Hypermotard 821 daily driver build

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
I must say, this has to be the best and most respectful Ducati forum out there. While other forums are out there talking shit and fighting amongst themselves, this community is sharing their passion and promoting each others builds. I must say, this community makes it more likely for people to share without the worry of being bashed and that is what helps grow the passion. Thank you guys/gals for such a great place to share what you are proud of.

That being said......CHECK THIS OUT!!! I get home from work Tuesday to find a surprise package at my door. What could it be....who could it be from..... AEM TITANIUM REAR WHEEL NUTS from none other than our very own BMW Alpina!! What a FANTASTIC surprise!! Thank you so much for these!

I live on mid Michigan and ride most of the year where it snows. This means salt and salt means rust. I'm the past my rear nuts have become rusty in spots. Later I tried 'gun blueing' them and this worked ....kind of. Later I switched to Ducabike aluminum ones but being that it's a street bike with almost 30,000 miles on it I am always uneasy with the nut that holds the wheel side. That's an awful lot of torque applied to an aluminum nut on a steel axle. These titanium nuts solve all my issues and I'm forever greatful for the surprise!

I need to put a new tire on and it has already arrived, Metzler M9RR (I absolutely love these tires. Been through a few sets of these and the M7rr's). This gives me the opportunity to install the titanium axle nuts, the titanium disc brake bolts (also from BMW Alpina a while back) and a fancy "forged" 90° valve stem from Bridgeport/Ariete .

Aside from these new pieces I have just been doing maintenance, tuning and sensor replacements while I chase down a stutter between 4-5k rpm.
2021-09-23_13.37.57.jpg20210922_181152_resize_60.jpg

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
this community is sharing their passion and promoting each others builds. I must say, this community makes it more likely for people to share without the worry of being bashed and that is what helps grow the passion.
Credit to Howard for creating a platform dedicated to that. Most of my mates don’t share an interest in carbon lever guards or aftermarket quickshifters so I can come and ramble here and have you lot put up with me 😂

Have you used the Metzeler roadtechs? How do you find the M9rr in the wet because the roadtech I started with on my tuono were no good in the wet at all. To be fair to the bike/tyres I did have traction control on a fairly low setting but I was getting a bit of wheelspin from stoplights + corners were a bit squirrelly.
Nice shiny new parts, always a good day when those find a new home!

Araitim

Staff member
Credit to Howard for creating a platform dedicated to that. Most of my mates don’t share an interest in carbon lever guards or aftermarket quickshifters so I can come and ramble here and have you lot put up with me 😂

Have you used the Metzeler roadtechs? How do you find the M9rr in the wet because the roadtech I started with on my tuono were no good in the wet at all. To be fair to the bike/tyres I did have traction control on a fairly low setting but I was getting a bit of wheelspin from stoplights + corners were a bit squirrelly.
Nice shiny new parts, always a good day when those find a new home!
They perform very well in the wet. The M7rr did too but those were on my supermotos with pretty low tire pressure compared to this bike. If there is puddles then I turn traction control on but if it's just wet I leave it in sport/race with no issues. Obviously I don't push the limits on the streets and definitely not in the rain on the streets but I'm pretty confident with the M9rr's.

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll check out the m9s next time I think. Won’t be far off, the back tyre squares off pretty quickly from all the long straight roads here and the *shit* wheelies I do hahah.

craig bush

I must say, this has to be the best and most respectful Ducati forum out there. While other forums are out there talking shit and fighting amongst themselves, this community is sharing their passion and promoting each others builds. I must say, this community makes it more likely for people to share without the worry of being bashed and that is what helps grow the passion. Thank you guys/gals for such a great place to share what you are proud of.
Couldn’t agree more. Well done Howard! 👊

… AEM TITANIUM REAR WHEEL NUTS from none other than our very own BMW Alpina!! What a FANTASTIC surprise!! Thank you so much for these!
@Araitim do I understand correctly that these were sent to you without prior discussion and without your expectation?

Araitim

Staff member
@Araitim do I understand correctly that these were sent to you without prior discussion and without your expectation?
[/QUOTE]
Howard asked me 'what is your address? I'm sending you a surprise gift'. I had no idea what was coming or when it was coming. Some time passed and I forgot about it and then it showed up. I was like a kid at Christmas.

Araitim

Staff member
I guess there are a couple things I have recently added. A while back I made internet friends with a man named Giuseppe Starace. Apparently he used to be on the research and development team for Ducati in Italy. He sends me pics of new ideas and a few trial stuff for me to check out. A while back he made a hand made carbon fiber intake for the hyper 821/939(I bought one) later he did a revision which is made of a 3d carbon print. And it felt like it made a bit of midrange difference. Now he developed velocity stacks for the 821/939. Ofcourse I have them on the bike (for months now) and they made a remarkable difference from 5k rpm all the way to the limiter. It pulls in the same way the bike would pull when I was running a -1 sprocket in the front but now I have the OEM gearing top speed as opposed to the lower top speed of the -1 gearing. Here are some pics and some side by side comparisons.

On a side note, a negative note the front injector seems like it's on its way out. I'll get a code of lean condition on front cylinder every now and then and the bike would sputter and pop. I'm now looking for a upgraded injector instead of replacing with oem.

I have reaced the throttle sending u it with the revision, both throtlebodies, cleaned the injectors under power on the bench and replaced the fuel pump and still have the front cylinder going lean and kicking on a CEL for a bit then gos away.
Screenshot_20210924-181246_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210924-170035_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210924-170022_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210924-181216_Chrome.jpg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Wow Araitim,
Those dimples in the velocity stack is amazing. I believe they will help reduce the turbulence is this correct ?.
It is the same concept as the B&W (now Bowers & Wilkins) used on their speaker ports 👍

Araitim

Staff member
Wow Araitim,
Those dimples in the velocity stack is amazing. I believe they will help reduce the turbulence is this correct ?.
It is the same concept as the B&W (now Bowers & Wilkins) used on their speaker ports 👍
Correct. They are supposed to help atomize the fuel and air. Some say it's BS while others say it's a worthwhile design. Similar argument of port n polished intake vs port n textured intake. I did a back to back trial(seat of the pants Dyno) of port n polis vs port n textured head on my old supermoto where I did the port n polish then later did the texture. Without changing the fuel I had a cleaner sparkplug with the texture. Giuseppe says he has a bunch of time with a few designs on a flow bench and that they do indeed have an impact.

Araitim

Staff member
Time for a new dry clutch basket on the 821 hyper. The clutch is a Kbike adjustable slipper with an aluminum basket. It lasted about 5k miles . It could still probably be used if I changed my stack pattern but I really wanted to try the Barnett basket with stainless steel inserts.

This design is said to last far longer than the aluminum baskets due to the stainless friction area. The stainless is also slightly bent. I can only assume that this is to act as a spring to cut down on the tab beating.

Two things to note, the Kbike and the Barnett weigh very close to the same weight. I find it odd since there is more steel on the Barnett. Second, the steel band that surrounds the Kbike basket Is extremely loose. I bet I could pop it off the basket if I wanted. When I got the basket it was tight.

It is shocking how close the tolerances are for the tab area of the Barnett basket. I was thinking that new plates might not fit but I was wrong. The new plates fit in perfectly.

The plates I went with are the same as the last ones I used, Newfren. They worked great in the past and are affordable. It is shocking how much quieter this new basket is. I'm running my open cover and it's quieter than my (almost) closed cover . I'm also happy to report that the nut I made is working well and holding up perfectly.
20211017_190608_resize_8.jpg20211017_133322_resize_43.jpg20211017_165458_resize_38.jpg20211017_165813_resize_61.jpg20211017_165643_resize_86.jpg20211012_175223_resize_24.jpg20211012_175202_resize_1.jpg

Araitim

Staff member
Haha who’s the interior designer, you or your wife? 😂

Thats awesome, curious they managed to keep weight similar with a sturdier construction. Looking forward to your review once you’ve put a few hundred miles on it.
🤣 Yes the wife does all the designing. I was like "you sure you want it to say that? Well ok, I'll build it". LOL

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hi Araitim,

That Barnett clutch basket with stainless steel insert is a great solution for longer wear. Love it and it looks nicer too 🤩 :love:
By the way, Perfect timing to talk about Clutch, I will send you a PM soon so we both can have some more "modified" clutch ;)

Araitim

Staff member
Time for an update.
So. My bike is a 2013, thw forst year of the redesign. Most know that you shouldn't buy the first year of any new vehicle since there are bound to be issues that need ironed out. The 2013 is no exception. Over the years I have chopped into the main wiring harness as I was chasing certain issues. Every time I found things like ground cluster crimps not fully Tibet and wires pulled out. I decided to swap harnesses to to a 2015 harness. Might not seem like much but if it helps resolve some issues then I'm doing it.

Next, HEL branched out from their traditional high quality braided brake lines into the billet caliper world. Although I'm not keen on replacing the front brembo one piece calipers In favor of their 2 piece design I am keen on swapping the rear. One added mechanical bonus, they put the bleed nipple at the top where it should be for these bikes.

Next up, quick shifter. My old QS was an add on module for Rapidbike. It worked good at first but as time went on it became too sporadic. After working with Yamen(RB tech) as well as replacing the load cell I find it is less expensive to swap to a Cordona stand alone unit rather than having to buy somany pair of underwear after the QS activated mid turn while riding aggressively. Things to note. The RB QS operates on the fuel side of the system. Cordona operates on the ignition side of everything. I read that ignition side is the optimal way to go. It is definitely quicker but I am still tuning . In order to fit thw added QS module I needed to free up some room. After a long time researching I ended up deciding on Ultrabatt. It was going to be either Ultrabatt or Speed Cell. Ultrabatt is only 1in thick. This works out perfect. Now the RB tuner and that battery can share the battery box along with a piece of insulating foam.

Last but not least, Atlas throtle lock cruise control. I have tried all the others (except koako) and have not been happy. Forst impression....it's pretty good. A little awkward to activate right now but I'll figure it out eventually.

Soon to come, a friend named Giuseppe Starace (an ex R&D guy from Ducati race team in Italy) has something coming out soon that he wants me to use and review. I can't say what it is but if it does what he/the numbers claim I will be extremely happy.Compress_20220512_054949_9170.jpgCompress_20220512_054949_9968.jpgCompress_20220512_054949_9844.jpgCompress_20220512_054949_9434.jpgCompress_20220512_054949_9583.jpgCompress_20220512_054949_9333.jpg