Help, what is this paste on the starter motor terminal?

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone,

From the Ducati service manual and spare parts catalog,, I found out that up to 2019 model, Ducati used to have a metal headshield covering the starter motor right behind the front exhaust manifold.
But on my 2020 bike it does not come with any heat shield on the starter motor.

However, I found out that the electric wire terminal on my starter motor was covered with some kind of protective white/cream colored paste (still in paste and not solid form when you touch it).
Does anyone here knew what kind of paste is this? the manufacturer and type of the paste? it almost like some of those cream soap sold in Asian countries.
Below is the picture of the paste:
IMG_9350.JPG

DucatiKev

FOUNDING Member
I feel like after even 100 miles, that “stuff” would be totally black covered in filth. I definitely think you could clean it up and make it look presentable like the work of a doctor instead of looking like a toddler emptied the whole tube on it.
Keep us posted on this, very interesting

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I feel like after even 100 miles, that “stuff” would be totally black covered in filth. I definitely think you could clean it up and make it look presentable like the work of a doctor instead of looking like a toddler emptied the whole tube on it.
Keep us posted on this, very interesting
I actually revert back to the pre 2019 model solution which is a full heat shield covering the starter motor instead of a silver layer of thin heat wrap hold with 2 tie lock.
I ordered the part from Ducati Omaha yesterday. Another reason is because if I somehow decided to buy a NON Ducati Akrapovic exhaust system in the future,
most likely they will not came with any head shield on the exhaust manifold so the starter motor will be exposed to intense heat.