Panigale Vision

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Cheers Craig, I haven’t done their course before - they’ve not been operating the last 2 years. Will sort out a few of my bad habits hopefully

Andy7

Staff member
Transitioning to the dark side a little more. Been a long 2 1/2 months waiting for these to arrive but worth it now they’re here!
2 weeks til I can test them out so until then it’s eye candy. After that I may undertake another little cosmetic update to satisfy my own ocd lol.
73DB6D22-57AC-4265-B2A6-6FE97A5A4168.jpeg D9A59D35-A2F8-4A38-ABCF-622A0F761985.jpeg

Andy7

Staff member
Fit up the new kit today, I have some axle sliders to install as well just in case things get a bit sideways. Sag settings are good but will have to see how everything else goes - will take it to one of the gurus and let them work their magic once I’ve ridden it and have some feedback. Ohlins Manual said to torque the upper triple clamp to 20nm, lower to 10 while the ima instructions said 7.5 so split the difference and went with 10 on upper, lower and the clip ons. Anyone have alternative recommendations?
DA8EDB26-55C7-4F10-85F4-03447B27AF77.jpeg 12F23754-88E4-4BD5-BA58-0C6F8D83C75D.jpeg AF6BF76B-1025-4F86-B5FE-6341DA7E2596.jpeg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Fit up the new kit today, I have some axle sliders to install as well just in case things get a bit sideways. Sag settings are good but will have to see how everything else goes - will take it to one of the gurus and let them work their magic once I’ve ridden it and have some feedback.
Ohlins Manual said to torque the upper triple clamp to 20nm, lower to 10 while the ima instructions said 7.5 so split the difference and went with 10 on upper, lower and the clip ons. Anyone have alternative recommendations?
View attachment 8039 View attachment 8040 View attachment 8041
Hello Andy,
This is the torque setting on Ducati official service manual for my bike and it should be the same as yours:
For the lower triple clamp/yoke:
1648137910658.png

for the upper triple clamp/yoke:
1648137965378.png
1648137986532.png

Since the IMA and the stock Ducati Triple clamps are all made of Aluminum, (eventhough the lower stock is case and IMA is billet, but should not make that much different), then the max torque value now depend on the size of the bolt.
In this case for the lower triple clamp/yoke 7.5Nm or 10Nm should not be a problem since I believe the lower triple clamp use an M6.

For the upper triple clamp, may I know what is the size of the bolt that IMA use? is it M8 or M6? If it is M8 then you can go more to 20 or even 22Nm per Ducati spec above. but if it is M6, then maybe 12.5Nm? since 15Nm is the safe torque for M6 bolts from ProTi. (don't worry about ProTi Titanium or and regular steel bolt, at M6 size they are close).
Having said that, most of the weight or clamping power is handled more by the lower triple clamp, still since there is only 1 bolt holding each leg of the fork on the upper triple clamp, I think you might want a tighter bolt torque value.
The only concern is crashing the Ohlins tube, but since the Ohlins is design for stock clamp that can withstand 20 to 22Nm or torque than the Ohlins forks is not the weak point here.

Andy7

Staff member
Thanks Howard, the upper and lower bolts on the IMA clamps are both the same so M6. There are 4 bolts holding the lower clamp and 2 for the upper + 2 on each clip-on. My memory was a bit vague so I couldn't remember what I used before but I'm pretty certain I listened to what the instructions were telling me 😆

Also, photo from the weekend. I need to sort out the ergonomics a bit more, finding it hard to grip with my knee and hang off the bike - while I am repositioning to get weight on the inside it still looks like i'm planted square in the middle of the seat.
55E6BAC8-CAAB-4399-995D-CDF91244B0B9.jpeg

Andy7

Staff member
Yesterday my California Superbike school got cancelled due to the rain, ‘postponed’ rather so I went out shopping to console myself 😉 (and waste a few hours while I was on my own)
Went and saw the Guru on race suits since a few guys I know have had or been close to having some pretty savage highsides and in each case their airbag suits saved them from some brutal injuries.
Very cool bloke to talk to, knows everything (and has crash tested just about every one there is). Up to date on who’s doing/wearing what in motogp etc (eg. Custom airbag shapes & sizes depending on what body parts they want covered - Rossi doesn’t like as much padding for example)
It was a funny moment when I put it on, was a perfect fit and told me he’s been waiting 2 years for the right person to come try that suit on 😂 Treats them like that guy in Harry Potter selling wands “the suit chooses the wizard Harry”.
Came away with the last Dainese Misano D-air in the country just about. *If you’re hesitating about buying Dainese go do it now, their manufacturing is being bombed by Russia at the moment.
If I have I won’t need it 🤞🏻
73EEFE5A-14F4-474F-A3D6-C8C94570672C.jpeg

craig bush

Nice. (y)

I bought the same suit a couple months ago to augment the RS Taichi 307 Techair Race suit I crash tested last September. Looking to wear it for the first time May 7 @ COTA.

Andy7

Staff member
First bit of Ducati Modified from me in a little while so thought I’d make the wait worth it.
E863847D-87F3-4574-AA2B-9281F4D15A20.jpeg E4247DB0-30FD-457D-8AC1-C9B2A8A3F70D.jpeg
Slow process with the amount of paint stripping, scraping and sanding on repeat to get to this point, still a bit more to do to get the finish I’m after before finalising a paint scheme but it’ll be worth the effort.
83660236-9BFA-4FF5-8D89-2989F80F3EE1.jpeg 4B1495F0-9DEA-4794-9206-FA56E7C3C256.jpeg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Wow Andy, that is a lot of patience, persistent, and craftsmanship. Today, I am going to start sanding (using dremel) for some old aluminum parts from the 998... but they are no where near as large (surface area) as your gas tank... and I am already not looking forward to do it since it is so time consuming and tedious work.
Your sanding on the other hand is much harder and not to mention you are using your hand without any tools,...
But of course, the result will be amazing 🤩
Are you planning to have some of the aluminum exposed like in the "R" gas tank?

Andy7

Staff member
Thanks @BMW Alpina! It’s probably taken me about 4 1/2 hours to get to that point. I much prefer the integrated look of the V4 tank so a full brushed look definitely suits that model. I’m gonna paint some of the tank to match the theme of the bike (stealth/sp 🤔) and leave a bit of silver exposed just for something a bit unique. Like a wannabe ‘R’ 😂

craig bush

@Andy7 have you worn the Misano?

Finally wore mine for two days at COTA this weekend - nice suit. Think I prefer the RS Taichi a little (quality is a little better and I prefer “in” boots to the “out”), but the Misano is very nice and noticeably lighter.

Andy7

Staff member
@Andy7 have you worn the Misano?

Finally wore mine for two days at COTA this weekend - nice suit. Think I prefer the RS Taichi a little (quality is a little better and I prefer “in” boots to the “out”), but the Misano is very nice and noticeably lighter.
Gday Craig, yep it got its first outing a couple of weeks ago. Left it on in the heat all day to try and let it mould to me and it was feeling very comfortable by the end of the day. The only thing I need/will adjust is to cut the sleeves about an inch or so shorter and sew some elastic underneath so it’s not as bulky under my gloves around the wrist but no complaints otherwise. The added mental confidence of having the airbag security was a bonus too. I do rate the inner boots, super comfortable and not messing around with zips and buckles is nice.
I’m too tight to pay $25 for a photo, so here’s the watermarked version 😂 not an overall improvement on times (still slow) but a lot of work all day on setup and body position to apply next time.
EAC012E4-208A-42CE-851A-73CAC64F520A.jpeg

craig bush

Gday Craig, yep it got its first outing a couple of weeks ago. Left it on in the heat all day to try and let it mould to me and it was feeling very comfortable by the end of the day. The only thing I need/will adjust is to cut the sleeves about an inch or so shorter and sew some elastic underneath so it’s not as bulky under my gloves around the wrist but no complaints otherwise. The added mental confidence of having the airbag security was a bonus too. I do rate the inner boots, super comfortable and not messing around with zips and buckles is nice.
I’m too tight to pay $25 for a photo, so here’s the watermarked version 😂 not an overall improvement on times (still slow) but a lot of work all day on setup and body position to apply next time.
View attachment 8645
Agreed - there is a lot of material around your wrists. My glove gauntlet is tight over it.

Nice picture - elbow’s almost down. (y)