DUCATI ECU and BBS Tuning (Racing EVO) for aftermarket exhaust

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
To make changes to the BBS and ECU, you will need a "Kvaser Leaf Light HS v2", a CAN-Converter to connect to your PC. You will also need a cable to connect the vehicle to the Kvaser.

The ECU and BBS flashing is done with software provided by rexxer. Each mapping is also provided with a unique VIN number built in.

View attachment 2047

View attachment 2048

View attachment 2049

View attachment 2050
Thanks so much @ggok , this is really the missing piece of information for me, and now I fully understand the whole process.

yeah it's in the kit if someone go 4 it please show it the all process
Hi @POMPLARDPANAM
I will go 4 it 😁 because I made up my mind and plan to purchase the SC-Project WSBK exhaust today plus I really want the dashboard to say "Racing EVO" at all cost 🤓😇
It will take a few months though because, I was just told the SC-Project WSBK exhaust will be ready for delivery by end of January 2021 if I order it today 😅

BMW Alpina

Staff member
XECU (Rexxer Italy) just replied back to me and turn out the "TWIN MAP" (ECU and BBS) only available for 2019 and older Panigale V4.

My bike being the 2020 model had different BBS system/connection, thus XECU / Rexxer Italy does not have BBS MAP yet for it...
so I guess for now, I need to be satisfied with Racing "PRO" instead of Racing "EVO" 🥴

Well like William Shakespeare used to say: “What's in a name?" ;)

Anyway, here is copy and paste from Ducati website for the electronics system in my bike model (and the same as in the 2020 V4S) related to this discussion:
Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 | Technical details

Electronics for the track

The Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 is equipped with a state-of-the-art electronic package, based on the use of the Bosch 6-axis inertial platform (6D IMU – Inertial Measurement Unit) that includes controls to manage all the riding phases. The electronic equipment includes:
  • Bosch EVO ABS Cornering
  • Ducati Traction Control EVO 2 (DTC EVO 2)
  • Ducati Slide Control (DSC)
  • Ducati Wheelie Control EVO (DWC EVO)
  • Ducati Power Launch (DPL)
  • Ducati Quick Shift up/down EVO 2 (DQS EVO 2)
  • Engine Brake Control EVO (EBC EVO)
  • Ducati Electronic Suspension EVO (DES EVO)

This new version uses the strategy of the Ducati Traction Control EVO 2 (DTC EVO 2), derived from the Ducati Desmosedici GP18, and already used on the Panigale V4 R and V4 R SBK. It not only interfaces with the 6-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) and adapts its intervention and bike sliding to bike leaning angle, but the software also considerably improves power management out of bends thanks to the new "predictive" control strategy.
Ducati Traction Control EVO (DTC EVO 2) works both on rear spinning instant value, and also on its variation, intercepting grip loss more quickly and reducing slipping peaks, which ensures a faster a smoother intervention. This translates into a greater vehicle stability when exiting bends also when grip is not excellent, enhanced acceleration and improved performance both on single laps and on the long run.

Furthermore, the DTC EVO 2 works the throttle body valves when no fast control is required, thereby ensuring that ideal combustion parameters are maintained and obtaining a smoother engine response. The DTC EVO 2 can be set to 8 different levels (6 for dry conditions and 2 for wet conditions), which allow each rider to adjust the control strategy to his/her own riding style and grip conditions, in order to achieve top performance.

Derived directly from the Panigale V4 R, the DQS EVO 2 increases stability during gear shifts at times of strong acceleration when bent and reduces up-shift cutting times, allowing for sportier gear shifting at high loads – over 10,000 rpm, typical in track use.

ggok

The ECU map for the slip-on exhaust (DP1) is named D2630U1IABABL1 (Racing)
There are no changes to the BBS mapping.

The ECU map for full-exhaust (DP2) is named D2630U1IABACL1 (Racing EVO)
BBS mapping is also done.

Tuneboy Flash Contitech
CL1 ECU1.png

rexxer MP Tuner
スタンダード.PNG

In the case of EVO2, the mapping name is the same, but the ECU, BBS and DSB (dashboard) have been changed to their own mappings.

HAL9000:D
evo evo.PNG

I have read out the TERMIGNONI T800 system, which appears on the dashboard as Racing pro, and the Rexxer system ECU with a disabled Lambda Sensor, both of which have the mapping name D2630U1IABACL1.

Standard(stock) EU specification D2630U1IABAAL1

ABAL1 Standard.jpg

Standard.jpg

キャプチャ.PNG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
The ECU map for the slip-on exhaust (DP1) is named D2630U1IABABL1 (Racing)
There are no changes to the BBS mapping.

The ECU map for full-exhaust (DP2) is named D2630U1IABACL1 (Racing EVO)
BBS mapping is also done.

Tuneboy Flash Contitech
View attachment 2244

rexxer MP Tuner
View attachment 2245

In the case of EVO2, the mapping name is the same, but the ECU, BBS and DSB (dashboard) have been changed to their own mappings.

HAL9000:D
View attachment 2246

I have read out the TERMIGNONI T800 system, which appears on the dashboard as Racing pro, and the Rexxer system ECU with a disabled Lambda Sensor, both of which have the mapping name D2630U1IABACL1.

Standard(stock) EU specification D2630U1IABAAL1

View attachment 2247

View attachment 2248

View attachment 2249
Hi @ggok ,

Thanks again for your very informative post. I copy and paste your post to this thread, to make this thread have more information in it.
I want to ask some question:
a. Are you aware of hardware differences between 2020 bike and pre 2020 (2019/2018) bike? Because XECU/Rexxer Italy can't flash my 2020 bike with the twin flash (ECU/BBS) anymore
b. All this tuner asked customer to connect their tuning device to download our stock software and email it to them. Is it just because they need to check our software/hardware version or they actually need to extract some information from our stock software and add it to the upgraded map/software?
c. Do the tuner really need to use the VIN number to perform this map upgrade? If not then in theory, anyone can just buy the tuning hardware and then upload a MAP from other people.
I understand that for Ducati official Akrapovic map, a VIN number is needed to lock the license, but how about this tuner map? were those map lock to a VIN number?
d. Do the DSB software automatically upgrade when you do the TWIN Rexxer mapping? and is your current DSB still stock or upgraded? if you need to upgrade DSB separately, how did you perform your upgrade?
e. If I purchase the DTC EVO2 SLICK upgrade only and still use my stock map, will it change the message on my dashboard to Racing EVO?

Thanks

ggok

Hi @ggok ,

Thanks again for your very informative post. I copy and paste your post to this thread, to make this thread have more information in it.
I want to ask some question:
a. Are you aware of hardware differences between 2020 bike and pre 2020 (2019/2018) bike? Because XECU/Rexxer Italy can't flash my 2020 bike with the twin flash (ECU/BBS) anymore
b. All this tuner asked customer to connect their tuning device to download our stock software and email it to them. Is it just because they need to check our software/hardware version or they actually need to extract some information from our stock software and add it to the upgraded map/software?
c. Do the tuner really need to use the VIN number to perform this map upgrade? If not then in theory, anyone can just buy the tuning hardware and then upload a MAP from other people.
I understand that for Ducati official Akrapovic map, a VIN number is needed to lock the license, but how about this tuner map? were those map lock to a VIN number?
d. Do the DSB software automatically upgrade when you do the TWIN Rexxer mapping? and is your current DSB still stock or upgraded? if you need to upgrade DSB separately, how did you perform your upgrade?
e. If I purchase the DTC EVO2 SLICK upgrade only and still use my stock map, will it change the message on my dashboard to Racing EVO?

Thanks
As it is Euro 4 compliant, there will be no major differences in hardware.

The MY21 model is Euro 5 compliant and will have different diagnostic ports, harnesses etc.

The BBS program on MY20 models has been upgraded to better predictive mapping for street and racing use (DTC EVO & DQS EVO road legal).
Likewise, the ECU has been mapped accordingly.

Switching to the racing-specific EVO2 on MY18-19 models is an upgrade to a better system.
However, overriding the excellent street and racing BBS mapping that is standard on MY20 models with a program for MY18-19 would be a downgrade in some respects.

In addition, the ECU and BBS have specific patterns that work together correctly.
There are many combinations of these patterns, and the software that is written to the BBS will change according to the ECU's specifications, which may also make rewriting ECU and BBS programs difficult.

This may or may not be relevant, but ECU, BBS, DASH and other computers that are connected to the CAN network have compatibility codes that are assigned to each car model, and a rexxer system that does not make changes to the dashboard may show errors.

b c
Within the BBS & ECU mapping you need to include the VIN number of your (Alpina) vehicle. The same applies to the official DUCATI EVO2 system.
If you use a BBS&ECU map with your VIN number in it on another vehicle with a different VIN number, the program will freeze and lock up.
However, it is possible to program other vehicles by paying an extra fee.

d
The rexxer does not change the DSB, as there is no functional problem, and rewriting the dashboard is time consuming.
There may also be issues with design rights (dashboard display).

e
The official DUCATI DTC EVO2 SLICK changes the entire DASH, BBS and ECU.
DP1 (Racing) and DP2 (Racing EVO)
The DTC EVO2 SLICK for OEM exhaust is not marked in any way.

In Rexxer systems, DP1 (slip-on) and DP2 (full-exhaust) are indicated as Racing EVO.

All mappings where the O2 sensor has been disabled are shown in Racing Pro.

ggok

Here's why I chose to install the DTC/DQS EVO2 system.

The DTC/DQS EVO2 system has two main advantages: it makes the upshift quickshifter faster than the stock one, and it completes the downshift reliably at very high revs (above 10000 rpm).
The acquisition of akrapovic mapping was not so important for me.
And now I am very happy with the result.
The upshift quickshifter is much faster than the stock one, and the downshift is smooth and fluid.

I have been using the Tuneboy system to tune my 1199 1299 since 2014.
I have enjoyed using the Tuneboy system to add features such as auto-blipper systems, cruise control and launch control systems, even before they were standard on Ducati.
Because of this experience, I prefer to be able to make my own adjustments to the bike and, if necessary, to return it to stock condition at any time, without having to rely on a Ducati shop.
This is why I chose to use the rexxer system instead of the official Ducati system.

Before trying the rexxer system, I had experience with the TERMIGNONI T800 and the Tuneboy (Contitech M4D).

I kept the BBS as rexxer and overwrote the ECU with Tuneboy D2630U1IABACL1_Akra_TB_Tune.dat.

No errors, but the upshift and quickshifter are slower.
The downshift is less smooth and a bit jerky. It's not perfect.

When I switch back to the rexxer again, the upshift quickshifter is much faster than the stock.
And the downshifts are smoother.
This means that even though the ECU mapping names read out by the software are the same, they are completely different with and without EVO2.

I have also tried the TERMIGNONI UP-MAP T800.
The quickshifter is considerably slower than the stock and worse.
It is uncomfortable.
And the downshift is jerky.

I don't get along with people who don't notice or feel uncomfortable with this.

After the ECU flash on the T800, I don't notice any difference, although I've seen people on other Ducati forums who put extra importance on running the heat cycle.

However, you should unplug the O2 sensor connector.
As Tuneboy said, this is because the sensor itself is still alive, it just doesn't show an error.
If you don't unplug the connector, the sensor will feed back in certain areas.

It is my personal experience that the use of the Termignoni T800 device on the MY18-19 Panigal models is not recommended.

On MY20 models, the updated BBS software and mapping may give better results, but I don't know as I don't know anyone who uses them.

I have emailed this to Tuneboy.
Wayne at Tuneboy is a genius.
In the near future it may be possible to flash a BBS on the Tuneboy system.

My ideal would be to keep the rexxer BBS and use the Tuneboy ECU file D2630U1IABACL1_Akra_Tune.dat to tune the motorcycle.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Here's why I chose to install the DTC/DQS EVO2 system.

The DTC/DQS EVO2 system has two main advantages: it makes the upshift quickshifter faster than the stock one, and it completes the downshift reliably at very high revs (above 10000 rpm).
The acquisition of akrapovic mapping was not so important for me.
And now I am very happy with the result.
The upshift quickshifter is much faster than the stock one, and the downshift is smooth and fluid.

I have been using the Tuneboy system to tune my 1199 1299 since 2014.
I have enjoyed using the Tuneboy system to add features such as auto-blipper systems, cruise control and launch control systems, even before they were standard on Ducati.
Because of this experience, I prefer to be able to make my own adjustments to the bike and, if necessary, to return it to stock condition at any time, without having to rely on a Ducati shop.
This is why I chose to use the rexxer system instead of the official Ducati system.

Before trying the rexxer system, I had experience with the TERMIGNONI T800 and the Tuneboy (Contitech M4D).

I kept the BBS as rexxer and overwrote the ECU with Tuneboy D2630U1IABACL1_Akra_TB_Tune.dat.

No errors, but the upshift and quickshifter are slower.
The downshift is less smooth and a bit jerky. It's not perfect.

When I switch back to the rexxer again, the upshift quickshifter is much faster than the stock.
And the downshifts are smoother.
This means that even though the ECU mapping names read out by the software are the same, they are completely different with and without EVO2.

I have also tried the TERMIGNONI UP-MAP T800.
The quickshifter is considerably slower than the stock and worse.
It is uncomfortable.
And the downshift is jerky.

I don't get along with people who don't notice or feel uncomfortable with this.

After the ECU flash on the T800, I don't notice any difference, although I've seen people on other Ducati forums who put extra importance on running the heat cycle.

However, you should unplug the O2 sensor connector.
As Tuneboy said, this is because the sensor itself is still alive, it just doesn't show an error.
If you don't unplug the connector, the sensor will feed back in certain areas.

It is my personal experience that the use of the Termignoni T800 device on the MY18-19 Panigal models is not recommended.

On MY20 models, the updated BBS software and mapping may give better results, but I don't know as I don't know anyone who uses them.

I have emailed this to Tuneboy.
Wayne at Tuneboy is a genius.
In the near future it may be possible to flash a BBS on the Tuneboy system.

My ideal would be to keep the rexxer BBS and use the Tuneboy ECU file D2630U1IABACL1_Akra_Tune.dat to tune the motorcycle.
Hi ggok,
I have this suspicion that my 2020 Ducati Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 is NOT running the new for 2020 BBS software because the suspension (spring rates and the geometry) on my bike is still the same as the 2019 V4S.
Of course I am not sure about this, just suspect.
Although my bike did came with the DTC/DQS EVO2 (Street) that Ducati claim to be similar to the V4R (2019)

Below is copy and paste from Ducati website regarding my bike:
The 25° Anniversario 916 is built on the mechanics of the Panigale V4 S. This has been upgraded with racing content from the Panigale V4 R such as the Front Frame, designed to Ducati Corse specifications, the dry clutch and even more track-specific electronics, such as Ducati Quick Shift EVO 2, optimized for aggressive gear shifts, and 'predictive' Ducati Traction Control EVO 2.

Do you know a way to check to see if my bike had the 2019 software or the 2020 software? Or did all bike with DQS/DTC EVO 2 has the new 2020 software per XECU/Rexxer explanation?

ggok

Hi ggok,
I have this suspicion that my 2020 Ducati Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 is NOT running the new for 2020 BBS software because the suspension (spring rates and the geometry) on my bike is still the same as the 2019 V4S.
Of course I am not sure about this, just suspect.
Although my bike did came with the DTC/DQS EVO2 (Street) that Ducati claim to be similar to the V4R (2019)

Below is copy and paste from Ducati website regarding my bike:
The 25° Anniversario 916 is built on the mechanics of the Panigale V4 S. This has been upgraded with racing content from the Panigale V4 R such as the Front Frame, designed to Ducati Corse specifications, the dry clutch and even more track-specific electronics, such as Ducati Quick Shift EVO 2, optimized for aggressive gear shifts, and 'predictive' Ducati Traction Control EVO 2.

Do you know a way to check to see if my bike had the 2019 software or the 2020 software? Or did all bike with DQS/DTC EVO 2 has the new 2020 software per XECU/Rexxer explanation?
Hi,
Alpina

Your 916 is an updated BBS system😁

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi,
Alpina

Your 916 is an updated BBS system😁
Hi ggok,
as always thanks so much for the information. You are really the expert and have the experience with tuning.

It's funny but I am actually SAD😞to find out mine is an updated BBS System...
Because I rather follow your modification with the Rexxer BBS and ECU tuning (y) 😅

ggok

Hi ggok,
as always thanks so much for the information. You are really the expert and have the experience with tuning.

It's funny but I am actually SAD😞to find out mine is an updated BBS System...
Because I rather follow your modification with the Rexxer BBS and ECU tuning (y) 😅

If you can get a cheap used BBS, ECU or DASH (MY18-19 ) with the same VIN number, you can use the Rexxer system.

As long as the VIN number is correct, the replacement equipment will function correctly and no calibration is required.

ggok

Hi,
It's just a small chat.
I connected a DUCATI dealer's diagnostic machine to check the Panigale v4.

The ECU name was D 2630 U1 IABACL1 and it was akrapovic full exhaust.
The BBS code was 67, a slick tire version. This was a delightful miscalculation because I had recognized it was number 47 until now:cool:
mini_修正済 img002.jpg
キャプチャ.PNG

MaverickiB

A great dyno shop I know of in Washington told me they are getting V4 tuning capabilities, possibly from Whoolich finally, in a month or two. I'm not a fan of any of the current options, as they aren't "true" tuning. HSBK/Warhorse racing in New York can custom tune V4s but they need the entire bike there, not an option for me in San Diego. Hoping the shop up in Washington, or one locally eventually, can do it with just an ECU.

I think some current options are okay for standard machines, but I have access to 110 leaded race fuel and have everything emissions related pulled or blocked off, so I would like to get a good custom tune to take advantage of that. My cousin had a Brentune device on his new S1KRR and the dyno shop said the ignition delays were on the verge of being motor-grenade tier. They tout good numbers but it seems like they get those numbers by tuning in borderline dangerous values.

craig bush

A great dyno shop I know of in Washington told me they are getting V4 tuning capabilities, possibly from Whoolich finally, in a month or two. I'm not a fan of any of the current options, as they aren't "true" tuning. HSBK/Warhorse racing in New York can custom tune V4s but they need the entire bike there, not an option for me in San Diego...
My search shows them in Dunmore, PA? Either way, not an option for me in Texas either.

Good news re: Woolich. (y)

Have you heard anything about SLR Tuning?

MaverickiB

My search shows them in Dunmore, PA? Either way, not an option for me in Texas either.

Good news re: Woolich. (y)

Have you heard anything about SLR Tuning?
Oh, I thought they were out of New York, but I guess I could be wrong. Close enough, northeast is northeast. I've seen the name SLR but have not read about anyone's experience with it.