Is Titanium safe for Rear Axle? related to Hollow Titanium Blade failure on Boeing 777

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I am sure most of you had heard about United Airlines Boeing 777 engine blew up yesterday. Turn out similar incident had happened before and I just heard that both Boeing had asked every user in the world to ground their the Boeing 777 with the same Pratt & Whitney PW4090 engine for inspection.

Here is the news:Boeing Calls for Global Grounding of 777s Equipped With One Engine Model

Now, on another news: Authorities in U.S. and Japan ground Boeing 777s after engine explodes over Denver
There is an interesting paragraph, I copy and paste below:

The crack that led the fan blade to break on the United flight was similar to one that occurred on a 2018 United flight, said a person familiar with the preliminary investigation results who wasn’t authorized to discuss them.

In the latest failure, one fan blade cracked and broke off near where it attached to a rotating hub, according to the person. A second blade was also broken, apparently after it was struck by the first blade.

The fan blades on this type of PW4000 are hollow and made of titanium. The cracks appear to start from within the surface, making them hard to detect. Airlines can use technologies such as ultrasound to find cracks beneath the surface. The blades are only used on some 777 planes, said the FAA, which is stepping up the frequency of inspections.

After reading this paragraph, I decided to wrote this post on our forum,
Many months ago, I was looking for a Titanium parts manufacturer that can produce a custom Titanium Rear Axle to my spec, and most of them did not respond but one good manufacturer respond, I copy and paste below:

Howard,
We made a run of like 50pcs and we hot forged the flange area, heat treated the blanks, then started the machining process, and then PVD hard coated bearing area. Price back then was around $3-4k each. Now the cost would be much more. Sorry no interest in doing this project again.

Basically what this manufacturer said was, he made titanium rear axle in the past for older Ducati model, however, he can't sold enough to make money because all the process he had to do to make sure it is strong enough for that bike application.
And I assure you that the bike he made the rear axle was not as powerful as our Panigale V4 !!!

Now, our rear axle is HOLLOW just like the Titanium Fan Blade on that Boeing 777 engine. Plus both our rear axle and this fan blade are "ROTATING Assembly" so they experience similar stress, but our rear axle actually experience more stress from the vertical movement of the swing arm following bump (those fan blade only experience rotating stress), so our rear axle actually "work harder" correspondence to the design of course.

Please note that we can't really make our rear axle tube wall much thicker if we still want to use our stock rear bike stand, plus thicker wall will add weight making the "weight reduction" less attractive.
So what this means is, any Titanium Rear Axle for our Ducati Panigale V4 will be WEAKER then our stock steel Ducati factory Panigale V4 rear axle due to simple reason, Titanium itself is weaker than steel at same volume. Titanium is stronger than steel if both weight the same, meaning the Titanium need to have more volume to be equal in strength to steel.

In our case, the rear axle made of Titanium need to have much thicker tube wall in order to be equal to the stock Ducati steel rear axle.
Not to mention, if you just machined a rear axle from Titanium Grade V (the stronger grade), but without any "treatment" after machining, there might be weak area due to machining process which make it weaker than the original ingot of Titanium grade V.

That is why the rear axle manufacturer comment above specifically said that he "hot forged the flange area and heat treated the blanks", the hot forged flange area is the key because that is where the stress is the most.
One more thing, our rear axle is for SINGLE SIDED Swing Arm, thus the flange area handle the stress that usually distributed to 2 end of the axle on the double sided swing arm.

Now,remember this post at Ducati UK forum: 899 - Dangerous Rear Wheel Axel Failure
If a Ducati stock steel rear axle can fail, then a weaker Titanium rear axle can fail too...

I understand that some user only use their bike for the street, but... a street use might be more stressful for the rear axle because, street have more potholes and not as flat as a race track. Imagine your tire/wheel is like the head of a hammer, while your swing arm is the handle of a hammer.
Each time your rear wheel hit a bump on the street, that create stress to the "single flange".
That and plus our Ducati engine is very powerful and the "twist" action from the rotating sprocket, create twisting stress on the same "single flange"... do it over and over and over, and crack/stress might start...
Acceleration on the track usually more rolling acceleration, but acceleration on the street, can happened a lot on that from the stop light drag race... that is harder than rolling acceleration on the track...

Plus, when Titanium break, it just break without warning, unlike steel. Yes, aluminum is worse in sudden breaking but Titanium is also like that although not as bad as aluminum.

Back to the article above, the hollow titanium blade of the Boeing 777 engine start crack from within / beneath the surface so you cannot detect it from the surface, and you need X-Ray or Ultrasound.
Basically, a titanium rear axle on our bike, if it broke might also be similar (crack might start from within/beneath the surface where you can't really see).

Yes, many rider had used Titanium rear axle in the past without problem or failure, however, that doesn't mean it is 100% safe.
It might be because, the bike they are using is not powerful enough to break the rear axle, or maybe they don't ride that much or that hard, or maybe the thickness of the wall is thick enough or they were made with many special step like forging to properly enhance their strength.
I also don't think any titanium rear axle manufacturer actually test their axle to the breaking point and have measurement to know the critical limit...

If racing team use titanium rear axle, well, they use every parts as consumable parts and replace them routinely... we on the other hand most likely won't replace our titanium rear axle every few thousands miles or so...

Those passenger on that Boeing 777 was never thought that the world class engineer at Pratt & Whitney and to some extend Boeing's engineers might made mistake when designing this engine hollow titanium blade... and again if those world class engineer can make mistake...
well, I am pretty sure most titanium rear axle for Panigale V4 were not as thoroughly engineered and tested as the titanium fan blade of this 777 (which still fail)....

Again, the key points are:
a. Single sided swing arm (unlike conventional dual sided swing arm or front axle with pair of forks application)
b. Wall thickness is about the same as steel stock rear axle
c. Titanium broke more suddenly than steel
d. Our bike is very powerful, more powerful than previous generations of superbikes
e. CNC Machining only without extra process/treatment might not be strong enough
f. Even world class engineer at Pratt & Whitney and Boeing can made mistake
g. cracks might be below surface and undetected
h. rear axle is hollow just like the titanium fan blade that fail
i. We only have 1 life

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Insightful analysis. Thank you. 👊

Are you suggesting that we should not run the BDS titanium rear axle?
Hi Craig Bush,
I am not pointing out any brand or manufacturer of titanium rear axle, I actually was hesistant to even wrote this post,
however, I care for other's safety and I see the Boeing 777 incident is a good example of how things (that supposed to be throughly engineered can still go wrong).
But, if I am buying a Titanium Rear Axle, I would want to know the manufacturing process of that titanium rear axle, and specification comparing it's strength to the stock Ducati OEM through some "destructive testing".
It might increase the cost of the rear axle, but it worth it due to safety issue.

Some people like to use the word "aerospace" to make things seemed to be... oh soo good... but aerospace is littered with many fatal failures too. so don't trust someone when they utter word like aerospace and hide behind it.
Ask for data, technical data from independent laboratory testing to verify. It is your life that you are talking about here...

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info Howard, I’m always learning a lot from the amount of time & detail you put into your posts. Makes me feel lazy for not being as thorough in my updates as you! Haha

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
Fantastic info. One thing that needs to be pointed out is that the fan blades are investment cast in order to make them hollow. This is just about the only way to make them so thin and light. This comes at a price(not only $$ but structural). Cast items tent to just come apart often times due to stressed areas not being dense enough in a specific area or that area work hardens as it flexes. Cast items have terrible ability to withstand work-hardening. Billet machined pieces and forged pieces are far stronger than cast and also can endure stresses far greater than cast due to the density of the material(packing liquid metal into a mould vs billet- starting out with a solid chunk that has uniform pressure grains vs forged- red hot billet smashed into a mould over and over till a rough shape is formed then machined to finish dimensions). All processes have their ideal application. The engine failure could be resolved (in my opinion) using billet blades that are then machined out internally using one of the super crazy cnc 7 axis machines and a tiny thin endmill but the cost to do so would be very great(investment casting is also expensive but the CNC internal machining machine is more). Factoring in cost vs failure rate I'm sure is how they determined that the process are using. This video is a fantastic one that describes some ti/aluminum/steel bennifits and down sides even though it is talking about connecting rods(jump to 11:20 for direct steel vs ti but the beginning talks about grain structures and how they are achieved and what is optimal).

As far as the axle gos, I would not hesitate to swap out a rear axle for a Forged Titanium one but I would definitely be mindful of scratching, coatings and friction points. It will definitely be lighter and stronger than the steel if it's forged. I would be hesitant if it were just billet machined titanium.

If someone were to make a billet titanium axle, as you mentioned the wall thickness would need to be greater to achieve the same strength as steel. This would require a different pin in your stand. Bottom line for me, I would have to weigh the cost vs weight savings for this specific location but only if the titanium piece is forged. (Disclaimer, I am not a metal-ologist and my understandings are only based on what I have learned be it correct or incorrect over the past 5ish years as a hobby machinist. Please correct me if any of what I said is wrong. I am always open to learning more. After retiring from my current career i intend my next career to be in the metal working field... hopefully)

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hi Araitim,
I can't find the method that Pratt & Whitney use to produce their Titanium Hollow fan blades, so I don't know whether they are cast or not,
However, and this is my assumption, I don't think those fan blades were cast because not only they need to withstand the engine rotation force and heat, they also need to be resistant enough to bird getting suck into the engine.

The method I found so far (I only do 20 minutes google search so I might missed something) to make hollow titanium jet engine blades is copy and paste below:
US20110211965A1 - Hollow fan blade - Google Patents
  • Both solid and hollow blades made from titanium or titanium alloys, such as Ti-6Al-4V alloys, have been proven to offer sufficient hardness to resist erosion and foreign object damage and be certified for commercial service. However, diminishing returns are seen with these hollow blades as the cavities become smaller and approach the required thickness of the airfoil surfaces. Further, hollow blades are costly to produce using current techniques, particularly in the case of titanium, where expensive processes such as diffusion bonding are usually necessary to join two sheets together into a single hollow structure. Other less costly processes do not reliably produce the desired results without introducing unwanted stresses or weakening the blade in key areas.
SUMMARY
  • [0004]
    A blade includes a hollow metal airfoil having an opening to an internal cavity in a first major surface. A metal cover is adhesively bonded to a socket formed around the opening. The cover encloses the cavity and provides a continuous first major surface.
  • [0005]
    A method for making a blade includes forming a metal airfoil and cover. An opening, a socket, and a cavity are formed on a first major surface. The cover is engaged with the socket to enclose the cavity within the airfoil. The cover and socket are adhesively bonded. The airfoil is machined to form a final blade shape.

There is also this Youtube video from Boeing's Singapore facility:

and another article from Boeing:Rolls-Royce comes full circle

From what I read so far, it will be too costly to replace those hollow titanium fan blades in the Pratt & Whitney engine, that this might be the end of the 777 equipped with this particular Pratt & Whitney engine, which also another indication that I assume because their titanium hollow fan blades were manufactured using expensive method.

Back to the rear axle,
I might be wrong, but I don't think any currently available rear axle for our Ducati Panigale V4 involve forging in their manufacturing process because it will make it more expensive due to forging tooling (and more wear and tear of the forging tooling to forge Titanium).
Also the rear axle shape is complex with hollow tube, so it will be hard to forged the entire shape unless some welding or bonding involve, and I don't see any welding or bonding line on all the titanium rear axle available so far.
but again, I might be wrong, but usually manufacturer will list forging as their method of production when they produced forged parts to give more confidence and good for marketing too.

Ducati actually list their upper rear ohlins shock mounting bracket for Panigale V4 as FORGED on their website, I did replace this with the Motocorse Billet/CNC version just because it looks nice, however, I am pretty sure the Motocorse Billet/CNC version is actually weaker than the ugly Ducati forged parts, still since they are not hollow, and they are not thin wall, plus on some area they are thicker than the original forged part from Ducati, I am comfortable of using it.

If there is any titanium rear axle for Ducati manufactured their rear axle using forging process, and they explain how they forged it, I would feel safer to buy it.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Great info.
I think with all things factory and aftermarket there is a chance for failure. Because at the end of the day suppliers make the parts for the factory. Those suppliers get material from their suppliers and so on. So If we try to analyze every part we shouldn't change anything. I've been using Ti for a long time like many other members here. By my calculation I have a higher chance of dying from getting hit by a car than my axle snapping. So I'm going to roll the dice 🎲🎲 on this one LOL.

Last edited:

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
In all honesty not every piece needs to be able to withstand the weight of a MAC truck. I remember reading a quick and dirty ratio on how oem decide how to build things. It was 'every structural, supporting or safety part is made to withstand 2.5X it's working weight'. I'm not sure how accurate that is but it sounds good and it has stuck with me over the years. I'm sure that the Titanium axle will be plenty strong to do its job well. High end companies and we'll known companies that make custom parts don't tend to sell items they make that have a high failure rate. That would be very bad for them.

The part about investment casting I found doing a quick search brought me to this. (not sure if It will share but I'll try.) It shows the mould making process, the way it's cast and the finished product.
(It won't let me so I'll share the search. It's really cool pics at the bottom of th pdf)Screenshot_20210222-115021_Google.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
High end companies and we'll known companies that make custom parts don't tend to sell items they make that have a high failure rate. That would be very bad for them.
That is normally true, however in our Panigale V4 rear axle case, the replacement Titanium rear axle had to be made with the same exact dimension and most of the shape especially in the critical area where the wheel hub/flange meet with the center hollow tube/shaft is the same shape as the original Ducati parts that was originally designed to be made from steel. So the normal "adjustment of shape/design" to compensate for weaker material cannot be perform for the rear axle made from Titanium since they have to be drop in replacement.

I don't think any manufacturer intentionally made a defective product for obvious reason, but even a well known manufacturer such as Pratt & Whitney can fail.
and I am sure Pratt & Whitney have ISO (or other) standard in their production to ensure traceability from the raw material supplier to every process involved in the manufacturing of that titanium fan blade.

The small aftermarket part manufacturer for Ducati, might actually outsource the manufacturing of the rear axle and might not have this level of traceability, at least not if they want to keep the selling price of the rear axle within certain range.
The small aftermarket part manufacturer might also rely the "engineering" to the outsource machine shop, and the machine shop might only have data of the shape they have to copy or machined without any data on the stress and force this parts going to endure nor the life time of the parts before they need to be replaced.

Bruce Wayne

Something that needs to be taken into account is that the titanium bar used to make the rear axle is usually cold drawn thus giving similar properties as forging, the process of machining needs to take into account heat build up that can change the materials properties and cutting marks left by the tooling. I have both a metalurgical background as well as being a machinist, for this reason i always over engineer titanium parts that are safety critical, i personally have no issue with the BDS titanium rear axle i have fitted one to my V4R and same with the front axle i made. That said i would look at replacing stressed titanium parts more regularly than steel under full racing conditions and after a season racing even an oem rear axle should be replaced. I use titanium caliper bolts on all my race bikes and they get replaced after 10 series of tensioning.

Bruce Wayne

20210219_152559.jpg
This is the stock lower spring mount on the rsp40 rear shock, next to it is the titanium one i made to extend it, the stock ohlins is alluminium with a steel insert where it attaches to the shock rod you can see if zoom in, i made mine from titanium for strength as i didnt want to fit a riveted part so it ended up 70grams heavier but over engineered and a bitch to machine the radius on a manual machine. I think i could have easy made this same weight by trimming the material but not worth the risk for 70grams.