Hey Everyone !

I’m back on the saddle after about 25 years of not riding. I took several weeks looking into many motos’ seating positions, fairings, suspension, and reviews. I liked the Ducati ST4s, so I bought a 2002 model.

I chose the ST4 because of the sport seating position that isn’t too lateral (like a race model) & because of the fairings that are good for aerodynamics & efficiency — really important since I planned to convert it to an electric motorcycle & it would maximize my range. And I chose the ‘s’ model because it has the upgraded suspension & ABS brakes.

I want to make my moto more aerodynamic, because I don't think they're aerodynamic enough.

The plan:
  • modify it’s seat to lower my center of gravity to be more within it’s center of gravity — I love cornering & riding the twisties — & to improve aerodynamics
  • modify fairings, windshield, & fenders to improve aerodynamics
  • convert powertrain to electric
My friend had given me a small spot to keep it in, at his home-speaker shop. So, I began my project & I removed the fairings, exhaust, tank, air box, engine, chain, & headlight assembly, and all other gas related parts. I got an electric motor, motor controller, throttle with a potentiometer, & a few other misc. parts for the electric conversion. While I was searching for a battery pack, my friend’s business expanded (I guess due to more people staying home because of the pandemic) & he needed the space he’d given me to keep my Ducati in. So, since I don’t have any other place to keep it in while I work on it, I had to sell it. Bummmer.

So, I shifted gears & bought a used Zero S that I’ll modify in the same way I was going to modify the Ducati for aerodynamics & efficiency — the Zero’s are not aerodynamic. Now, after carving up some canyons I've decided to go with a bit more of a racing position. I’m considering the :
  • Ducati 2003-2007 749 top fairing
  • Ducati 2007-2014 848 top fairing
  • Ducati 1996-2003 ST4 full fairings
  • Honda CBR1100XX full fairings

Have any of you combined different models’ fairings or have any fairing modification experience & pics ?

Do any of you have any of these fairings that you’d want to sell ? Any condition considered, since I’ll be modifying them.

Or do you know of anyone who does ?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Bonzo

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Gday Bonzo, shame about having to lose the ST4. I really like your idea of mixing & matching fairings to come up with something that suits your purpose, I've often wondered why things like that don't happen more often (supposedly Bugatti Veyron body panels bolt up fairly easily to certain Audi R8 models lol..? 🤷‍♂️) Not necessarily that conversion exactly but I was thinking with the new wide body V4 Panigales that would have given someone the inspiration for a modified wider/winged fairing set for the previous 1X99 models. Wouldn't mind trying that out if I had the means, only to satisfy my own curiosity. Anyway sorry I can't help with any parts beside a left lower panigale fairing but good luck with the custom job I hope you can work out a way to get the result you're after. :cool:

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I’m back on the saddle after about 25 years of not riding. I took several weeks looking into many motos’ seating positions, fairings, suspension, and reviews. I liked the Ducati ST4s, so I bought a 2002 model.

I chose the ST4 because of the sport seating position that isn’t too lateral (like a race model) & because of the fairings that are good for aerodynamics & efficiency — really important since I planned to convert it to an electric motorcycle & it would maximize my range. And I chose the ‘s’ model because it has the upgraded suspension & ABS brakes.

I want to make my moto more aerodynamic, because I don't think they're aerodynamic enough.

The plan:
  • modify it’s seat to lower my center of gravity to be more within it’s center of gravity — I love cornering & riding the twisties — & to improve aerodynamics
  • modify fairings, windshield, & fenders to improve aerodynamics
  • convert powertrain to electric
My friend had given me a small spot to keep it in, at his home-speaker shop. So, I began my project & I removed the fairings, exhaust, tank, air box, engine, chain, & headlight assembly, and all other gas related parts. I got an electric motor, motor controller, throttle with a potentiometer, & a few other misc. parts for the electric conversion. While I was searching for a battery pack, my friend’s business expanded (I guess due to more people staying home because of the pandemic) & he needed the space he’d given me to keep my Ducati in. So, since I don’t have any other place to keep it in while I work on it, I had to sell it. Bummmer.

So, I shifted gears & bought a used Zero S that I’ll modify in the same way I was going to modify the Ducati for aerodynamics & efficiency — the Zero’s are not aerodynamic. Now, after carving up some canyons I've decided to go with a bit more of a racing position. I’m considering the :
  • Ducati 2003-2007 749 top fairing
  • Ducati 2007-2014 848 top fairing
  • Ducati 1996-2003 ST4 full fairings
  • Honda CBR1100XX full fairings

Have any of you combined different models’ fairings or have any fairing modification experience & pics ?

Do any of you have any of these fairings that you’d want to sell ? Any condition considered, since I’ll be modifying them.

Or do you know of anyone who does ?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Bonzo
Hello Bonzo,

Welcome to the forum and I believe, it will be best to choose the largest fairings from the 4 fairings selection above, just so you can have more space for the fairings bracket.

If you decide to use a Ducati fairing, I found this facebook group that is for selling not just bike but also parts (and in many case, use fairings): Ducati Superbike 748/916/996/998 BUY/SELL/TRADE
You might be able to find some used fairings there, or of course eBay. There are many low cost China made brand new fairings on eBay which you can use for your project (if you are open to the idea of using NON original Ducati fairings).

Either way, please kindly post your build experience on this forum so we can learn too. Actually, I was thinking similar ideas of using a Ducati 999 as the frame but with 998 style fairings 😁

Gday Bonzo, shame about having to lose the ST4. I really like your idea of mixing & matching fairings to come up with something that suits your purpose, I've often wondered why things like that don't happen more often (supposedly Bugatti Veyron body panels bolt up fairly easily to certain Audi R8 models lol..? 🤷‍♂️) Not necessarily that conversion exactly but I was thinking with the new wide body V4 Panigales that would have given someone the inspiration for a modified wider/winged fairing set for the previous 1X99 models. Wouldn't mind trying that out if I had the means, only to satisfy my own curiosity. Anyway sorry I can't help with any parts beside a left lower panigale fairing but good luck with the custom job I hope you can work out a way to get the result you're after. :cool:
Hi Andy7,
Maybe not many people customizing their fairings like this because it's probably not easy, but I'm gonna give it a shot, I'd like to make my moto more aerodynamic — manufacturers drop the ball on this. 🤨
And hopefully do it for others, if all goes well. Thanks !

Hello Bonzo,

Welcome to the forum and I believe, it will be best to choose the largest fairings from the 4 fairings selection above, just so you can have more space for the fairings bracket.

If you decide to use a Ducati fairing, I found this facebook group that is for selling not just bike but also parts (and in many case, use fairings): Ducati Superbike 748/916/996/998 BUY/SELL/TRADE
You might be able to find some used fairings there, or of course eBay. There are many low cost China made brand new fairings on eBay which you can use for your project (if you are open to the idea of using NON original Ducati fairings).

Either way, please kindly post your build experience on this forum so we can learn too. Actually, I was thinking similar ideas of using a Ducati 999 as the frame but with 998 style fairings 😁
Hi BMW Alpina,

Thanks for the link to that Facebook group !

Yeah, I agree about the brackets. Also because I want the fairing to shed the air around me & not let me be a drag in the wind — the wider fairings would be more apt to do that. I'll need to modify any that I get, because I haven't seen any out there that shed air around the rider's feet. I'll need to look into racing fairings as they may be more aerodynamic in these ways.
Do you know where I may find inexpensive racing fairings ?

Sure I'll post my mod. I thought since my moto isn't a Ducati now, that you guys might not want me on here or care about it. Thanks for being cool about that. Now I just have to find the time and place to work in.
1626917292444.png

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hi BMW Alpina,

Thanks for the link to that Facebook group !

Yeah, I agree about the brackets. Also because I want the fairing to shed the air around me & not let me be a drag in the wind — the wider fairings would be more apt to do that. I'll need to modify any that I get, because I haven't seen any out there that shed air around the rider's feet. I'll need to look into racing fairings as they may be more aerodynamic in these ways.
Do you know where I may find inexpensive racing fairings ?

Sure I'll post my mod. I thought since my moto isn't a Ducati now, that you guys might not want me on here or care about it. Thanks for being cool about that. Now I just have to find the time and place to work in.
View attachment 5064
Hi Bonzo Carving Canyons,
Sorry for the late reply, I am currently in the middle of another career change (for the better of course), so quite busy with it. 😇
Regarding, low cost fairings,
I think Eastern Europe should be an area where they made great quality product at lower cost like this company for example: DUCATI – BIKESPLAST
If you want an even lower cost, then it is best to look at source in the South East Asia countries like Thailand or Indonesia. They have a lot of local fabricator that can custom made your own design using fiberglass.
You need to google them and better to use google chrome since it has build it translator because sometime their website might be in local language.
Happy hunting 😀