DUCATI Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 BUILD Thread

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Andy, I wish I bought this ultrasonic cleaner before... safe me lot's of time when cleaning parts 😅

Wow, wonder how it felt to run 200 mph... fastest I ever did was speedometer indicated roughly 185mph, back in 1996, at 3am, slightly downhill "somewhere in West LA 😇"
By the way, I bought all this replacement parts for my Honda Fit Brembo from Brad @MOTION SBK , so if any of you need Brembo parts for your car, Brad can supply them too at very good price and super fast shipment.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I wish I can do more with my bikes today, but between household related chores and my office manager suddenly contacting me because DHL decided to deliver a robot to our office during president's day holiday, and our headoffice outside the country asking for meeting... well I just don't have much time today...
but I feel, I need to at least do something with this bike since I am been kinda neglected it after the 998 arrive 🤪

So... the Ducati Performance tank protector had been peeling off since, maybe last year... and I already bought a new (but same) replacement... then again I also bought the new Ducati Performance tank expander... sooo....

First, this was how bad it was...
IMG_5921.JPG

Next... well peel it off and it looks like some fossilized dinosaur bones 🧐:
IMG_5922.JPG

Of course it left some adhesive residue on the left picture and I polish them out on the right picture:
IMG_5923.JPGIMG_5924.JPG

Then I used some painters tape to help with alignment:
IMG_5925.JPG

Time to prepare the adhesive 3M double tape by heating them up, since colder ambient temperature will create problem with their strength to stick:
IMG_5926.JPGIMG_5927.JPG

And this is how it looks now:
IMG_5932.JPGIMG_5933.JPG

IMG_5934.JPGIMG_5935.JPG

IMG_5936.JPGIMG_5937.JPG

IMG_5938.JPGIMG_5942.JPG

IMG_5939.JPG

IMG_5940.JPGIMG_5941.JPG
But wait, I am not done yet, and will continue on the next post 🥳 below:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I’m happy you like the tank extender I got roasted on fb and by some riders about how “ugly” it is and I’m like you guys have no idea how beautiful this piece is in person.
Hi @Max ,
We both have the same "ugly" tank extender on our bikes now 😇.

But First, Ugliness can become Beauty in the eyes of the "right" beholder :love:
and Second, those FB "commenter" are also welcome to roast me if they like, but that also means, they will NEVER have this beautifully crafted carbon fiber tank extender officially produced by Ducati Performance just for you and me ;)

However, I do feel that it will be a waste if I did not use the Ducati Performance adhesive tank guard that I already purchased. After consulting with both my sons and my wife, they give me thumbs up to add those Ducati Performance tank guard,...
Well, I made a mock up from the old peel out tank guard first to simulate:
IMG_5944.JPGIMG_5949.JPG

Here is the new set:
IMG_5943.JPG

Then cut the set in half, since there is no space available:
IMG_5945.JPG

Use the clear sticker to help "transfer" the tank protector:
IMG_5946.JPGIMG_5947.JPG

Treat the surface with the "adhesive promoter" that now came with this set ( it wasn't included in my first set, but I believe Ducati received a lot of complain about this tank protector peeling off, because I remember @HKMP7 also have the same peeling off issue):
IMG_5948.JPG

Peel the backing:
IMG_5950.JPG

And installed:
IMG_5951.JPGIMG_5952.JPG

IMG_5953.JPGIMG_5954.JPG

IMG_5955.JPGIMG_5956.JPG

IMG_5957.JPG

IMG_5958.JPGIMG_5959.JPG

Now, not only the Ducati Performance Carbon Fiber Tank Extender provide more support and ergonomic, combine with the Ducati Performance Tank Protector, they provide more comprehensive protection for the tank surface....

Now, I still have some idea for that rubber grip that came with this kit... but that is for the next step 🤩

For now, I wrap everything with painter's tape and will leave it like this for at least 1 week to make sure they won't peel off again:
IMG_5960.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I have been looking at purchasing the Ducati tank extender to give me a better fit to the tank. Thank you for the copious pictures.
Hi The Avidmoto,
Thank you for joining our forum and glad I am able to provide you with the pictures.
If you decide to purchase this tank extender, I want to add that before you install it, you might want to test fit by moving it in the up and down direction until you find the place where the 3M double tape can touch the tank easily without having to push the Carbon Fiber too much.
Meaning the curvature of the tank extender fit the tank easily. Please note you still need to provide a bit of press to make the tank extender confirm/follow the shape of the tank but not stressing the carbon fiber too much.
Otherwise, the carbon fiber material will try to sprung back and might LIFT the 3M double tape in the long run causing everything to fall off.
Also, if possible, please kindly help by starting your Build Thread so we all can learn from your experience too.
Thanks again from Howard

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Do you think an adhesive promotor would help?
Hello bp_SFV4,
Adhesive Promotor sure will help, however you need to make sure to use the adhesive promoter that is safe for paint because some adhesive promoter works by "softening the surface" so it will be more "open" to the adhesion mechanism of the adhesive.

The Avidmoto

Hi The Avidmoto,
Thank you for joining our forum and glad I am able to provide you with the pictures.
If you decide to purchase this tank extender, I want to add that before you install it, you might want to test fit by moving it in the up and down direction until you find the place where the 3M double tape can touch the tank easily without having to push the Carbon Fiber too much.
Meaning the curvature of the tank extender fit the tank easily. Please note you still need to provide a bit of press to make the tank extender confirm/follow the shape of the tank but not stressing the carbon fiber too much.
Otherwise, the carbon fiber material will try to sprung back and might LIFT the 3M double tape in the long run causing everything to fall off.
Also, if possible, please kindly help by starting your Build Thread so we all can learn from your experience too.
Thanks again from Howard
Hmm...I would like this to stay put with 3M and WITHOUT using adhesive promotor. I make pass on this.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I purchased this Titanium Pin that hold the rear brake caliper from spinning but the good thing about it is, it also fit our Panigale V4S swing arm, so I buy 2 pieces 😃.
The company is IM Manufaktur from Germany and here is the link to the webpage: Bremssattelhalter Aretierungsschraube Titan Grade 5 - Ducati - IM-Manufaktur

By the way, they came in black finished too ahem @HKMP7 ahem 😃 but black finished is more expensive (like 1 euro something more expensive) and since I am cheap, I just purchase the silver color one 🤪
IMG_5966.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
For all the track riders, street riders, and static riders like me 🤪

Just saw this IMPROVED version of the CBE Factory CNC machined coolant manifold/thermostatic valve remover.

This is the link to the old version that I installed on my bike: CNC Coolant manifold - thermostatic valve remover for Ducati Panigale V4 all m.y. - CBEFactory

This is the link to the NEW improved flow version: CNC Coolant manifold - thermostatic valve remover for Ducati V4 all m.y. / all models - BLACK - CBEFactory

As tempting as it maybe, I am NOT going to remove my airbox, throttle body and samco hoses anymore, so I will stay with the old inferior version 😅
But for you guys that have not done this,... then good things come to those who wait.

Here is the picture of the new version that had a "flat head" (more pictures in the 2 links above):
1645768879070.png

Max

Hi @Max ,
We both have the same "ugly" tank extender on our bikes now 😇.

But First, Ugliness can become Beauty in the eyes of the "right" beholder :love:
and Second, those FB "commenter" are also welcome to roast me if they like, but that also means, they will NEVER have this beautifully crafted carbon fiber tank extender officially produced by Ducati Performance just for you and me ;)

However, I do feel that it will be a waste if I did not use the Ducati Performance adhesive tank guard that I already purchased. After consulting with both my sons and my wife, they give me thumbs up to add those Ducati Performance tank guard,...
Well, I made a mock up from the old peel out tank guard first to simulate:
View attachment 7764View attachment 7770

Here is the new set:
View attachment 7765

Then cut the set in half, since there is no space available:
View attachment 7766

Use the clear sticker to help "transfer" the tank protector:
View attachment 7767View attachment 7768

Treat the surface with the "adhesive promoter" that now came with this set ( it wasn't included in my first set, but I believe Ducati received a lot of complain about this tank protector peeling off, because I remember @HKMP7 also have the same peeling off issue):
View attachment 7769

Peel the backing:
View attachment 7771

And installed:
View attachment 7772View attachment 7773

View attachment 7774View attachment 7775

View attachment 7776View attachment 7777

View attachment 7778

View attachment 7779View attachment 7780

Now, not only the Ducati Performance Carbon Fiber Tank Extender provide more support and ergonomic, combine with the Ducati Performance Tank Protector, they provide more comprehensive protection for the tank surface....

Now, I still have some idea for that rubber grip that came with this kit... but that is for the next step 🤩

For now, I wrap everything with painter's tape and will leave it like this for at least 1 week to make sure they won't peel off again:
View attachment 7781
i did this as well at first because i had a hard time throwing away money hahaha but then in the end decided to take the tank protector off and just have the extender

The Avidmoto

Hi The Avidmoto,
Thanks again from Howard
How is the tank extender holding up? I realize your Panigale is static but what are your thought on how the 3m tape would hold up in a dynamic environment? I have a bug guard using 3m tape on my Jeep and it feels like it's drilled onto the hood. But, there isn't a person constantly moving from side to side placing stress on the tape.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
How is the tank extender holding up? I realize your Panigale is static but what are your thought on how the 3m tape would hold up in a dynamic environment? I have a bug guard using 3m tape on my Jeep and it feels like it's drilled onto the hood. But, there isn't a person constantly moving from side to side placing stress on the tape.
Hi The Avidmoto,
Thanks for asking me about this, because I actually forgot that I still have the 3M painters tape holding the Carbon Fiber Tank Extender and Tank Protector. I was planning to remove it after 1 week (which should be last Friday), but since I did not do anything with my bike and I cover it with polishing towel, it made me forgot about it 😅.
So right after I read your post above, I peel off the 3M painters tape:
IMG_6132.JPGIMG_6133.JPG

And then I checked to make sure all 3M DOUBLE Tape (Adhesive) stay/stick to both the Carbon Fiber and Gas Tank (No Lift Up) and so glad everything stay.
IMG_6134.JPGIMG_6135.JPG

I then sit on the bike to see the position and the force this Carbon Fiber Tank Extender exposed to when someone ride it with high angle on a track, and I can see that when you corner to the right, your left thigh will not only "grab" to it, but also PUSH it towards the tank, meaning it actually press the carbon fiber tank extender instead of peeling it off.
So I don't see any risk of it peeling off. I think it will stay forever or at least for many years.
The only think I will watch out is to make sure, when you fill your gas tank, AVOID the gasoline from spilling over to the carbon fiber tank extender because it could degrade the 3M double tape adhesive and cause it to lift up.

And when/if some how, the 3M double tape adhesive start peeling off, it should do it gradually in some areas first where you can quickly replace all the 3M adhesive with a new one (of course it's a pain to remove and re apply).

Oh, and yes, under the bright glistening morning sun, I think they look even better :love:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
UPS delivered a small package envelope today containing this:
IMG_6140.JPG

That is the Crimp Collar made by Earl's for their AN8 Ultra-Flex (top of the line) hoses.
Why not Goodridge? Well, the equivalent crimp for Goodridge hose was not available everywhere. In fact, I purchase few sets of Goodridge crimp from eBay, there the store actually print a USPS shipping label, but NEVER shipped the item.
I suspect this is the standard procedure for some store on eBay who listed items that they don't have in stock, because they can't tell the buyer that they don't have them in stock because we will write a bad review on eBay.
So what they did was, print a USPS shipping label and then never ship the item.
I was asking them 2 times before the shipping arrival date due and after the arrival date due, and this store NEVER answer my question.
Finally, I file a claim with eBay for refund and only then the store response right before the deadline post by eBay for the store to respond saying they already ship but the USPS must have missed the package, and then issue refund right away...
I mean if they have this in stock, they would offer replacement item instead of refunding me...
Anyway, I was planning to wait until this Goodridge crimp available again from Goodridge UK, then I realize... wait a minute... Earl's might have the equivalent item.
So I start researching the diameter and found this crimp should be a good fit. I am not 100% sure of course, so I decided to take a calculated gamble and buy them...

And here are the result:
Looks fit,... so
IMG_6141.JPG

I press more:
IMG_6142.JPGIMG_6143.JPG

So far so good, so next insert the Ducati fitting and yes it fit 🧐🤓🥳:
IMG_6144.JPG

So next step will be buying a Ducati right oil hose set so I can took out the 90 degree fitting from it because I will need that, and later see if Brad @MOTION SBK can help me crimp this with his crimping machines 😁

Max

I have it and I ride with it. It’s on like glue

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I bought the GP4-RR Caliper because I thought the color will be hard anodized in golden hue like in all the pictures... and I am sure they were gold,
However, when I received them, Brembo had change the anodized color to Grey... and I don't really like this grey because it is to plain gray.......

I tried to find painters in the US who can paint to sample in the color that I want, and either they don't respond, or they don't know and say will get back to me and then never respond again... like nobody know want to work on project that require too much customization... despite I am willing to pay and understand there is cost for customization...

So, I lost my patient and just contact BCS in UK. They respond to me super fast and they know the color too because there are plenty of this color used in Europe.
The color is Gold from Brembo Brake Caliper used in Volvo Polestar line 🤩.

It is very expensive to ship package to UK, and the painting cost is also... well not economical but the result show... you got what you pay for, and they just email me some pictures below... so now I can't wait to get them back home 😍:
3.png1.png

2.png

craig bush

Hi Craig,
I did not talk to Brad before I sent to BCS. Does Brad offer painting service?
I know he has a service he uses for anodizing, and for painting. I can’t speculate whether either would have taken this job specifically though.

I’d be surprised if Brad didn’t have a connection for anything we wanted or needed. I wouldn’t undertake any project on a Ducati without asking him first - if he doesn’t already have a solution, he can probably find one.

For future reference. :)