Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that the O2 sensor/Lambda plug that came with my Motocorse 60.5mm full system exhaust was ugly and rusting steel, so I bought the TiCON Titanium Grade 5 O2 sensor bung plug, size M18 x 1.5mm.
IMG_5626.JPG

Below is comparison between new Titanium and rusted steel:
IMG_5627.JPGIMG_5628.JPG

First, add Loctite Nickel Anti-Seize:
IMG_5629.JPG

Tightened with Torque Wrench and voila, so much nicer:
IMG_5630.JPGIMG_5631.JPG

Now, I need to do the same with the rear vertical cylinder manifold, look how ugly the rusting steel bung was:
IMG_5632.JPGIMG_5633.JPG

Replace with the new Titanium bung plug:
IMG_5634.JPGIMG_5635.JPG
IMG_5636.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I still have a lot of updates that I have not posted, but today, I decided to start working on the Fuel Line, so I need to temporarily install the airbox and the fuel tank.
And I was so happy today to see everything looks even better than what I imagined when I chose all the materials and colors:

IMG_5854.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

IMG_5864.JPG

IMG_5868.JPG

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I bought a brand new Ducati wire harness for some other Ducati model that has the same Magneti Marelli ECU so I can reuse their brand new ECU connectors:
IMG_5600.JPGIMG_5601.JPG

The bushings to install the taillight also arrived, so I started installing the tail light (note all of these are a few weeks ago):
IMG_5602.JPGIMG_5603.JPG

Unfortunately, the red reflector (cat eye) part of the tail light does not fit properly so the entire tail fairing cannot close because it hit the much longer Motocorse silencers:
IMG_5610.JPGIMG_5611.JPG

So, I took out the taillight again and dremel the protruding mounting point flat:
IMG_5612.JPGIMG_5613.JPG

IMG_5614.JPGIMG_5615.JPG

Here how it looks after I reinstalled the taillights on the bike:
IMG_5616.JPG

Now it can close properly (fully):
IMG_5617.JPGIMG_5618.JPG

Then I tidy up the wiring harness the way the factory routing is:
IMG_5619.JPGIMG_5620.JPG

IMG_5621.JPGIMG_5623.JPG

But I felt something missing, and I drilled the holes again for mounting the red reflector, but now, it need stand off spacer, so I ordered a vinyl stand off spacer from Amazon:
IMG_5624.JPGIMG_5625.JPG

Here are the assortment of vinyl stand-offs:
IMG_5725.JPG

I use Loctite to secure them:
IMG_5726.JPG

Continue below...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
IMG_5727.JPGIMG_5728.JPG
IMG_5729.JPG

I have some extra gold color ProTi Titanium bolts and nuts that I no longer need ex my other bike, so I decided to just use them (instead of ordering the same size but in silver color) because it will take at least 1 month if I ordered a new ProTi bolts from Bellissimoto:
IMG_5730.JPGIMG_5731.JPG

IMG_5732.JPG

It is PERFECT now:
IMG_5738.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Miscellaneous updates:

I found out that I forgot to purchase an M4 bolts for this starter switch so I purchase the Mettec Titanium bolts because ProTi did not make it in this size:
IMG_5638.JPG

Comparison between Mettec Titanium bolts vs. Stock bolts, by the way, one bolt is longer than the other:
IMG_5639.JPGIMG_5640.JPG

Both Mettec Titanium bolts installed:
IMG_5641.JPGIMG_5642.JPG

Installing Podium Racing Titanium DZUS fastener along with the Ducati original female part of the DZUS:
IMG_5646.JPGIMG_5644.JPG

For now, I installed it on the Carbon Belly Pan:
IMG_5645.JPG

The filler neck for radiator reservoir paint had been cured and ready to be installed on to EVR Carbon Fiber radiator coolant reservoir:

IMG_5647.JPGIMG_5648.JPG
IMG_5649.JPGIMG_5650.JPG

The Ducati original O-Ring for it:
IMG_5651.JPGIMG_5652.JPG

Installed:
IMG_5653.JPGIMG_5654.JPG

IMG_5655.JPGIMG_5656.JPG

Now, I am just waiting for the ProTi Titanium Bolt to secure this red anodized pained filler neck because I previously forgot to buy it.

More updates soon.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Time to install the Stainless Steel reuseable Oil Filter from Scotts:
IMG_5663.JPG

Add oil to the thread:
IMG_5664.JPG

The stud for the oil filter in the engine block also have been replaced a while ago with Titanium Stud:
IMG_5667.JPG

Screw the Oil Filter in:
IMG_5668.JPGIMG_5669.JPG

Installed:
IMG_5670.JPGIMG_5671.JPG

The pins for the ECU connectors also arrived from UK:
IMG_5675.JPGIMG_5676.JPG

IMG_5677.JPGIMG_5678.JPG

I bought the Ducati original insert to mount the lower carbon fiber belly pan onto the 998 crankcase, but somehow it is too large in size, and no way I can press it in,...
So I found an alternative way. Actually an even better way, I bought this brass expandable insert from Amazon:
IMG_5679.JPG

Which I am going to use with Motocorse Titanium side stand switch bolt:
IMG_5680.JPG

It fit the hole in the crankcase perfectly:
IMG_5681.JPGIMG_5682.JPG

And it is PERFECT, ready to hole the 998s original Carbon Belly Pan:
IMG_5683.JPGIMG_5684.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Again, this was done a few weeks ago,

First, I collect the tools I need to build the Goodridge Aramid Fiber Reinforced Braided hose for the Cylinder Head Oil Line. Below is the cutting tool:
IMG_5691.JPG

Cut the end of the hose to get rid of the messy braided fiber:
IMG_5692.JPGIMG_5693.JPG

IMG_5694.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG

Apply a bit of oil to the fitting and place it on the plastic jaw to hold it steady:
IMG_5697.JPG

Insert the hose (turn it clockwise until bottomed) then tightened the nut with special aluminum AN wrench (to prevent marring/scratch of the surface on the aluminum nut/fitting):
IMG_5698.JPGIMG_5699.JPG

Done:
IMG_5700.JPG

There will be 3 separate hoses, and I am working on the first hose that goes from the clutch cover to the TEE that will distribute the oil to both cylinder heads.
The TEE is made from Stainless Steel and I bought from UK. This TEE had a mounting hole to secure it to bracket and please note this is a 4AN size hose and tee.
Because I want it to have equivalent hose size to the original Ducati oil line. Most of the ready to use aftermarket kit are 3AN (smaller size designed for brake line). I want to make sure my cylinder head received enough flows of oil, thus why I make this custom hose.
I can also buy a stock Ducati hose, but they does not look as nice as this Goodridge :cool:
IMG_5701.JPG

Next, I need to cut the right length to be connected to clutch banjo:
IMG_5702.JPGIMG_5703.JPG

For this line, I need to install the fitting without the vise because once this end fitting is installed, I cannot simply route the pipe behind the engine cover without removing the engine cover:
IMG_5704.JPG