Discussion about Ohlins Fork, Rear Shock and Steering Damper upgrade for Panigale V4

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
This past few months I had been researching on Ohlins Forks, Rear Shocks and Steering Damper upgrade for various model of Ducati Panigale V4 and this is what I found so far.

Base Panigale V4:
The base Panigale V4 came standard with Ø 43 mm Showa BPF Front Forks and the most economical upgrade Ohlins Fork upgrade is FGRT 214 (part of FGRT200 Family) Hypersport R&T 43 Fork for 2019 Ducati Panigale V4 - length: 29 inches (740 mm), list price $2,500
Hypersport R&T 43 Fork (FGRT 214) | Öhlins USA

The base Panigale V4 came standard with Sachs mono-shock and the only bolt on Ohlins rear shock upgrade available is the DU 468 Hypersport TTX GP Shock (T36PR1C1LS), list price $1,400
Hypersport TTX GP Shock (DU 468) | Öhlins USA

The base Panigale V4 came standard with Sachs steering damper and the only bolt on Ohlins steering damper upgrade available is SD 040 Hypersport Steering Damper, list price $425
Hypersport Steering Damper (SD 040) | Öhlins USA

The Panigale V4S, V4SCorse, V4Speciale and V4 25° Anniversario 916 all have the same Electronically Control (EC) Ohlins Suspension and Steering Damper, so I am going to class them as V4S.
While the Panigale V4R came with NON Electronically Control (EC) Ohlins Suspension and Steering Damper.
However both V4S and V4R have the same upgrade path, and this higher end upgrade can also be applied to the base V4.

The most economical Front Fork upgrade for both Panigale V4S and V4R would be the Ohlins FGR 250 Hypersport Superbike Fork length: 770mm - 30mm inches, list price $5,000
Note, that this fork are NON EC which means you actually lost the adjustability of the stock V4S fork but gain better on track at the limit performance.
The most interesting features is the spring pressurized cartridge system unlike in the more expensive but older FGR 300.
The dimension of the FGR250 is exactly the same as the FGR 300 which I will discuss after this.
The "WORST" feature of the Ohlins FGR 250 is the fact that Ohlins classified this as designed for racing use only and "recommended" that the fork need to be "service & maintain" after ONLY 20 hours of use !!!
Cosmetically, it looks very close to the stock V4S Ohlins fork. The main cosmetic differences is the fork bottom of the FGR 250 were billet/cnc while the stock V4S Ohlins fork bottom is cast.

The next step in Front Fork upgrade for both Panigale V4S and V4R would be the Ohlins FGR 300 Hypersport Superbike Fork length: 750mm - 30mm inches, list price $10,000
(make sure you buy the FGR300 and not the same spec but longer length FGR301 which have 770mm in length, I mean you can fit it, but it's just a bit too long)
Note, that this fork are NON EC which means you actually lost the adjustability of the stock V4S fork but gain better on track at the limit performance.
However this FGR 300 had been around since 2015 (or 2016) and it is still based on the TTX25 front fork cartridge kit which means it doesn't have the spring pressurized cartridge system like the lower price but newer FGR 250 above.
Just like the FGR 250, the "WORST" feature of the Ohlins FGR 300 is the fact that Ohlins classified this as designed for racing use only and "recommended" that the fork need to be "service & maintain" after ONLY 20 hours of use !!!
However, unlike the FGR 250, the FGR 300 look the part due to the extra reservoir tube and adjustment screw at the bottom of the fork. I mean it is just GORGEOUS that it almost worth it to deal with the 20 hours service interval !!!
I also notice the list price of the FGR 300 had recently been lowered from $11,875 to just $10,000 recently. This must be due to drop in sales since this fork had been around from 2015 and most likely replacement is due soon.

Now before you rush and place an order for the FGR 250 or FGR 300, please note that you will need a new upper triple clamp, new handle bar and new lower clamp (for the Panigale V4).
The lower clamp for the Panigale V4S and V4R can be reuse because the fork diameter around the lower triple clamp area is the same 58mm for the FGR 250/300 just like the stock Ohlins fork of V4S and V4R.
However the upper triple clamp and handlebar diameter for the stock Ohlins from V4S and V4R were 53mm while the diameter for the FGR250/300 is actually smaller at 52mm. So you will need to purchase a new handlebar and upper triple clamp.

You also need to custom machined a different front axle since the front axle diameter of the FGR 250 and FGR 300 is also smaller than the stock Ohlins, machined front axle spacer plus you need to machined custom bracket for ABS sensor and your front fender.
Not too hard to do if you are willing to do careful measurement, make a napkin drawing and pay extra for your CNC machine shop to transfer it into their CAD drawing. (or in my case, I can ask my younger son to create the CAD drawing for me 😁)

Oh, don't forget you need a different brake caliper with 108mm bolt spacing, brake caliper spacer (and bolts), plus most likely spacer and longer bolts for the brake rotor. Your stock Brembo Stylema caliper use 100mm bolt spacing.

Again, WHENEVER THERE IS A WILL, THERE WILL BE A WAY.

The upgrade path for the rear Ohlins shock absorber for both V4S and V4R is the same as the Base Panigale V4 and it will be NON EC Ohlins DU 468 Hypersport TTX GP Shock (T36PR1C1LS), list price $1,400
Hypersport TTX GP Shock (DU 468) | Öhlins USA

and no need to upgrade the stock Ohlins Steering Damper on both the Panigale V4S and V4R unless you want a BLACK anodized version just for cosmetic looks.

Finally the highest upgrade that is kinda hard to get but not impossible to buy is the Ohlins Full Blown WSBK model RVP25, list price over 19,000 Euro.
It looks like an FGR250 but if you really need that last few seconds on the track then 😇

Maybe a new replacement model of the FGR 300 with spring pressurized cartridge system will be available, but I wonder if that is the case, there is no needs for that extra tube reservoir at the bottom of the fork anymore, well I guess we just have to wait :sleep:

in the meantime, please enjoy the pictures of both the FGR 250 and FGR 300.

FGR250:
FGR-250-Front-Fork_1-1140x641.jpgFGR-250-Front-Fork_2-1140x641.jpgFGR-250-Front-Fork_3-1140x641.jpgFGR-250-Front-Fork_4-1140x641.jpgFGR-250-Front-Fork_7-1140x641.jpg

FGR300:
FGR-300-front-fork_2-1140x641.jpgFGR-300-front-fork_4-1140x641.jpgFGR-300-front-fork_5-1140x641.jpgMotoCorse3.jpgMotoCorse4.jpgMotoCorse5.jpgMotoCorse6.jpg
MotoCorse 1299 1.JPGMotoCorse 1299 2.JPGMotoCorse.jpgMotoCorse2.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
It would be awesome if the new version of the FGR300 (if and when they released) have their lower brake caliper mount like the MotoGP version:
Ducati-Lenovo-MotoGP-2021-BM-17-850x1275.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi everyone,

Can you please tell me what bike is in this picture below, I think this is an R1, right?
Also, could this be the new version of Ohlins FGR300 forks? (take a look at the bottom caliper bracket please)...

I just found this picture from Ohlins latest Instagram picture: http://instagr.am/p/CLf2a39hISE/

This is GORGEOUS 😍😘🥰, even better looking than the current FGR300 🤩
New FGR.jpg

Also, the above is NOT the Ohlins forks on the MotoGP bike, the bottom caliper bracket is different...

Ducati-Lenovo-MotoGP-2021-BM-17-850x1275.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I was postponing ordering the DU468 Ohlins TTX-GP rear shocks because I was worry there will be new version with the release of 2021 Ohlins Catalog (this 2021 Catalog usually released at the EICMA Milan Show on November the previous year (in this case 2020)), however the 2021 Ohlins Catalog release was delayed due to Covid-19.
But I can't wait any longer so I order the DU468 kit yesterday, and lo and behold, the new 2021 Ohlins catalog released today (Monday morning in Europe). My heart beat skip when I saw that, and I quickly browse through the catalog. To my relief there is NO new version of the TTX-GP so everything is good.
The not so good news is, there is also NO new version of FGR300 front forks, so on this one I am committed to wait longer up to 2023 at least 🤣 since it is a much more expensive purchase, so I want to make sure I have the latest revision since the current FGR300 is already 6 or 7 years old.

Below is the screenshot of the current active Ohlins Part# for Panigale line:
List of Ohlins Part# for Panigale V4 line.JPG

And here is the link to Ohlins latest 2021 Catalog:
Road & Track Motorcycle 2021

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Good news for members looking to upgrade the front Ohlins forks of their Panigale V4 or Streetfighter V4

The long running Ohlins FGR300 had been discontinued and replacement new model should come soon. I am guessing it will be SPRING pressurized like the FGR250 or FKR Cartridge instead of the old gas pressurized system in the FGR300 🤓
Also, normally the launching of new product happened on November at EICMA show in Milan, Italy... Gosh... I missed visiting EICMA, last time I was there in 2003... got to go there again one of this year 😃
Hopefully the new Brembo GP4-SBK will also be ready by that time, it will be a MATCH MADE IN NIRVANA 🥰

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I found a company that make Titanium Springs for Ohlins shocks:
RCS MOTORSPORT

a member of this CBR1000 forum: Ohlins shock upgrade: done
Replace his Ohlins springs with Titanium version from Renton Coil Springs (RCS). He bought it from Mike @ Kyle Racing, but like @HKMP7 previously said, the way the spring rate change depend on the compression of a Titanium springs is quite unique...
so it looks like, you need to test the spring rate first to make sure you got a good one...

1623609615859.png

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Yeah they are indeed billet. From pictures you cant really tell but seeing them in person they are nice. The only cast pieces on the Superleggera is the rear shock mount, the lower triple clamp and the clipons

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I think the super main difference here compare to the FGR300 is that the FGR400 has 46mm inner (LOWER) tube diameter while the FGR300 only has 43mm inner tube diameter making the FGR400 that much more rigid.
The big question now is what is the diameter of the upper tube because this determine how easy it is to adapt to our upper and lower triple clamp.

The FGR400 is also like the newer FGR250 which use SPRING Pressurized system unlike FGR300... however that FGR300 bottom caliper bracket design is just a bit more "substantial" and look more like MotoGP then this FGR400 SBK inspired looks...
However, I think like Audi said, "Vorsprung durch Technik" so I think we need to follow progress in Technology and from this point of view the FGR400 is much superior than the FGR300 🤓

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I received early spec information for the FGR400. It will have similar dimensions to the FGR 300 and FGR 250

The Upper Triple Clamp Diameter – 52mm (our stock Panigale V4 is 1mm larger at 53mm)
The Lower Triple Clamp Diameter – 58mm (the same as our stock Panigale V4)
Brake Mounting Hole Spacing – 108mm (our stock Panigale V4 is 100mm)

The axle hole diameters are the only information I have not received yet.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I just received a CORRECTED SPEC information for the FGR400 from Ohlins USA, and this one sourced from the ENGINEERING team that design the FGR400:

The Total length of the FGR400 is 770 mm and the stroke is 130mm metal to metal and 125mm to the bump rubber.

The Upper clamping diameter is Ø54.5mm (L=134mm from the top)

The Lower clamp diameter is Ø58mm (L=151 to 330mm from the top)

The Wheel axle holes are symmetrical for both sides at Ø30 mm diameter with 22mm offset to both sides from center of the fork. (Meaning Total of 44mm width at the wheel axle clamping area)

The brake caliper Center to Center is 108mm with 113.4mm mounting radius to the wheel axle center at 23° angle and 16.25mm offset from the fork center to the inner side

What is the meaning of the above in relation to Panigale V4S stock setup?
Well, this means you will need to buy a new upper triple clamp or enlarge your current upper triple clamp fork holes to 54.5mm.
You can use your current stock lower triple clamp because it is already 58mm.
And you will need a custom wheel axle since our stock axle came with 35mm diameter on the right leg.
Last, the FGR400 will also "stick up" higher from the surface of the upper triple clamp if you want to maintain stock height since our stock Ohlins EC Fork length is 750mm.