Ducati 998s FE Final Edition (REPLICA but MODIFIED FAR BEYOND the Original) Build Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I continued with installing the original (New Old Stock) 998 radiator today. I posted in the past on how I further modified with AELLA protector, new OEM electric fans, and as usual all ProTi Titanium Bolts:
IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG

Insert the right mounting bracket into the right frame stud:
IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG

Then using all factory spacer, I secure the left side:
IMG_3059.JPGIMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3065.JPG

Then the last lower mounting point directly to the left cylinder block cover, using the special bracket and stud from Ducati, with Loctite as advised by the service manual:
IMG_3066.JPGIMG_3067.JPG

And done:
IMG_3068.JPGIMG_3069.JPG
IMG_3070.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Next naturally is the oil cooler,
IMG_3072.JPG

First, I need to install the double stud that also acts as a cylinder head oil drain. This special double stud had been painted in Anodized Red by me:
IMG_3073.JPG

Noticed I add cooper gasket for the oil drain side and Loctite:
IMG_3074.JPGIMG_3075.JPG

Protect with painter's tape, tightened to 12Nm:
IMG_3076.JPG

Install the cerakoted bracket with ProTi Titanium nut and screw:

IMG_3079.JPG
IMG_3080.JPG

On the left side there is a Ducati OEM aluminum spacer between the oil cooler bracket and the cylinder head:
IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

Now attached the oil cooler to the oil cooler bracket:
IMG_3081.JPG
IMG_3082.JPG
IMG_3083.JPG
IMG_3084.JPG

After this, time to install the gorgeous satin matte painted original New Old Stock Ducati Performance Carbon Fiber V Cover:
IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG
IMG_3089.JPG
IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3088.JPG
IMG_3090.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Ok... I remember, the reason I decided to install the radiator/oil cooler this weekend is so I can test whether my Ducati Original Carbon Fiber Timing Belt Cover for 999S (with air intake) can fit behind 998 radiator/V-Cover.

You can see the air intake:
IMG_3091.JPG
IMG_3092.JPG

Unfortunately they hit the V-Cover so they can't line up with the crankcase:
IMG_3093.JPG

As you can clearly see on the right side there is gap with the crankcase (well, actually cylinder head, not crankcase):
IMG_3094.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

Out of curiosity, I still want to try the cover for the Vertical Cylinder because, I can always CUT/TRIM the intake of the horizontal cylinder cover,
But they also will not fit. The issue now is the clearance with the frame of the bike since the intake has "hump":
IMG_3097.JPGIMG_3098.JPG

So soon, I will be selling my 999 original Ducati Carbon Fiber Timing Belt Cover:
IMG_3099.JPG

The good news is, I already find and bought an original NEW OLD STOCK Ilmberger Dry Carbon Timing Belt Cover for 998. It should arrive in about 2 weeks, and I will test fit just to make sure.
If everything is good, it will then be Satin Matte Clear Coat again at Spooky Fast in Arizona ;)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I had done a lot these past 2 weeks, I just didn't have time to post it here, so let's start...

This is the special oil cooler hose line only for 996R and 998R because on the oil cooler end, they use clips instead of nut to secure the hose:
IMG_3100.JPG

These are Brand New Old Stock hoses:
IMG_3101.JPG

Coat the Double O-Rings with Motul Engine Oil to protect them from damage during insertion:
IMG_3102.JPGIMG_3103.JPG

Fully inserted:
IMG_3104.JPG

Now secure with clip:
IMG_3105.JPGIMG_3106.JPG

Time for the left side of the oil cooler inlet (by the way, the hose for 996R and 998R has different outlet/inlet then the non R model, it's just the way they cut the length of the hose that dictate this, but the oil cooler itself is bi-directional):
IMG_3107.JPGIMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3109.JPGIMG_3110.JPG

Now to connect the hoses to the Engine sides, this is the return oil hose and it's connected to the left side inlet of the oil cooler:
IMG_3112.JPG

This is the outlet side of the hose, connected in a straight line to the right side inlet of the oil cooler:
IMG_3115.JPG

More clear picture to show which hose goes where (again in Non-R models, the hoses are connected inversely):
IMG_3117.JPGIMG_3121.JPG

Then, I am about to throw away the boxes that contain all oil cooler related items, when I found something flat at the bottom of the box,
Turn out, I forgot that the radiator protector kit from AELLA came also with oil cooler protector... I almost throw it away with that box:
IMG_3143.JPG

So I install it:
IMG_3145.JPG

And yes, it looks gorgeous, before and after picture below:
IMG_3144.JPGIMG_3146.JPG

IMG_3147.JPGIMG_3153.JPG

To be continue...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Next... I am comparing the hole diameter of the banjo bolt vs the banjo fitting for the braided oil line to the cylinder heads.
IMG_3126.JPGIMG_3127.JPG

After many measurements, I realized that this braided hose is not your typical AN3 size brake line, but it is an AN4 size line (larger). Initially, I just wanted to replace it with a FrenTubo kit, but they told me their line is an AN3 size, so I decided to make a custom line myself.

Here is another test comparing several Titanium Banjo bolts that I have using pin needle:
IMG_3130.JPGIMG_3131.JPG

The banjo bolt on the other hand is unique because after I ordered some stock Ducati banjo bolt, I realize, they are actually have small limiter to limit the flow of oil to the cylinder head... so contrary to my initial guess that I need to install the banjo bolt with the largest diameter.
I believe this is because Ducati want more oil flow goes to the crankshaft and other area around the crankshaft instead of the cylinder head.
Here are comparison of several Titanium banjo bolts that I have:
IMG_3129.JPGIMG_3128.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Now, it's CLUTCH time :ROFLMAO::

IMG_3124.JPG

I found out that It's best to install the clutch side cover before installing the clutch itself and to prevent damage to the main seal, the Ducati service manual requires a special tool just so the main seal can glide smoothly over it.
Well, I found that no one (online) had the official Ducati special tool in stock, and I decided to just 3D print it below (well it was my youngest son who designed and 3D printed it for me of course :cool:):
IMG_3133.JPG

I tested fit the tool and it is PERFECT :D:
IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3206.JPG

Next, apply the Ducati Liquid Gasket:
IMG_3175.JPG

To the perimeter of the Clutch Cover:
IMG_3207.JPGIMG_3210.JPG

Then apply lots of oil to the 3D printed special tool:
IMG_3208.JPG

Also apply oil to the Main Seal on the clutch cover:
IMG_3209.JPG

Then Apply Oil to the slot where one of the shaft will go into:
IMG_3213.JPG

Then position O-Ring on the oil passage way on the crankcase side:
IMG_3211.JPG

One more check before close the cover:
IMG_3212.JPG

And closing the cover (I protect with blue painters tape) with rubber mallet tapping lightly:
IMG_3214.JPGIMG_3215.JPG

Once fully inserted, the 3D printed adapter fell of by itself:
IMG_3217.JPG

And the seal is properly placed smoothly without any damage thanks to the 3D printed special tool:
IMG_3218.JPG

Then it's time to install all the Pro-Ti Titanium Bolt and test fit the Ducati Performance Carbon Fiber Clutch Cover (already matte painted):
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3220.JPGIMG_3221.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
After the clutch cover, I decided to install the Generator Cover, checking to make sure everything is installed on the generator cover itself:

IMG_3135.JPGIMG_3136.JPG

Adding the 2 TITANIUM dowel/bushings:
IMG_3137.JPGIMG_3138.JPG

Also check the front surface of it:
IMG_3139.JPG

Clean all the mating surfaces with Alcohol:
IMG_3176.JPGIMG_3177.JPG

Apply Ducati Liquid Gasket:
IMG_3178.JPGIMG_3179.JPG

Install onto the crankcase:
IMG_3182.JPG

Next install the Water Pump Cover:
IMG_3183.JPG

Apply the Ducati Liquid Gasket, also ready the 2 steel dowel (original Ducati dowel that somehow I mistakenly thought already the Titanium dowel):
IMG_3184.JPG

Clean the mating surface with alcohol and install the 2 steel dowel:
IMG_3185.JPG

And install and torque the Titanium Bolts:
IMG_3187.JPG

Well,... I was happy until.. I found out the 2 TITANIUM DOWELS that I suppose to use for this Water Pump Cover:
IMG_3229.JPG

So, I took out the pump cover again and clean the dried Ducati Gasket:
IMG_3230.JPGIMG_3231.JPG

Now the surfaces are cleaned and ready, and I install the 2 BLACK DLC coated Titanium Dowels:
IMG_3232.JPG

Apply Ducati Liquid Gasket again:
IMG_3235.JPG

And yes, it's PERFECT :cool: :love::
IMG_3204.JPGIMG_3189.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Now it's time for Coolant secondary reservoir. The left is the used that came with the 998 when I buy it. The right is a brand new Ducati original parts with red anodized painted bracket and Titanium bolts as usual:

IMG_3155.JPG

Take out the bolts holding the rubber intake manifold flange:
IMG_3156.JPG

And install the reservoir
IMG_3158.JPGIMG_3159.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
This thing is coming along so nicely excellent job @BMW Alpina

Thanks so much @HKMP7 :D

Now, I am installing the K-Bike Clutch rod:
IMG_3191.JPG IMG_3192.JPG

Apply lots of oil and grease:
IMG_3194.JPGIMG_3195.JPG

Then I decided to test fit the front sprocket and related hardware only to realize that I forgot to purchase the O-Ring behind the sprocket spacer, which I already ordered but not arrived yet.
By the way, below is the TITANIUM sprocket spacer :
IMG_3201.JPG

Also, when I test fit the SITTA front sprocket, it just won't fit... then I realized it is made in China so the tolerance and quality is bad... causing it's inner hole too small to fit to the shaft...
I am not too happy since the Sitta rear sprocket is so beautiful and precise plus made in Italy...
So, I decided to order a NOS (New Old Stock) AFAM sprocket (520 size at 15t).

By the way, the KTM spark plug tools arrive and turn out I still need to grind it a bit to fit the small diameter inside the cylinder head, but everything is good, and I tighten the spark plug to 20Nm:
IMG_3236.JPGIMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

Then add the Titanium Stud to attached the 999S coil:
IMG_3239.JPG

Add some red loctite and tighten the stud:
IMG_3240.JPG

Add dielectric grease to the inner boots of the coil:
IMG_3241.JPGIMG_3242.JPG

Insert the coil onto the spark plug:
IMG_3243.JPGIMG_3244.JPG

Secure with ProTi Titanium Nuts:
IMG_3245.JPGIMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I was busy leading my team to a trade show in SoCal last week, so I have done a lot. However, I do have some updates:

Install the Ducati original clip to hold the wire harness on the generator side:
IMG_3248.JPG

Install Motocorse Titanium Oil Fill Cap:
IMG_3249.JPGIMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3251.JPGIMG_3252.JPG

I purchased 2 different sets of coolant inlet. 1 pair is blue anodized, the other pair is cerakote:
IMG_3253.JPGIMG_3254.JPG

I also compare the weight:
IMG_3255.JPGIMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3257.JPGIMG_3258.JPG

In the end, I prefer the cerakote pair, plus they are lighter by 2 grams :ROFLMAO::
IMG_3259.JPGIMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3262.JPGIMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3264.JPGIMG_3265.JPG

Then, it is time to install the Thermostat:
IMG_3266.JPG
IMG_3267.JPGIMG_3268.JPG

Finally the special bolt/spacer/stand-off for the battery tray:
IMG_3278.JPG

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
I had done a lot these past 2 weeks, I just didn't have time to post it here, so let's start...

This is the special oil cooler hose line only for 996R and 998R because on the oil cooler end, they use clips instead of nut to secure the hose:
View attachment 13463

These are Brand New Old Stock hoses:
View attachment 13464

Coat the Double O-Rings with Motul Engine Oil to protect them from damage during insertion:
View attachment 13465View attachment 13466

Fully inserted:
View attachment 13467

Now secure with clip:
View attachment 13468View attachment 13469

Time for the left side of the oil cooler inlet (by the way, the hose for 996R and 998R has different outlet/inlet then the non R model, it's just the way they cut the length of the hose that dictate this, but the oil cooler itself is bi-directional):
View attachment 13470View attachment 13471

View attachment 13472View attachment 13473

Now to connect the hoses to the Engine sides, this is the return oil hose and it's connected to the left side inlet of the oil cooler:
View attachment 13474

This is the outlet side of the hose, connected in a straight line to the right side inlet of the oil cooler:
View attachment 13475

More clear picture to show which hose goes where (again in Non-R models, the hoses are connected inversely):
View attachment 13476View attachment 13477

Then, I am about to throw away the boxes that contain all oil cooler related items, when I found something flat at the bottom of the box,
Turn out, I forgot that the radiator protector kit from AELLA came also with oil cooler protector... I almost throw it away with that box:
View attachment 13478

So I install it:
View attachment 13479

And yes, it looks gorgeous, before and after picture below:
View attachment 13480View attachment 13481

View attachment 13482View attachment 13483

To be continue...
Fantastic

BMW Alpina

Staff member
The Ilmberger NEW OLD STOCK Carbon Fiber Timing Belt Cover arrived, and as you can see in the fabric pouch, it still has the OLD (decades ago) graphic. New Ilmberger fabric pouch is not in black color as this and don't have too the colorful graphics:
IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3283.JPGIMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3285.JPGIMG_3286.JPG

IMG_3287.JPGIMG_3289.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG

I must say their quality is higher than the factory Ducati carbon fiber parts of the 998 era. Also the shiny finish is super glosy and super fine, that I decided not to paint them satin matte anymore and leave it as is.

Next, time to install them, start with the center cover:
IMG_3297.JPG

Oh, the Ilmberger cover only utilize 3 out of 5 bolts per cylinder, but I don't like empty holes, so I cover them with some left over Titanium bolts from Melotti Racing as pointed by my fingers:
IMG_3300.JPGIMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3299.JPGIMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3302.JPGIMG_3303.JPG

IMG_3307.JPGIMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3309.JPGIMG_3310.JPG

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
After the clutch cover, I decided to install the Generator Cover, checking to make sure everything is installed on the generator cover itself:

View attachment 13520View attachment 13521

Adding the 2 TITANIUM dowel/bushings:
View attachment 13522View attachment 13523

Also check the front surface of it:
View attachment 13524

Clean all the mating surfaces with Alcohol:
View attachment 13525View attachment 13526

Apply Ducati Liquid Gasket:
View attachment 13527View attachment 13528

Install onto the crankcase:
View attachment 13529

Next install the Water Pump Cover:
View attachment 13530

Apply the Ducati Liquid Gasket, also ready the 2 steel dowel (original Ducati dowel that somehow I mistakenly thought already the Titanium dowel):
View attachment 13531

Clean the mating surface with alcohol and install the 2 steel dowel:
View attachment 13532

And install and torque the Titanium Bolts:
View attachment 13533

Well,... I was happy until.. I found out the 2 TITANIUM DOWELS that I suppose to use for this Water Pump Cover:
View attachment 13534

So, I took out the pump cover again and clean the dried Ducati Gasket:
View attachment 13535View attachment 13536

Now the surfaces are cleaned and ready, and I install the 2 BLACK DLC coated Titanium Dowels:
View attachment 13537

Apply Ducati Liquid Gasket again:
View attachment 13538

And yes, it's PERFECT :cool: :love::
View attachment 13539View attachment 13540
Ti dowel s excellent

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Now it's time for the rear carbon mudguard from Ilmberger. I custom ordered with Ilmberger matte paint (it was only available in glossy, but Ilmberger was willing to do this one-off matte paint for me).

The Ilmberger rear carbon fiber mudguard also function as chain guard. The factory plastic chain guard came with metal backing plate to further protect in case the chain broke.
I decided that I also want this extra protection for the Ilmberger Carbon Mudguard/chain guard. Unfortunately, the metal backing plate does not fit without modification, the hole for the bolt holding it, not aligned, as shown in 2 pictures below:

IMG_3324.JPGIMG_3325.JPG

But hey, this is Ducati MODIFIED, so :cool:, I took out my trusty laser guided SKIL drill:
IMG_3326.JPGIMG_3327.JPG

As a result:
IMG_3331.JPG

It fit:
IMG_3330.JPGIMG_3329.JPG

However, there is still 1 problem... I will post more soon 😉

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Here is the problem, it hit my Ohlins rear shocks. Please note, this is NOT the stock Ohlins that normally came with 998 this is the DU143, higher spec, thus the provision for mounting stroke sensor that hit the rear Ilmberger mudguard:
IMG_3328.JPG

So... I decided to just cut a hole in the Ilmberger 😅:
IMG_3332.JPGIMG_3333.JPG

I grow the hole slowly :ROFLMAO::
IMG_3336.JPGIMG_3344.JPG

Finally:
IMG_3345.JPG

However, the tire now rubs the top part of the Ilmberger... so what the heck... just cut more holes 😂:
IMG_3349.JPGIMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPGIMG_3356.JPG

and Done:
IMG_3357.JPG

Next, I apply polymer resin on the cut area to make sure it will seal the fiber from moisture and prevent de-laminating:
IMG_3360.JPGIMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

More updates coming soon ;)