An 1199S Project

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
I know, I know, here he goes again posting about something that is not his 1199S project, but so happy how my rebuilt and cerakoted original F08 brembos came out. New pistons, orings, dust seals, bleed nipples, ceramic infused brembo pads, and retaining pins. I also have some nice custom made exact spec bends/length braided brake lines that are black but a slight carbon fibre look. There is a black plastic cover that goes on top but I left off for the photos so you could see the new pads and stainless steel pins and clip.

Pics

1680085059093.png

1680085332505.png

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Hello Gentlemen,
I often check in to see how everyones projects are going. I am still working on the SSD. I got the wheels back from the painter and they look great. I ended up removing the swing arm, a rear fibreglass guard that acts like a mudguard which stops dirt getting to the rear of the engine and also the chain guard. I am repainting all these myself. I have a couple pics to post. The first one is just a cabinet full of parts (just some of them) that are to be fitted to the 1199S. The second photo is just an example of the rabbit hole I went down. It is a pic of one of the glass bead aqua blastered Dellorto 32mm carburettors which I completely rebuilt. At the top there are 3 little spring washer behind 3 screws. In total there are six. I cleaned up the screws and washers but the washers were still a little dark and not as clean as I wanted. Ended up buy 6 new ones from a guy in England. You will see the edge of the washer under the screw on the left which is new and the darker one on the right. I felt so much better when I replaced the old ones with shiny new ones.

Also in my last post I put a photo in of one of my rebuilt Brembo calipers. I have now sourced a set of 6 Ti 6mm bleeders so I am going to replace the stainless steel ones in the photo.

Well so much for photos. I have to work out a better way of posting photos. All the best cheers

PanigalePilot

Staff member
IMG_6514.jpg

Here is the pic of the two spring washers. One on the left is new and the one on the right is the old original. Today I received back some custom machined parts. I am lucky a friend has a lathe and previously was a tradesman. He made me 3 x T7075 aluminium replicas of the OEM steel parts. Saving 441 grams. I was able to source the aluminium stock bar as cut offs and it was cheap. I gave my friend a gift card to spend at a machine shop supplier as a thank you. I am keeping fairly careful notes of the weight savings I am making and will knock up a spreadsheet to tally it all up. Every gram counts. LOL

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Thanks to H. I sent him a quick question about grease as I could not find my own copy of the 1199 manual. I am going to need the correct grease for my swingarm on my old SSD when I reassemble.
It off at the moment for repainting and a new custom machined T7075 Aluminium spindle. Anyway got the correct grease today. Penrite brand but exact same specs as the Shell Gadus specified for the swing arms of 1199/1299/V4 etc. Also researched the grease required for wheel bearing etc. Lot more to grease than I thought. Lots to read and research on that alone.

The great thing about this forum.

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Just a quick pic on the progress of a custom brake stay I am making out of CF for my old Ducati. Bit of an experiment and weight saving is the goal. I thought is would be a simple job but it has been anything. Still a bit to go but getting there. I estimate about 25 to 30 hrs so far mostly by hand. Learning as I go. If I had a milling machine or CNC cutter and had the knowledge to use them it would be less than an hour I guess.
1688722746642.png

Attachments

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hi PanigalePilot, yes, working on Carbon Fiber parts by hand is delicate time consuming, but I am sure you will experience satisfaction once you do it because it is crafted by your own hand (y)

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Hi PanigalePilot, yes, working on Carbon Fiber parts by hand is delicate time consuming, but I am sure you will experience satisfaction once you do it because it is crafted by your own hand (y)
Thanks H
It has been made more difficult as there are 4 areas/holes that have to line up exactly in relation to each other
If this one is not good enough then I have a better method for next time
I will actually make some jigs out of scrap metal
I have always wanted a drill press which I need to invest in
The piece is two 4mm thick sheets laminated together which means locking them together to make cuts and holes that are aligned
All good fun

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Just thought I would check in to say hello
Aside from paying lots of money to register the 1199S
no progress there still working on the old SSD Darmah
Here is a quick pic of front marzochi fork sliders one polished one not64D9EAE7-B35B-4A9D-B99A-B3ADF8C05EE5.jpeg

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Hello everyone
Since June have had my mother in hospital and have now transitioned her into a nursing home. Hence no time at the moment for playing with the bikes but as things settle down will be back into it
Regards to all
Cheers
Brad

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Hello to all my friends and Ducati fans on the forum,
Just though I would stay in contact by posting. No progress on bikes although did get some re chroming on some exhaust headers on the 46 year old SSD. My time has been spent at my two jobs and administration of my Mum now in a nursing home. Just in the final stages of selling mums house to pay for the nursing home.

Hope you are all doing well and projects are going well.

Regards
Brad

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Just a post to keep in contact with everyone. Still a lot of my time taken up with house selling admin. Had to go and mow the lawn there yesterday which means 2 hrs travel and then it was nearly 3 hrs work there.

Now we all like rare lightweight racing parts. I am confident everyone agrees with that. Today I found some magnesium rocker covers in Sweden which are NOS. These are for the old Ducati SSD. If it is not a scam then and they actually arrive, cannot wait to weigh them. Every gram counts. LOL :)