Ducati Panigale V4, V4S, V4SP2, V4R Gas boiling issue.

Eugenio63

Hi to all, first time posting, i'm a 2023 V4 owner, i'm italian and i live in USA. My motorcycle is affected by the gas boiling issue, today i discovered that Ducati introduced a solution/mitigation for the problem on model year 2024.

THERMO-REFLECTING PROTECTION:

POS 35 part # 4601G941A QTY 1 price 40.63 USD
POS 36 part # 4601G951A QTY 1 price 40.63 USD
POS 37 part # 4601G961A QTY 1 price 40.63 USD

Attachments

bp_SFV4

Awesome find! I ordered a set. I'll trace them onto some paper so I have the exact pattern. If I can find some insulated sheets I'll make spares.

Last edited:

Eugenio63

In my opinion Ducati should give these parts for free to every v4/street-fighter owner, they know about the issue and to fix it they did a design change, but will never happen...

bp_SFV4

Eh. It's a gas tank on top of a 200+ HP 1103cc engine. Heat is always going to be a problem. I think a better design may be a larger radiator and oil cooler.

I had a conversation with a good friend who has an engineering background and he said automotive engineering is all about meeting government requirements. All of the issues I've encountered with the Panigale were directly related to that. Everything is a compromise to meet emission and noise rules. The majority of the issues with the platform can be resolved with a full exhaust w/ EVAP & SAI delete, tune and a racing style gas cap. I wish Ducati would make a track only bike that didn't have to meet homologation requirements and was pure design.

Eugenio63

I worked in the automotive industry for 20 years and I can't agree more, I would add that cost engineering play a good role in the design phase trying to save every penny leaving the final costumer somewhat disappointed.

Eugenio63

Update about the topic, yesterday i reported the issue to the "National Highway Traffic Safety Administration" explaining the fuel boiling issue and telling them that Ducati introduced a design change to mitigate/solve the problem. In my opinion a 25K motorcycle should be trouble free and the manufacturer should also take action and open a recall campaign. So i invite the V4 Panigale owners to report it to NHTSA to tell Ducati that they have an issue and they need to take action.

Here is the answer from the inspector:
Hello Eugenio Andrea Esposito,
I am the investigator looking into your issue on your 2023 DUCATI PANIGALE with the fuel getting hot and boiling. I also was able to open the link you provided showing the gas boiling in the tank. I appreciate that. I have some questions below,
Will please give me permission to share your VIN with DUCATI, it will make this easier for them to assist us with this matter?
If you are aware of other riders that are having this same issue as you, please encourage them to report to NHTSA as you did, we are data driven and the more people reporting will make things easier to show DUCATI they are having an issue. Complaining and exchanging ideas on a blog site is hard to track especially without VINs or names and not an allies.

1. Are you the original owner?
  2. What modifications if any are done to the motorcycle?
  3. When you contacted DUCATI what did they say?

Thank you,

Santiago

Santiago Maldonado
Office Of Defects Investigation

Safety Defects Investigator
Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590
Office: 202-366-7232
W45-117

bp_SFV4

I was going to post this info on the Ducati forum but I didn't want to take credit for your find. Should you make a post there, I'm sure you'd get a lot more riders.

Are you reporting it as a vehicle safety problem from this link?

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
The Teknofibra Fuel tank kit is what I have and
it’s amazing. I had the gas boiling issue as well. It eliminated it and now I can grip the tank with my legs without it burning.
I highly recommend.

Eugenio63

Thank for your feedback about the Teknofibra insulation mat.
The purpose of the post is to let people know that Ducati acknowledged the issue and they implemented a solution, and to be fair with their customers they should fix the problem on older motorcycles as well, or at least give a discount on the new parts. Am i too optimistic? I would say yes.
And i know that someone will think, if you can't afford 185 USD for the teknofibra...why you bought an expensive motorcycle.
I can afford it but is a matter of principle, every dollar i spent to buy the motorcycle was defect free, and feedbacks are in some way helpful to design a better product in the future.
Not fighting with anybody, please understand that english is my third language and i still think in italian, and i know that what i write could be misinterpreted.