An 1199S Project

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Hello fellow Ducati fans,
My first post on this forum. Stand by for some time travel as my love affair with the 1199 started a while ago. I had a long break from motorcycling and then in around 2011 I started looking at bikes again. I test rode a couple of 1198 and the S1000RR. I liked the sound of the Ducati and always wanted one and was about to buy a new 2011 1198SP. Then I read about the Panigale 1199. The first bike was shown at the 2011 International Motorcycle and Accessories Exhibition (EICMA) in Milan. That was in November 2011. The next stop, (a week later) for that first bike was Sydney Australia, at the Sydney Motorcycle Show. I went to the show was there when it opened and saw the Panigale. It came here before it went to the USA. I could only look at it but not sit on it. I found a Ducati representative of the importer and paid my $500 deposit on the spot. I ended up receiving the 5th Panigale in Australia. I had to wait till May 2012.
This is a pic of the display bike back in 2011. Next stop was the USA.
IMG_0295.JPG
So roll forward to May 2012 and this next pic is my bike at the dealer the night I picked it up. My return to motorcycling after a 29 year break.
IMG_1394.JPG
Next pic, bike arrives home. My neighbour and good buddy (wearing glasses) a Harley Davidson owner, is in the process of telling me that Ducatis always break down due to bad electrics. I am trying to tell him all about how it is the first production bike with RBW throttle and LED headlights, while my son looks on at Dad's new toy.
IMG_1429.JPG
Well it did not take long and I started to think of what things I could do to the bike. The first thing that had to go was the terrible looking rear number plate holder which was a monstrosity. Well you are probably all bored by now with my ancient tale so will leave it to the next post for pics of the DP tail tidy, which was the start of what was to be a great journey of learning with this bike.

Looking forward to learning more on this new great forum.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hello fellow Ducati fans,
My first post on this forum. Stand by for some time travel as my love affair with the 1199 started a while ago. I had a long break from motorcycling and then in around 2011 I started looking at bikes again. I test rode a couple of 1198 and the S1000RR. I liked the sound of the Ducati and always wanted one and was about to buy a new 2011 1198SP. Then I read about the Panigale 1199. The first bike was shown at the 2011 International Motorcycle and Accessories Exhibition (EICMA) in Milan. That was in November 2011. The next stop, (a week later) for that first bike was Sydney Australia, at the Sydney Motorcycle Show. I went to the show was there when it opened and saw the Panigale. It came here before it went to the USA. I could only look at it but not sit on it. I found a Ducati representative of the importer and paid my $500 deposit on the spot. I ended up receiving the 5th Panigale in Australia. I had to wait till May 2012.
This is a pic of the display bike back in 2011. Next stop was the USA.
View attachment 1171
So roll forward to May 2012 and this next pic is my bike at the dealer the night I picked it up. My return to motorcycling after a 29 year break.
View attachment 1172
Next pic, bike arrives home. My neighbour and good buddy (wearing glasses) a Harley Davidson owner, is in the process of telling me that Ducatis always break down due to bad electrics. I am trying to tell him all about how it is the first production bike with RBW throttle and LED headlights, while my son looks on at Dad's new toy.
View attachment 1174
Well it did not take long and I started to think of what things I could do to the bike. The first thing that had to go was the terrible looking rear number plate holder which was a monstrosity. Well you are probably all bored by now with my ancient tale so will leave it to the next post for pics of the DP tail tidy, which was the start of what was to be a great journey of learning with this bike.

Looking forward to learning more on this new great forum.
Hi PanigalePilot,
I just noticed this was 8 years ago, your son must already grown up maybe even taller than you by now :)
Coincidentally, I arrived back with my family to start our new life here in the USA in 2012. My oldest son was about same age/height as yours at that time, now he just went to college and taller than me...
Time fly by very fast...

I am looking forward to hear more from your journey and experience with your Panigale build. I am sure it will have a lot of "human touch" in your story, a good life story of a passionate Ducatisti 🙂

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Hi PanigalePilot,
I just noticed this was 8 years ago, your son must already grown up maybe even taller than you by now :)
Coincidentally, I arrived back with my family to start our new life here in the USA in 2012. My oldest son was about same age/height as yours at that time, now he just went to college and taller than me...
Time fly by very fast...

I am looking forward to hear more from your journey and experience with your Panigale build. I am sure it will have a lot of "human touch" in your story, a good life story of a passionate Ducatisti 🙂
Thanks BMWAlpina
Over the last 8 years I have learned a lot about the 1199/1299 series so I thought I would go back to the start which hopefully may help people who have purchased one secondhand and are only recently starting their time with the older generation of Panigale

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Another post to go back into the time machine and back to my first mods in 2012.

This is the original number plate holder. Not very accurate kitchen scales but you can see about 525 grams. As you can see from the first photo not every attractive.IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

So I purchased the DP tail tidy and ended up with some weight saving and a much nicer look.

The weight saving was about 250 grams. Since that photo was taken in 2012 the law changed and the registration label inside the plastic holder which is attached under the registration plate is no longer required on the bike. You can also see the DP Clutch cover which I actually fitted before the tail tidy. Also the DP generator cover is on the other side.

You will note that there are no plastic cylinder head covers. These were offered later as a retro fit but I liked the look of the raw covers so have never fitted them.fullsizeoutput_2318.jpeg

PanigalePilot

Staff member
After buying my bike in May 2012 here is a pic of my son and I going for our first ride together. I did not have much gear. I purchased some riding gear at a sale the Ducati dealer in Sydney had. Each helmet was only $50AUD but met all standards. I got some gloves for me. Some gloves, jacket and Ducati boots for my son. He also had a back protector. We only went for a short ride. I worked out pretty quickly it is not the bike for pillions. He is too big now to get on it but when he was smaller we went for a few short spins.

I got much better gear shortly after.IMG_1493.JPG

My new DP helmet. I still have it.IMG_1585.JPG

One of the first mods I did was put on the Radiator guards. Here is the before and after. I chose a gold colour. They are WASP who makes them in Perth Australia. I do not know of anyone else that has these.
BeforeIMG_1572.JPG

After. NB you can already see a little damage from riding without the guards.IMG_1580.JPG

As part of my journey of ownership, I initially kept my bike in the car garage. We have another shed I call the workshop which is mainly storage. Anyway all the photos so far have been in the main car garage and around this time I decided to move the bike to where I could have more room. You can see in this next photo I am using a plastic table as a work bench behind the bike.

Roll onto November 2012 and I have made room in the workshop for my new toy. You can see to the right of the bike there is an old record playing cabinet that must be 50 years old. It was converted to a sewing cabinet. Years before my Mum found it on the side of the road being thrown out. She then used it for years as a sewing cabinet. I got it much later after she moved house and I still use it for storage of tools. When this photo was taken, I was using a thick piece of cardboard to make the top greater in size. It was my workbench.

If you have a look at the footpegs on the bike you will see they are new. They are LSL. The OEM were terrible, way too slippery. I have since changed them to Gilles from Germany. They have even more grip than the LSL.

Not sure if you spotted my new ducati flags. (how can you miss them) LOL. One of my first attempts to improve the look of the workshop and make a nice home for my Panigale.

Mods so far at this point.

DP tail tidy.
DP CF Clutch cover and Generator cover
New LSL footpads and
WASP Radiator guards.

IMG_1681.JPG

Until next time stay safe Gents.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
After buying my bike in May 2012 here is a pic of my son and I going for our first ride together. I did not have much gear. I purchased some riding gear at a sale the Ducati dealer in Sydney had. Each helmet was only $50AUD but met all standards. I got some gloves for me. Some gloves, jacket and Ducati boots for my son. He also had a back protector. We only went for a short ride. I worked out pretty quickly it is not the bike for pillions. He is too big now to get on it but when he was smaller we went for a few short spins.

I got much better gear shortly after.View attachment 1431

My new DP helmet. I still have it.View attachment 1432

One of the first mods I did was put on the Radiator guards. Here is the before and after. I chose a gold colour. They are WASP who makes them in Perth Australia. I do not know of anyone else that has these.
BeforeView attachment 1433

After. NB you can already see a little damage from riding without the guards.View attachment 1434

As part of my journey of ownership, I initially kept my bike in the car garage. We have another shed I call the workshop which is mainly storage. Anyway all the photos so far have been in the main car garage and around this time I decided to move the bike to where I could have more room. You can see in this next photo I am using a plastic table as a work bench behind the bike.

Roll onto November 2012 and I have made room in the workshop for my new toy. You can see to the right of the bike there is an old record playing cabinet that must be 50 years old. It was converted to a sewing cabinet. Years before my Mum found it on the side of the road being thrown out. She then used it for years as a sewing cabinet. I got it much later after she moved house and I still use it for storage of tools. When this photo was taken, I was using a thick piece of cardboard to make the top greater in size. It was my workbench.

If you have a look at the footpegs on the bike you will see they are new. They are LSL. The OEM were terrible, way too slippery. I have since changed them to Gilles from Germany. They have even more grip than the LSL.

Not sure if you spotted my new ducati flags. (how can you miss them) LOL. One of my first attempts to improve the look of the workshop and make a nice home for my Panigale.

Mods so far at this point.

DP tail tidy.
DP CF Clutch cover and Generator cover
New LSL footpads and
WASP Radiator guards.

View attachment 1435

Until next time stay safe Gents.

Wow PanigalePilot,
This is like opening a "Time Capsule" filled with sweet memories and real life pictures.
I sure can relate, inspired and also can't wait to hear more about your journey.
That picture there with your son riding at the back of your Ducati, at least for me personally, really is the best picture posted so far in this forum.
I don't care that your Ducati was still stock at that time the picture was taken, but it is personally meaningful 👨‍👦
Thanks

note: I will make your picture riding the bike with your son as "BIKE of the MONTH" this December, just in time for Holiday Season 🌏🎄

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Wow PanigalePilot,
This is like opening a "Time Capsule" filled with sweet memories and real life pictures.
I sure can relate, inspired and also can't wait to hear more about your journey.
That picture there with your son riding at the back of your Ducati, at least for me personally, really is the best picture posted so far in this forum.
I don't care that your Ducati was still stock at that time the picture was taken, but it is personally meaningful 👨‍👦
Thanks

note: I will make your picture riding the bike with your son as "BIKE of the MONTH" this December, just in time for Holiday Season 🌏🎄
BMW Alpina, thanks for the kind words. Bit historical. I guess it gives owners of the V4 and 1299 some context of where these bikes came from. The Panigale was so ahead of it's time. I have lots of mods to go that I have already done and will list them here. Perhaps 1199 owners will chime in. I must admit I am excited about all the parts I still have to fit and how it is all going to look.

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Back in time once more.

Here is a pic of my first outing to a bike show. The Panigale was still new. Mine is the first bike and you will see another 1199S which is bike number 4 moving away from the camera. Next to that is an 1199 Tricolour. The Tricolour came with Termis and some extra carbon and also the DDA fitted under the screen. My bike was 36K AUD on the road then. I am glad I preferred the red paint as the Tri was 44K AUD on the road. The 1199R only came in 2013.IMG_1646.JPG

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Back in time once more.

Here is a pic of my first outing to a bike show. The Panigale was still new. Mine is the first bike and you will see another 1199S which is bike number 4 moving away from the camera. Next to that is an 1199 Tricolour. The Tricolour came with Termis and some extra carbon and also the DDA fitted under the screen. My bike was 36K AUD on the road then. I am glad I preferred the red paint as the Tri was 44K AUD on the road. The 1199R only came in 2013.View attachment 1493
What I noticed from this picture is, there haven't been much progress for the past 8 years in brake and wheel design. That brake rotor on your bike have the same design as the current factory Panigale V4 stock rotors, the same with the wheel shape...
even the design of the Ohlins Fork lower brake mount is the same. In fact, I like the shape of the tail in your bike better than the current Panigale V4 tail. I also like the shape of your 1199S fuel tank better 👍

Andy7

Staff member
@BMW Alpina i think that has a bit to do with being owned by VW. I expect the panigale line of superbikes will continue as long as they own the brand. I noticed they are trying to offload some of their more exotic companies (Bugatti/Lamb/Ducati) and if this happens perhaps the series will see another overhaul.?

BMW Alpina

Staff member
@BMW Alpina i think that has a bit to do with being owned by VW. I expect the panigale line of superbikes will continue as long as they own the brand. I noticed they are trying to offload some of their more exotic companies (Bugatti/Lamb/Ducati) and if this happens perhaps the series will see another overhaul.?
I agree Andy7 and unless Ducati start developing their electric bike (no matter who owned them), they might be behind too much and extinct...😕

DucatiKev

FOUNDING Member
The 1199S, with those incredible OEM LED headlights, captivated me just after graduating high school in 2011 and from that point I knew I would become a DucatiGuy.
Sure it might be a blast from the past but damn does time go by way too fast. I have a beautiful 1299S now and can see much of my 1299 in the 2020+ StreetFighter, there’s just something about it.

@PanigalePilot, do you still have this bike? How many miles now? Has it broken down during every ride like your [slow Harley] friend said it would?

I vote yes for bike of the month!

PanigalePilot

Staff member
The 1199S, with those incredible OEM LED headlights, captivated me just after graduating high school in 2011 and from that point I knew I would become a DucatiGuy.
Sure it might be a blast from the past but damn does time go by way too fast. I have a beautiful 1299S now and can see much of my 1299 in the 2020+ StreetFighter, there’s just something about it.

@PanigalePilot, do you still have this bike? How many miles now? Has it broken down during every ride like your [slow Harley] friend said it would?

I vote yes for bike of the month!
Yes Kev I still have it and will never sell it. Never broken down once. My buddy was just giving me so old fashioned ribbing. We went for a ride together only about 2 weeks ago. My 1199S is up on the bike lift waiting for me to get back to putting a host of bits on. I have two jobs and finding time to ride and work on bike is sometimes hard. I have bits from 2 years ago that I still have not fitting but it is getting close. My next post will be about fitting the Gilles raised clip ons and my Lumimoto seat with gel insert. Gilles project was a nightmare.

DucatiKev

FOUNDING Member
You’re going to love that Lumimoto seat upgrade. I’m glad to hear it’s been very dependable for you. How many miles are on your 1199S now?

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Yes have had that seat for a long time
It went on the bike back in early 2013
Remember all my posts are catching up so be a while before I get to current state
I thought it may be good to cover all the mods over time
The Gilles clips on was a lot of work
I have done the 520 conversion and lots of other stuff
Lot more to come

PanigalePilot

Staff member
Time to go back in time again. A little bit of Superleggera.

This one is a bit out of sync as far as time goes but a little interesting for those that like the 1199 Superleggera. As part of my ongoing challenge to reduce weight I started to think about Carbon Fibre fairings. So in April 2017 I purchased some genuine OEM 1199 Superlegera side fairings. My intention was to have them repainted in the original red for my bike rather than change to the orange colour of the SL. When I got these fairings from the USA, I was pleasantly surprised at the condition. In the for sale ad they were described as like new and they were. They even came in the original Ducati OEM part boxes. No matter how carefully I looked I could see no evidence of the fairings ever having been fitted. No tools marks etc. Anyway I ended up doing a test fit on my bike. Some people had suggested that the SL fairings would not fit properly on the 1199S as there was a clearance issue with the brake lever and gear lever. I did not find this however and they fitted perfectly.

I ended up taking a photo with the fairings on the bike. The fairing is only one piece for each side rather than an upper and lower as per the OEM plastic. The replacement price for these fairings was roughly $6987 AUD for each side. Yes you read that right. Almost $7000 Australian dollars per side. They are a work of art. In fact they were so nice I decided not to have them stripped and repainted. it would have been such a waste. I still have them. The manufacturer (which name I cannot recall, but clearly labelled on the back with the Ducati part number) has made an excellent high quality job. Fitment is perfect as you would expect. They are a thicker CF layup and more rigid, than say the Fullsix ones I have purchased and had painted and still waiting to fit.

For the 1199 Superleggera fans.

SL fairings.jpg