My 1299 project

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Can I get your guys opinion on this, sorry my writing is pretty bad in the pictures haha. On my thumb brake, the fluid is in a reservoir connected to my left clip on, taking up space. This is how the diagram says to set it up with the thumb brake. But does the fluid have to be there? I can’t think of a reason it HAS to be at that point. I was thinking of getting a new master cylinder with the reservoir integrated into it. So I made some diagrams to make it more clear (hopefully)

Current set up...
View attachment 4104
possible set up..

View attachment 4105
Hi, Lucati,

If you don't want a permanent reservoir at your thumb brake, perhaps use a rubber hose as a small reservoir. You will need a real reservoir connected to this rubber hose when you fill the fluid and bleed the thumb MC, and later after you bleed it, take out the reservoir and just plug this rubber hose. This small rubber hose will act as mini reservoir for your thumb brake.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I’d like to figure this out before I order the MC, I could swap my masters around and just see if it works.

the suter, I think you got that one if I remember correctly. How do you like it?
I study about thumb brake configuration about half a year ago, I will need to refresh my memory but basically there are serial and parallel way to connect your MC and Caliper, and your schematic diagram above are all Serial, which mean you can only use either the thumb or foot MC at one time but not both at the same time.
There is an article about this issue:
Valentino Rossi like Doohan: Brembo's thumb brake master cylinder is needed post-injury

I am about to enter an online work meeting, so I will get back to you later :)

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
This is interesting I'm definitely curious. :unsure:
I’d like to figure this out before I order the MC, I could swap my masters around and just see if it works.

the suter, I think you got that one if I remember correctly. How do you like it?
Its excellent made by brembo it one of those things. It just works.
If you get a brake line from thumb brake to the master and use a dual banjo It should work.
The only I would be un sure about is the amount of pressure it would apply.

Lucati

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Lucati,

If you don't want a permanent reservoir at your thumb brake, perhaps use a rubber hose as a small reservoir. You will need a real reservoir connected to this rubber hose when you fill the fluid and bleed the thumb MC, and later after you bleed it, take out the reservoir and just plug this rubber hose. This small rubber hose will act as mini reservoir for your thumb brake.
that was actually 1 idea that crossed my mind! Great minds think alike they say! Haha

Also you’re right, if i push the thumb brake then the foot brake, my thumb will come back because the pressure from my foot is stronger, so I can’t use them both( in the sense of double pressure)
I’ll give that a read. Thanks for your input!

Lucati

Staff member
Its excellent made by brembo it one of those things. It just works.
If you get a brake line from thumb brake to the master and use a dual banjo It should work.
The only I would be un sure about is the amount of pressure it would apply.
yea that makes sense too. I’ll order the suter, I have spare parts to try these configurations out so I’ll just try it. Have to change the rear caliper so I’ll have to bleed the system anyway.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Btw, seen those thyssenkrup (spelling?) carbon wheels? They’re pretty sick

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
yea that makes sense too. I’ll order the suter, I have spare parts to try these configurations out so I’ll just try it. Have to change the rear caliper so I’ll have to bleed the system anyway.
Sounds good. Yes I have seen them I just polished and ceramic coated a set. They are pretty cool very different in their construction.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
that was actually 1 idea that crossed my mind! Great minds think alike they say! Haha

Also you’re right, if i push the thumb brake then the foot brake, my thumb will come back because the pressure from my foot is stronger, so I can’t use them both( in the sense of double pressure)
I’ll give that a read. Thanks for your input!

Hi Lucati,
I just spent a few minutes refreshing myself about thumb brake,
so this is another good article:
Ducati's cornering tool: press to turn - Motor Sport Magazine

If you want to keep it serial and you also want to keep the ABS, then to make it look nicer and also shorter brake line from the thumb master cylinder, perhaps consider using the DUAL Banjo as HKMP7 suggested above on the ABS (Inlet terminal for rear brake).
Since I believe your ABS is closer to the thumb brake then the rear MC, plus it is hidden, so you won't see double brake line with double banjo going to the rear MC (and less clutter around that rear set area).

If you want to be full parallel and able to use both thumb and foot MC at the same time, than please consider this dual inlet racing Brembo Billet Caliper, where it basically 2 separate rear caliper in 1 housing. However, you will need to make a custom rear caliper bracket to accomodate the larger mounting bolt distance.
Brembo Racing Axial Billet 2-Piece 30/34 Dual Inlet Rear Brake Caliper - XA0J920 - OPPRACING Products

1621304092822.png

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Sounds good. Yes I have seen them I just polished and ceramic coated a set. They are pretty cool very different in their construction.

If you are interested in those thyssenkrupp wheel, perhaps @Tsaico can help since his new company
61°DTC
who is also our forum official vendor is distributing those thyssenkrupp wheel

Lucati

Staff member
I found a more complete article direct from Brembo along with YouTube Video that show the Serial and Parallel configuration of Dovi's MotoGP brake system:
What is Dovizioso's secret to success? It could be a certain Brembo master cylinder

and YouTube video link:
awesome! thanks for all that, going to give that a read,I think I’ll go that dual banjo at that abs route.
at some point in time I may get my grips on those carbon wheels, I’ll message tsaico when I’m ready!

This Just came in, now I just need to order the suter...

E83BC1D0-52A6-4AA3-A185-7B5146DD144C.jpeg

Lucati

Staff member
Hi Lucati,
I don't know what model it is, (and please kindly help by posting the model/part#) but I do know it is EXPENSIVE and GORGEOUS :love:
not to mention, it require "special handling" with the blue medical grade gloves ;)
haha the blue medical gloves! Good call 😂

it is the brembo billet 19x20, I had a good amount of points saved up with bellissi and got it for nearly half price!

BMW Alpina

Staff member
haha the blue medical gloves! Good call 😂

it is the brembo billet 19x20, I had a good amount of points saved up with bellissi and got it for nearly half price!
Hi Lucati,
I never really do research on the meaning of those part# for the Brembo billet line because I was interested in the RCS Corsa Corta line for my application since the beginning (you know cost saving here and there but ssshhhh don't tell anyone😅)
Can you please help me clarify the meaning of 19 x 20, is the first 2 digits (19) means the diameter of the MC, meaning it is equivalent to the RCS19 model?
and what is the meaning of the second 2 digits?
Thanks

Lucati

Staff member
Hi Lucati,
I never really do research on the meaning of those part# for the Brembo billet line because I was interested in the RCS Corsa Corta line for my application since the beginning (you know cost saving here and there but ssshhhh don't tell anyone😅)
Can you please help me clarify the meaning of 19 x 20, is the first 2 digits (19) means the diameter of the MC, meaning it is equivalent to the RCS19 model?
and what is the meaning of the second 2 digits?
Thanks
yes of course. So the rcs17 (then there’s rcs19, rcs16, etc), the 17 is the bore size in mm. The higher this number, the higher the braking power which increases the volume of brake fluid. The second number( usually 16, 18 or 20) is the distance between the pivot point And the plunger that pushes into the cylinder. As the value increases, sensitivity decreases and brake power increases. It all comes down to feel and lever travel. I tend to like less travel and on the sensitive side.

(please anyone correct me if I am wrong)

Lucati

Staff member
I would have liked the 19x18 over the 19x20 but the 19x18 was out of stock and apparently back ordered again. Beggars can’t be choosers at this point haha.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I would have liked the 19x18 over the 19x20 but the 19x18 was out of stock and apparently back ordered again. Beggars can’t be choosers at this point haha.
Thanks so much Lucati, at first I was confused when you say you like less travel and on the sensitive side but you choose 19 x 20 for your MC, but now I understand that you actually prefer 19 x 18. 🤓
Between the information in your post and @Jrkk posts, I learn a lot today, Thanks again Lucati :D