Panigale Vision

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Most people have a dream car, boat or plane they would do just about anything to own - for me it was always a Panigale. Since the 1199 was introduced I lusted over it and with the updated 1299 model being the final iteration of Ducati L-twin excellence I knew it was the one to have.
December ‘19 I was fortunate enough to purchase a used 2017 1299S after narrowly missing out on snagging the last brand new one in the country.
I hope to use this thread to catalogue my process of (extremely) slowly customising the bike into my own perfect vision, being an artist a lot of the changes will be aesthetically motivated, at least to begin with. I say the process will be slow since I’m nowhere near rich enough to throw parts at it as my income is not what you would call high and also just spent most of my money on a second bike lol.

Andy7

Staff member
Since this will be slow process I'll just outline some of the things I intend to change on the bike. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, even if I could someone will have done it better. In fact Ducati already did with the Superleggera. And because I can't afford the only SL for sale in Australia currently I'm simply using it as inspiration.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 4.48.30 PM.png

About a month ago a unicorn part appeared on Facebook marketplace. I hesitated a little bit too long and just missed out on an incredible deal as I was deciding on purchasing a second bike as well (I bought it a week later as I was still upset I missed out on the Akra). The item is pictured below, it had some very minor cosmetic damage to the muffler which could have been fixed but undoubtedly suited anyones budget nicely as it was a bit less than half retail cost. ($8500 AUD currently)
*Insert sympathy like...*
AKRA.jpg

The next most obvious update is the BST Rapid Tek carbon wheels - these differ slightly to the SL as there is a slight kink in the spokes yet it is not a large enough difference to be too noticeable. This will probably be one of the last things I purchase as I am undecided on how to justify the cost at this stage, and I am quite attached to the forged Marchesini wheels the S model already comes with. One thought that I have to consider in my mind when the time comes, although faults are minimal with carbon wheels especially as tech improves I have heard/read about some catastrophic failures that might make me question the reliability when I am finally ready to purchase - this is not to ignore or deny the many success stories of people who have been extremely satisfied using them for +50,000km. Just something I will have to convince myself one way or another. Feedback is always appreciated too.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.34.01 PM.png

Carbon fairings, I think i'll just get all the expensive parts out of the way and rate these towards the lower end of my priorities as they will likely be the icing on the cake and one of the last things to add along with a custom paint job (perhaps something complimenting the 1299 SL and Corse liveries from the GP17 Desmo - I do like the blue highlights) more on that when the time comes. This relates only to the main body panels and tail section.
I do not plan to change the tank as there is a separate carbon cover that caught my eye I would rather use instead. I believe it would also be easier/cheaper than getting the whole tank repainted as well. And with the OEM fairings as spares I can always go back to red if I choose.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.30.07 PM.png

Blacked out rearsets, because I'm a poser. So many options here with Bonamici, CNC, Woodcraft, Ducati Performance etc.

Clear clutch cover - Ducabike or CNC offer the best quality aftermarket options - likely stick with all black and maybe red spring retainer...

Chain and sprockets - Black is always classy, undecided on 520 v 525. Durability is more important to me. Options might change if the new BMW M1000rr maintenance free chain is as efficient as it's being marketed? Time will tell.

Now the cheaper stuff that will likely find its way on the bike before the rest of the things I've listed. All the other cockpit bling inc triple clamp, steering head nut, clip ons, Rizomas wave reservoirs, levers etc.
I've intentionally left out break/suspension at this stage - I can't outride the hardware the 1299 comes with and as I mentioned before I'm just a poser. Racers prioritise power and performance, as a battler cruising country roads and eventually some track sessions I am motivated by the form and presence of these bikes.

Andy7

Staff member
Had a little delivery today, I spent a fair bit of time reading up on rearsets and while Bonamici, Woodcraft, Gilles were all popular for function and durability with hard track riding I still wanted a nice little bling factor (without paying the premium for Ducati Performace).
Cue CNC adjustable RPS Rear Sets.
It’ll be a couple weeks til I actually install them as I want to get all the mounting brackets painted (gloss black) to eliminate the silver from my bike which I find gets dirty easily and looks kinda shitty.
So In sticking with my blackout theme and being consistent with CNC I’ll order the rear shock rocker arms and rod within a few weeks as well as clutch slave cylinder to save me some trouble in future with the stock one. I also want to paint or swap the rear shocks bracket that mounts it to the engine but am yet to settle on something I am fully satisfied with. Anyway see pics. 09349677-F4CD-4699-B2B4-76E5DD6A9D33.jpeg
E01D3661-C66D-40E1-A564-87024A6ED1C8.jpegDB81B16E-C162-444C-B58E-F68F8446BA47.jpeg45C2E566-2598-4BAF-9F5D-AC2011844839.jpeg
33AA81AD-892F-4029-8600-07C37BD047AF.jpeg6C175989-9D1E-4A08-BB99-DA7080328B87.jpeg

Last edited:

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Had a little delivery today, I spent a fair bit of time reading up on rearsets and while Bonamici, Woodcraft, Gilles were all popular for function and durability with hard track riding I still wanted a nice little bling factor (without paying the premium for Ducati Performace).
Cue CNC adjustable RPS Rear Sets.
It’ll be a couple weeks til I actually install them as I want to get all the mounting brackets painted (gloss black) to eliminate the silver from my bike which I find gets dirty easily and looks kinda shitty.
So In sticking with my blackout theme and being consistent with CNC I’ll order the rear shock rocker arms and rod within a few weeks as well as clutch slave cylinder to save me some trouble in future with the stock one. I also want to paint or swap the rear shocks bracket that mounts it to the engine but am yet to settle on something I am fully satisfied with. Anyway see pics. View attachment 2679
View attachment 2680
View attachment 2681
View attachment 2682
View attachment 2683
View attachment 2684
Hi Andy7,
Very nice choice of CNC parts from @CNC_Racing :love:
I can't wait to see them on your bike (y)

Andy7

Staff member
Starting tearing everything apart today.
Probably be apart for a few weeks while I get everything painted/adjusted to fit back together nicely.
Haven’t got an abundance of room to work with but it does the job. And the mosquitoes are good at keeping me company....
AA57AD7B-68E3-45D8-AB2D-408E73D55AAD.jpeg

Andy7

Staff member
Silencers are off, I remember the last time I did this it was harder/slower removing the stock system than installing the new pipes. The coil under the seat Is a fiddly exercise. Esp because I do it without removing the subframe.
C9F373CB-3569-445D-8295-4EF42DD32537.jpeg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
90 mins to get the whole stock system off. Don’t ask me to do a v4 im not qualified for that yet 😂
View attachment 2887
Hi Andy7,
You are very quick in taking out everything (y)

By the way, I must confused you with someone else, but I though you had a Vandemon full system exhaust before?
What happened to it?

Is this your bike on the YouTube video by @DucatiKev below?

Andy7

Staff member
Hi Andy7,
You are very quick in taking out everything (y)

By the way, I must confused you with someone else, but I though you had a Vandemon full system exhaust before?
What happened to it?

Is this your bike on the YouTube video by @DucatiKev below?
You’re not mistaken Howard, I previously installed the VanDemon full system on the bike however I had to restore it to stock form in order to get a roadworthy certificate when I *stupidly* let the registration expire.
So this is the third time I’m changing the exhaust over but it should be able to stay like this for as long as I want now 😅

Andy7

Staff member
Test fitting the new silencers and carbon cover before I reinstall the titanium headers.
Going to stick some better heat shielding on the carbon guard to protect the inside of my legs a little more. Heat really won’t be too much of a problem anyway since ill be eliminating the coil under the seat now but every bit helps.
F950447A-96C5-4251-AB6C-366D7840AAEC.jpeg