DUCATI Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 BUILD Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Howard can you talk me through why you chose this specific reservoir out of the current Brembo options?
Hi Apuca,
regarding Brembo rear brake master cylinder, they all will fit, and it's more related to the style you like.
If you decide to purchase the one with plastic cover, it's better to buy the Suter version:
Master cylinder brake d.13 SRT
Because it is 99% the same unit and made by Brembo for Suter. The only difference is, it came with the bolt mounting hole threaded while I believe the Brembo original have through hole. @HKMP7 purchase the Suter and he posted about his install and I believe anodizing on his Build Thread.

Now, I choose my model simply because it have an extra holes on top of it that I believe originally was designed for a thumb brake system that somehow Brembo never offered. I need it so I can connect to a reservoir to make it easy for me to bleed and also because I just like the look of a Rizoma brake fluid reservoir instead of build in reservoir.

Apuca

Hi Apuca,
regarding Brembo rear brake master cylinder, they all will fit, and it's more related to the style you like.
If you decide to purchase the one with plastic cover, it's better to buy the Suter version:
Master cylinder brake d.13 SRT
Because it is 99% the same unit and made by Brembo for Suter. The only difference is, it came with the bolt mounting hole threaded while I believe the Brembo original have through hole. @HKMP7 purchase the Suter and he posted about his install and I believe anodizing on his Build Thread.

Now, I choose my model simply because it have an extra holes on top of it that I believe originally was designed for a thumb brake system that somehow Brembo never offered. I need it so I can connect to a reservoir to make it easy for me to bleed and also because I just like the look of a Rizoma brake fluid reservoir instead of build in reservoir.
So technically you do not need the reservoir?

BMW Alpina

Staff member
So technically you do not need the reservoir?
Correct, no need for reservoir, however... it will be virtually impossible to bleed using just the Master Cylinder because this was designed to be mounted vertically while our rear seat is more like 40 degrees.
The Suter style will be the easiest to bleed.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I want to provide a Great Review of Ducati Online Spare Parts, (you can click on the name of the store because it is a clickable link): Stein-Dinse Germany

The first time I bought a parts at Stein-Dinse was when I bought a brand new radiator fan for my 998 project because Stein somehow have them in stock (brand new).
I normally bought at another online Ducati spare parts store also in Germany because that store usually have the cheapest price. (even though in reality they are NOT the cheapest after you count their 95 Euro per 1,000 euro of parts shipping cost).
Plus after you pay 95 Euro, they shipped it via the cheapest DHL with the final mile delivery through USPS. Again they are NOT using DHL Express for 95 Euro !!!

Stein-Dinse price for Ducati spare parts listed on their Stein-Dinse price is not the absolute lowest price but still already very low. The differences are:
a. Stein-Dinse only charge 35 Euro for shipping using a BIG BOX with UPS (not USPS) from Germany, so after you added the shipping cost, Stein-Dinse price suddenly become much lower if not the lowest !!!
Here is the picture of the BIG BOX that was shipped using UPS (arrived in less than 1 week) from Germany and you can compare how big it is with my 100lbs Labrador:
IMG_8876.JPG

b. Stein-Dinse make sure they pack everything carefully. I mean seriously carefully. I bought some DucatiCorse and DucatiPerformance stickers from them, and they spent extra time to flat pack them between (sandwich) with flat but strong cardboard, picture below.
So you know for sure they care about the item they sell to me.
IMG_8874.JPG

c. They also carefully pack small items into ziplock bag:
IMG_8875.JPG

d. This is a Ducati 998 windshield that I decided to buy a second unit from Stein Dinse and they came packed inside the original Ducati Box to protect them. The reason I buy this second windshield was because,
my first brand new windshield that I bought from that other Germany online Ducati part reseller came scratch because they took it out from the box and mix it together with some fairings so they scrape against each other.
Here is the box of my second Ducati 998 windshield from Stein Dinse:
IMG_8877.JPG

So,... moving forward, I will only buy my Ducati Spare Parts from Stein-Dinse in Germany. Oh by the way, they assigned you to a dedicated account manager, and the great person that help me is Silas.
Oh, wait, I have not done with the review...
e. So some of the parts that I ordered is in back ordered status, and with Stein-Dinse, when they are in back order status, you do NOT have to pay anything. Only after the parts arrived at Stein-Dinse then they invoice you.
While at every other Ducati online parts reseller, you need to pay in advance whether they have in stock or not... Again, Stein-Dinse never asked me to pay until all my back order parts arrive.

f. While waiting for my back ordered parts, I found more and more and more parts that I still need to purchase,... so I must have sent at least 8 emails or so to Silas every weeks, asking him to add more and more parts to my order.
Silas not only patiently accepting and manually input my order, he also keep updating me about the progress of the order and he is super nice and friendly.

I mean, I never have this kind of great service, and also great value from any other Ducati online parts reseller !!!
So, if you consider buying any parts, I strongly recommend buying from Stein-Dinse.
Oh, you also need to login so the price that shown for your parts will be EXCLUDING VAT (tax) because we are in USA !!!

Thanks again Silas, I wish I know Stein-Dinse and Silas earlier...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I just received this beautiful Motocorse Brake Caliper bolts, but this is not just for regular Ohlins EC Forks, but this is a much LONGER bolts for Ohlins forks with 108mm spacing ;):

IMG_9040.JPG

IMG_9041.JPG

Motocorse has mastered the arts of making things as simple as bolt, felt special when you unboxing it :cool::
IMG_9042.JPG

Here is the part#
IMG_9043.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Motocorse just released the picture of the Lower Triple Clamp for Panigale V4/Streetfighter V4 on their instagram...
I wish they show the front view and not just the side view...

1668057569529.png

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Just found a post from FullSix instagram that show the front side of the Motocorse Lower Triple Clamp, yeah, I think I gotta have one 🤣
1668057880468.png

Well, found a larger picture:
314366675_3221466344783667_8550007148289343498_n.jpg

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
That is an interesting setup. Are those bottoms even for sale? Can’t imagine there’d be much demand if they only fit the 300’s with the additional machining to fit the chamber.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
That is an interesting setup. Are those bottoms even for sale? Can’t imagine there’d be much demand if they only fit the 300’s with the additional machining to fit the chamber.
Hi Andy,
That is what I thought plus the FGR300 supposed to be discontinued since the FGR400 (replacement) already launch (last year EICMA) and will be available to purchase this February 2023.
Then I notice the top part of the fork is still a regular Ohlins forks (NOT FGR300)
So this must be Motocorse own modification of Ohlins regular forks but adding FGR300 style tube.

Please pay attention to the red circled area (top of forks), FGR 300 top doesn't look like that:
Screenshot 2022-11-10 075029.png

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I bought the Tapered Bearing Kit from Speedymoto long time ago, and last weekend, I decided to take a closer look on who made the bearing (which company).
The reason is because I will also need to change the lower triple clamp to the Motocorse as soon as I can buy them for this bike and also I need a new tapered bearing kit for my 998 new lower triple clamp.

Turn out, the bearing kit from Speedymoto does not have any branding and only some generic numerical code. I then check at ImA Italy website and also from pictures on the internet to find out who made the tapered bearing kit for ImA Italy.
Well... I found out ImA Italy also use the same bearing code as the kit from Speedymoto... So, I should be just satisfied right... well... no... because I really want the best bearing available...
After hours of research, I found the equivalent bearing made by NTN (same size/dimension) but the spec of course is well super :cool: but so is the price which is about $100 per one single bearing which means 4 times the price of the Speedymoto kit. (I don't know the price of the ImA kit but since it is the same bearing as the Speedymoto... is irrelevant).

Now I want to be clear that I am sure Speedymoto tapered bearing kit and ImA tapered bearing kit are good enough to handle the load of our steering movement, and should be stronger and more rigid (less flex) than the stock ball bearing from Ducati factory...
But this is a once in a lifetime project, so I want the best bearing I can purchase.. beside it is only $100 anyway per bearing..
Still, I decide to buy 1 pair of bearings first to make sure they are really worth it... eventhough I need 2 pairs (for this bike and for the 998)

And they arrived a few days ago from Misumi (I know Misumi because the robotic company I work for purchase many technical parts from Misumi):
IMG_9106.JPG

This the front side, notice the part number, the brand (NTN) and word Japan proudly etched:
IMG_9107.JPG

This second pictures (right side) show the back side of the tapered bearing:
IMG_9108.JPG

Now in the picture below, on the left is the NTN bearing, and on the right is the generic bearing from Speedymoto, and you guys can see the different in finish quality and also the shine of the individual rollers.
Please note the Speedymoto bearings are BRAND NEW just opened from the packaging... but compare to the NTN bearing, the speedymoto look like it is a used bearing.
IMG_9109.JPG

Again direct side by side comparison of the back side of the bearing, you can see the cage of NTN is much smoother in finish...
IMG_9110.JPG

This is the front cover of the bearing, again NTN show a much higher quality finish:
IMG_9111.JPG

This is the Part# of the NTN bearing in case any one want to purchase them. Please note that there are some stores in UK (and eBay based in UK) that sell this part# bearing at much cheaper price,
but from what I know they are just "replica" hahaha... yes, replica... so it is best to buy from reputable industrial supplier like Misumi to make sure you got the real NTN bearing.
I also check the equivalent bearing from Nachi bearing, NSK bearing, and Koyo bearing and all of them have their spec slightly below the NTN spec. and their pricing is similar to NTN so I just bought NTN bearings.
I now just need to buy 1 more pairs of this bearing for the 998 project.
One more time, I am sure the Speedymoto tapered bearing kit or ImA tapered bearing kit are more than adequate to function as a slow rotating steering bearing on our Ducati... and they are the best bang for the buck
However, if you got to have the best then, let's just say that "money doesn't lie" ;)
IMG_9112.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
My goal since last year's EICMA in Milan back in November 2021 was to get the Ohlins FGR400 forks as soon as it is available on the market.
However, 1 year passed, and we had just finished with EICMA 2022 trade show, and Ohlins was still unable to release it to the market.
Well, the current release schedule is supposed to be February 2023.

I am so tired of waiting for FGR400 that never materializes,...

So, since July, I was doing "WALLET STRETCHING" every day so I can just get "a different and supposedly unobtanium" forks,...
But despite my best effort, my wallet just won't stretch enough 😅

Until, a few weeks ago, Alvaro Bautista won the 2022 WSBK (on the tail win of the Ducati MotoGP championship from Pecco).
These 2 events gave me the "SPIRITUAL BOOST" needed to "MENTALLY STRETCH" my wallet just barely enough to purchase...

The REAL DEAL Ohlins RVP25 WSBK forks for 2023 (next year) championship 😌

I was smiling all day long today because I am looking forward to holding the RVP25 in my hands hopefully in 2 to 3 weeks from now 🥳

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I am quite busy this weekend preparing for an important event on Monday so I am not sure whether I can work on my 2 projects, however, some parts arrived:

A. CNC Racing steering damper bracket, I bought this because I am not sure whether I want an ImA handlebar or try something different. However, if it is not ImA, then most likely those handlebar will not have built-in steering damper mount so I will need a separate bracket.
Which is why I bought this CNC Racing steering damper kit. Oh, forgot to explain, the reason why I need a new handlebar and steering damper bracket is because the Ohlins RVP25 has a diameter of 54.5mm while our stock Ohlins forks diameter is only 53mm.
This CNC Racing steering damper bracket is also only 53mm diameter, but I though I can ask a machine shop to cut 0.75mm in radius allowing it to match 54.5mm in diameter.
IMG_9149.JPGIMG_9150.JPG

B. Ilmberger carbon fiber lower tank protector. So a few years ago, I already bought 1 piece from Ilmberger and sent it to my painter shop at that time, Color Palette Works in Oregon. He did an amazing job for my SC-Project carbon heat shield, so I trust him to paint Ohlin's logo on this carbon fiber lower tank protector from Ilmberger... (this was about 2 years ago before COVID)
However, a few months went by, and he always told me he was still occupied with other projects (his main focus was painting bicycle frames), and later he told me he was in the middle of moving to a new facility... and then he just... gone... his website, Instagram and Facebook went radio silent...
I am not sure what happened to him, but in my last email to him, I told him I was not angry with him because I am sure whatever problem he was having that caused him to just disappear must be much more serious than me losing my Ilmberger carbon fiber lower tank protector...
I hope he is fine and doing better now...

Then, I decided (last year) to purchase another Ilmberger lower tank protector to replace the missing piece... and of course, COVID started so it took about 1 year before I was finally able to secure one, and arrived today...
IMG_9152.JPG

This time, I am going to send it soon to SPOOKY FAST in Arizona for further customization :cool:

Oh, also, 2 banjo switch also arrived (just in case someday I need it):
IMG_9151.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I wasn't planning to work on my 916, however, couldn't help it 🤣 so I did a little work...

For the past few times, I smelt something was burning everything I started my bike and ran the engine for 15 minutes or so...
I suspect it must be the SC-Project Carbon Fiber heat shield, so... I took out the heat shield today and notice burn marks on both the pipe and the rear of the heat shield:
IMG_9153.JPGIMG_9154.JPG
IMG_9155.JPG

First, I use dremel to took out the burnt marked on the Titanium Pipe and polish it:
IMG_9156.JPGIMG_9157.JPG

I also had purchased another DEI Onyx Black Fabric Heat Shield a few months ago, because I want to cover some of the header that did not covered by the carbon fiber heat shield and radiate immense heat to my calf.
I had an idea on how I am going to secure it to the bike, first I took out the stainless steel spacer and holder of the clamp:
IMG_9158.JPGIMG_9159.JPG

Then, i will align the hole to the mounting hole of the carbon fiber heat shield:
IMG_9160.JPGIMG_9161.JPG

In the remaining mounting hole for the carbon fiber heat shield, I add Ducati original heat spacer:
IMG_9162.JPG

IMG_9163.JPGIMG_9164.JPG

Then I install it back, and here how it looks now:
IMG_9165.JPGIMG_9166.JPG

First this is NOT the final look, and I will improve by:
a. Replacing those ProTi bolts that I temporary used to hold the carbon fiber shield with a wider top surface, because I don't have the 15mm ProTi bolts with wider surface at this moment
b. Those holes on the DEI fabric heat shield will be covered by another Gold ProTi bolts to make them looks much nicer.
c. I also read that the DEI fabric heat shield is rated at 1,350 Faranheit, but they also need to be space a bit with those stainless steel spacer... since there is no way to use those stainless steel spacer, I will just add wrapping on some of the titanium exhaust pipe (only in strategic area because wrapping all of Titanium pipe will make it prone to cracking due to trapped heat and thin surface of the brittle titanium piping).
d. I will also add for DEI fabric heat shield on the top left area of the carbon fiber heat shield to further cover those big pipe going to the rear silencer.
e. oh, I also will add some gold heat resistant sticker over those burnt area behind the carbon fiber heat shield
f. I also will add some DEI titanium wrap under the DEI heat shield currently protecting the Ohlins hydraulic pre-load adjuster line, this will be done in conjuction with installing those new Ilmberger Carbon Fiber heat protection under the rear of the gas tank

This will be project heat resistant on its own ;)

topolino

I wasn't planning to work on my 916, however, couldn't help it 🤣 so I did a little work...

For the past few times, I smelt something was burning everything I started my bike and ran the engine for 15 minutes or so...
I suspect it must be the SC-Project Carbon Fiber heat shield, so... I took out the heat shield today and notice burn marks on both the pipe and the rear of the heat shield:
View attachment 10834View attachment 10835
View attachment 10836

First, I use dremel to took out the burnt marked on the Titanium Pipe and polish it:
View attachment 10837View attachment 10838

I also had purchased another DEI Onyx Black Fabric Heat Shield a few months ago, because I want to cover some of the header that did not covered by the carbon fiber heat shield and radiate immense heat to my calf.
I had an idea on how I am going to secure it to the bike, first I took out the stainless steel spacer and holder of the clamp:
View attachment 10839View attachment 10840

Then, i will align the hole to the mounting hole of the carbon fiber heat shield:
View attachment 10841View attachment 10842

In the remaining mounting hole for the carbon fiber heat shield, I add Ducati original heat spacer:
View attachment 10843

View attachment 10844View attachment 10845

Then I install it back, and here how it looks now:
View attachment 10846View attachment 10847

First this is NOT the final look, and I will improve by:
a. Replacing those ProTi bolts that I temporary used to hold the carbon fiber shield with a wider top surface, because I don't have the 15mm ProTi bolts with wider surface at this moment
b. Those holes on the DEI fabric heat shield will be covered by another Gold ProTi bolts to make them looks much nicer.
c. I also read that the DEI fabric heat shield is rated at 1,350 Faranheit, but they also need to be space a bit with those stainless steel spacer... since there is no way to use those stainless steel spacer, I will just add wrapping on some of the titanium exhaust pipe (only in strategic area because wrapping all of Titanium pipe will make it prone to cracking due to trapped heat and thin surface of the brittle titanium piping).
d. I will also add for DEI fabric heat shield on the top left area of the carbon fiber heat shield to further cover those big pipe going to the rear silencer.
e. oh, I also will add some gold heat resistant sticker over those burnt area behind the carbon fiber heat shield
f. I also will add some DEI titanium wrap under the DEI heat shield currently protecting the Ohlins hydraulic pre-load adjuster line, this will be done in conjuction with installing those new Ilmberger Carbon Fiber heat protection under the rear of the gas tank

This will be project heat resistant on its own ;)
Surprised that SC Project have not had issues with other customers bikes, as it seems they did not design the heat shield to have enough clearance from the pipework underneath. Maybe they should have included some small stand-offs to give a couple of mm more clearance. Those aramid washers will certainly help in insulating the carbon from the titanium and all that heat. It would also not be beyond the wit of man (namely SC Project) to make another version of the heat cover that extends forward slightly, to cover the RH rear header pipe. Either way you will never be able to eradicate all the radiated heat, as it has to go somewhere! Reflective tape does just that as the heat is redirected, hopefully away from the expensive carbon fibre and the rider's legs.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
The SC-Project carbon fiber heat shield had been problematic from the start. First, the finish was so bad, with a lot of scratches and dull color, it looked worse than any other carbon fiber product I had purchased in the past.
They are different carbon fiber than the material used for their silencers.
They also did not add any heat shielding at the back of the heat shield, so anyone who races their bike will soon have decolored carbon fiber heat shield due to the excessive heat from the rear exhaust manifold.
Plus, the head shield will not fit the Rizoma rear set without the extra spacer that I add to the Rizoma rear set.

However, ... their dual pipe exit design (the pipe itself) is my favorite and closer to the original 916 styles, which makes all these extra troubles worth it for me ;) ... I just have to find the solutions, and I think everything will be fine soon :cool:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Oh, by the way, I also ordered the new Brembo GP4-LM calipers a few days ago. The GP4-LM is 108mm and perfect for the WSBK look with the RVP25
I also purchased the Ducati original 2022 Carbon Fiber winglets (smaller than the pre 2020 generation), but this will require custom reinforcement behind the fairing to withstand the downforce generated... and I already have a couple of ideas 🤓😁