2023 Bayliss Bonanza

betabit

Thanks for the add! I picked up a Bayliss V2 about a month ago and found this forum yesterday. The plan is to de-Bayliss the bike since I bought it more for the suspension bits than the livery. Track fairings are on but I’ve got a white panigale fuel tank on the way and bonamici top clamp, case savers, and clip-ons inbound. There are a whole handful of other things that I intend on swapping out eventually but I’m trying to be thoughtful and not too hasty. I’m not at home but as soon as I get back I’ll toss some pics up.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum betabit, we all can't wait to follow (and learn) from your journey of de-Bayliss ing your Bayliss V2 (y) 🤩

betabit

Alrighty, here goes:
915DD072-A351-4FDB-A779-2EF3955F1560.jpeg

Futurismoto LED turn signals
4EB84DC8-1A37-4BDF-B1B4-58E2164BDF1B.jpeg

Futurismoto Tail Tidy
AAF41952-D496-4233-BF90-660284E75868.jpeg

Lever Guards + CRG Arrow Mirrors
CA4E0357-0D33-4698-82F1-972168289B53.jpeg

Track Fairing Finish
7ACECBDA-DDAF-48B6-81E4-67FB7265C7C4.jpeg
Some forged and plain weave carbon pieces are on the way this week as is the top clamp. Ordered the Akra full system and DDA from Omnia Racing as well but who knows when that will get here.

I’m also contemplating a dry clutch conversion as this bike will primarily serve track duty with some occasional canyon riding.

We’ve entered the rainy season here in Oregon and I haven’t hit 600 miles yet for the first service so hopefully I’ll get some clear weather to flog this thing around a bit.

The overall approach here is to have the primary colors be black, white, and silver. I have some ideas floating around in my head to paint the fairings a light cream matte color with a bright white number circle on the big fairing. I’m also considering doing a custom painting thing. I’ve hooked up a projector to my iPad and have been playing around with “painting” directly on the fairing with some mixed results so far.

betabit

Didn’t take long to start ripping everything apart. Bonamici case savers and top clamp are installed along with some forged carbon fiber from RPM Carbon (subframe and tail cover) and V4evo (front and rear mudguard and swingarm bits). The RPM Carbon was stated as matte but it’s definitely got more of a satin finish and is slightly warmer. The V4evo stuff is what I expect from matte and is a bit cooler.

The tank and fairings are staying loose until I get the DDA and Akrapovic system installed though we will see if my patience lasts that long. Omnia Racing has been good about shipping things quickly but I think the exhaust is in back order currently.

I still haven’t found which rear sets I’m going with but the ones from Motocorse seem like a good candidate.

C30A9B81-DCCE-4B05-B755-824F798CFAA9.jpeg
96468F42-875B-4F09-B8AA-F2FC1FE23670.jpeg
DFA46966-69A1-42C7-86B8-87244A30B4BF.jpeg
F9DF43D5-2756-4DE9-8BF5-F2CA1F95D996.jpeg
E9A85BF8-9DCB-4942-9160-4FA5D47EAF15.jpeg
F0F0E146-929E-4630-9873-27A441111364.jpeg

betabit

What a couple months will do. Feels like I didn't really get around to much. Installed the OEM taller smoke windscreen, the Akra full system, got 600 mile service, and have basically been spending all my free time drafting up design ideas for it. I've settled on a color scheme of cream, black, and copper. Now to figure out how to make it all work and learn how to wrap.

IMG_0427.jpgIMG_0265.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0022.JPGIMG_0021.JPG5BB54CF3-39E4-4873-AE84-9973F752FC0C.jpgEBB6341A-82EC-43D4-AEAD-CE4BFCBE2AA2.JPG
IMG_0024.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0022.JPGIMG_0021.JPG5BB54CF3-39E4-4873-AE84-9973F752FC0C.jpgEBB6341A-82EC-43D4-AEAD-CE4BFCBE2AA2.JPGIMG_0427.jpgIMG_0265.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0022.JPGIMG_0021.JPG5BB54CF3-39E4-4873-AE84-9973F752FC0C.jpgEBB6341A-82EC-43D4-AEAD-CE4BFCBE2AA2.JPGIMG_0427.jpgIMG_0265.JPG

betabit

Little bits and pieces here and there. Some black Ti bolts for the handlbar and topclamp.

I had hoped to install some full six carbon fiber brackets for the reservoirs but it turns out that the master cylinders on the V2 are different than the 1199/1299 that the brackets were made for. Considering I'm eyeing an upgrade to corsa cortas and possibly new calipers I'm not too worried about it. The first question of course is which calipers to go with. Stylema's seem like a no brainer but I'm also considering M4s or M50s as they're half as much and likely well enough suited for this class of bike. The crazy part of me thinks "hey, stylema's are $900, why not just go up to the GP4RX for $1400". I've also asked my local dealer about the availability of Stylema R's but as near as I can tell those are only offered on the V4R and aren't available standalone yet.

I'll need to make a decison on the caliper before figuring out which MC to go with but it will be something of the RCS variety. It's possible that the Corsa Corta RR will be released by the time I make a move on all of that stuff but I have no idea how much those will cost. Additionally, given the clearance issues I've encounted due to the handle bars I might have some challenges getting a good setup for the reservoirs.

For the RCS I see that AEM Factory and Motocorse make units that attach directly to the MC. Seems like they'll have enough clearance but it's hard to say without knowing exact dimensions. I'm a bit skittish on these reservoirs under track use and if they'll hold up to the task. Vibration is the biggest concern and I've seen elsewhere that the recommendation from Motocorse is to frequently check the tightness of the joining bolt but that means dipping a wrench into the brake fluid which sounds like a recipe for contaminants and all too frequent exposure to air which increases the opportunity for moisture to find it's way into the brake system.

I've also considered using the brembo bracket+reservoir kit. The challenge here is that, near as I can tell, only the brake side bracket is offered in Satin Black (and apparently only from Omnia Racing) and I'm trying to get as much black as I can into the cockpit. If it comes to it, there's a local person I may have fabricate and anodize some brackets.

The last piece of this never ending puzzle is to figure out which direction to go with replacing the starter button cluster. A number of options to go with from Jetprime, DucaBike (jetprime made), CNC Racing to either replace the throttle housing with a buttoned housing or clamp bracket for the RCS. There are a few other manufacturers of button clusters but I've forgotten who they are at the moment but I think one of them was based in England.

IMG_0630.jpegIMG_0637.jpeg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Little bits and pieces here and there. Some black Ti bolts for the handlbar and topclamp.

I had hoped to install some full six carbon fiber brackets for the reservoirs but it turns out that the master cylinders on the V2 are different than the 1199/1299 that the brackets were made for. Considering I'm eyeing an upgrade to corsa cortas and possibly new calipers I'm not too worried about it. The first question of course is which calipers to go with. Stylema's seem like a no brainer but I'm also considering M4s or M50s as they're half as much and likely well enough suited for this class of bike. The crazy part of me thinks "hey, stylema's are $900, why not just go up to the GP4RX for $1400". I've also asked my local dealer about the availability of Stylema R's but as near as I can tell those are only offered on the V4R and aren't available standalone yet.

I'll need to make a decison on the caliper before figuring out which MC to go with but it will be something of the RCS variety. It's possible that the Corsa Corta RR will be released by the time I make a move on all of that stuff but I have no idea how much those will cost. Additionally, given the clearance issues I've encounted due to the handle bars I might have some challenges getting a good setup for the reservoirs.

For the RCS I see that AEM Factory and Motocorse make units that attach directly to the MC. Seems like they'll have enough clearance but it's hard to say without knowing exact dimensions. I'm a bit skittish on these reservoirs under track use and if they'll hold up to the task. Vibration is the biggest concern and I've seen elsewhere that the recommendation from Motocorse is to frequently check the tightness of the joining bolt but that means dipping a wrench into the brake fluid which sounds like a recipe for contaminants and all too frequent exposure to air which increases the opportunity for moisture to find it's way into the brake system.

I've also considered using the brembo bracket+reservoir kit. The challenge here is that, near as I can tell, only the brake side bracket is offered in Satin Black (and apparently only from Omnia Racing) and I'm trying to get as much black as I can into the cockpit. If it comes to it, there's a local person I may have fabricate and anodize some brackets.

The last piece of this never ending puzzle is to figure out which direction to go with replacing the starter button cluster. A number of options to go with from Jetprime, DucaBike (jetprime made), CNC Racing to either replace the throttle housing with a buttoned housing or clamp bracket for the RCS. There are a few other manufacturers of button clusters but I've forgotten who they are at the moment but I think one of them was based in England.

View attachment 11840View attachment 11841
The custom manufacturer for the Starter Button is Bike Sport Development, UK.
Here is his website: Contact Us
Please tell him Howard from DUCATImodified.com forum refer you ;)

betabit

After about 150 miles or so the clutch has started slipping like crazy. A slight twist of the throttle and engine revs in every gear so it's taken a very light touch to get plate engagement. I've bled the clutch lines, inspected the clutch pack height, and cleaned everything with brake cleaner. I'm a little stumped on how to proceed short of buying a new clutch pack.

bablo_escopar

After about 150 miles or so the clutch has started slipping like crazy. A slight twist of the throttle and engine revs in every gear so it's taken a very light touch to get plate engagement. I've bled the clutch lines, inspected the clutch pack height, and cleaned everything with brake cleaner. I'm a little stumped on how to proceed short of buying a new clutch pack.
Thinking of installing the STM on my V2 as well, but this post & someone else having the same issue is keeping me from pulling the trigger... May go with EVR which seem better at preventing slipping. Keep us posted!

betabit

Thinking of installing the STM on my V2 as well, but this post & someone else having the same issue is keeping me from pulling the trigger... May go with EVR which seem better at preventing slipping. Keep us posted!
Oh, where else have you seen this issue? I’ve tried a million different things to correct the issue and none of them work and it’s making me crazy.

bablo_escopar

Oh, where else have you seen this issue? I’ve tried a million different things to correct the issue and none of them work and it’s making me crazy.
Track acquaintance, and if I'm not mistaken he said a couple of worn plates were usually the culprit, but mentioned he was swapping out the basket & plates before recommended maintenance.
Q: Is your bike strictly track or you also putting street miles on it?
Heat can also cause slipping, but seems like STM kit is well ventilated.
I've also heard some slipping issues on the v4 were due to air in hydraulics & solved by bleeding, but you said you did that 🤷‍♂️
Have you taken it apart, inspected & reinstalled?

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion EVR makes the best slipper out there. STM is over complicated and uses a spider spring that I'm not crazy about. The whole EVR design is superior IMO. Not having to rotate and move the whole clutch hub in its slipper function is very clever too. I should mention I don't run EVR because I'm a poor but if I had the pick of any it would be EVR.