Discussion about Ohlins Fork, Rear Shock and Steering Damper upgrade for Panigale V4

JHTmcrider

Rear shock (Ohlins DU468) on order. Hopefully that comes in quick and Brad can get some NIX-30 fork cartridges in as well. Also, I hope the new one comes with the remote pre-load adjuster as well.

JHTmcrider

As I posted on the other forum, I was able to make contact with Brad@motionSBK and he hooked me up with a new DU468 TTX Rear Shock for the V4S. Big thanks to the folks that recommended Brad!

Evidently the FGRT Forks are on a back-order and I will have to wait for them to show potentially in July or August. I picked up the BSD emulators so I can not have error lights on the dash.

This certainly is the way to go to have the adjust-ability and smoothness that the electric stuff just doesn't do.

Monsta

This past few months I had been researching on Ohlins Forks, Rear Shocks and Steering Damper upgrade for various model of Ducati Panigale V4 and this is what I found so far.

Base Panigale V4:
The base Panigale V4 came standard with Ø 43 mm Showa BPF Front Forks and the most economical upgrade Ohlins Fork upgrade is FGRT 214 (part of FGRT200 Family) Hypersport R&T 43 Fork for 2019 Ducati Panigale V4 - length: 29 inches (740 mm), list price $2,500
Hypersport R&T 43 Fork (FGRT 214) | Öhlins USA

The base Panigale V4 came standard with Sachs mono-shock and the only bolt on Ohlins rear shock upgrade available is the DU 468 Hypersport TTX GP Shock (T36PR1C1LS), list price $1,400
Hypersport TTX GP Shock (DU 468) | Öhlins USA

The base Panigale V4 came standard with Sachs steering damper and the only bolt on Ohlins steering damper upgrade available is SD 040 Hypersport Steering Damper, list price $425
Hypersport Steering Damper (SD 040) | Öhlins USA

The Panigale V4S, V4SCorse, V4Speciale and V4 25° Anniversario 916 all have the same Electronically Control (EC) Ohlins Suspension and Steering Damper, so I am going to class them as V4S.
While the Panigale V4R came with NON Electronically Control (EC) Ohlins Suspension and Steering Damper.
However both V4S and V4R have the same upgrade path, and this higher end upgrade can also be applied to the base V4.

The most economical Front Fork upgrade for both Panigale V4S and V4R would be the Ohlins FGR 250 Hypersport Superbike Fork length: 770mm - 30mm inches, list price $5,000
Note, that this fork are NON EC which means you actually lost the adjustability of the stock V4S fork but gain better on track at the limit performance.
The most interesting features is the spring pressurized cartridge system unlike in the more expensive but older FGR 300.
The dimension of the FGR250 is exactly the same as the FGR 300 which I will discuss after this.
The "WORST" feature of the Ohlins FGR 250 is the fact that Ohlins classified this as designed for racing use only and "recommended" that the fork need to be "service & maintain" after ONLY 20 hours of use !!!
Cosmetically, it looks very close to the stock V4S Ohlins fork. The main cosmetic differences is the fork bottom of the FGR 250 were billet/cnc while the stock V4S Ohlins fork bottom is cast.

The next step in Front Fork upgrade for both Panigale V4S and V4R would be the Ohlins FGR 300 Hypersport Superbike Fork length: 750mm - 30mm inches, list price $10,000
(make sure you buy the FGR300 and not the same spec but longer length FGR301 which have 770mm in length, I mean you can fit it, but it's just a bit too long)
Note, that this fork are NON EC which means you actually lost the adjustability of the stock V4S fork but gain better on track at the limit performance.
However this FGR 300 had been around since 2015 (or 2016) and it is still based on the TTX25 front fork cartridge kit which means it doesn't have the spring pressurized cartridge system like the lower price but newer FGR 250 above.
Just like the FGR 250, the "WORST" feature of the Ohlins FGR 300 is the fact that Ohlins classified this as designed for racing use only and "recommended" that the fork need to be "service & maintain" after ONLY 20 hours of use !!!
However, unlike the FGR 250, the FGR 300 look the part due to the extra reservoir tube and adjustment screw at the bottom of the fork. I mean it is just GORGEOUS that it almost worth it to deal with the 20 hours service interval !!!
I also notice the list price of the FGR 300 had recently been lowered from $11,875 to just $10,000 recently. This must be due to drop in sales since this fork had been around from 2015 and most likely replacement is due soon.

Now before you rush and place an order for the FGR 250 or FGR 300, please note that you will need a new upper triple clamp, new handle bar and new lower clamp (for the Panigale V4).
The lower clamp for the Panigale V4S and V4R can be reuse because the fork diameter around the lower triple clamp area is the same 58mm for the FGR 250/300 just like the stock Ohlins fork of V4S and V4R.
However the upper triple clamp and handlebar diameter for the stock Ohlins from V4S and V4R were 53mm while the diameter for the FGR250/300 is actually smaller at 52mm. So you will need to purchase a new handlebar and upper triple clamp.

You also need to custom machined a different front axle since the front axle diameter of the FGR 250 and FGR 300 is also smaller than the stock Ohlins, machined front axle spacer plus you need to machined custom bracket for ABS sensor and your front fender.
Not too hard to do if you are willing to do careful measurement, make a napkin drawing and pay extra for your CNC machine shop to transfer it into their CAD drawing. (or in my case, I can ask my younger son to create the CAD drawing for me 😁)

Oh, don't forget you need a different brake caliper with 108mm bolt spacing, brake caliper spacer (and bolts), plus most likely spacer and longer bolts for the brake rotor. Your stock Brembo Stylema caliper use 100mm bolt spacing.

Again, WHENEVER THERE IS A WILL, THERE WILL BE A WAY.

The upgrade path for the rear Ohlins shock absorber for both V4S and V4R is the same as the Base Panigale V4 and it will be NON EC Ohlins DU 468 Hypersport TTX GP Shock (T36PR1C1LS), list price $1,400
Hypersport TTX GP Shock (DU 468) | Öhlins USA

and no need to upgrade the stock Ohlins Steering Damper on both the Panigale V4S and V4R unless you want a BLACK anodized version just for cosmetic looks.

Finally the highest upgrade that is kinda hard to get but not impossible to buy is the Ohlins Full Blown WSBK model RVP25, list price over 19,000 Euro.
It looks like an FGR250 but if you really need that last few seconds on the track then 😇

Maybe a new replacement model of the FGR 300 with spring pressurized cartridge system will be available, but I wonder if that is the case, there is no needs for that extra tube reservoir at the bottom of the fork anymore, well I guess we just have to wait :sleep:

in the meantime, please enjoy the pictures of both the FGR 250 and FGR 300.

FGR250:
View attachment 1221View attachment 1222View attachment 1223View attachment 1224View attachment 1225

FGR300:
View attachment 1226View attachment 1227View attachment 1228View attachment 1229View attachment 1230View attachment 1231View attachment 1232
View attachment 1234View attachment 1235View attachment 1236View attachment 1237
I’m actually thinking of buying a 1299 and making it into a naked. I love this bike above.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Results are slim on cycle trader so far. Ideally I will grab a 2017 1299s. With under 4-5k miles decently equipped. So far The 1299 final edition AKRAPOVICH under tail style exhaust is what I had in mind.
1299 Final Edition was one of the bike I really consider before I purchase my Panigale V4, love the Akrapovic and I am sure it will be a great base for your naked 1299 bike project.

JHTmcrider

Got the forks mounted up but now I can't seem to use the steering dampener remote mount for the front. I picked up a 53mm bracket and it wont clamp onto the fork tubes. Really weird.

I've ordered a new one and meanwhile I will find some real thin aluminum to make up the 1mm or so needed to get the bracket to hold tight on the tube. I have a track day coming up in mid-September and hope to have all the bugs worked out with the front end by then. Next up is to finalize the front ride height and sag numbers.

Here is a pic of the old fork and you can see the clamp below the clip-on used to mount the steering dampener. Guess I could have gone with the side mount option but again more work and money too close to track day.

bp_SFV4

Got the forks mounted up but now I can't seem to use the steering dampener remote mount for the front. I picked up a 53mm bracket and it wont clamp onto the fork tubes. Really weird.

I've ordered a new one and meanwhile I will find some real thin aluminum to make up the 1mm or so needed to get the bracket to hold tight on the tube. I have a track day coming up in mid-September and hope to have all the bugs worked out with the front end by then. Next up is to finalize the front ride height and sag numbers.

Here is a pic of the old fork and you can see the clamp below the clip-on used to mount the steering dampener. Guess I could have gone with the side mount option but again more work and money too close to track day.
I had a problem were I had roughly 40mm of space to mount the Woodcraft bar holder and damper adapter but needed around 49mm. I exchanged a few emails with the owner of Woodcraft and they now supply aluminium spacers so the damper adapter will fit tightly on the lower section of the fork which is a smaller diameter.

1693309394263.png

1693309414544.png

JHTmcrider

Thanks for the heads up I ordered a bracket from Woodcraft but forgot to mention the diameter issue. But I noticed on their site that they have some metal shims that will take up the difference. Now I feel a bit better about the situation except I don't want the forks to get dinged up, so I'll probably coat them in that rubberized plastic dip or paint.

Now I have a few brackets to mess with an another option I guess is I could file down the mating surfaces on the split bracket to reduce the circumference.

bp_SFV4

Yeah, the metal shims are the fix they developed after I contacted them. By "contacted," I mean I left a slightly negative review and the owner emailed me direct and we went back and forth a bunch. Those pics are what I sent him during our exchange. 100% on the customer service.

Being aluminium, I don't think they'd be a risk to the fork finish which is much harder. The shims are likely much softer than the anodized aluminium surfaces of the bracket. I suppose the shims are good as you could adjust the forks up and down and use them or not use them as you'd see fit. I thought maybe a more simple solution would be to reduce the height in both the clip-on holder and damper bracket, but I can see the reason for keeping them as they are; clamping force.

As a side note, CNC Racing's clip ons are a more elegant solution, but the damper bracket is too short; the measurement from the fork OD to center of the bolt for the damper is too short. So if the front wheel is straight, the steering damper will be at a slight angle. It was too much for my OCD.

JHTmcrider

^ Thanks for the good information! I ordered a Ducabike or Attack Racing clamp a while back and was using on my OEM Ohlins forks:

My steering dampener was also crooked and was driving me bat shit crazy!

However now I have the clamp with the aluminum shims in place and it's not so angled.

Not a lot of wiggle room in there and working on this end of the bike really gets on my nerves, I guess my hands are too big?

Got the forks in and I'll probably have to lower them a little bit before I head to the track. I certainly like the looks of the FGRT forks over the OEM forks.

bp_SFV4

That looks very similar to the CNC racing one. For the xx99 bikes, it would likely line up perfectly. On the V4, not so much.

1693710654159.png