Lithium Batteries..

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
I am currently looking to replace my Antigravity lithium battery with a physically smaller battery. Nothing wrong with the AG battery I just need to free up some space for QS or RB module. I have narrowed it down to Ultrabatt and Speedcell but I'm looking for your experience.

Here are the batteries I researched..mind you, this is not for the Superbike's but the brands and specs can cross over since many of Ducatis use the same/similar battery.

OEM yt12b
AGM - 5.9X2.7X5.12 170CCA 10Ah 8.1lb

Ballistic 8cell
Lithium ION- 4.5X2.5X4.25 225CCa. .979lb

Aliant ylp12
LiFePO4 - 4.48X2.7X3.8 220CCA. 12Ah

Shoria lfx14a
LiFePO4 5.8X3.4X3.3 210CCA. 14Ah. 2lb

Ultrabatt ub-12400mmt
LiFePO4. 5.6X1.5X4.6 300CCA. 5Ah

Speedcell 5Ah
LiFePO4. 4.5X2.3X3.1 240CCA 5Ah. 2.2lb

Antigravity At12-bs
Lithium ION. 5.9X2.75X5.12 360CCA. 12Ah. 2.3lb

earthX etx18b
LiFePO4. 5.3X2.6X4.1 230CCA 6.2Ah. 2.2lb

Bikemaster bmp14b-fp
LiFePO4. 5.2X2.5X2.5 250CCA

NOCO.
NLP5 4.5X2.8X3.4 250 "start current" 2Ah 1.5lb
NLP9. 5.87X3.4X3.6 400 3Ah 2.29lb
NLP14 500 4Ah 2.58lb

BC bct12b-fp
LiFePO4. 5.9X2.56X5.1 5Ah 2.4lb

I'm drawn to the Unibatt because it's case should provide a very nice slot for the tuner or QS module to sit next to it.

I'm drawn to the Speedcell because of the size(although not as easy to work around compared to the Unibatt) and the fact that it has a high current quick disconnect mounted right to it, you can get the other side of the high current connector and replace smaller/inferior OEM battery wires as well as a nice high current start solenoid (although you can get that on its own and use it with any batt). As you many Ducatis suffer from the slow crank speeds and this might help with that.
I mentioned the chemical make up because
(Google search)
"Is LiFePO4 better than lithium ion? The LiFePO4 battery has the edge over lithium ion, both in terms of cycle life (it lasts 4-5x longer), and safety. This is a key advantage because lithium ion batteries can overheat and even catch fire, while LiFePO4 does not."

If nothing else this will provide a list for future members/guests to see brands they might have never heard of.

If you know of more and/or have had negative or positive with any I would like to hear about it.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Of those I've used the Speedcell Shorai and Skyrich. All of these have positives and negatives because they are batteries :ROFLMAO:.
But in all seriousness I only had a issue with the Shorai. I had to get it replaced under warranty. I think it comes down to packaging.

craig bush

@Araitim did you research Full Spectrum? Iirc, they were one of the first to market with an emergency backup function - if low, the battery would go into “reserve” mode where it retained enough charge for one start and required you to push a button to engage it for the final start.

JHTmcrider

I had a Shorai in my 1199S and liked the battery but I guess it wasn't the lightest either. However, it did come with a bunch of foam pieces that allowed it to be tailored to a variety of battery boxes which I thought was a nice touch.

MaverickiB

@Araitim did you research Full Spectrum? Iirc, they were one of the first to market with an emergency backup function - if low, the battery would go into “reserve” mode where it retained enough charge for one start and required you to push a button to engage it for the final start.
I use an EarthX battery in my V4, it is damn near half the size of the OEM battery and has a built-in BMS that attempts to disable the battery before it reaches the point of total death. Really good option for track bikes or bikes that will sit for a long time.

craig bush

I use an EarthX battery in my V4, it is damn near half the size of the OEM battery and has a built-in BMS that attempts to disable the battery before it reaches the point of total death. Really good option for track bikes or bikes that will sit for a long time.
Agreed. I think several manufacturers have released Li batteries with a BMS now - pretty sure the AG in my bike has one.

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
I have had the shorai in the 1199 for a long time and it has been fine. Be 4 or 5 years now. Had a Shorai in a Husabery 450 and it was fine too. I had a SSB Powersport in my K1300S and it went bad and expanded in under 2 years. Maybe I over charged it or something. I use trickle chargers a lot as I sometimes ride infrequently so they get charged up the night before.

Araitim

Staff member
After taking everything into consideration I went with the Ultrabatt and it arrived yesterday. The size is exactly what I was needing. It's is about half as thick as the Antigravity it is replacing while still maintaining a super fancy BMC(according the Ultrabatt). The RB tuner slides right next to the battery inside the battery box while also having enough room to add isolation material between the 2. If all their claims are true then I should notice no difference between the Antigravity and the Ultrabatt. We shall see. 20220316_160007.jpg 20220316_160053_resize_39.jpg20220316_160131_resize_60.jpg20220316_160138_resize_74.jpg20220316_181428_resize_81.jpg20220316_181451.jpg20220316_194641_resize_43.jpg20220316_194648.jpg

ferociious

After taking everything into consideration I went with the Ultrabatt and it arrived yesterday. The size is exactly what I was needing. It's is about half as thick as the Antigravity it is replacing while still maintaining a super fancy BMC(according the Ultrabatt). The RB tuner slides right next to the battery inside the battery box while also having enough room to add isolation material between the 2. If all their claims are true then I should notice no difference between the Antigravity and the Ultrabatt. We shall see. View attachment 8003

Do you have a link for purchase? USA based. Need a nice lifepo batt for my Ducati v4

Araitim

Staff member
Do you have a link for purchase? USA based. Need a nice lifepo batt for my Ducati v4
I emailed them directly before purchase and they don't have a USA based supplier so for us to purchase them we have to go directly through them. It wasn't bad though, I took less than a week for the battery to arrive (I'm in Michigan).

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hello Araitim,

May I know what do you think so far after using Ultrabatt ub-12400mmt for the past few months? Is the starting motor turn as fast as your previous Antigravity At12-bs?
I notice the spec:
Ultrabatt LiFePO4. 5.6X1.5X4.6 300CCA. 5Ah vs. AntiGravity Lithium ION. 5.9X2.75X5.12 360CCA. 12Ah. 2.3lb
And although the CCA is only around 20% less the Ah is more than 50% less... please kindly provide your input based on your experience so far.

I am currently doing research for the right battery for my 998s with 999S HC piston... I believe it will be harder to start due to the HC piston...
I already ordered Panigale V4S Voltage Regulator/Rectifier with Triumph adapter cable so it will fit the 998 charging system... Also will order brand new 998 generator just to be sure....
only thing undecided is which Lithium Ion Battery...

I also consider:
Skyrich since that is what used in the Panigale V4S plus they have the exact shape as the YT12B-BS Yuasa: https://www.skyrichbattery.com/product_info.php?products_id=575
so the stock bracket should fit like it fit the Yuasa. However the CCA is very small only 260 CCA

Also what do you think about Unibatt ULT2? ULT 2 - Unibat.it
ULT 2
Cranking power A/EN: 300 Ampere
Capacity AH (20hr): 5
Volt: 12
Weight: 0.80 kg
Size (millimeter): 150 x 65 x 93

Jrkk

I have Unibatt ult2.
Seems decent, but my test period is short. One of my fried had it on his V4 base and he didn't have any problems while he had the bike.

Feels that it cranks better than oem lead acid battery.

Araitim

Staff member
Im happy with the with the Ultrabatt. It turns the bike over just the same and it has protection circuit inside. I accidentally left the key on over night and the bike would not start. Turned the key off then back on and I was good to go.
To be completely honest I think the antigravity is the better battery. Something about it just feels more substantial plus the battery lugs on the Ultrabatt are a bit of an erector set. If I were doing a full size lithium battery I'd definitely get the antigravity again. If I was needing the spare room i would be checking out the speedcell with a high current starter solenoid. I feel that that combo can be made to look very clean and durable. I definitely think you need to find a modern high current solenoid for the 999 motor. If you go to speedcell website and check out the one they have, others sell it too so you can find the best price.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Im happy with the with the Ultrabatt. It turns the bike over just the same and it has protection circuit inside. I accidentally left the key on over night and the bike would not start. Turned the key off then back on and I was good to go.
To be completely honest I think the antigravity is the better battery. Something about it just feels more substantial plus the battery lugs on the Ultrabatt are a bit of an erector set. If I were doing a full size lithium battery I'd definitely get the antigravity again. If I was needing the spare room i would be checking out the speedcell with a high current starter solenoid. I feel that that combo can be made to look very clean and durable. I definitely think you need to find a modern high current solenoid for the 999 motor. If you go to speedcell website and check out the one they have, others sell it too so you can find the best price.
Thanks so much for the information Araitim, I will also look into high current solenoid.
Also what is the difference between the modern high current solenoid compare to the stock 999S engine solenoid? Thanks