, of course original Ducati CORSE parts is no longer available, but Corsa Garage here in San Francisco offer the exact replica. I contacted Corsa Garage yesterday to make sure I can still install a stock license plate bracket onto it since the picture on Corsa Garage website does not show any mounting holes.
Turn out, Corsa Garage has a version with the 2 threaded mounting holes plus one through holes and they have it in stock ready to ship. I pay right away (just yesterday morning) and it already arrived at my home this morning !!! That is SUPER FAST !!! πŸ₯³

Oh, I also order the Silicone Hose Kit for it that has the perfect bend 🀩
I recommend to check out Corsa Garage website, they have great stuff, great price and amazing service (y)

Once I open the box, I am just so happy because it looks so amazing, actually it look like one of those stealth navy ship 😎:
IMG_3633.JPGIMG_3635.JPG
IMG_3636.JPGIMG_3634.JPG
IMG_3632.JPGIMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPGIMG_3639.JPG