My 1299 project

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Bought my 1299 bone stock and have been/will be modifying it for my own pleasure (or my sanity). It will be used as a street and track bike

View attachment 2
Hi Lucati,
I cannot really see from this angle of your picture, but Is that exhaust the same one as the 1299 Final Edition Akrapovic exhaust?
I would love if Ducati is willing to produce the same style exhaust for the V4... I don't know why they did not offer it...

Also, there are so much modification that I can see even from this picture angle on your bike, I mean even that clutch lever looks special, not to mention that left switch assembly 😃
don't be shy please :p

Lucati

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
my exhaust is actually the FM PROJECTS. I do really like the FE exhaust, what I don’t like about it is that it still has the big loop under the riders seat which makes it very hot and also it totally congests the whole area which makes it visually unappealing to me. I like the free space of the FM projects.
my levers, I had to send one off to a machine shop, a friend is giving it a little trim. When that comes back I’ll post it up.

Have you seen the ZARD exhaust for the V4?! If I were to get a second bike, I’d get the V4 just so I can get that exhaust. To me, the thing is beautiful and aggressive.

Hi Lucati,
I cannot really see from this angle of your picture, but Is that exhaust the same one as the 1299 Final Edition Akrapovic exhaust?
I would love if Ducati is willing to produce the same style exhaust for the V4... I don't know why they did not offer it...

Also, there are so much modification that I can see even from this picture angle on your bike, I mean even that clutch lever looks special, not to mention that left switch assembly 😃
don't be shy please :p

BMW Alpina

Staff member
my exhaust is actually the FM PROJECTS. I do really like the FE exhaust, what I don’t like about it is that it still has the big loop under the riders seat which makes it very hot and also it totally congests the whole area which makes it visually unappealing to me. I like the free space of the FM projects.
my levers, I had to send one off to a machine shop, a friend is giving it a little trim. When that comes back I’ll post it up.

Have you seen the ZARD exhaust for the V4?! If I were to get a second bike, I’d get the V4 just so I can get that exhaust. To me, the thing is beautiful and aggressive.
Hi Lucati,
I totally understand what you mean about that big loop... I agree with you that a simpler (no big loop) make your 1299 looks better. (y)

Yes, I had seen the ZARD exhaust, but since my current exhaust that came with the 916 Anniversario is already the Akrapovic Titanium (type approved meaning still have Catalytic for street use) that also came standard as the "Street Legal" exhaust for the superleggera, the only exhaust that will give me enough excuse to change is if Ducati/Akrapovic release the 1299 FE style exhaust for the V4... plus, it also got to have the factory upmap,
I don't want after market tuning because only Ducati official upmap will show as "RACING EVO" on the dashboard :p
SC project actually make a very nice exhaust for the V4 ala 1299FE... but again, no Ducati official upmap, and the brand is also not Akrapovic :LOL:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Oh, by the way Lucati,

When you are free and "ready" ;), oh of course if you don't mind,
please kindly email me a high res picture of your bike full SIDE view from the RIGHT side of the bike. I want to replace the HEADER picture on the top of this page (currently I use Ducati Monster 25 Anniversario picture) with your bike.
It got to be the RIGHT Side, so HKMP7 is going to the left direction with his Rossi Glance Style, and your bike is going to the right direction to balance it 😇

I like this forum software.... so many smilies to choose from and you can also choose different icon for the "like" button...🤖

Lucati

Staff member
The SC is very nice as well. check out the FMprojects exhaust for the v4, Also very nice! But Definitely gotta have that RACING EVO showing haha.
Ill get the right side nice and ready! Pic to come.
The forum is great, very nicely laid out and everything

Lucati

Staff member
I added the IMA thumb brake. I feel much more control over the pressure with it at my thumb. At the foot it seems to be 0% or ABS is kicking in, hard to get a good feel when wearing race boots (in my opinion)

problem I ran into is that I used a pressure switch with the RCS clutch MC, and that is in the way of the thumb brake travel. So I ordered the switch that I saw BMW Alpina had ordered. Sadly that’ll take a month for restock. I also don’t like the position of the RCS’s bleeder valve. Using a stahlbus bleeder valve, the angle makes it hit the front fairing, so more adjustment has to be done.

Back to The IMA thumb brake. People had a hard time bleeding the system after install. Reading about that, I added a stahlbus bleeder to the front(rear) MC, removed the rear caliper to sit higher than the brake line, and then used vacuum to pull the fluid through, this made bleeding the system much easier and way faster
CCD16C20-04CF-408D-A1B6-07E0D88A513B.jpeg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I added the IMA thumb brake. I feel much more control over the pressure with it at my thumb. At the foot it seems to be 0% or ABS is kicking in, hard to get a good feel when wearing race boots (in my opinion)

problem I ran into is that I used a pressure switch with the RCS clutch MC, and that is in the way of the thumb brake travel. So I ordered the switch that I saw BMW Alpina had ordered. Sadly that’ll take a month for restock. I also don’t like the position of the RCS’s bleeder valve. Using a stahlbus bleeder valve, the angle makes it hit the front fairing, so more adjustment has to be done.

Back to The IMA thumb brake. People had a hard time bleeding the system after install. Reading about that, I added a stahlbus bleeder to the front(rear) MC, removed the rear caliper to sit higher than the brake line, and then used vacuum to pull the fluid through, this made bleeding the system much easier and way faster
Hi Lucati,

That IMA thumb brake is very nice. Did you use the IMA rear brake master to connect the IMA thumb brake to your rear brake system (Serial Connection)? or do you make the connection on the caliper (Parallel Connection)?

Also,
If Iam not mistaken, from the picture, you are also using an IMA Mod.5P clip-on handlebar set
Is that correct?

That is an amazing handlebar, which I am thinking of using if I need to replace my stock clip-on handlebar for "ahem" special project coming next year (next year because I need to save money for it) 😜

Last, when you have time, please kindly try to upload a larger size picture using the method I just post on my reply to you so everyone can see the details of your amazing parts (y)

Also, you might want to orient the picture (turn it left or right) by right click on the picture from your windows explorer and select the button to "rotate right" or "rotate right"
If that still did not work, you will have to edit it using a picture viewer application to rotate it correctly, then you still have to do right click again on the picture (from your windows explorer)

Lucati

Staff member
520A6013-9F7C-4D58-A222-6E699C4257ED.jpeg
I moved the original rear MC up to the thumb brake, ran a brake line to the new IMA MC which replaced the oem MC (swapped positions). IMA MC Is definitely better looking than the oem brembo MC. It runs the same line from the foot MC to the ABS UNIT, from ABS unit to the rear caliper.
425E6D6E-48DB-4C72-931D-C6F207F19341.jpeg
I will be replacing the brake lines soon to clear all that up and also removing the reservoir holder that is no longer needed.
520A6013-9F7C-4D58-A222-6E699C4257ED.jpeg5047CFA6-25AA-4F05-A951-20B21769447E.jpegCCC12CED-BC3F-4C8B-9CF0-74D5E83DFF72.jpeg425E6D6E-48DB-4C72-931D-C6F207F19341.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Lucati,

You might not realized yet, but as the FOUNDING Member and The MODERATOR of this forum, you had the power to DELETE your post in case you want to edit or clean up your thread,
(or other people posts too if their posts do not meet the "HIGHLY CIVILIZED" standard of our forum) 😇
no one can mess with you here (well they can try) :p

Also, if you want to replace your brake line, please consider the Goodridge 700 Series Aramid (Kevlar) Braided brake hose. I originally want to hide this picture until I updated my thread to up to date, but for you I make an exception :p
Plus they are NOT expensive at all (I am serious). Considering they were CUSTOM hand assembled for your spec at Goodridge Headquarters in Exeter, UK with shipping cost etc. (not from Goodridge USA subsidiary)
I can help you with the fitting/banjo to select (let's use PM) and let you know how to order ;)

Below are the pictures, just arrived a few days ago:
IMG_8707.JPGIMG_8709.JPG

Lucati

Staff member
Hi Lucati,

You might not realized yet, but as the FOUNDING Member and The MODERATOR of this forum, you had the power to DELETE your post in case you want to edit or clean up your thread,
(or other people posts too if their posts do not meet the "HIGHLY CIVILIZED" standard of our forum) 😇
no one can mess with you here (well they can try) :p

Also, if you want to replace your brake line, please consider the Goodridge 700 Series Aramid (Kevlar) Braided brake hose. I originally want to hide this picture until I updated my thread to up to date, but for you I make an exception :p
Plus they are NOT expensive at all (I am serious). Considering they were CUSTOM hand assembled for your spec at Goodridge Headquarters in Exeter, UK with shipping cost etc. (not from Goodridge USA subsidiary)
I can help you with the fitting/banjo to select (let's use PM) and let you know how to order ;)

Below are the pictures, just arrived a few days ago:
View attachment 111View attachment 113
Ahh the power! I have to get on my laptop and check it all out, been using my phones browser.

oooo those are some sexy brake lines! I’ll shoot you a pm when I’m ready to order some. 👍🏻👍🏻

Lucati

Staff member
1993BF8E-C80D-4C6A-916C-76BD6A0117AE.jpeg
here’s a shot of my left IMA clip-on. It’s pretty busy in there. Prior to having these I had the ducabike oem style bars. The ducabike (and oem) bars have a hole at the inside end which make it easy to put a mount there for the reservoirs, since I Also no longer had the mounting points from the stock master cylinders.I have one rizoma bar mount holding the reservoir for the rear brake, but having a hell of a time figuring out the clutch. when I bought the CNC reservoirs about A year ago, some weird bracket came with them and I just throw it in a extra parts bin. a year+ later that bracket works perfectly (like it was made for the ima clipons), fit right in the 19mm bolt.
8F42CEC5-DE8E-4FC2-8DFB-7CBB8703726B.jpeg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
View attachment 114
here’s a shot of my left IMA clip-on. It’s pretty busy in there. Prior to having these I had the ducabike oem style bars. The ducabike (and oem) bars have a hole at the inside end which make it easy to put a mount there for the reservoirs, since I Also no longer had the mounting points from the stock master cylinders.I have one rizoma bar mount holding the reservoir for the rear brake, but having a hell of a time figuring out the clutch. when I bought the CNC reservoirs about A year ago, some weird bracket came with them and I just throw it in a extra parts bin. a year+ later that bracket works perfectly (like it was made for the ima clipons), fit right in the 19mm bolt.
View attachment 115
Hi Lucati,

I have a few (well actually a lot) of questions regarding your IMA clip on handlebar 😄:
a. Does the right side came with the integrated mount for the steering stabilizer?
b. Is that color the Titanium Color or the Aluminum Color?
c. Did you purchase the Standard length for the bar or the longer XL bar?
d. Is the bar that you purchase the same length as your stock Ducati OEM bar?
e. Do you have to drill the bar for mounting point of the switches or did the bar came pre drilled?
f. Did the handlebar diameter (hole) at the end the same size as the stock bar so you can still use the original handlebar weight?

Thanks so much

Lucati

Staff member
Hi Lucati,

I have a few (well actually a lot) of questions regarding your IMA clip on handlebar 😄:
a. Does the right side came with the integrated mount for the steering stabilizer?
b. Is that color the Titanium Color or the Aluminum Color?
c. Did you purchase the Standard length for the bar or the longer XL bar?
d. Is the bar that you purchase the same length as your stock Ducati OEM bar?
e. Do you have to drill the bar for mounting point of the switches or did the bar came pre drilled?
f. Did the handlebar diameter (hole) at the end the same size as the stock bar so you can still use the original handlebar weight?

Thanks so much
great questions haha. I didnt ask those when i first bought them so i learned the hard way, which meant replacing a bunch of things to work with them.

a. yes it does come with the mount for the stabilizer
b. titanium color
c. they are the standard length. i've never used XL so i stuck with standard
d. they are the same length as oem bar
e. the bars are not pre drilled at all nor do they have the mounting points for anything
f. the diameter is the same size, but it is not threaded, so one would not be able to use the oem weights/bar ends. I had just bought a lightech brake lever guard just before the clipons, which screws in to the threads, so that no longer worked.

think I got em all! 👍

BMW Alpina

Staff member
great questions haha. I didnt ask those when i first bought them so i learned the hard way, which meant replacing a bunch of things to work with them.

a. yes it does come with the mount for the stabilizer
b. titanium color
c. they are the standard length. i've never used XL so i stuck with standard
d. they are the same length as oem bar
e. the bars are not pre drilled at all nor do they have the mounting points for anything
f. the diameter is the same size, but it is not threaded, so one would not be able to use the oem weights/bar ends. I had just bought a lightech brake lever guard just before the clipons, which screws in to the threads, so that no longer worked.

think I got em all! 👍
Thanks so much Lucati, you answered all my questions and I love your answers, especially the last answer about the non threaded. Because my Ducati by Rizoma Handlebar weight and brake lever protector do not use thread to mount to the original handlebar,
but they use some kind of expanding adapter (from Rizoma). So this is perfect.

I wasn't sure whether the OEM bar is the equivalent of IMA's standard or XL bar, but it's good to know that I should choose the standard length like you.

I am planning to buy this IMA Mod.5P clip-on handlebar set if somehow I need them in 52mm forks diameter since our stock handlebar designed for 53mm forks diameter.
I already buy a spacer to adapt the stock handlebar and made it become a 52mm diameter, but I am not sure whether it will be secure enough until I test it... if it is not secure enough,
or I can't forget how beautiful your IMA Mod.5p clip-on handlebar is... then I can't do anything but buy them 🤣
but the prerequisite will have to be a 52mm forks 🍴🍴🍴

note: I just scroll down the collection of smillies icon available, and turn out there are a lot including the red bike icon = 🏍

Last edited:

Lucati

Staff member
Thanks so much Lucati, you answered all my questions and I love your answers, especially the last answer about the non threaded. Because my Ducati by Rizoma Handlebar weight and brake lever protector do not use thread to mount to the original handlebar,
but they use some kind of expanding adapter (from Rizoma). So this is perfect.

I wasn't sure whether the OEM bar is the equivalent of IMA's standard or XL bar, but it's good to know that I should choose the standard length like you.

I am planning to buy this IMA Mod.5P clip-on handlebar set if somehow I need them in 52mm forks diameter since our stock handlebar designed for 53mm forks diameter.
I already buy a spacer to adapt the stock handlebar and made it become a 52mm diameter, but I am not sure whether it will be secure enough until I test it... if it is not secure enough,
or I can't forget how beautiful your IMA Mod.5p clip-on handlebar is... then I can't do anything but buy them 🤣
but the prerequisite will have to be a 52mm forks 🍴🍴🍴

note: I just scroll down the collection of smillies icon available, and turn out there are a lot including the red bike icon = 🏍
when I purchased my IMA thumb brake, I first wanted the fork mount, but it was not available in the diameter that I needed. I spoke with someone at superbikeunlimited and was told that IMA can custom make the diameter that is needed.I imagine they can do the same with the clip-ons? It’s worth a shot, give em a call!
🏍🏍🏍🏍