Info Needed- Akra slip-on for V4s

Motovalor

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed. Couldn’t find the specifics that I am looking for. I am currently debating between getting a Full Akra system vs Slip-on for my V4s, honestly leaning towards Slip-on due to being less complex labor involved. I do understand the advantage or disadvantages of both, for a street rider / occasional track rider like me the advantages of the Full system are very minimal compared to the Slip-on.

What I would like to get clarity on is:
  1. If I install the Slip-on myself will my local Dealer upload the Ducati Akra up? If they do I am assuming they will just charge me whatever time they spend on uploading the map.
  2. Will the Akra Slip-on system fit into Akra full header system? In this case, If I ever wanted to get the Headers only I could utilize my existing Slip-on.
  3. Is the Ducati Map for Slip-on the same Map for the Full Akra system? Called my local dealer and he had no answer, again this scenario feeds into point 2.
Yes, I like the Full system but not worth the $ amount and the hassle it’s going to cause. The nearest Ducati dealer with experience installing the full system is 3 hours away, plus the 10 hours of labor that it needs. Appreciate any information regarding this, thanks in advance.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hello Motovalor,

I can assist you with your questions above:
1. Yes, the local dealer will upload the Ducati Akrapovic Up-Map even when you install the slip-on myself. However, depending on your state regulations regarding emissions, but I believe it is a federal rules now, that you need apply an affidavit of non road use to your DMV and bring that affidavit to the dealer.
You also need to remove or taped up your headlights and the motorcycle must be TOWED or Carried on a back of your truck/van and must not be driven to the dealer. You also need to sign a form releasing liability from the dealer and Ducati of North America if you ever get caught riding the bike on the street.
I know because, I actually install my SC-Project WSBK exhaust myself and my dealer installed the Full System Akrapovic Up-Map for me after I did all the above. Of course, I also purchase the Full System Akrapovic, that is why I have the license for the Up-Map software, but my bike was not even have any Ducati Akrapovic exhaust on it, when the dealer install the Akrapovic Full-System Up-Map for me.

2. I am pretty sure the Akrapovic Slip-On system will fit into the Akrapovic Full System, however, the problem is, Akrapovic (Ducati) did not sell the header by itself and you can only buy it as a kit. At least as far as I know, so it is best to just buy the full system from the start. So you never have any second thought or remorse in the future.

3. The Ducati map for Akrapovic Slip-On system is DIFFERENT than the map for the Akrapovic Full System, this is also another reason why you should just buy the full system from the start.

The Full System will be worth the $ amount especially if you install them yourself. It is NOT that hard, just labor intensive, however you should not have any problem because Ducati provided a very detailed step by step instruction to install the full system.
The only thing you need to prepare is to buy a long socket extension and also the thinnest socket (or better swivel socket) to take off the small nuts holding the manifold to the cylinder.
Then you just take your bike to the dealer to have them install the up-map for the full system.

Motovalor

Hello Motovalor,

I can assist you with your questions above:
1. Yes, the local dealer will upload the Ducati Akrapovic Up-Map even when you install the slip-on myself. However, depending on your state regulations regarding emissions, but I believe it is a federal rules now, that you need apply an affidavit of non road use to your DMV and bring that affidavit to the dealer.
You also need to remove or taped up your headlights and the motorcycle must be TOWED or Carried on a back of your truck/van and must not be driven to the dealer. You also need to sign a form releasing liability from the dealer and Ducati of North America if you ever get caught riding the bike on the street.
I know because, I actually install my SC-Project WSBK exhaust myself and my dealer installed the Full System Akrapovic Up-Map for me after I did all the above. Of course, I also purchase the Full System Akrapovic, that is why I have the license for the Up-Map software, but my bike was not even have any Ducati Akrapovic exhaust on it, when the dealer install the Akrapovic Full-System Up-Map for me.

2. I am pretty sure the Akrapovic Slip-On system will fit into the Akrapovic Full System, however, the problem is, Akrapovic (Ducati) did not sell the header by itself and you can only buy it as a kit. At least as far as I know, so it is best to just buy the full system from the start. So you never have any second thought or remorse in the future.

3. The Ducati map for Akrapovic Slip-On system is DIFFERENT than the map for the Akrapovic Full System, this is also another reason why you should just buy the full system from the start.

The Full System will be worth the $ amount especially if you install them yourself. It is NOT that hard, just labor intensive, however you should not have any problem because Ducati provided a very detailed step by step instruction to install the full system.
The only thing you need to prepare is to buy a long socket extension and also the thinnest socket (or better swivel socket) to take off the small nuts holding the manifold to the cylinder.
Then you just take your bike to the dealer to have them install the up-map for the full system.
Thank you BMW Alpina!

1. Wow, is that a Federal requirement now? Which state do you live and is your bike track only? I am from Ohio and want to be sure the dealer is not going to ask me to register my bike for non-road use with the DMV. I do not mind doing the rest, will give a call to my dealer and check. On that note- Why did you not get an after-market tune for the WSBK system like termi or BT Moto? BT Moto states their Tune is much better than Ducati or Termi. Quite interested to know what you uncovered.

2. I have been following eBay and other marketplace sites and I'm sure at some point I'll be able to just snag a header system.

3. I was hoping this wasn't the case but makes sense.

where can I find the installation instruction? a quick search did not get the results. I will look thru the instructions and see if I can do it myself. And yeah, the labor $ that I would be paying Ducati to install the full system is more than my BMW full header system lol.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Thank you BMW Alpina!

1. Wow, is that a Federal requirement now? Which state do you live and is your bike track only? I am from Ohio and want to be sure the dealer is not going to ask me to register my bike for non-road use with the DMV. I do not mind doing the rest, will give a call to my dealer and check. On that note- Why did you not get an after-market tune for the WSBK system like termi or BT Moto? BT Moto states their Tune is much better than Ducati or Termi. Quite interested to know what you uncovered.

2. I have been following eBay and other marketplace sites and I'm sure at some point I'll be able to just snag a header system.

3. I was hoping this wasn't the case but makes sense.

where can I find the installation instruction? a quick search did not get the results. I will look thru the instructions and see if I can do it myself. And yeah, the labor $ that I would be paying Ducati to install the full system is more than my BMW full header system lol.
Hello Motovalor,
I am in California, but I beleive it is a federal requirement for every motorcycle to have a catalytic converter 🥴 which the Akrapovic no longer have...

I was planning to purchased an aftermarket tuning, but all the tuner I contacted cannot make my bike dashboard to show RACING EVO during startup and can only show RACING PRO. Especially since my bike is 2020 (older than 2020 have solution from Rexxer Italy or now XECU).
This was discussed in detail thanks to @ggok on his thread: DUCATI ECU and BBS Tuning (Racing EVO) for aftermarket exhaust

I really want my dashboard to show RACING EVO and it can only be done using Akrapovic official Up-Map from Ducati only. But now that my bike already show RACING EVO, I can further tune it with any aftermarket tuner out there and still keep it to show RACING EVO.
However, I don't see the need of a more refined tune or a need for more horsepower for my bike, in fact, I think a slightly richer tune from Akrapovic at the cost of less horsepower is better for longevity of the engine, so I am very happy with official Ducati Akrapovic Tune.

An affidavit of non-road use is only temporary, and you can always reverse back to road use with your DMV. For me, my bike is for display only so I am not affected whether it is registered or not for road use, since I am not planning to ride my bike on the street.

Yes, you might be able to at some point in the future to buy just a header, but normally people sell their used system with the silencer, plus how long do you plan to wait? it might take years before you find one. And if you are lucky enough to find one, the price of just the header might be more than the price differences from the slip-on and full system brand new.

I do have an alternative for you, the easiest compromise to get close to Akrapovic full system is by buying a slip on from Akrapovic but using the REAR cylinder header from a V4R or the newer 2022 Panigale model which have a shorter rear cylinder header.

MaverickiB

Federal regulations require all vehicles to be sold with catalytic converters, but local regulations may vary as far as post-sale goes. California has it's own extremely strict regulations, any emissions equipment must be state-approved, which aftermarket exhausts absolutely aren't. That is why Cali dealers basically can't do the Akra system and UpMap without it being a non-road going machine.

I'm not familiar with Ohio, but as it is with most states other than California, you should be fine. My county in WA had no motorcycle emissions standards at all. I'm fairly certain California is the only state you have to jump through that ridiculous number of hoops in.

Motovalor

Hello Motovalor,
I am in California, but I beleive it is a federal requirement for every motorcycle to have a catalytic converter 🥴 which the Akrapovic no longer have...

I was planning to purchased an aftermarket tuning, but all the tuner I contacted cannot make my bike dashboard to show RACING EVO during startup and can only show RACING PRO. Especially since my bike is 2020 (older than 2020 have solution from Rexxer Italy or now XECU).
This was discussed in detail thanks to @ggok on his thread: DUCATI ECU and BBS Tuning (Racing EVO) for aftermarket exhaust

I really want my dashboard to show RACING EVO and it can only be done using Akrapovic official Up-Map from Ducati only. But now that my bike already show RACING EVO, I can further tune it with any aftermarket tuner out there and still keep it to show RACING EVO.
However, I don't see the need of a more refined tune or a need for more horsepower for my bike, in fact, I think a slightly richer tune from Akrapovic at the cost of less horsepower is better for longevity of the engine, so I am very happy with official Ducati Akrapovic Tune.

An affidavit of non-road use is only temporary, and you can always reverse back to road use with your DMV. For me, my bike is for display only so I am not affected whether it is registered or not for road use, since I am not planning to ride my bike on the street.

Yes, you might be able to at some point in the future to buy just a header, but normally people sell their used system with the silencer, plus how long do you plan to wait? it might take years before you find one. And if you are lucky enough to find one, the price of just the header might be more than the price differences from the slip-on and full system brand new.

I do have an alternative for you, the easiest compromise to get close to Akrapovic full system is by buying a slip on from Akrapovic but using the REAR cylinder header from a V4R or the newer 2022 Panigale model which have a shorter rear cylinder header.
I read thru that discussion - the info provided is quite amazing. I hear you regarding the Arka tune, I always struggled with the aftermarket tune where ever possible going Factory tune is the best- I have a 7-year warranty and don't want an after-market tune to throw a rock at it. I am about to install full Ti on my S1000rr K67 and really don't want to get BT moto tune, but unfortunately, that's the only option available on the bike. Cali Regulations are getting out of hand. Glad to know we can always revert back to road use with our DMV. Just this morning I saw a YT video of a guy installing the full system, seems doable for a noob like me. Just need to get the right tools like you suggested and time. The full system makes sense if I am able to install it myself. If not I am looking at double the price of a slip-on.

Federal regulations require all vehicles to be sold with catalytic converters, but local regulations may vary as far as post-sale goes. California has it's own extremely strict regulations, any emissions equipment must be state-approved, which aftermarket exhausts absolutely aren't. That is why Cali dealers basically can't do the Akra system and UpMap without it being a non-road going machine.

I'm not familiar with Ohio, but as it is with most states other than California, you should be fine. My county in WA had no motorcycle emissions standards at all. I'm fairly certain California is the only state you have to jump through that ridiculous number of hoops in.
Yeah, I called Ducati Detriot and they said I'll have to sign something but do not need to get something from the DMV big relief. Man, Cali like I stated is getting out of hand and unfortunately the regs are getting strict every year. Leave us, motorists, alone lol.

Motovalor

Hi @BMW Alpina

Side discussion Kind off- Need your guidance and knowledge with my questions here - So I came across a Used Full Akra System for kinda a great price, the person used it for trace for a year and it looks to be in great condition. Now If I purchase and install the used system on my V4s what are my tuning option would Temi/up map full system be able to support this Akra Full system? I read through the discussion you shared but unfortunately couldn't make sense of it. I wouldn't wanna go with the Bren tune based on everything I read Termi Map is better and honestly a bit cheaper. Also, do you know what kinda impact this would have on my extended warranty? Thanks

Jrkk

If you wanna fine tune by yourself, or a dyno, then:

Woolichracing

All others are canned tune.
Probably termi800 works reasonably well though.

Edit:
There is of course rexxer and slr and brentune, but you cannot do it yourself. Bren and Slr you can download map that someone else has made.
I think Woolichracing opens new world to us.

Motovalor

If you wanna fine tune by yourself, or a dyno, then:

Woolichracing

All others are canned tune.
Probably termi800 works reasonably well though.

Edit:
There is of course rexxer and slr and brentune, but you cannot do it yourself. Bren and Slr you can download map that someone else has made.
I think Woolichracing opens new world to us.
Yeah, I read the discussion that Alipna shared in which they were implying Trmi800 and Akra Maps are a bit similar with Akra running a bit rich. New to tuning lol, cannot do my own unfortunately will need to rely on Akra or Termi800. If I do buy the used system will definitely do more research and get it on a dyno.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hello again,
If you buy a used Akrapovic, your tuning option is actually a lot.
I would recommend SLR if you just want a ready to use tune and great customer support because I contacted him in the past and he was very responsive and friendly.
BrenTuning would also be an alternative for you.
If you willing to order from outside USA then XECU is also great to work with and I like their expertise.
But if you really want the simplest method than the Termi 800 is the most simplest one, however I think their map might not be that shall I say "precise". You will be happier with SLR.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, however like Jrkk said, if you want the ultimate, Woolichracing with dyno tuning might be the best but it will also cost the more since you have to do it on a dyno to make it perfect.

I forgot to answer your question regarding the installation manual to install the full system Akrapovic and you will get them in the box together with the exhaust. It is more like a THICK book that is very detailed.
There are several YouTube videos also about installing this system. Yes, they all say it is hard bla bla bla,... but that is just the way people "dramatize" their experience to make their video looks more "interesting"...
It's not that hard, just take a bit of time...

By the way, why don't you just buy your Akrapovic Full System exhaust from WRS in Italy? Their pricing is the best on the planet at only 3,660 euro or around 4,150 US dollar and you can still upload the official Akrapovic UPMAP at US Ducati Dealer.
That is what I purchase my Akrapovic Full System Exhaust from: 96481386C AKRAPOVIC RACING COMPLETE EXHAUST DUCATI PANIGALE V4 / S / R DUCATI OFFICIAL

Also, if you want to buy from WRS, talk to Gianluca Franca by sending him an email here: info@wrs.it
and tell him Howard from DUCATIModified.com forum who purchased his Full System Akrapovic for his Panigale V4 sent you.
Tell him your bike VIN number so Gianluca can register it to the Ducati Service System (it's a global system that can be accessed by any US dealer).

Motovalor

Hello again,
If you buy a used Akrapovic, your tuning option is actually a lot.
I would recommend SLR if you just want a ready to use tune and great customer support because I contacted him in the past and he was very responsive and friendly.
BrenTuning would also be an alternative for you.
If you willing to order from outside USA then XECU is also great to work with and I like their expertise.
But if you really want the simplest method than the Termi 800 is the most simplest one, however I think their map might not be that shall I say "precise". You will be happier with SLR.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, however like Jrkk said, if you want the ultimate, Woolichracing with dyno tuning might be the best but it will also cost the more since you have to do it on a dyno to make it perfect.

I forgot to answer your question regarding the installation manual to install the full system Akrapovic and you will get them in the box together with the exhaust. It is more like a THICK book that is very detailed.
There are several YouTube videos also about installing this system. Yes, they all say it is hard bla bla bla,... but that is just the way people "dramatize" their experience to make their video looks more "interesting"...
It's not that hard, just take a bit of time...

By the way, why don't you just buy your Akrapovic Full System exhaust from WRS in Italy? Their pricing is the best on the planet at only 3,660 euro or around 4,150 US dollar and you can still upload the official Akrapovic UPMAP at US Ducati Dealer.
That is what I purchase my Akrapovic Full System Exhaust from: 96481386C AKRAPOVIC RACING COMPLETE EXHAUST DUCATI PANIGALE V4 / S / R DUCATI OFFICIAL

Also, if you want to buy from WRS, talk to Gianluca Franca by sending him an email here: info@wrs.it
and tell him Howard from DUCATIModified.com forum who purchased his Full System Akrapovic for his Panigale V4 sent you.
Tell him your bike VIN number so Gianluca can register it to the Ducati Service System (it's a global system that can be accessed by any US dealer).
Thank you for the information, If going down the used path now I know where to look for. The used system was just something that came up and the guy does not want to do Paypal so will not be going down that road.

I will definitely check more YT videos to prepare myself for the Full system.

Wow, I Will definitely check them out and will purchase the system for sure. Thank you! will keep this post updated with whatever I decide.

Motovalor

Ok quick follow up as I am hearing different things from dealers:
- if I proceed with installing the full system by myself is the bikes warranty voided? My understanding was during the installation process if I miss handle and if this causes an issue it would be voided due to poor installation. But the overall bike and exhaust warranty will still be valid.
-Will the V4R lower fairings be an 1:1 replacement for V4s meaning fit and color? I like how the Ducati corse is being clear coated on.

thanks

MaverickiB

I'm not sure if you can mix and match fairings, but I do know that working on your bike yourself or at a shop that isn't part of the Ducati network does not void the warranty as long as some form of reasonable proof you did it correctly is provided, such as you having a service manual.

Once its installed, the warranty is intact for the rest of the bike but not for the exhaust system unless you purchased it straight from Ducati. I don't believe they'll cover a secondhand system on warranty. Your warranty is still good even if the motor has an issue UNLESS the issue can be traced back to the exhaust (improper fueling and whatnot). Using any tuning system other than authorized Ducati tunes basically voids the warranty for the entire electronics system and the motor, which is most of what can go wrong. So if you buy the exhaust from Ducati and use the UpMap they provide, then your warranty is fully intact even if you do the work yourself.

Motovalor

Hello Guys, I’ve got great new my full TI System is in 😉. Thanks to the members who convinced me to go for the full akra system instead of the Slip on. The kit come with sprint race filter now let’s be honest I don’t plan on racing maybe once or twice in a session it’s a big maybe.
So is the race filter good for daily street use kind of concerned on particulars being put into the engine. Any one try anything different for street use and how does the dedicated map play a part with when using another filter? Appreciate all your help. Cheers!

A1906070-A818-4E36-9F80-EE98EBBA3C3F.jpeg

bp_SFV4

That's not the full on Sprint race filter. Its the P01. Its a lot less restrictive than the OEM paper one but doesn't cost $300 to replace like the race version. The P01 is perfectly fine for street use.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Hello Guys, I’ve got great new my full TI System is in 😉. Thanks to the members who convinced me to go for the full akra system instead of the Slip on. The kit come with sprint race filter now let’s be honest I don’t plan on racing maybe once or twice in a session it’s a big maybe.
So is the race filter good for daily street use kind of concerned on particulars being put into the engine. Any one try anything different for street use and how does the dedicated map play a part with when using another filter? Appreciate all your help. Cheers!

View attachment 7676
Congratulations on your new Full System Akrapovic. They are beautifully built :love:
Did you get your Akrapovic Full System from Gianluca at WRS?

The official Map from Ducati/Akrapovic that came with this kit are a "safe" and "rather conservative" map. It won't make the most horsepower but it will be safe.
Meaning even if you upgrade to (link below):
RACING AIR FILTER F1-85 SPRINT FILTER DUCATI PANIGALE V4 / S / R 2018-2021
and there are slightly more airflow at high speed were the RAM air effect help, you motor will still be safe (Not Lean).
IMG_7562.JPG

Motovalor

Congratulations on your new Full System Akrapovic. They are beautifully built :love:
Did you get your Akrapovic Full System from Gianluca at WRS?

The official Map from Ducati/Akrapovic that came with this kit are a "safe" and "rather conservative" map. It won't make the most horsepower but it will be safe.
Meaning even if you upgrade to (link below):
RACING AIR FILTER F1-85 SPRINT FILTER DUCATI PANIGALE V4 / S / R 2018-2021
and there are slightly more airflow at high speed were the RAM air effect help, you motor will still be safe (Not Lean).
View attachment 7677
Awesome BMW Alpine thanks for reply I’ll stick with the Sprint filter that comes with the system for now, yes Luca helped me. Was surprised how easy and fast it was. Local dealers have no idea when they’ll be able to get one.
That's not the full on Sprint race filter. Its the P01. Its a lot less restrictive than the OEM paper one but doesn't cost $300 to replace like the race version. The P01 is perfectly fine for street use.
Thank you sir I’ll stick with the filter the comes with the system. 👍🏾

Motovalor

So just got the full system installed by the dealer- [If it wasn't for this dealer I probably would have done it myself even if it took 3 months]. I'm not going to disclose the dealer info here but I did not sign even a single piece of paper, nor did I tape the headlights/tail/Licence plate, nor did even talk about not running the bike on street. The whole process was super smooth, and the Ducati Dealer was awesome. Here are some of the pictures: Sadly I forgot to let the dealer know to send me progress pics by the time I sent them an email it was all done [in a day] did I say they were awesome?

Anyhow - I do like how smooth the acceleration is compared to stock, the bike would jerk when giving a bit of throttle. Heat seems less, but need to ride a bit more only rode about 20 miles or so. Things that I am unclear about First- on cold starts are the rpm sits right below 2[1.4] and stays there. After a quick ride when you shut the bike off and start it back it sits [1.1] - is this normal? Second- at low RPM the Torque/pull seems to be quite less at times I feel like I'm losing throttle- but haven't lost yet. When I picked the bike up it was snowing and I do not think the Ducati Tech had a chance to ride the bike around the parking lot- I'm not concerned but would like to know if these two issues are normal.

Moving to a different part of the bike- is there any instruction on how to remove the rear passager seat to install the seat cowl? I'd like to know if there are any Torque specs I need to look out for when replacing.

Cheers! folks cannot wait to ride this beast more.

Attachments