Clip-ons

Apuca

Hey everyone,
I am currently on the market for some new clip-ons for the V4S (original ohlins forks) and I’m leaning towards Melotti since I have the melotti top triple.

70% track use
30% road use

Recommendations, justification and some visuals would be awesome…

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
There are several people that have the IMA Clipons including myself. I'm sure they will chime in because I haven't installed mine yet. The Melotti clipons look great they werent released yet when I bought the IMA.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone,
I am currently on the market for some new clip-ons for the V4S (original ohlins forks) and I’m leaning towards Melotti since I have the melotti top triple.

70% track use
30% road use

Recommendations, justification and some visuals would be awesome…
Hello Apuca,

Like you, I also have the Melotti top upper triple clamp.

And The Melotti Racing Clip On looks super gorgeous and I was about to buy it to fit my upper triple clamp perfectly.
Beside Diego Melotti, the owner of Melotti Racing is also our forum official vendor and I always received world class service from everyone at Melotti. (And I am sure they also do the same for every other customers too).
However, the Melotti Racing Clip On does not have the provision to mount the Ohlins stock steering damper, so you will need to buy the Melotti Racing side/fork leg Ohlins racing steering damper bracket at attached it to your frame.
I did not buy it only because of this reason, since I don't think the side mounted Ohlins damper can fit my bike with narrow (2019 style) fairing (but someone please correct me if I am wrong on this).

Acutally, I believe our member @MaverickiB successfully install a side mounted Ohlins steering damper on his track bike although maybe using different mounting bracket or wider fairing?

Here is Melotti racing bracket with Ohlins steering damper side mounted complete as a kit (you can also buy just the bracket without the Ohlins steering damper):
KIT MONTAGGIO AMMORTIZZATORE DI STERZO LATERALE PANIGALE V4 – COMPLETO DI AMMORTIZZATORE OHLINS | Melotti Racing

1644522181130.png
and with Barni racing team logo (you can always order your own custom laser marking with Melotti Racing 😍):
1644522536095.png

MaverickiB

I didn't use that side mount, but my setup is very similar. Using a side mounted damper requires a few things.

1. Removal of the secondary coolant expansion tank.
2. Removal of a clamp that wraps around the coolant hose that runs behind the frame. (This is where the damper bolts on the frame).
3. A longer stroke damper. I believe mine is 320mm stroke and is barely enough WITH spider steering stop protectors (reduces turning radius slightly, not an issue for a track machine). You would need at least a 330mm stroke damper to work with without steering stops.

It's definitely possible and doesn't require any arduous work, but isn't really an option for a road going machine unless you want to be making multiple point turns in parking lots.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I didn't use that side mount, but my setup is very similar. Using a side mounted damper requires a few things.

1. Removal of the secondary coolant expansion tank.
2. Removal of a clamp that wraps around the coolant hose that runs behind the frame. (This is where the damper bolts on the frame).
3. A longer stroke damper. I believe mine is 320mm stroke and is barely enough WITH spider steering stop protectors (reduces turning radius slightly, not an issue for a track machine). You would need at least a 330mm stroke damper to work with without steering stops.

It's definitely possible and doesn't require any arduous work, but isn't really an option for a road going machine unless you want to be making multiple point turns in parking lots.
Thanks MaverickiB,
May I know why Ducati add a secondary coolant expansion tank? Because I never see the left side on my bike filled with any liquid. Aren't just 1 tank on the right side is enough?

Jrkk

Right tank leaks liquid when hot, so rather to another tank than ground. I have seen it in my machine.

Don't know for sure, but right tank has two different level marks. If you check level from inside fairing hole it's significant higher than label marked under right fairing.

I belive inside marks are right, cos then liquid is high enough to flow back to the radiator.
Label mark on right side is ridiculously low.

MaverickiB

Thanks MaverickiB,
May I know why Ducati add a secondary coolant expansion tank? Because I never see the left side on my bike filled with any liquid. Aren't just 1 tank on the right side is enough?
The second cooling tank was a recall/TSB very early on. My V4 did not come with one, but they put it on there at my 600 mile service I believe. I have never seen fluid inside of it. If coolant levels are correct, I have a hard time believing the fluid can make it into the secondary tank unless there's something wrong with the bike.

When the V4 first launched, Ducati was very, very nervous about it being successful. I imagine someone overfilled their coolant levels at home and blamed it on the dealer/manufacturer when it started spilling out. It wouldn't surprise me if Ducati circa 2018 would be willing to issue a TSB for a problem just one bike suffered from. A radiator fan got stuck on mine and they pulled a fan from a bike on the production line, overnighted it from Italy (I was in Washington state) and begged me to not complain about it. Pretty interesting initial ownership experience.