V4SPASTIK - 2023 V4S Panigale Street/Track Project

KODAKHODAK

Question fellas, i put my DB killers back in and didn't notice too much of a sound differance, maybe a slight less growly but still had a decent note. Would this effect my tune much or not so much?

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Question fellas, i put my DB killers back in and didn't notice too much of a sound differance, maybe a slight less growly but still had a decent note. Would this effect my tune much or not so much?
Hi KODAKHODAK,
Any DB Killers will reduce gas flow and add back pressure. From your description, it seemed that it did not reduce the noise that much, which most likely means it did not reduce the flow that much, too.
I wouldn't worry much about the tune because, most likely, it will make your bike run very slightly rich in the Air to Fuel (A/F) Ratio, which is not going to harm the engine.
In fact, your ECU might automatically already compensate for slight differences.
It's when you run a lean A/F ratio that you need to worry.

My plan with my 998 is to tune the ECU using the Motocorse Titanium Silencer designed for the 60.5mm diameter pipe, but later replace the silencer with the Termignoni for 1198, which actually has a slightly smaller pipe diameter, I believe 58mm or something like that, and this will have a similar effect to your DB killer (reduce flow). It will only run ever so slightly richer in A/F ratio.

bp_SFV4

Anyways, pretty stoked how the V4S is coming along, the overal look is starting to take shape, few things id like to ask is what riding modes do many of you select on the dash and do you leave the suspension iin Dynamic and forget or do some adjust to suit Street & Track conditions?
For street riding, I like dynamic. For track, I like the fixed so its very predictable and the bike feels the same everywhere. I have a 2021 and I don't think the OEM settings are comparable. I've also went to stiffer springs front and rear.

I like EBC 3 and 2. I think for novice track riders, or those who tend to have a long neutral phase EBC 1 will shed too much speed. If you are a fast track rider and are late braking, I think you'll appreciate the increased stopping power with EBC 1.

IMG_1281.jpg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
My personal experience. The threads are more likely to be damaged. I'll bet you one heli-coil thread repair. Ask me how I know...
Hi bp_SFV4, I guess we have to agree to respectfully disagree on this :)

I replaced the 4 bolts of my rear subframe with 2 different sets of ProTi Titanium Bolts because I was not happy with the head diameter of the first set of the ProTi.
Finally, I replaced the 2 upper bolts one more time with the Motocorse set, which means including the factory original bolts, they had been torqued at least 3 to 4 times in total. No problem with the thread.
The key for me was always to use GREASE B, be very careful not to cross-thread in the initial few turns, and, of course, use a precise Torque Wrench (Snap-On).

I heard many people also have their engine mount thread needing to be heli-coil when they were replaced with the Titanium engine mount bolts. I also replaced these engine mount bolts several times. The first with V4EVO titanium bolts to the current Motocorse engine mount bolts (with cover). Also no problem.
For the engine mount, on top of the 3 things I mentioned above(GREASE B, careful not to cross thread the first few turns, precise torque wrench), I also make sure to support the engine with a jack stand to align the bolt-hole so there is no cross-threading problem.

Last, the biggest problem with Titanium bolts is they are prone to galling (cross-threading), so GREASE B or AntiSeize is paramount for Titanium bolts. So far, I have replace almost every bolt on my bike with Titanium equivalent (and knock on wood), I haven't cross-thread any of the aluminum parts or the bike nor galling the ProTi titanium bolts. I think it's not because I am lucky but it's due to GREASE B or Antiseize lubricate well.

KODAKHODAK

Hi KODAKHODAK,
Any DB Killers will reduce gas flow and add back pressure. From your description, it seemed that it did not reduce the noise that much, which most likely means it did not reduce the flow that much, too.
I wouldn't worry much about the tune because, most likely, it will make your bike run very slightly rich in the Air to Fuel (A/F) Ratio, which is not going to harm the engine.
In fact, your ECU might automatically already compensate for slight differences.
It's when you run a lean A/F ratio that you need to worry.

My plan with my 998 is to tune the ECU using the Motocorse Titanium Silencer designed for the 60.5mm diameter pipe, but later replace the silencer with the Termignoni for 1198, which actually has a slightly smaller pipe diameter, I believe 58mm or something like that, and this will have a similar effect to your DB killer (reduce flow). It will only run ever so slightly richer in A/F ratio.
One thing i have noticed with my Woolrich Tune is it doesnt pop flames, and i dont hear those cracks and pops up shifts or downshifts compared to my V2 Bayliss. Is this a good thing as the tuner has smoothed out the factory tune that normally comes with the Akrapovic. In someways i do miss those nice upshift pops and flames but long as the tune is safe and reliable i am happy.

bp_SFV4

I heard many people also have their engine mount thread needing to be heli-coil
My experience was the frame, not the engine threads. If you work on these bikes long enough, thread repair and removing stripped bolts is normal. I've always used grease on the bolts. I think heat cycles on the parts will affect them too.

i have noticed with my Woolrich Tune is it doesnt pop flames, and i dont hear those cracks and pops up shifts or downshifts compared to my V2 Bayliss.
This is purely a result of the tune. IMHO, a good tune doesn't have pops and flames. All that does is burn off the packing material in the mufflers. It's great for YouTube, not so much for the life of the bike. If you really want pops and flames, a tuner can adjust things to make that happen.

KODAKHODAK

My experience was the frame, not the engine threads. If you work on these bikes long enough, thread repair and removing stripped bolts is normal. I've always used grease on the bolts. I think heat cycles on the parts will affect them too.

This is purely a result of the tune. IMHO, a good tune doesn't have pops and flames. All that does is burn off the packing material in the mufflers. It's great for YouTube, not so much for the life of the bike. If you really want pops and flames, a tuner can adjust things to make that happen.
Then i am happy to have had it properly tuned Yippie for me!

Turb0lader

Nice build! I run my 22 PV4S pretty much 100% in Dynamic on road and track and let the computers do the work. From what I've read EC 2.0 is significantly improved over v1 that's on the earlier bikes. But horses for courses... Do you feel that the suspension is too harsh or soft?

KODAKHODAK

Nice build! I run my 22 PV4S pretty much 100% in Dynamic on road and track and let the computers do the work. From what I've read EC 2.0 is significantly improved over v1 that's on the earlier bikes. But horses for courses... Do you feel that the suspension is too harsh or soft?
for the street I find the suspension quiet hard compared to the V2 Bayliss, but then again our roads here in Canberra arnt the best

KODAKHODAK

The V4 SP2 came out with these cool Italian Winglet Flag Stickers and couldnā€™t help myself add this little feature to the V4S!
IMG_1977.jpeg

KODAKHODAK

Wow. Looks good. By chance did your installer post a video or more pics about the job?
Unfortunately they didnā€™t, there is a join around the front of the seat which is hidden, the main top and side of the tank is one entire piece - it was a gamble to try and see what it looks like but pretty happy with the result.

bp_SFV4

Unfortunately they didnā€™t, there is a join around the front of the seat which is hidden, the main top and side of the tank is one entire piece - it was a gamble to try and see what it looks like but pretty happy with the result.
I was thinking there'd have to be a joint somewhere. Having tried my hand at wrapping, I know an amazing result when I see it.