Welcome and a little teaser

alexc

Somehow never found this forum before, but this is my bread and butter, except when I run into wiring issues

a little teaser of my current project:49B6D8E3-AB79-4697-9E6D-F7C7344F1607.jpeg

‘12 streetfighter 848 ($1400 purchase price, so gave myself some room for experimenting) converted to 1040, with a dry clutch I threw together for under $700.

short list of the other mods, I’ll try to get pics up later:

panigale v4 oil cooler with an8 lines
Chopped termis with exhaust flapper removed
Stepper motor and mount removed
Forged wheels from a hm1100
Single front rotor setup using a 330 mm fully floating rotor, brembo m4 caliper, and a 13mm radial master cylinder
Carbon front fender
Carbon handlebars
Lightweight axle
996 rear rotor and caliper carrier
Lightweight rear caliper(bonamicci? Sp*)
Ohlins ttx with linear link
Aluminum 848 subframe when black tank is on, custom 848/999 aluminum subframe when I throw on the white tank
Monster 821 carbon belt covers
1098 radiator
Microtec ecu
every unsprung bolt is now titanium or aluminum
520 final drive with the lightest setup I could find
Superfluous wiring removed
Carbon rear hugger chopped down to protect the shock

there’s some other things I’m forgetting, but I’ll try to update as I go

the goal is to get the bike as light as possible, hopefully 325 lbs wet before I cave and buy carbon wheels and lighter rotors.

Anyways, excited to start posting!

bonus: low effort homemade carbon fiber headlight cover. It was still curing, so I shaped it to the headlight with rubber bands:

70F32F29-28EB-40A2-8D3F-6CDC4A845CEF.jpeg

87BFBA24-227B-4DD8-9DFB-8DADD9E76712.jpeg

The white spots are dried wax that was removed before clear coating and sanding.

Probably only a track piece, but it looks cool.

have a good weekend guys!

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Alexc! There are only 4 or 5 bikes that I would come off my hyper for and the SF is one of them . Very nice. I love the dry clutch conversion. I also did a dry clutch conversion machining my own parts and what not. Very sexy Streetfighter. I am is a hobby carbon fiber fabricator.

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
That is something else. Very resourceful finding & fitting components from a number of different models. What’s your verdict on carbon handlebars?

alexc

Welcome Alexc! There are only 4 or 5 bikes that I would come off my hyper for and the SF is one of them . Very nice. I love the dry clutch conversion. I also did a dry clutch conversion machining my own parts and what not. Very sexy Streetfighter. I am is a hobby carbon fiber fabricator.
Ok by self engineered I should’ve said engineered with a lot of help from you 👌🏼

just starting with carbon fiber I made a one piece unit for the tail so I don’t have to use a subframe, just gotta figure out how to mount it.

alexc

That is something else. Very resourceful finding & fitting components from a number of different models. What’s your verdict on carbon handlebars?
Including dropping my bar end weights, it cut over two lbs. haven’t ridden with them yet because my understanding of canbus communication is rudimentary and I just cut out a bunch of wires, like 5 lbs worth, so I have to trace some faults or finish up a custom harness. I hate wiring 😣

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Wow Alex,
I for sure will always follow every single one of your post, because I am sure I can learn a lot from you. Turn out there are so many great and passionate fabricator of Ducati out there and the creativity level is also insane (y):love:

A few weeks ago, I was thinking on how to replace the regular sump 998s FE (US Version) into the deep sump, and also put the lightened crank, rod and more aggressive cam, so it become like the 998s FE for ROW (rest of world) version (which is basically the 996R engine).
I have a feeling you had done similar things in the past ;)

alexc

Wow Alex,
I for sure will always follow every single one of your post, because I am sure I can learn a lot from you. Turn out there are so many great and passionate fabricator of Ducati out there and the creativity level is also insane (y):love:

A few weeks ago, I was thinking on how to replace the regular sump 998s FE (US Version) into the deep sump, and also put the lightened crank, rod and more aggressive cam, so it become like the 998s FE for ROW (rest of world) version (which is basically the 996R engine).
I have a feeling you had done similar things in the past ;)
My problem is all the cross members in the older frames, cause all sorts of issues with airbox and throttle body fitment, whereas the 1198 frames have nothing in the way.

when I put the 999 into the 996 frame, I’ll probably cut out the cross members, weld in a tank mount from a 1098r bayliss, use an 848 tank, and use a xx98 or streetfighter swingarm.

im still learning, all self taught, so usually it’s one step forward then ten steps back, but hopefully I’ll turn over 6-8 pieces of are over the next year.

thanks for the interest and kind words

here she is when she was 99% ready for the road, but then the wiring issues caused me to strip everything.

I really like the 999 tail on this bike, but couldn’t fit all the electronics in the subframe, so they’re going where the sbks have their electronics

6AB56443-5495-4602-A6DC-4260ECB6D3DF.jpeg
Here she is in black with the slowly developing monocoque subframe:
BE07206C-11B2-405F-B264-344AD00539D9.jpeg
Pic of the bottom of the tail: it’s extremely reinforced at all mounting points, weighs about 4pounds, and when I ditch the subframe, that’ll be another two lbs dropped😍E7629890-56E2-44A6-B21B-F20AC6A56569.jpeg

home made exhaust shield:

C31AB297-A75D-4AFC-B53E-ED6D551798C6.jpeg

Notice the reservoir delete,saves like 16 grams 🔥🔥🔥

alexc

Battery size comparison, will probably go with the 8 cell for the street, the 4 call for the track and the shorai for my next builds
72C1BB77-4517-46BC-93A3-CFFC9F0AE8B6.jpeg

Preliminary mounting. As a rule, I don’t use zip ties and I suck at making mounts, so it’s a slow process. Got the reg, starter solenoid, and battery tucked in there. The ecu will share a mount above the regulator and the fuse box/relays will tuck somewhere in there
5E7DAF12-F6FA-4FDC-AA5B-AF2F2A1F8D00.jpeg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
My problem is all the cross members in the older frames, cause all sorts of issues with airbox and throttle body fitment, whereas the 1198 frames have nothing in the way.

when I put the 999 into the 996 frame, I’ll probably cut out the cross members, weld in a tank mount from a 1098r bayliss, use an 848 tank, and use a xx98 or streetfighter swingarm.

im still learning, all self taught, so usually it’s one step forward then ten steps back, but hopefully I’ll turn over 6-8 pieces of are over the next year.

thanks for the interest and kind words

here she is when she was 99% ready for the road, but then the wiring issues caused me to strip everything.

I really like the 999 tail on this bike, but couldn’t fit all the electronics in the subframe, so they’re going where the sbks have their electronics

View attachment 5045
Here she is in black with the slowly developing monocoque subframe:
View attachment 5046
Pic of the bottom of the tail: it’s extremely reinforced at all mounting points, weighs about 4pounds, and when I ditch the subframe, that’ll be another two lbs dropped😍View attachment 5047

home made exhaust shield:

View attachment 5048

Notice the reservoir delete,saves like 16 grams 🔥🔥🔥
Hi Alex and @Araitim
You guys might be able to collaborate together on projects, I understand that Araitim is not doing this full time, but it would be a great income generator while learning together.
I let you guys discuss privately by PM, I am just trying to be a "matchmaker" here 🥰

alexc

@Araitim basically did all the hard work for me when I was doing my dry clutch, but we’ll definitely talk. Maybe I’ll do the carbon fiber and welding while he can do all the custom machining i need 😍

and yes, light is beautiful 🥰

I’ll post more updates soon, but been busy building the 1098 from the ground up:

67D3C6E6-23D1-41B3-9B3F-1B19FD52BE96.jpeg
B39311E9-393E-447B-93EE-10DCC6298F5A.jpeg